If Versace Does it Without a Tie....

sail7seas

I'm watching the Today show and they are showing the line Versace is introducing at H&M. A male model just modeled a black tuxedo with bright red/orange shirt and no tie.

Does that mean HAL will be revising their definition of formal? If Versace says gents don't need a tie with their tux, maybe HAL cruisers don't either? :D

I'm watching the Today show and they are showing the line Versace is introducing at H&M. A male model just modeled a black tuxedo with bright red/orange shirt and no tie.

Does that mean HAL will be revising their definition of formal? If Versace says gents don't need a tie with their tux, maybe HAL cruisers don't either? :D

Versace is just one designer and has always been a bit on the cutting edge. Whether or not Versace says no tie with a tux really doesn't mean much to me. :)

Yes, Randy, I understand.

It is interesting though that this collection actually echos back to Gianni rather than the current more edgy styles. This was more his look than hers.

I think it fine to take my post as a little tongue in cheek. :)

HAL does not exactly have a reputation as being the home of the 'fashion plates' of the seas.

Fashion police yes.

On the Volendam in 2008 there was one older gent who wore nothing but the same brown pair of "farmers" overalls the whole cruise. He wore then while sunbathing by the pool on shore excursions and to all meals. He was however not allowed in the MDR on formal nights. I guess packing was easy for him.

Then there was the guy in a tux with a white T Shirt and a black tie painted on the shirt. He was allowed in the MDR on formal night. :eek:

I still prefer the look of the tie on a formal occasion. In some applications, perhaps an outfit like the one modeled on the Today Show would be just fine. But for a formal dining room dressed up with white chair covers and the other touches of a HAL dining room, I think a tie best suits the occasion.

Well, at least those 2 gentlemen gave the fashion police something to beat their gums over!

No need for that comment. If these gentlemen were turned away by ship staff, end of discussion about any other passengers sensibilities, or lack thereof.

Do you suppose that the stuffed shirts at HAL watch the Today show?;)

There have always been shirts with no collars, (called "mandarin" or "stand-up") shirts, requiring no ties that have been worn with a tuxedo! ;) Gosh, I still have one or two that I wore with my tuxedo, (in the long distant past)! :)

Somehow I don't think that most of the passengers on HAL ships will look quite as yummy as the model. Therefore they should stick to the "regular" tuxes.....please.

Most people in society as a whole don't look as delicious as those models. ;) :D

There have always been shirts with no collars, (called "mandarin" or "stand-up") shirts, requiring no ties that have been worn with a tuxedo! ;) Gosh, I still have one or two that I wore with my tuxedo, (in the long distant past)! :)

The shirt in question was an ordinary pointed collar shirt.

I would have not been so interested to comment had it been mandarin collar. Most of us are aware ties are not worn with mandarin collars. :rolleyes:

I wonder what warped joy certain posters get by always dragging into every discussion of MDR dress the inflammatory terms "Fashion Police" and "Stuffed Shirts at Hal"? It's always the same ones that seem to lie in wait for a thread to start and then they pounce! It so annoying and insulting!

RonJoan

I wonder what warped joy certain posters get by always dragging into every discussion of MDR dress the inflammatory terms "Fashion Police" and "Stuffed Shirts at Hal"? It's always the same ones that seem to lie in wait for a thread to start and then they pounce! It so annoying and insulting!

RonJoan

Wow, I certainly didn't mean anything inflammatory, annoying or insulting about saying "stuffed shirts at HAL". I think you read waaaaay too much into my post.:eek:

BTW, we always dress appropriately.:)

I'm laughing -because I'm remembering some 40 years ago we were at a Formal night at the Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs. The president of the Colorado Bankers Association -Dell Scott -came with a gorgeous Tux and a "tie" that was a folded/pleated black fabric just under the collar. The Matre De turned him away from his own dinner in the Penrose room.......:)

RonJoan

That's an easy one. They are the "Anti-Fashion Police" - you know, sort of similar to the folks that intend to run around with a camera taking photos of smoking violators.:D

I'm laughing -because I'm remembering some 40 years ago we were at a Formal night at the Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs. The president of the Colorado Bankers Association -Dell Scott -came with a gorgeous Tux and a "tie" that was a folded/pleated black fabric just under the collar. The Matre De turned him away from his own dinner in the Penrose room.......:)

That maitre d' needed a lesson in manners IMO :eek:

Perhaps, but it also points out the hazards of trying to enforce a dress code. If someone has authority to enforce a "no tie" rule, and the president wasn't wearing a tie, then who was in the right? And if he was let in, what is to stop other guests from saying, "Well yes, I'm not wearing a tie, but you let HIM in....." This is the sort of bind that a maitre d' aboard a ship is likely to find himself in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "dresser upper", but unfortunately social mores like dress codes depend largely on social reinforcement -- you know, the old "We'll ostracize you unless you conform" tactics. Many people who once might've followed the rules solely for this reason now do not feel compelled to do so, since individualism is valued much more today. Which only leaves those of us who either a) enjoy dressing up or b) do so because it is the polite thing to do.

Her post referred to the incident being 40 years ago.

Perhaps some things have changed in all these years? Hopefully..... ? :)

I think there's a lot of 'it's all about me' these days and many have absolutely no interest what anyone thinks of them. The old social reinforcements don't work in the same way these days, IMO.

Archived