Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

Here's a map that shows the evacuation zones

http://project.wnyc.org/news-maps/hurricane-zones/hurricane-zones.html

Hopefully it will have meaning to those of you who are less geographically-challenged than I am!

Thanks for this.

Looks like Mid Town itself is not in an evac zone, but all of down town is and even a piece just north near the GWB. All of the approaches from both airports have problems on the way and of course the tunnels and bridges will probably be closed, at least to in-coming and/or non-emergency traffic over from New Jersey. My guess is that all of Manhattan will be cut off.

Obviously the discussion here has been about disembarking/embarking passsengers and all the problems associated with getting to/away from the pier. Has HAL figured out who is going to show up for work to check passengers in and handle luggage when public transportation is being shut down on Saturday at noon? How is the ship going to be resupplied if vendors cannot get to the pier?

It looks like Seattle doesn't have a clue as to how incredibly serious this hurricane is.

I do not want to post the entire article here, nor do I wish to post bits and pieces as I think the entire article posted today from Cruise Industry News regarding the Port needs to be taken in its entirety.

Read for yourself.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6041-new-york-port-status-will-the-coast-guard-close-it-.html

Joanie

Thanks Joanie - now I am really wondering????????:confused::confused: how are they even going to get the supplies they need. Betting they change plans at the last minute and pity the poor passengers who have flights going out two days before. Just glad I'm not on this one - and I pray all stay safe;)

The timing of this Hurricane is simply the worst case senario for the Veendam. I think it is quite clear that there is only one option - stay at sea until Monday! The problem I suspect they are struggling with is that this is exactlly opposite to the stragegy they implemented. They cut their current trip short and planned to out run the storm arriving early, hoping the storm would pass before the next scheduled departure. Now they are faced with a decision to hold at sea knowing in retrospect they could have enjoyed their full time in Bermuda. It will be very interesting to see what decisions are ultimatley made. Unfortuneatly the passengers of both cruises will be adversely affected. I am sad for them!

The timing of this Hurricane is simply the worst case senario for the Veendam. I think it is quite clear that there is only one option - stay at sea until Monday! The problem I suspect they are struggling with is that this is exactlly opposite to the stragegy they implemented. They cut their current trip short and planned to out run the storm arriving early, hoping the storm would pass before the next scheduled departure. Now they are faced with a decision to hold at sea knowing in retrospect they could have enjoyed their full time in Bermuda. It will be very interesting to see what decisions are ultimatley made. Unfortuneatly the passengers of both cruises will be adversely affected. I am sad for them!

You're so right...and it is sad for HAL but especially sad for the current and embarking passengers. I don't know what the right decision was, and none of us will know until Monday, but I would think the San Juan problems earlier in the week would have provided a good deal of knowledge. I am hoping that Irene is not as terrible as the news reports and everything will go as planned. Cherie

It just goes from bad to worse. Catching up just now I was relieved when I saw that HAL was no longer suggesting their passengers take the opportunity to "enjoy New York", but then I see nothing else was improved upon.

For days the cautions have been clear about this storm and the extraordinary track it will likely take. I know HAL is in Seattle, but in this modern age they have access to the same information we do.

They should have kept Veendam in Bermuda (lucky people on her this week) and delayed her return to early next week. At sea is a lousy option because it will be pretty nasty out there as Irene moves up the coast. Every passenger should have been given an option of canceling rather than have over 1000 people descend on a city preparing for a disaster.

HAL could have offered a shortened version of the cruise so they could be back on schedule next week. Obviously a credit would be in order. But those who didn't want to do that should not have to; they should receive a credit toward another like cruise and have a year to use that credit.

Instead, someone/s without an grain of common sense or an ounce of good sense has/have created a nightmare for all passengers about to embark and all those who need to disembark and somehow find a way home.

Inexcusable. I'm surprised ... I wouldn't have expected this from HAL.

It just goes from bad to worse. Catching up just now I was relieved when I saw that HAL was no longer suggesting their passengers take the opportunity to "enjoy New York", but then I see nothing else was improved upon.

For days the cautions have been clear about this storm and the extraordinary track it will likely take. I know HAL is in Seattle, but in this modern age they have access to the same information we do.

They should have kept Veendam in Bermuda (lucky people on her this week) and delayed her return to early next week. At sea is a lousy option because it will be pretty nasty out there as Irene moves up the coast. Every passenger should have been given an option of canceling rather than have over 1000 people descend on a city preparing for a disaster.

HAL could have offered a shortened version of the cruise so they could be back on schedule next week. Obviously a credit would be in order. But those who didn't want to do that should not have to; they should receive a credit toward another like cruise and have a year to use that credit.

Instead, someone/s without an grain of common sense or an ounce of good sense has/have created a nightmare for all passengers about to embark and all those who need to disembark and somehow find a way home.

I agree 100%.In addition to the mass transit closures that have already been posted, major parkways in Connecticut and New Jersey are being closed down. Someone made a very bad decision.

I think your point about staying away 'til Monday is best.

I agree 100%. Someone made a very bad decision.

You will not know it was a bad decision until Sunday or Monday. Previous "Mother Nature" events have turned out differently than "advertized." Hopefully all of the embarking passengers will be fine. It is unfortunate for the current passengers that their cruise was cut short. I can't imagine that HAL will not make it "right" with them. Cherie

You will not know it was a bad decision until Sunday or Monday. Previous "Mother Nature" events have turned out differently than "advertized." Hopefully all of the embarking passengers will be fine. It is unfortunate for the current passengers that their cruise was cut short. I can't imagine that HAL will not make it "right" with them. Cherie

I disagree. We know it's a bad decision NOW. Irene isn't a maybe or a what-if. she is on her way.

