Sensation - IRENE... would you board today?

Tom-n-Cheryl

I have not read anything, though I could have missed it, that indicates any change to the plans for the (3 night) Sensation leaving here this afternoon.

Check out the wave models HERE.

Check out the local marine forecast HERE, summary:

... Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect...

... Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Boat owners and captains of small craft should rush to completion

the securing of their craft. Remain in port!

... Winds and seas...

as Hurricane Irene approaches... sustained tropical storm force

winds are expected to begin this afternoon across the offshore

waters south of Sebastian Inlet and spread north across the

offshore waters by this evening. Across the near shore waters...

sustained tropical storm force winds near 35 knots are expected

this evening south of Sebastian Inlet and spread north through

tonight. Seas will build to 20 to 25 feet across the offshore

waters and 12 to 16 feet near shore.

Here is a snippet from a zone just southeast of that area - I will highlight the part I really "like":

Seas will rapidly increase through the day today... peak tonight into

Friday morning... then gradually subside through the weekend. Seas

are expected to reach 10 to 15 feet. However... mariners must keep in

mind that individual wave heights may reach up to twice these

heights... especially due to the fact that winds and seas will be out

of the northerly direction opposing the Gulf Stream.

------------------------

Sure, I understand that the Sensation is not a "small craft", but I would wager that those heading out into the Atlantic this afternoon may beg to differ! I am not an expert in these matters - so I am not second guessing their decision. I can just imagine the pressure this puts Carnival under! I LOVE to cruise, though I would contemplate skipping this one today (which I don't have booked anyway, LOL) and lose the $$. Of course those with "cancel for any reason" insurance are in the driver's seat!!

Who knows, perhaps just several rough hours, then it will settle down - for a nice finish to the cruise. Either way, glad I am on land!!

Tom

I have not read anything, though I could have missed it, that indicates any change to the plans for the (3 night) Sensation leaving here this afternoon.

... Winds and seas...

Here is a snippet from a zone just southeast of that area - I will highlight the part I really "like":

------------------------

Sure, I understand that the Sensation is not a "small craft", but I would wager that those heading out into the Atlantic this afternoon may beg to differ! I am not an expert in these matters - so I am not second guessing their decision. I can just imagine the pressure this puts Carnival under! I LOVE to cruise, though I would contemplate skipping this one today (which I don't have booked anyway, LOL) and lose the $$. Of course those with "cancel for any reason" insurance are in the driver's seat!!

Who knows, perhaps just several rough hours, then it will settle down - for a nice finish to the cruise. Either way, glad I am on land!!

Tom

Good questions.... I know we would still board, but it certainly not be smooth sailing.

Tom - I've been watching that one myself and we are not booked on this sailing. I don't see how they can go to the Bahamas since it seems to me that the Sensation would have to go through the storm to get there. I'll keep looking to see if any changes are made.

I just read this on CNN, but it was referring to yesterday.. LINK:

Those ships include the Carnival Sensation, which had been docked in Freeport, Bahamas, but is coming back to Port Canaveral, Florida, on Wednesday night -- or several hours earlier than scheduled -- to stay out of harm's way, said Jennifer de la Cruz, a Carnival spokeswoman.

Tom

If the ship can leave, you will need to be on it unless you have cancel for any reason insurance. You may just head to Key West. I would go and enjoy the experience. Unless Carnival cancels...be on the ship or lose everything.

if any offer was made, i would not take the cruise.

and not for the waves.

it would be because of my unhappy fellow cruisers who would just set a bad tone.

torches and pitchforks don't belong on a cruise.

I hate seeing those crowds wandering the halls....

However one or two bad days on a three day cruise would have me wondering why I am there.

Another reason why we stick to 7-8 day cruises.

Good points also. I have found with short cruises that I am just getting warmed up when its time to get off. The other thing is we have to fly to get there anyways so the economics don't work really well.

i feel sorry for the folks who have planned this as a vacation.

we often cruise during the storm season, but book a 7 day as there is more flexability to get around the storm. a 3 dayer doesnt offer much flexability.

I would go in a minute .. would love to be on the ship with high seas.

I understand that host mach was on a crossing with 30 footers.. while not a vacation for most , for me it would be a adventure!

I wouldn't cancel my cruise because of a hurricane, either. It is a crap shoot whether you hit good or bad weather on any cruise - just better odds of bad weather during hurricane season. Unfortunately, my 2 of my 3 summer sailings have all been interrupted/deviated because of named storms. And it looks like my Miracle sailing tomorrow will make it 3 out of 4!:p

We had the Glory scheduled last year...and Earl got right in the way.

We were no shows....lost the entire fare.

However, we live right by the port (10 minutes by cab) so no plane fares were involved.

The money was spent...and I figured going on the cruise would only compound the problem. (I heard that it was a very bumpy ride and excursions canceled...so I made the right decision for me.)

I have the same trip scheduled this year...on 9/1. I have "my patches" ready.

I understand that host mach was on a crossing with 30 footers.. while not a vacation for most , for me it would be a adventure!

Wasnt that the Dream out of NY? Maybe it was moving it to FL he was on?

It was just out of NY where they had those big waves though. Irene might toss the waters up there again this time.

I've been wondering the same thing about the Fascination, being that it's the one we sail most often, out of Jacksonville. They are scheduled to leave today for a 4-day. Now, if they leave, and head down the coast it will be very rough. Would they go North then around the storm and try to just do a CTN??

Anyway, this is one reason why I don't often cruise in August.:cool:

Best of luck to those who are!

We did a 4 day to the Bahamas with 24' waves and it was rough. First time I ever got seasick. I probably wouldn't do it again. I heard on ABC this morning that another storm has developed off Africa which will be Jose. Anyone know how many days it takes the storms to go from Africa to the Caribbean?

We did a 4 day to the Bahamas with 24' waves and it was rough. First time I ever got seasick. I probably wouldn't do it again. I heard on ABC this morning that another storm has developed off Africa which will be Jose. Anyone know how many days it takes the storms to go from Africa to the Caribbean?

All the models have it going north and not toward the US at all so there should be no worries from that one!

... Winds and seas...

------------------------

Tom

I'd go. They are going down the coast of Florida to Key West for an overnight. They ought to have a fairly good cruise.

CARNIVAL SENSATION – 8/25/11

We have decided to cancel our visit to Nassau, and instead, will provide an overnight call on the beautiful port of Key West on Friday.

Below is our revised itinerary:

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart_

Thu Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Fri Key West, FL 12:00PM overnight

Sat Key West, FL overnight 6:00 AM

Sun Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 8:00 AM

I'd go. They are going down the coast of Florida to Key West for an overnight. They ought to have a fairly good cruise.

CARNIVAL SENSATION – 8/25/11

We have decided to cancel our visit to Nassau, and instead, will provide an overnight call on the beautiful port of Key West on Friday.

Below is our revised itinerary:

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart_

Thu Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM

Fri Key West, FL 12:00PM overnight

Sat Key West, FL overnight 6:00 AM

Sun Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 8:00 AM

Key West from noon until 6am?! I think that's a better itinerary than they had! :D

Archived