ZIEDERDAM Virus on ship now?

cburger100

I have not heard of any on the Zuiderdam but I must say that HAL takes great precautionary steps the first two days of a cruise because that is when most occurs.

Again the poster that said "Washing, washing, washing" hit the nail on the head.

WNCruiser, can you explain why noro has a season? I've never heard that before.
It's around all year, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's most active between Oct and Apr, just like most other flu strains. In part, this is because that is when schools at all levels are in session.

We are on the Maasdam and just docked next to the Ryndam in Tenerife yesterday. The captain announced that the Ryndam was a "sick ship" so there would be no visiting between the two, and we were continually reminded to wash our hands. We also were given small bottles of Purell to carry with us.

We at dinner wondered if the Ryndam passengers were told the same about us (afik, no problems on the Maasdam) and so on, just to emphasize the washing!

We are on the Maasdam and just docked next to the Ryndam in Tenerife yesterday. The captain announced that the Ryndam was a "sick ship" so there would be no visiting between the two, and we were continually reminded to wash our hands.

The captain really called it a "sick ship"? :confused::eek:

And with all the security these days, there surely aren't any visits allowed onto other ships.

Sometimes one needs to use all 'exotic' description to get some persons' attention.

There are some cruise ship passengers that just don't get the message.

WASH YOUR HANDS.

If everyone did that, there'd be a whole lot less work, expense and discomfort/illness for everyone.

I APPRECIATE A CAPTAIN THAT DOES EVERYTHING REASONABLE TO GET THROUGH TO SOME THICK SKULLS.

And with all the security these days, there surely aren't any visits allowed onto other ships.

I haven't seen cross-ship visiting since even before 9/11. Last time for us was on the Ryndam and the old Westerdam in 1995. Of course it's not like we've been in that many ports with another HAL ship. Last I remember was 2006 on the Volendam with the Noordam tied up just across from us at Crown Bay. No visiting was allowed and I don't recall either ship being under a Code Red so wrote it off as a security issue.

There is some cross ship visiting with both Captain's permission but it mostly crew visiting friends, one ship to the other.

When we were in Bonaire, it was wonderful fun for crew from Noordam to come to Maasdam and on the dock they had 'fun and games'. :) They did a tug of war, some other ballon and dance type hooplah and we had a blast standing at the rail of our veranda watching. The comraderies between the crews and the fun competition was a such fun.

Chief Officer was 'in charge' and he, too, seemed to have a wonderful time.

So, yes,,,,,,, there is visiting between ships, even with some passengers.

Just this morning, I made plans with another couple for us to meet up with each other. They will be on Noordam and we on Nieuw Amsterdam. When we learned we're sharing a port, we made plans for lunch. :)

I was thinking more of the open, mass cross visiting. Back in 1995 we were new to HAL and wanted to see what the Westerdam was like. You just showed your Ryndam boarding pass and went on. You couldn't charge anything but we did have lunch in the Westerdam's version of the Lido Cafe. Lots of Westerdam passengers visited the Ryndam as she was pretty new back then and quite different from HAL's older fleet. I have seen crew visit back and forth and in Aruba the captain had a group of Dutch navy officers on the Volendam for lunch from a frigate that was in port. Can't think of his name but the Volendam captain for our cruise was or had been a Dutch navy officer and the ship flew a special pennant because of his status.

Yes, it used to be 'just for the asking' that any guest on one HAL ship could visit another HAL ship in port.

I remember we visited Rotterdam VI in her first or second year in the fleet but I don't remember just which port. We were invited to dine in the Dining Room with the Maitre d' as we had sailed with him a number of times. Seeing lunch service was in process, he sat, jumped up, sat, jumped up...... but we had a wonderful time with him. We visited a number of ships through the years and it is always great fun.

That is far more rare today for guests.

But crew does 'cross visit'.

Presumably, they are far more diligent about handwashing and precautions than 'no clue' guest who continues to walk out of restroom without using the sink for handwashing. :(

I was thinking more of the open, mass cross visiting. Back in 1995 we were new to HAL and wanted to see what the Westerdam was like. You just showed your Ryndam boarding pass and went on. You couldn't charge anything but we did have lunch in the Westerdam's version of the Lido Cafe. Lots of Westerdam passengers visited the Ryndam as she was pretty new back then and quite different from HAL's older fleet. I have seen crew visit back and forth and in Aruba the captain had a group of Dutch navy officers on the Volendam for lunch from a frigate that was in port. Can't think of his name but the Volendam captain for our cruise was or had been a Dutch navy officer and the ship flew a special pennant because of his status.