I have lived through a lot of hurricanes in NJ, and only once did one completely fizzle after being predicted to hit us. The center of the storm is about to hit NC, and all the computer models I've seen agree that it's heading right up the NJ shore to NYC. (Well, not ALL models. one bizarre model shows Irene turning west and reaching Buffalo NY. Don't know what that computer has been smoking!)

I have never seen a government response in advance of a storm like this. Evacuations are being ordered and more than one official has said that people who do not evacuate when told to will not be rescued. What they say is National guard and other emergency workers "will not be put in harm's way" for people who ignore the order.

I read the article on Joanie's link. The port officials have the final say on closing the port. they say they've been in contact with all the cruise lines. So HAL can't say they didn't know what was going on.

Indeed we will not know the outcome untill the storm has passed, however you can only work with the information at hand. What I do not understand is that all forecasts had the storm over NYC on Sunday. I guess it made sense to beat the storm and arrive early for the passengers onboard, but what exactly were they thinking for those that had to embark in the middle of a storm. It should have been obvious that there would be numerous airline delays etc.

I live here in Manhattan - for anyone thinking about coming into the city - forget about it. The amount of rain predicted will overwhelm the streets & subways - all transit shuts down Saturday at noon - including buses subways. the Long Island Rail Road, airports, Metro North & amtrak.

Hal is nuts - enjoy NYC....flying debris is a major concern...no transportation & anyone is here will be bunkered down at home.

I hope evryone takes afety first - the authorities here have reminded people that after the winds hit 55 mph rescue people - firemen & police will not be guaranteed.

The have increased the evacuations zones......how HAL expects to safely transport passengeres during the next 36 hours is beyond the imagination.

for being so thoughtful.....unfortunately the corporate culture has stripped any humanity from this industry......I live in NYC & we are preparing for one heck of a storm that will start Sat afternoon & all day sunday.

HAL is showing its true colors & believe me they are not Dutch!!!!

If we were on the sailing that is supposed to occur on Aug 28, we'd have already been en route -- to a potential disaster area. We'd be 2 additional people (not to mention all the other cruise pax who would be arriving) adding to the load that the Emergency Services workers would have to deal with. IMHO HAL's ridiculous "travel advisories" for the Aug 28 sailing are borderline criminal. "Yes, come to New York City" is what they are saying, when you boil down the advisory to its essence. No transportation, possibly no shelter, uncertain water and food supply, and an overtaxed Emergency Services department, but come to New York. :eek: :( The Mayor and the EP people are telling the residents to GET OUT, but HAL is telling its pax to c'mon down.

I'm very disappointed -- I'd have thought that HAL was a more responsible corporate citizen than is currently being demonstrated.

We originallly purchased airport transfers. Today we find out that our flight has been cancelled......we've opted to drive. So, I called to cancel our airport transfers.....too bad...you are within 3 days of sailing - no refunds for you!!!

I asked, what if the airport is closed? How do I use my transfers then? Oh, that will never happen.

I am rather annoyed at this point in time.....:mad:

Just saw a tweet from Delta, no operations at LGA/JFK/EWR on Sunday 8/28.

Just posted by United -

For the safety of our customers & co-workers, United and Continental will stop flights to and from the East Coast starting tomorrow. We plan to resume full operations on Monday, Aug. 29.

I think that customer service rep could use (more) training. :rolleyes: Obviously, she doesn't have a clue.

I don't think there'll be much argument now trying to get a refund. Clearly, a transfer was 'not to be'.

We certainly do know now that it was a bad decision. Even if the storm were to fizzle out and not make a direct hit on NY, which is not likely, NYC will still be shut down beginning at noon tomorrow. No way can Hal pull this off. It makes me wonder if this was a financial decision.

On a lighter note, perhaps the decision was made by the same person who decided the Veendam needed a poolette.

We certainly do know now that it was a bad decision. Even if the storm were to fizzle out and not make a direct hit on NY, which is not likely, NYC will still be shut down beginning at noon tomorrow. No way can Hal pull this off. It makes me wonder if this was a financial decision.

On a lighter note, perhaps the decision was made by the same person who decided the Veendam needed a poolette.

That is just too funny!!

There is a new update on HAL's site (per their post on Facebook).

basically - Veendam will arrive in port on Saturday. Current cruisers may leave Sat or Sun. Next cruise will depart Monday. Provided there is port access - cruisers can board on Sun or Monday.

Mayor Bloomberg had a LIVE conference at 2:00 PM NY time that the subways and other pieces of mass transit would start to shut down at noon on Saturday, it is now 8:25 PM in NY, and NO DECISION by HAL yet? They have known for over 6 hours that they had a major issue with JUST the mass transit being shut down, not to mention an approaching hurricane. I would hope the people who are supposed to be sailing the Veendam would know SOMETHING more concrete by now! I really feel for them (not to mention EVERYONE in Irene's path).

I have to agree with you 100%. HAL is not doing the right thing. This delay of theirs is totally inexcusable. Considering that Carnival Lines did this much earlier today makes it look even worse for HAL:(

Joanie

Archived