Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

ms Veendam August 28, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm. Guests are welcome to embark as scheduled on Sunday or may embark on the ship Monday morning from 8:00 am until 1:00 pm. Weather permitting, shuttles will operate from the ship into areas within Manhattan for guests' convenience.

The revised itinerary is below:

Joanie

I would not want to sit/sleep on the ship in the water in New York on Sunday night....

Well, that is a HUGE issue, I wonder what their plan is now? This is awful, I pray for everyone in Irene's path, and I hope they ALL listen to the warnings and get out as soon as they can.

I'm worried too, not only for the locals but passengers on both HAL/Princess and whoever else has ships scheduled to depart NYC this weekend.

Princess hasn't really announced anything on the Caribbean Princess sailing either for 8/27.

Perhaps since Bloomberg just made the announcement a little while ago they are considering their options.

I'm on the 9/10 sailing of the CB and yikes my travel partner is going nuts.

AND...if it looks to be as bad as they say, NYC may tell them they CAN'T stay at the pier after they arrive on Saturday....

I am really surprised the Veendam is staying at the dock Sunday and more than surprised that they are allowing pax on board during the storm. It sounds like it could be a safety issue. I thought ships really got banged around while docked in a storm? Any of you sailors have an opinion?

The mayor just issued a call for all New Yorkers to stay indoors for 24 hours from 9 PM Saturday, which will obviously impact boarding the Veendam (assuming she's even at the dock). Also, all public transportation here (subway, bus, LIRR) is shutting down at noon tomorrow (Saturday).

I am really surprised the Veendam is staying at the dock Sunday and more than surprised that they are allowing pax on board during the storm. It sounds like it could be a safety issue. I thought ships really got banged around while docked in a storm? Any of you sailors have an opinion?

The Navy sent all the ships in Norfolk VA out to sea yesterday, does that say something.

I wonder if Seattle doesn't know the following:

NYC is being evacuated for the first time ever! NYC MTA is shutting down at noon on Sat. Mayor Bloomberg wants people to evacuate ASAP not wait until the last minute. Quite possibly it would not be up and running until midday on Monday. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Hurricane-Irene-NYC-New-Jersey-Long-Island-Weekend-Forecast-128318923.html

In NJ the Garden State Parkway Southbound is closing as well today as of 8 PM. http://blogs.app.com/capitolquickies/2011/08/26/christie-garden-state-parkway-south-closing-tonight/

In CT the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway may be closed as well. Metro North may also be affected. http://www.courant.com/news/weather/hc-hurricane-irene-0827-20110826,0,2751267.story

Laura

I wish safety to all passengers disembarking and those embarking.(8/27 & 8/28) It doesn't seem a 2pm departure will help Long Islander and New Jersey passengers with the mass transit systems shut down.

Maybe HAL will go the NCL route..

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Hurricane Irene Update # 4

August 26, 2011, 2 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company continues to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Irene which is currently forecasted to impact the New York area late Saturday and Sunday. Because of the storm, we are modifying the following itineraries:

Norwegian Jewel will return to New York early on Saturday, August 27 and guests currently on board will disembark beginning at 6 am. Embarkation for the August 27 cruise will commence earlier beginning at 10 am. The ship will depart three hours earlier than scheduled at 1 pm. All guests are advised to arrive at the pier between 10 am and noon. Once the ship is underway, there may be a change to the scheduled Bahamas & Florida itinerary.

Norwegian Gem will remain at sea, keeping a safe distance from the storm, on Sunday, August 28 instead of returning to New York as scheduled. The ship will arrive in New York at 8 am on Monday, August 29. All guests for the August 28 cruise are asked to arrive at the pier on Monday, August 29 beginning at noon. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at 4 pm on Monday en route to Bermuda.

Norwegian Dawn is sailing from Boston to Bermuda today as scheduled.

Norwegian Sky is sailing from Miami today as scheduled. The ship will spend a day at sea on Saturday, August 27 instead of calling at Great Strirrup Cay, Bahamas. The ship will visit Nassau as scheduled on Sunday, August 28.

Guests on board the vessels will be kept up to date by the ship’s Captain. It is also important to note that we will continue to closely monitor the storm and if the path changes, we may need to modify these itineraries.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding. If there are any further changes, we will update this site. Thank you.

