T-shirts at Breakfast and lunch

oskarNZ

Firstly, please forgive me for starting another dress thread. I realise they are controversial and my intention is not to start a debate ... honest. :)

I have just reread Celebrity's dress guide. I'm not sure how I missed it the first time, but I was really surprised to read that T-shirts are not to be worn in the MDR any time of the day. I find this really surprising, especially since shorts and sandals can be worn to the day time meals; clothing items I would put in the same category as a tidy T-shirt.

So just to confirm from people who have cruised with Celebrity, does this mean that people are expected to wear a top/shirt with a collar to every meal? I can't imagine that my husband will be too happy when hears this. :o

Thanks in advance for your help.

Firstly, please forgive me for starting another dress thread. I realise they are controversial and my intention is not to start a debate ... honest. :)

I have just reread Celebrity's dress guide. I'm not sure how I missed it the first time, but I was really surprised to read that T-shirts are not to be worn in the MDR any time of the day. I find this really surprising, especially since shorts and sandals can be worn to the day time meals; clothing items I would put in the same category as a tidy T-shirt.

So just to confirm from people who have cruised with Celebrity, does this mean that people are expected to wear a top/shirt with a collar to every meal? I can't imagine that my husband will be too happy when hears this. :o

Where did you read this? I have always worn T-shirts to breakfast and lunch...

Wow! I just did a search and found it:

>>Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.<<

I think this is new...but probably in error...my guess is they meant T-shirts as in "undershirts"--the plain white ones...I cannot picture they now want to force everyone into collared shirts for breakfast...most of us go to breakfast on our way out into port...and "T-shirts" of some sort is what we generally wear while wandering around the ports...

Strange. We have worn t-shirts to the main dining room for breakfast and lunch plenty of times. T's are sort of the uniform of the day on Caribbean itineraries. Now I can understand them turning someone away for wearing one with holes, no sleeves or is just raggedy in general.

We wear T-Shirts to the MDR for breakfast and lunch on the days we are doing tours and on sea days as do a lot of other people. During the evenings we follow Celebrity's recommended dress code for dinner. Enjoy your cruise.

Interesting, since on our last three ten night cruises on the Equinox, I always wore a collared shirt to breakfast in Blu, but I never inquired if this was required. I did not pay much attention to the dress of others, at breakfast, therefore I cannot confirm whether there was a suggested dress code in place.

I do know that they reqire a reasonable cover up at the Aqua Spa Cafe; and, that does not trouble me.

Here are a couple of items of photo "evidence" that on our mid June Solstice cruise that some folks were in the MDR with t-shirts. This was during a sea day "Brunch Buffet". One older guy even has a ball cap on (and backwards)!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 41,492 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In the Solstice Main Dining Room right at the start of the mid-morning “Brunch Buffet”, here are two different visuals showing the use of those plain old t-shirts. One white t-shirt being worn by a fairly young passenger. Another guy in a bright green t-shirt with his ball cap on backwards. Food was good! After a few minutes, this middle area of the MDR got very, very busy and crowded.:

SolsticeMDRBrunchOverview.jpg

SolsticeMDRBuffetTShirt2.jpg

We have NEVER had any problem wearing tee shirts in the main dining room for breakfast or lunch. They are pretty much the staple on some cruises. But, obviously, no white,sleeveless under-shirt type t's or one's with questionable sayings on them. My husband even wore a nice T to the elite high tea. Common sense should tell you what is appropriate and what is not.;)

Where did you read this? I have always worn T-shirts to breakfast and lunch...

Wow! I just did a search and found it:

>>Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.<<

I think this is new...but probably in error...my guess is they meant T-shirts as in "undershirts"--the plain white ones...I cannot picture they now want to force everyone into collared shirts for breakfast...most of us go to breakfast on our way out into port...and "T-shirts" of some sort is what we generally wear while wandering around the ports...

Hi Steve:

Good to see you....Its actually not new, the rule has been in place for many years but they do not enforce it. In this case I am happy that they do since they know people many times are going off the ship for the day and don't want to go back to their rooms to dress.

Interesting, since on our last three ten night cruises on the Equinox, I always wore a collared shirt to breakfast in Blu, but I never inquired if this was required. I did not pay much attention to the dress of others, at breakfast, therefore I cannot confirm whether there was a suggested dress code in place.

I do know that they reqire a reasonable cover up at the Aqua Spa Cafe; and, that does not trouble me.

Well

First

since last year formal night wear is not enforced in the Speciality rest

and I have wore t shirtd and shorts in Blu for breakfast and dinner in the carribean

and the elite lounge

Here are a couple of items of photo "evidence" that on our mid June Solstice cruise that some folks were in the MDR with t-shirts. This was during a sea day "Brunch Buffet". One older guy even has a ball cap on (and backwards)!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 41,492 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In the Solstice Main Dining Room right at the start of the mid-morning “Brunch Buffet”, here are two different visuals showing the use of those plain old t-shirts. One white t-shirt being worn by a fairly young passenger. Another guy in a bright green t-shirt with his ball cap on backwards. Food was good! After a few minutes, this middle area of the MDR got very, very busy and crowded.:

SolsticeMDRBrunchOverview.jpg

SolsticeMDRBuffetTShirt2.jpg

I guess that 2 pictures are worth 2000 words......

Thank you so much everyone for your responses and photo evidence :)

I am relieved that they don't enforce this rule too strictly.

From all my experiences, they don't enforce the rule at all! BTW whats wrong with white T-Shirts? :D

Archived