BEWARE!! RCCL Cruise Care Insurance

I am so sorry for you and the situation you are in. But that being said, that is the way it is with all Travel Insurance. Royal Caribbean's Insurance is no different than any other company's policy with regard to the pre-existing clause. Can you go and postpone the surgery til after the cruise?:(

Sorry about your circumstances. It does say on the insurance page that you need to pay for it to start coverage.

Note: The plan cost is fully refundable if you are canceling outside of Royal Caribbean International's published penalty period. Prices are subject to change without notice. The plan cost may be paid at any time from deposit up to and including final payment; however, the CruiseCare Cancellation and Interruption Penalty Waiver takes effect only upon payment of the plan cost in addition to any required cruise deposit. Payment of your cruise fare deposit amount without the plan cost will not activate this program..

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that you have to pay the insurance premium in addition to your deposit for it to take effect. However I don't blame anyone for assuming that the initial deposit also covers the insurance premium. I always did. If you call RCI and book with a CVP as I do you probably don't have this information in front of you. I would say that the CVP has a resposibility to inform the customer of this during the booking process. Luckily I never had this issue since I have specific needs in travel insurance and normally buy it direct from the provider.

I am finding this thread interesting.

I think this is where a TA, especially a local brick & mortar, is very helpful. Our TA explains the insurance every time we book and we were well aware of paying for the insurance up front.

If you think about it, it makes sense that to cover pre-existing conditions they will not cover you until you have paid their premium. No other insurance covers until you have paid.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope this thread does help those who book insurance.

Thank you Marci22. This is what I plan to do for my future cruises. I am willing to pay more and at least be covered. Wish I had all the money that I have given to RCCL/Berkley in the past for insurance premiums, thinking I had coverage. Guess they don't want to tell you how it really works, then if you don't have a need to use it, you will just keep dropping money into their pot with no questions asked!

Also check Squaremouth and TripInsuranceStore since the three sites will sometimes show you different plans. Be sure to read the comparisons and the exact wording of the pre-existing coverage clauses since each insurance provider, and sometimes individual policies with the same provider, will differ. Pay close attention to any clause that requires the person covered to be medically able to travel at the time the policy is purchased. Every policy that I have ever looked at contains a similarly worded clause.

Wow, I had no idea. We booked back in May onboard the Oasis for a Feb cruise, final payment is due in Dec. We don't have any pre-existing conditions now (knock on wood) but I wonder if I should call now and pay for the insurance, in case anything happens?

I agree this is something that should be explained, I guess it makes sense, but I really had no idea.

I am so sorry for you and the situation you are in. But that being said, that is the way it is with all Travel Insurance. Royal Caribbean's Insurance is no different than any other company's policy with regard to the pre-existing clause. Can you go and postpone the surgery til after the cruise?:(

In our case, the cruise has already taken place. We have been waiting a month to get a reply from Berkley.

The surgery took place 3 weeks before the cruise. We had still planned on going on the cruise at that time. Thinking that if rest was needed, that would be the perfect place to get it. Then found out at that time, that complications from the surgery could cause him to have to be airlifted off the ship! Dr. said no way could he go on the cruise! Since he was first diagnosed with a problem within 60 days prior to final payment, then we were not covered. We were thinking pre-existing would have to have been prior to us "taking" the insurance when we booked the cruise over a year ago.

Yes, it does make sense when you think about it, but who is thinking of every situation that would happen when you are booking! That is the reason we take insurance, for unforseen circumstances! I just feel that the CVP should make this clear at the time of booking the insurance, as the travel agents do! I'm sure I am not the first one this has happened to, so they are aware that this is misleading on their part!!

Also check Squaremouth and TripInsuranceStore since the three sites will sometimes show you different plans. Be sure to read the comparisons and the exact wording of the pre-existing coverage clauses since each insurance provider, and sometimes individual policies with the same provider, will differ. Pay close attention to any clause that requires the person covered to be medically able to travel at the time the policy is purchased. Every policy that I have ever looked at contains a similarly worded clause.

Thank you for the tips!! I will take a look at those and will definitely be dissecting every word!!!