Just for the record I was not doing that. What I was saying is that we all do need to have sympathy for each other and not make glib remarks like "it's beautiful here". That's just wrong. I am also very worried about this storm as I know people in affected areas. I'm sorry if you could not see that.

I agree with you, Lorekauf.

You Did Not do that. I never thought you did. :)

I don't understand the Veendam HAL travel advisory. It makes no sense when put into the perspective of what is happening and about to happen in NYC. Certainly decision makers in Seattle have to have heard the preparations and the announcements by the mayor.

I don't understand the Veendam HAL travel advisory. It makes no sense when put into the perspective of what is happening and about to happen in NYC. Certainly decision makers in Seattle have to have heard the preparations and the announcements by the mayor.

HAL was slow in coming out with the statement that's in the Advisories now, and I suspect they will eventually announce different plans.

HAL was slow in coming out with the statement that's in the Advisories now, and I suspect they will eventually announce different plans.

And meanwhile pax have no idea what to do and have had to change any plans, like hotels, several times. HAL seems bound and determined to have pax on that ship on Sunday no matter the danger of being tied up at a dock during a big storm. They have minimized the whole situation from the beginning. Why? In other words you are getting Sunday on the ship, so it is still a 7 day cruise. I'll let you read between those lines yourself.

ms Veendam August 28, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm. Guests are welcome to embark as scheduled on Sunday or may embark on the ship Monday morning from 8:00 am until 1:00 pm. Weather permitting, shuttles will operate from the ship into areas within Manhattan for guests' convenience.

The revised itinerary is below:

DATE LOCATION ARRIVE DEPART

Sunday, Aug 28 New York overnight

Monday, Aug 29 New York 2 pm

Tuesday, Aug 30 At Sea

Wednesday, Aug 31 Hamilton, Bermuda 9 am overnight

Thursday, Sept 1 Hamilton, Bermuda overnight

Friday, Sept 2 Hamilton, Bermuda 2 pm

Saturday, Sept 3 At Sea

Sunday, Sept 4 New York 7am

And meanwhile pax have no idea what to do and have had to change any plans, like hotels, several times. HAL seems bound and determined to have pax on that ship on Sunday no matter the danger of being tied up at a dock during a big storm. They have minimized the whole situation from the beginning. Why? Now they say they are going to provide shuttles to take pax into the city to see the sites! Good luck with that. Could that legitimately be called an excursion? In other words you are getting Sunday on the ship and we are providing entertainment, so it is still a 7 day cruise. I'll let you read between those lines yourself.

<snip>

That's just crazy. The mayor is shutting down all transport in order to keep vehicles and people off the streets. And HAL wants to do just the opposite?

I think HAL should have done what NCL is doing, hang out at sea east of the storm path and arrive in NYC a day late. That leaves people who arrive on Sunday without somewhere to go. But how many pax will be able to arrive on Sunday anyhow??? At some point NYC-area airspace will be closed. Amtrak will stop running. (They're already not running south of DC) Roads will be closed.

As for the safety issue of staying at a dock during a hurricane, the only reason I can think of that they'd be safe is that they're pretty far up the river, and there would be piers downstream and "downstorm" to protect them from waves. HAL must be in contact with the port authority, and they should be able to help HAL decide what's safe. Remember San Juan, the port told the ships to GET OUT. If NYC isn't telling HAL to stay out, they must believe it will be safe.

Completely agree with everyone on how ridiculous HAL is being - I am booked on the Veendam for this Sunday - had my TA call and say we would gladly swicth to the Sunday 9/11 sailing - there are plenty of cabins, they'd still get their $$, and they'd have one less irate pax deal with this weekend...they said no...who is running this business?!?!?!? :confused:

So, if the weather 'is Not permitting' to run the shuttles, how are individual guests supposed to get transportation from hotels to the ship? If they can't run shuttles, how many taxis or limos are going to be available? :confused: Of course, that cannot be the final advisory..... at best, it can only be an interrum annoucement with changes coming at a later time.

That's just crazy. The mayor is shutting down all transport in order to keep vehicles and people off the streets. And HAL wants to do just the opposite?

I think HAL should have done what NCL is doing, hang out at sea east of the storm path and arrive in NYC a day late. That leaves people who arrive on Sunday without somewhere to go. But how many pax will be able to arrive on Sunday anyhow??? At some point NYC-area airspace will be closed. Amtrak will stop running. (They're already not running south of DC) Roads will be closed.

