End of Coffee Card as we know it!

casavaha

We just returned from ten days out of town, so I have not read this thread in its entirety. We were discussing this today as we have several coffee cards with many punches left on each one. (I am the only one who drinks speciality coffee)

My husband made this comment to me " wouldn't it be great if Princess provided the coffee maker and coffee in the room like hotels". We discussed this back and forth and finally agreed it would be a great Elite perk or great even if the passenger had to pay for the service, say $10 for the cruise. That would eliminate having coffee pots in every room, etc.

I would certainly pay $10 for each of us to have this in our room. Could use those small pots that turn off automatically, provide bottle water and the packaged coffee.

Just my two cents.

Shirley

I would certainly pay $10 for each of us to have this in our room. Could use those small pots that turn off automatically, provide bottle water and the packaged coffee.

I'd definitely pay to have one in my room. I wonder if they would consider that too much of a fire hazard.

We just returned from ten days out of town, so I have not read this thread in its entirety. We were discussing this today as we have several coffee cards with many punches left on each one. (I am the only one who drinks speciality coffee)

My husband made this comment to me " wouldn't it be great if Princess provided the coffee maker and coffee in the room like hotels". We discussed this back and forth and finally agreed it would be a great Elite perk or great even if the passenger had to pay for the service, say $10 for the cruise. That would eliminate having coffee pots in every room, etc.

Just my two cents.

Shirley

My routine is to wake up and call for tea ( I guess they would do it for coffee too). By the time I have my bathrobe on and teeth brushed, there is a knock on the door and tea is delivered. Maybe that could be an option to the inroom coffee makers. I did enjoy in the recent years in hotels, the litttle one cup a a time coffee makers that use the plastic coffee portions. You get all sort of coffee , and tea ! If thay want to charge, maybe we could get packs of the kinds of coffees ( or tes) that we like at a minimal crarge per cup, if we want more that the daily free basic x amount of cup per per passenger). But i have to admit the environmental aspect of all those empty coffee mini-cups makes me uneasy. I would not get one for all the coffee that get made everyday in my house, but I believe they would be a good alternative for the safety issue of otherdevices in our cabins ( though I am not a safety expert, and will go with their advice anytime). Just an opinion.

I've never used a "french press"...would that be a non-electronic option?

If you saw how a French Press operated you would not drink the slop that comes out of it. You have to strain it through your teeth and spit out the coffee granules. Entertaining but less drinkable than the coffee you get in the HC. Just my opinion!

Hello ???

Anyone out there on a ship right now that can tell us what is happening live ?:confused:

On a more serious note, if Princess emailed that they would honor the already sold cards we still have ( with a punch a cup rule) I feel that all is right, and look forward to my cappucinos on my next cruise :)! ( those from the old card and the new one I may get... if the price is right!;))

I am confused. Why should you get 31 dollars refunded if you only paid 12? Coffee cards are not an investment they hold no stock value. If you purchase something in a department store with a coupon and you return it I am sure you don’t expect to receive the higher price before the coupon was applied. I think Princess will just honor the UN punched previously purchased cards or exchange them for the new cards. I don’t by the coffee card because I don’t drink the specialty coffee and to me it is an inconvenience to have to go to the IC in the morning to get coffee just to bring to the buffet for breakfast. I wish Princess would include brewed coffee with the ultimate card that I always purchase for soft drinks and mocktails. It includes hot chocolate so I don’t understand why they wouldn’t include regular coffee.

Your example is bad. People have NO intention to return the old coffee cards to gain the difference of the discount value. People want to keep the cards and use them.

It is more like you use a coupon to buy a $26 cell phone but only pay $13 in Verizon. In 1 month, Verizon calls you and says the cell phone is very popular and it is $31 now. Bring it back and we will pay you $13 if it is unused, or we pay partial of $13 if it is used. If you don’t bring it back, we cut off the service. Your call!

Is that the right way to do business?

A french press needs no electricity but the water will need to be hot.

A simple electric tea kettle and a french press is how I make my coffee at home.

I would also suggest a coffee grinder because they work better with a larger grind.

If you saw how a French Press operated you would not drink the slop that comes out of it. You have to strain it through your teeth and spit out the coffee granules. Entertaining but less drinkable than the coffee you get in the HC. Just my opinion!

