Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

Very creative forum. Some people have unique ideas. The ipad idea isn't really new. I've been in restaurants(Nordstrom's and MOMA), where you order as you come in, sit down and a server brings your order...no waiter needed to take your order. You don't have a dedicated server....more like a team. You get food quickly. My guess is that a wait person will take your order and a different team will bring the food as it is ready. That way the food will arrive quicker....maybe hotter. On my last X cruise, my waitress waited for all 16 dinners in her station to be ready before she and her assistant brought the dinners. Often we got cold food. If some other group was responsible for delivering the food, maybe the hot food will really be hot.

Menus available on the cabin screens would be a help. Often knowing what is being served in the MDR can help me decide whether or not to dine in the MDR, specialty venue, or buffet. If I see a menu ahead of the meal and it doesn't have anything that really appeals to me, I might dine someplace else. On my last cruise, we left the dining room one night when the menu wasn't good....and ate at the buffet.

I hope that they don't start charging for items on the MDR menu. I agree that the food on X has declined in the past few years. It's still acceptable....and it is included in my basic cruise fare. When I have to start paying extra to eat in the MDR, then I will switch to another cruiseline or just stop cruising.

Yes, Gonzo, I know about Johnny Rockets. I was on Voyager in Feb 2011.

I don't consider them to be fast food along the lines of a Mickey D or a Wendy's.

Not sure just how much different they are. Both offer similar standard limited menus though JRs does offer some entertainment and an old-time diner look. Their burgers are better than those found on the warming trays of the buffet restaurants.

Menus available on the cabin screens would be a help. Often knowing what is being served in the MDR can help me decide whether or not to dine in the MDR, specialty venue, or buffet. If I see a menu ahead of the meal and it doesn't have anything that really appeals to me, I might dine someplace else. On my last cruise, we left the dining room one night when the menu wasn't good....and ate at the buffet..

The menu is available on a display board at the entrance to the dining room. It's usually posted there in the morning and available to view throughout the day.

The menu is available on a display board at the entrance to the dining room. It's usually posted there in the morning and available to view throughout the day.

You are correct and it has been that way for years. Actually it is posted

on both portside and starboard of the dining room.

Not sure just how much different they are. Both offer similar standard limited menus though JRs does offer some entertainment and an old-time diner look. Their burgers are better than those found on the warming trays of the buffet restaurants.

I would call it fast food but you don't order it at a counter like at Wendy's and McDs . There is a waiter who comes to the table, takes your order and brings it back. Plus, I think the preparation in the kitchen is a little different - not as much of an assembly line effect.

Why is speed important? I would rather they slowed down the meal service it is much more rushed these days. I hate it when the servers start clearing away plates before everyone at the table has finished the course or even worse as was happening on our last trip, even though we had all ordered the same number of courses, they were serving the next course to individuals as soon as they finished the previous one regardless of whether their partner or the guest sitting next to them was finished that course - very bad form!

According to Jaques Van Staden -VP culinary ops- Celebrity will be making an announcement in September regarding how it plans to change the main dining room experience on its ships.

"How passengers receive their meals will be completely different from other cruise ships. Our new main restaurant experience will be a trendsetter in the industry."

Exellent: Several years ago we ordered from a waiter in Brugges at an outdoor cafe. He entered our choice on a mobile device and we were served almost immediately. I have often wondered why a shipboard experience could not be similar. Imagine the waiter placing your order electronically while his assistant places the items on a tray for immediate delivery.

WOW! This is an interesting thread with lots of things kicked around and speculated on. On a mobile device potential as noted above' date=' when on the Solstice last month, I noticed that the waiters entered the order at the "wait station" right nearby to our tables. So, right now, they already have a type of electronic system working.

[b']With all of this hype, I hope it's good and significant[/b]. On our galley tour, they noted that 12,000 meals a day are prepared and served for the passengers, plus staff. That's lots and lots of work, meals, effort. With that large of a quantity to be done, I doubt that it is going to be anything too magical. If you have 60-120 meals in a speciality dining place to be done once a day, it is easier to have or create a big new "innovation". We'll see in September.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 24,855 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,427 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Carnival also shows lunch and dinner menus on the TV and has for a while. I assume they still do. And it's a good way for me to decide if I want to go to the MDR or not. But it doesn't seem like a groundbreaking or trendsetting or whatever way to RECEIVE the food. I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of hype over something not that earthshatteringly new.

Why is speed important? I would rather they slowed down the meal service it is much more rushed these days. I hate it when the servers start clearing away plates before everyone at the table has finished the course or even worse as was happening on our last trip, even though we had all ordered the same number of courses, they were serving the next course to individuals as soon as they finished the previous one regardless of whether their partner or the guest sitting next to them was finished that course - very bad form!

I am totally with you on this. It is one of the reasons we now avoid the MDR. There is far too much rushing in our day to day lives - so why rush meals when on holiday.

Sue

I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of hype over something not that earthshatteringly new.

Agreed. It is sort of like all the 'teasers' you see on tv local news about an upcoming story of interest, only to be disapointed when the actual story airs. Sometimes shorter than all the teasers leading up to it....

Agreed. Dining anytime, especially while on an expensive vacation (a cruise is expensive for me at least), should be a nice, relaxed experience, not a cattle call.