When I booked my Voyager cruise (booked in Feb. for this Nov.) the RCL person told me I had to pay for the insurance at the time of booking the reservation. I cannot recall the context of the conversation but somehow I got the impression that if I wanted the insurance (and I did), I had to take it out right then. I think I remember him saying if one person in the cabin got it, both of them had to get it (because my cruising pal does not usually buy insurance). HAL used to require that the insurance be paid for at booking but has since changed its rules.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense after you think about it. You can't have insurance without paying for it.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why someone would think they're covered by any insurance if it hasn't been paid for. Your car or house wouldn't be covered if you hadn't actually bought and paid for the insurance. :)

They think they are covered because they think they have paid for it. The misconception is that the cruise deposit includes the cost of the insurance. Unless you are specifically informed otherwise, it is an easy mistake to make.

WOW...thanks for the heads up! I also never imagined that we weren't covered at booking if we requested the insurance at that time. Today I went ahead and paid off the rest of our cruise even though it wasn't due until later. Well, at least now it's all paid for!

The Op brings something that I never considered. However, is there's something that I'm missing. If final payment for a 6+ day cruise is 75 days and this is the same timeframe that you can cancel a cruise without penalty--what is the problem?

We usually get insurance thru RCCL and found it to be cheaper. Plus I would get RCCL's leverage if a hiccup occured. I would not want to pay for insurance that I may not use and still have the flexibility to pay for the travel insurance on the due date (75 days) and still be covered. We had the opportunity to utilize Berkley and the claim was handled very professional and got more than I expected. The only disappointment was that they would not pick-up shore-to-shore and wireless telephone expenses as these added up.

Again, am I missing something?

I have found that 3rd party insurance is usually a better deal than cruise insurance. It is more comprehensive, covers you from door to door which is important if you have pre cruise/post cruise plans that is not being sold by the cruise line, covers you if you don't use cruise air if something should happen on the way to port causing or you to have to change flight arrangements, stay overnight, etc. and is cheaper.

On an $1,800 booking per cabin, I was quoted $92 per person for cruise insurance. These people are traveling with their two children so they needed to cover themselves and their two children in a separate cabin for a total cost of $368. Total cost with a 3rd party insurance for all four was $103 for $4,500 coverage.

Occasionally it is cheaper to go with cruise insurance if you are older and/or using their air and hotel package as 3rd party rates are based on a combination of age/cost.

You certainly need to put the pencil to the paper to do some comparison shopping.

Tucker in Texas

Once you add "cancel for any reason" coverage to the independent insurance policies I've looked at, the cost usually becomes comparable to or more expensive than the RCI coverage, especially for those of us who are of a certain age.:)

Sorry about your circumstances. It does say on the insurance page that you need to pay for it to start coverage.

Note: The plan cost is fully refundable if you are canceling outside of Royal Caribbean International's published penalty period. Prices are subject to change without notice. The plan cost may be paid at any time from deposit up to and including final payment; however, the CruiseCare Cancellation and Interruption Penalty Waiver takes effect only upon payment of the plan cost in addition to any required cruise deposit. Payment of your cruise fare deposit amount without the plan cost will not activate this program.

I only buy coverage with preexisting conditions included. I usually purchase insurance from another source. I didn't purchase insurance last time and almost had to cancel my cruise, so I will always purchase from now on. Things come up that you would never imagine.

I think you have to purchase within 24 hours to get the 'cancel for any reason' feature. Also, they always note cancellation is 'for specified reasons' otherwise. So it helps to read the policy. I know it's boring, but you learn some surprising facts that way and you won't be shocked later on.

Are you talking about the third party providers? If so, I think it's the same 15 days as for pre-existing conditions, but confess that I haven't looked in awhile.:o

Thank you Marci22. This is what I plan to do for my future cruises. I am willing to pay more and at least be covered. Wish I had all the money that I have given to RCCL/Berkley in the past for insurance premiums, thinking I had coverage. Guess they don't want to tell you how it really works, then if you don't have a need to use it, you will just keep dropping money into their pot with no questions asked!

I would still keep the RCI coverage in the equation for cost comparison purposes. At least you no when you have to purchases the insurance now.

When we do purchase insurance, we normally get it through the cruiseline. We add it at final payment, so we're really just insuring the 75-90 days prior to the cruise. We've known that we weren't covered for anything occurring prior to that date. I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

I'm not sure how RCCL's insurance works, for I have never bought it. I always buy insurance through an outside company. In most cases, you need to buy and pay for the insurance at the time of (or within 10 - 14 days of) putting down your deposit IF YOU WANT TO BE COVERED FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. If you are not concerned at all about pre-existing conditions, you can purchase and pay for the insurance at time of final payment. The "pre-existing conditions" can apply to family members not traveling. Example: If a parent becomes very ill and you cannot travel, if their illness results from a pre-existing condition, you may not be covered.