If used properly you will not have any grounds in your coffee from a french press.

Also known as a coffee plunger? Not sure about that. Never heard the term 'french press.'

I use a coffee plunger at home, for making coffee and unblocking the toilet, but not the same one! LOL.

Princess sold you a product at a reduced rate. If you choose to look at it as an investment then I have a bridge I can sell you. What Princess should do is pull up the your on board account for the sailing that you purchased the cards and refund you what you paid or exchange it for a current card that carries the new terms and conditions.

Some people buy coffee cards on board but also receive coffee cards as a gift. How do you tell which card is from which source?

If Princess wants to buy back their products, they have to pay current market price. Or they have to honor the original agreement. (I don’t want to call it ‘customer return’ because it is not)

A french press needs no electricity but the water will need to be hot.

A simple electric tea kettle and a french press is how I make my coffee at home.

I would also suggest a coffee grinder because they work better with a larger grind.

If used properly you will not have any grounds in your coffee from a french press.

Also known as a coffee plunger? Not sure about that. Never heard the term 'french press.'

I use a coffee plunger at home, for making coffee and unblocking the toilet, but not the same one! LOL.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...I got a free one once but it broke before trying it.

NSWP...hope you don't confuse them! :p

When I saw someone come to the International Cafe' with a laminated coffee card, I knew there would be a change coming. Someone always wants to beat the system and then it spoils it for everyone else. I bought cards with the bogo coupon, too. If they're a loss, what can I do? They were a two for to begin with. I'll wine, but I'll deal with it.

On the Sun in 2008, the coffee card was not honored for free brewed coffee. DH was charged $1.15 each morning for his cup of coffee. He just didn't tip on top of that, whereas he tipped $1.00 every couple of mornings when he got free brewed. I guess he'll just go back to the $1.15 or whatever it costs each morning. $0.65 a day is not going to make or break our cruise.

But on the subject of recent changes, we like one (no smoking) and dislike all the others. That's okay- RC, X and HAL keep sending us incredible offers to return. It's good to have options, and I'm glad we never put all our cruising eggs in one basket.

Just my two cents.

Shirley

Other cruiselines provide coffee makers in the cabins and you don't have to pay for it or be "elite" to get them.

Your example is bad. People have NO intention to return the old coffee cards to gain the difference of the discount value. People want to keep the cards and use them.

It is more like you use a coupon to buy a $26 cell phone but only pay $13 in Verizon. In 1 month, Verizon calls you and says the cell phone is very popular and it is $31 now. Bring it back and we will pay you $13 if it is unused, or we pay partial of $13 if it is used. If you don’t bring it back, we cut off the service. Your call!

Is that the right way to do business?

THank you - Ilke the way you think.

Other cruiselines provide coffee makers in the cabins and you don't have to pay for it or be "elite" to get them.

Who? AFAIK, NCL was doing it. Anyone else?

As for those french presses; not for me. I used to carry a heating coil, but that became a no no, so I switched to the coffeemaker. Many years ago.

I have been using a Frence Press (at home) for years and haven't had any problem.

You have to make sure you get the beans grinded especially for the FP.

I can understand changes needing to be made but they should honor the terms by which they were sold to us & for the unused punches to be valid for specialty coffees without an expiration. New coffee cards would be subject to the new rules but not those purchased with other rules. If they want to trade in old cards for new ones with the same number of specialty drinks that's OK with me. I don't keep cards with 1 punch for years of free brewed coffee but did buy bogo cards which were allowed without an expiration date. To sell them that way & to now say they're expired is not right! :eek: Eliminating unlimited brewed coffee for old cards is one thing but not for the specialty coffees we paid to receive without an expiration date.

You are absolutely correct! Princess should honor the terms of the old cards. The people who kept olld coffee cards with one puch and then bragged about it brought this upon themselves.

• 4 months later...

Well, I guess that it is still cheaper than Starbucks with a single cruise coffee card at $31.00.

I think Princess should dump the fake coffee overboard and just charge $1.00 for real brewed coffee. That is an even better deal for coffee drinkers that don't drink Satrbucks style specialty coffees.

Archived