The other thing I hate at a restaurant (not a cruiseship, though) is when the waiter hands you the check when you are only halfway through the main course, and then never reappears. Just happened to me the other day - she didn't get a tip...

Agreed. Dining anytime, especially while on an expensive vacation (a cruise is expensive for me at least), should be a nice, relaxed experience, not a cattle call.

The other thing I hate at a restaurant (not a cruiseship, though) is when the waiter hands you the check when you are only halfway through the main course, and then never reappears. Just happened to me the other day - she didn't get a tip...

Probably because her shift ended and she went home for the day. I would hope though that you got a new waiter/waitress, in case you needed something else.

Probably because her shift ended and she went home for the day. I would hope though that you got a new waiter/waitress, in case you needed something else.

Nah. Although that would sort of be a reasonable excuse; she walked by multiple times after giving us the check, and we had to literally stand up and flag her down to get a drink refill.

i like the idea of posting the menues on the TV in advance. I allways thought it was strange to have the ability to order wine for dinner from your TV but you didn't know what they were serving Unless you went to the main dinning room to read the menus.

Major complaint of mine also, although it is second to "still working on it?". I just don't let them take the plate. I like slow dining. Although when I order 2 appetizers, or 3 :o I do let them serve each one so I don't hold up everyone else

:)

Perhaps for the same reason that some always see the glass as half empty and because their memories of the past are usually more nostalgia than reality.

I have been told that ordering your meals on an IPAD is already possible on Eclipse so there goes one suggestion out the window.;)

I disagree with the root of all the negative comments. I am definitely a glass half full kind of person, but I am skeptical about the changes. Why? It seems every time in recent years that Celebrity comes out with something new and exciting it has a price tag attached to it. Don't get me wrong, I love Celebrity and still prefer it by far to any other mainstream cruiseline. So I can't speak for others, but this is why I seem 'negative' about their changes. In almost all cases of late, any new feature has come with an additional cost. Some like the 'menu' style of cruising. I do not - I prefer paying a little more and getting the extras added in as part of the fare. So when a new whatever-it-is is announced for the MDR, I am concerned. And while I agree that sometimes when we look back our glasses can be rose-colored, I think anyone who has cruised X from its inception would tell you the MDR food is as a rule not nearly as good as it used to be, and certainly not as consistently good. There are occasionally exceptions on certain cruises, but as an overall statement I stand by that opinion, rose-colored or not:)

:)

I disagree with the root of all the negative comments. I am definitely a glass half full kind of person, but I am skeptical about the changes. Why? It seems every time in recent years that Celebrity comes out with something new and exciting it has a price tag attached to it. Don't get me wrong, I love Celebrity and still prefer it by far to any other mainstream cruiseline. So I can't speak for others, but this is why I seem 'negative' about their changes. In almost all cases of late, any new feature has come with an additional cost. Some like the 'menu' style of cruising. I do not - I prefer paying a little more and getting the extras added in as part of the fare. So when a new whatever-it-is is announced for the MDR, I am concerned. And while I agree that sometimes when we look back our glasses can be rose-colored, I think anyone who has cruised X from its inception would tell you the MDR food is as a rule not nearly as good as it used to be, and certainly not as consistently good. There are occasionally exceptions on certain cruises, but as an overall statement I stand by that opinion, rose-colored or not:)

Very true. The "alcoves" on Silhouette sounded great - until we learned that they cost upwards of $100 a day just to use them. I can't think of a recent new addition, off the top of my head, by any cruiseline, that didn't involve a charge to use it. Okay, maybe the lawn club is an exception, but even that's been a few years now.

Very true. The "alcoves" on Silhouette sounded great - until we learned that they cost upwards of $100 a day just to use them. I can't think of a recent new addition, off the top of my head, by any cruiseline, that didn't involve a charge to use it. Okay, maybe the lawn club is an exception, but even that's been a few years now.

And the lawn club is being eroded away by for-a-fee venues......

And other former public spaces are being taken over by additional cabins, etc.....

And the lawn club is being eroded away by for-a-fee venues......

And other former public spaces are being taken over by additional cabins, etc.....

I'm not a fan of "a la carte" cruising but I'm guessing onboard profit centers are at least partly responsible for keeping cruise fares as reasonable as they are. It's a matter of picking our poison; either we all pay more in higher cruise fares or we accept the increase in for-a-fee venues supported by those who are willing to pay to play.

I'm not a fan of "a la carte" cruising but I'm guessing onboard profit centers are at least partly responsible for keeping cruise fares as reasonable as they are. It's a matter of picking our poison; either we all pay more in higher cruise fares or we accept the increase in for-a-fee venues supported by those who are willing to pay to play.

Yeah, again I totally agree. The problem with that thinking, however, is that if this a la cart pricing continues to saturate every cruiseline - it's nearly to the point that very little onboard is "free" anymore - then all those extras need to be included when you budget for a cruise. Just like airlines now-a-days, they don't like increasing ticket prices, so they tack on ridiculous fees. If cruiselines keep doing that, then cruising isn't going to remain an "affordable" vacation alternative anymore.

What is it that we are paying for now that used to be free?

It seems that new things that are added are things that couldn't be offered to everyone without a fee as there would not be enough room for everyone and the complaints about never being able to get in would be overwhelming.

There are a lot more options available now, but the things that were included before are still available and there are actually more things included as part of the cruise fare than in the past.

Archived