I recommend that you look on the CC boards under Insurance and read some of the comments there. There are a couple of people who answer questions there who are very knowledgeable about travel insurance. Their answers have cleared up some of the confusion I've had over the years.

Are you talking about the third party providers? If so, I think it's the same 15 days as for pre-existing conditions, but confess that I haven't looked in awhile.

For ex, CSA offers a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver provided you purchase the insurance prior to or within 24 hours of final payment date and you are medically able to travel at the time of purchase.

Cancel for any reason, for Royal Caribbean, requires purchase the day of deposit. I'm not sure what third party providers offer cancel for any reason as I don't usually look for that.

Edited by marci22

I thought it was covered from the time I booked also. It is listed on your vacation summary in the total charges. My savings certificate for $125.00 looks like it was also applied to the insurance. So how does that work? Do I get half coverage? :confused: They really need to have some kind of notice on your vacation summary that the insurance isn't in effect until paid in full, and not list it on your vacation summary until you actually pay for it.

Here you'll find all the payment information available online regarding your cruise vacation.

Cruise Fare*

Guest 1 $2,533.00 USD

Subtotal $2,533.00 USD

Optional Items*

CruiseCare Insurance $199.00 USD

Other Options $-125.00 USD

Total $74.00 USD

Payment History*

02-Jul-2011 $250.00 USD

Balance Due* $2,475.68 USD

Summary*

Cruise Fare $2,533.00 USD

Optional Items $74.00 USD

Taxes/Fees $118.68 USD

Total*

The Op brings something that I never considered. However, is there's something that I'm missing. If final payment for a 6+ day cruise is 75 days and this is the same timeframe that you can cancel a cruise without penalty--what is the problem?

We usually get insurance thru RCCL and found it to be cheaper. Plus I would get RCCL's leverage if a hiccup occured. I would not want to pay for insurance that I may not use and still have the flexibility to pay for the travel insurance on the due date (75 days) and still be covered. We had the opportunity to utilize Berkley and the claim was handled very professional and got more than I expected. The only disappointment was that they would not pick-up shore-to-shore and wireless telephone expenses as these added up.

Again, am I missing something?

Yes, it involves the timing of pre-existing conditions in relation to when the insurance is actually paid.

If after the cruise is booked, but before final payment, say the OP has some sort of medical issue not serious enough to cancel. Then later, say a week before the cruise, in the full penalty period, that same medical issue flares up and the OP needs to cancel, they won't get a refund for medical reasons. This is because the medical issue is considered pre-existing since the medical issue existed at final payment time (but was not serious enough to cancel then), and the insurance had not been purchased until final payment.

The OP's point is that Royal does not make it clear enough that the insurance is not paid until final payment, unless the purchaser specifically asks for the insurance to be paid.

Edited by clarea

For ex, CSA offers a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver provided you purchase the insurance prior to or within 24 hours of final payment date and you are medically able to travel at the time of purchase.

Cancel for any reason, for Royal Caribbean, requires purchase the day of deposit. I'm not sure what third party providers offer cancel for any reason as I don't usually look for that.

OK, now you've freaked me out and made me look at the contract. I can't find that restriction. Can you point me to it?

Edited by critterchick

Guess you live and learn! I had always heard to take the insurance when you book the cruise to avoid pre-existing issues. Never dawned on me that it actually wasn't purchased at that time until it was too late. Think I will look into getting cruise insurance elsewhere in the future. And, I WILL be reading all the fine print!!

I think if you are not VERY careful, 99% of the time they will find a way to get out of paying. You could drop dead on day one of the cruise and they would say whatever caused your death had to be a pre-existing condition!!

Not to upset or piss you off, cause I'm not wanting too, but I believe all Insurance policies for travel are like this. If you dont pay for it, and just ask for it, then its like them saying "Ok, you have NOT payed us yet, but we will insure you from today".....doesnt make any sense to me....atleast from a business stand point.