As for the safety issue of staying at a dock during a hurricane, the only reason I can think of that they'd be safe is that they're pretty far up the river, and there would be piers downstream and "downstorm" to protect them from waves. HAL must be in contact with the port authority, and they should be able to help HAL decide what's safe. Remember San Juan, the port told the ships to GET OUT. If NYC isn't telling HAL to stay out, they must believe it will be safe.

Kathy-

I edited out that the shuttles were to take pax into the city to see the sights. I reread the advisories and think the shuttles are for transportation to the ship. How that will be possible or how that would be organized who knows. I guess a schedule would be put on the website, but how people would get to an assigned place for the shuttle is another story.

I wish more 8/28 pax would report in here and tell us their plans, etc.

We originallly purchased airport transfers. Today we find out that our flight has been cancelled......we've opted to drive. So, I called to cancel our airport transfers.....too bad...you are within 3 days of sailing - no refunds for you!!!

I asked, what if the airport is closed? How do I use my transfers then? Oh, that will never happen.

I am rather annoyed at this point in time.....:mad:

While mass transit will be shut down on Sunday and probably much of Monday till they get it up and running again, there has been no restrictions yet as far as taxis, cars, or limos.

Personally, I can now see a reason for cancel for any reason insurance. Even living near the pier, I would not make my way down there on Sunday. There will be many downed trees, streets flooded, power outages (no traffic lights working) and the same conditions on Monday.

Kathy-

I edited out that the shuttles were to take pax into the city to see the sights. I reread the advisories and think the shuttles are for transportation to the ship. How that will be possible or how that would be organized who knows. I guess a schedule would be put on the website, but how people would get to an assigned place for the shuttle is another story.

I wish more 8/28 pax would report in here and tell us their plans, etc.

They probably don't know what their plans are because their plans depend on HAL's plans.

If we were on the sailing that is supposed to occur on Aug 28, we'd have already been en route -- to a potential disaster area. We'd be 2 additional people (not to mention all the other cruise pax who would be arriving) adding to the load that the Emergency Services workers would have to deal with. IMHO HAL's ridiculous "travel advisories" for the Aug 28 sailing are borderline criminal. "Yes, come to New York City" is what they are saying, when you boil down the advisory to its essence. No transportation, possibly no shelter, uncertain water and food supply, and an overtaxed Emergency Services department, but come to New York. :eek: :( The Mayor and the EP people are telling the residents to GET OUT, but HAL is telling its pax to c'mon down.

I'm very disappointed -- I'd have thought that HAL was a more responsible corporate citizen than is currently being demonstrated.

Is the New York dock area different from the dock area in San Juan where ships were asked to leave? If the weather is as predicted, won't the cruise ships be told to go out to sea? And...as someone else has said, if streets are flooded how will HAL provided transportation into the city? I'm not an expert, just curious. Cherie

If we were on the sailing that is supposed to occur on Aug 28, we'd have already been en route -- to a potential disaster area. We'd be 2 additional people (not to mention all the other cruise pax who would be arriving) adding to the load that the Emergency Services workers would have to deal with. IMHO HAL's ridiculous "travel advisories" for the Aug 28 sailing are borderline criminal. "Yes, come to New York City" is what they are saying, when you boil down the advisory to its essence. No transportation, possibly no shelter, uncertain water and food supply, and an overtaxed Emergency Services department, but come to New York. :eek: :( The Mayor and the EP people are telling the residents to GET OUT, but HAL is telling its pax to c'mon down.

I'm very disappointed -- I'd have thought that HAL was a more responsible corporate citizen than is currently being demonstrated.

well said - frustrating beyond belief

I have to admit this is the first time I have been totally shocked by what HAL is doing. I would have thought they would be doing exactly what NCL was doing. Sadly it is not just hear say from the boards but based on what is on HAL's web site. I just cannot believe what they are doing :confused:

I do not want to post the entire article here, nor do I wish to post bits and pieces as I think the entire article posted today from Cruise Industry News regarding the Port needs to be taken in its entirety.

Read for yourself.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6041-new-york-port-status-will-the-coast-guard-close-it-.html

Joanie

Archived