Captain Peter Visser. When he is Master, Volendam flies the Royal Dutch Navy flag.

We had a wonderful Captain's Table with him on Volendam. It is one of our more memorable.

I should clarify that now I'm not sure the captain used the words "sick ship," but we definitely heard it from the cruise staff and from the front desk. Not a panic situation at all -- just precautionary.

BTW, our crossing was smooth and everyone I have talked to on board has had a great cruise so far!

I should clarify that now I'm not sure the captain used the words "sick ship," but we definitely heard it from the cruise staff and from the front desk. Not a panic situation at all -- just precautionary.

BTW, our crossing was smooth and everyone I have talked to on board has had a great cruise so far!

Not that you need any confirmation, but I heard similar from someone on Maasdam. They told us Ryndam was docked ahead of Maasdam and Captain made an announcement about Noro outbreak on Ryndam. Because of it, all effort was being made to prevent cross-contamination. I don't know the exact verbage, of course, seeing we aren't there........ unfortunately. That is what Code Orange, Code Yellow and Code Red is all about.

Sure wish we were aboard right about now. :)

Continue to enjoy your wonderful cruise on the very special Maasdam.

Take good care of her for us. :o

We just got off the Princendam, there was a terrible outbreak of GIS and/or Noro. Both Crew aND pASSANGERS WERE very very ILL, MANY MISSING TOURS THEY HAD ALREADY PAID FOR. The Lido was roped off the entire cruise, which greatly slowed down the feeding process in an already overcrowed Lido. Somehow we all struggled thru, and the whole ship was sterilized when it arrived in Italy. Whew...this was a rough one !!

We just got off the Princendam, there was a terrible outbreak of GIS and/or Noro. Both Crew aND pASSANGERS WERE very very ILL, MANY MISSING TOURS THEY HAD ALREADY PAID FOR. The Lido was roped off the entire cruise, which greatly slowed down the feeding process in an already overcrowed Lido. Somehow we all struggled thru, and the whole ship was sterilized when it arrived in Italy. Whew...this was a rough one !!

Very sorry that happened. It definitely detracts from having the best ever cruise. Actually, it's pretty miserable.

Hopefully you stayed well.

They told us Ryndam was docked ahead of Maasdam and Captain made an announcement about Noro outbreak on Ryndam.

My "nurse's mind" made me wonder how they diagnose Noro. I found the following information :

In most cases, based on the medical history and the physical exam, the doctor will make a diagnosis of viral gastroenteritis (also known as the "stomach flu"), but will not be able to say specifically whether a norovirus infection is causing the gastroenteritis symptoms.This is because there is no routine lab test to detect norovirus.

http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/norovirus-gastroenteritis/norovirus-diagnosis.html

I suppose they are just assuming it's Noro, given the symptoms. At any rate, it's just SO important to do that hand washing. It simply can't be stressed enough. I cringe when I see anyone walk out of a restroom without stopping to wash their hands. **shudder** :o

Thanks for clarifying. "Sick ship" is a loaded term used mainly in the media (one never hears them talk about "sick hospitals" or "sick schools"). Ships aren't sick , its passengers that are sick and spread it. I just thought it would be disappointing if a HAL ship's captain used that phrase. As for other crew members using it, I guess it would be alarming. :)

My "nurse's mind" made me wonder how they diagnose Noro. I found the following information :

In most cases, based on the medical history and the physical exam, the doctor will make a diagnosis of viral gastroenteritis (also known as the "stomach flu"), but will not be able to say specifically whether a norovirus infection is causing the gastroenteritis symptoms.This is because there is no routine lab test to detect norovirus.

http://diarrhea.emedtv.com/norovirus-gastroenteritis/norovirus-diagnosis.html

I suppose they are just assuming it's Noro, given the symptoms. At any rate, it's just SO important to do that hand washing. It simply can't be stressed enough. I cringe when I see anyone walk out of a restroom without stopping to wash their hands. **shudder** :o

Of course, they don't have lab tests and results.

That is why it is usually referred to as Noro Like gastrointestinal illness.

Odds are strong when there are 5% of guests/crew with noro like symptoms on a cruise ship, it will be a variety of Noro Virus, a very contagious, easily spread illness.

Apparently they had an outbreak of noro on QM2 too, based on a posting on the Cunard boards from someone that boarded today.

I have seen it once. Last April in Cartagena, Spain the NA tied up behind the Amsterdam and the Amsterdam passengers were invited to lunch aboard the NA. As we made our way ashore from NA we could see the Amsterdam passengers making their way along the receiving line on the pier.

Archived