From your stand point I can understand fully. It is very frustrating. And you have raised a good question for me. I have High Blood Pressure. Had it for 8 years now. If I book a cruise, pay for insurance, and make final payment, then week before my cruise I get admitted to hospital for a "Hypertensive Crisis", is it covered? Technically my High Blood Pressure is pre-existing....

Not to upset or piss you off, cause I'm not wanting too, but I believe all Insurance policies for travel are like this. If you dont pay for it, and just ask for it, then its like them saying "Ok, you have NOT payed us yet, but we will insure you from today".....doesnt make any sense to me....atleast from a business stand point.

From your stand point I can understand fully. It is very frustrating. And you have raised a good question for me. I have High Blood Pressure. Had it for 8 years now. If I book a cruise, pay for insurance, and make final payment, then week before my cruise I get admitted to hospital for a "Hypertensive Crisis", is it covered? Technically my High Blood Pressure is pre-existing....

Travel insurance policies usually cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within a short time (maybe 10 days) of first booking the travel. The problem with Royal's insurance is that you think you purchased it, but you really didn't unless you specifically call them and ask to pay for the insurance. On the other hand, if you use 3rd party insurance, there's no confusion because you pay for it immediately.

I have High Blood Pressure. Had it for 8 years now. If I book a cruise, pay for insurance, and make final payment, then week before my cruise I get admitted to hospital for a "Hypertensive Crisis", is it covered? Technically my High Blood Pressure is pre-existing....

You could be, it depends on the policy. For example some policies consider a condition that is solely controlled by medication not to be a "pre-existing condition" as long as the condition is stable and there has been no change in medication during the "look back period" typically 60 to 180 days.

This is a situation where reading the fine print is crucial. Also some of the resellers like Insuremytrip, TripInsuranceStore & Squaremouth can be helpful in choosing a policy. You should also confirm anything they tell you with the company that they recommend just to be safe.

My understanding is that if you get treated for or diagnosed within a specific time frame of paying for RC's insurance it becomes a pre-existing condition. If your treatment for the condition, ie medications change within in the time frame, they may not cover you. It is very extensive in the policy and good to talk to someone. Our TA explained it very thoroughly but I don't remember all of the details.

I hope this helps a little.

I believe the lesson here is to ask questions until you are comfortable with all of the information.

I have High Blood Pressure. Had it for 8 years now. If I book a cruise, pay for insurance, and make final payment, then week before my cruise I get admitted to hospital for a "Hypertensive Crisis", is it covered? Technically my High Blood Pressure is pre-existing....

You could also be covered under the pre-existing condition waiver if you follow all the rules. This is from the TripInsuranceStore site:

If you want to waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion for cancellation, interruption & medical treatment, you have to fulfill these 4 requirements when you buy your travel insurance plan:

1. With 2 exceptions (CSA Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe, you have to insure at least your trip's full prepaid, non-refundable cost (you can't round it down). If you don't know your final trip cost, estimate it high to be safe. You can always lower to the correct trip cost prior to your departure date. If it drops you to a lower trip cost range, you'll get a partial refund; and
  2. You must get your travel insurance in the first 14, 21 or 30 days after you pay your earliest trip payment (Travelex Select, Travelex Max, Travel Guard, Travel Insured and TravelSafe Vacation Classic) or no later than 24 Hours after you make your final Trip payment for CSA Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe and
  3. You have to cover your trip's full length and
  4. The person with the medical condition has to be medically stable when you get your insurance - this means that person cannot have already taken a turn for the worse. This also includes having surgery or other medical procedure(s) scheduled just before you leave. Read Steve's blog post "Will Travel Insurance Cover My Scheduled Surgery?" for more information.

In addition, you'll see that CSA, Travel Guard, Travel Insured and TravelSafe all include wording like "this is the first and only booking for this same destination and dates of travel" as a condition of waiving the pre-existing medical condition exclusion. The reason is that you cannot cancel your trip & re-book it to just reset your initial trip deposit date. Read Steve's Blog post to find out more.

This is unfortunately, another situation where a good travel agent is worth their weight in gold. Ours always warns us of the time restrictions to buy travel insurance that covers pre-existing, etc. He told me a site to go to and compare. I was throughly confused after comparing, and called him to ask for help. He explained the type policy he always purchases, pointed out the one with the company I had chosen, since the companies have several options and got us headed in the right direction. I sent payment and received the policy already for a June 2012 cruise. I have the policy already with our passports.