JS vs D1

gxchan

I have a b2b booked on AOS for late November and early December 2012. I booked a D1 but due to the price and the double cruise points for Diamond in December I'm thinking of upgrading to a JS. At the same time I'm worried once I go JS I'll never be able to go back!:eek: Is it possible to "go back" to a regular balcony after a JS?

I have a b2b booked on AOS for late November and early December 2012. I booked a D1 but due to the price and the double cruise points for Diamond in December I'm thinking of upgrading to a JS. At the same time I'm worried once I go JS I'll never be able to go back!:eek: Is it possible to "go back" to a regular balcony after a JS?

I'll let you know in 2 weeks! We were offered an upgrade to a JS for £25 ($40) per person only four days before our Mariner cruise in September. We were put into an accessible cabin so twice the space:eek::D Back to a normal balcony cabin on Brilliance in December and NO chance of lightning striking twice as the ship is sold out

Wasn't a problem for me. I've done both Junior and Grand Suites and while I'm always looking for a bargain for both, I have no problem settling for a balcony. Doesn't the JS qualify for triple points in December?

Wasn't a problem for me. I've done both Junior and Grand Suites and while I'm always looking for a bargain for both, I have no problem settling for a balcony. Doesn't the JS qualify for triple points in December?

Same here. I can go back to balcony or even Oceanview with no problem. I miss the natural light, so I avoid inside cabins.

Yes, the JS gets triple points in December.

Our very first cruise was in a JS, and it was for the three of us, which included DH, and DS, who was 13 or so at the time. (NO double points back then). The extra space was great, and the walk-in closet served nicely as a dressing room for me. :)

Since then, we've sailed in JS, Ds and Es. The only thing we really must have is a balcony. The enticement now in booking a JS would have to be a great fare. As much as I would love the double points, booking a JS for our upcoming cruise costs nearly TWICE as much as our current E2 on our upcoming 10-nighter on the Ex.

Yes, you can go back!

Teddie

When the DH and myself both held high stress, good paying jobs we sailed in GS cabins, but had minimal vacation time we could enjoy.

Now that we are retired, and on a fixed income, we sail in baloncy cabins which does not

bother us a bit. Now that we have the time to cruise more, we spread that money we would have paid for a GS to opt for 3-4 more cruises.

Going back to an inside cabin, however, I could not do as it is like being in a cave.

:eek: :(

OP – are you booked for 2011 or 2012 (as you stated in your post). There is no assurance that there will be a diamond event in 2012.

Of course you can go back to any type of accommodation. Why wouldn't you be able to?

We are fortunate to sail 5-7 times a year and sail in OV, balcony or an occasional suite. We book whatever fits our needs and budget at the time. On an upcoming B2B we have a suite for the first leg and a balcony for the second – and never gave it a second thought.

Lastly – I never considered a regular balcony too shabby and am more than happy to have that type of accommodation. Since we are only 2 in the cabin, we find the balcony cabin provides more than enough space and storage.

What ever you decide to book - Enjoy

M

Depending on price, our preference is to book JS cabins, even above GS. Even though the GS has more space, we prefer the layout of the JS. This applies to Voyager, Freedom, and Radiance class.

However, it would not be difficult to have a D/E balcony after all the times we've been in a JS. We do it occasionally if the price difference between the D/E and JS is too much.

The only time we've been disappointed in a balcony cabin has been on Allure. We felt that Royal took a step backward (from Voyager, Freedom, Radiance) with the design of the balcony cabins on Allure.

I'll let you know in 2 weeks! We were offered an upgrade to a JS for £25 ($40) per person only four days before our Mariner cruise in September. We were put into an accessible cabin so twice the space:eek::D Back to a normal balcony cabin on Brilliance in December and NO chance of lightning striking twice as the ship is sold out

Sweet! Have a great time on Brillance:)

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I changed my booking to a JS and am really looking forward to it. My concern about not being able to go back stems from conversations I've had with several couples who went from balconies to JS and say they couldn't go back. I understand that line of thought b/c after my first cruise in an ocean view I went to balconies and can't imagine going back either.:o

Happy cruising.

No its not possible to go back. You would have to pay the prevailing rate of the previous room, so hope its not higher or less than what you are paying after your final payment. But the junior suite will give you triple cruise points if you are sailing in december as a diamond member. So if the cost is right, those extra cruise points sure are better than paying for another cruise.

No its not possible to go back. You would have to pay the prevailing rate of the previous room, so hope its not higher or less than what you are paying after your final payment. But the junior suite will give you triple cruise points if you are sailing in december as a diamond member. So if the cost is right, those extra cruise points sure are better than paying for another cruise.

I think that what the OP meant is that s/he will be spoiled by the experience of a JS and not want to go back to a smaller cabin.:)

Yes, you can go back - we just did. We prefer to book a JS but we decided to book an E-1 on Liberty. We had a hump JS in March which was larger than the standard JS, and I think we gave up about 1/3 of the space. It was only a problem coming out of the bathroom - if one of us was standing at the closet, there was a risk of being hit by the door. We quickly learned to warn each other.

I think I would spring for a D next time in order to get a full sofa instead of a loveseat, but otherwise it was just fine. I don't think that our JS days are over, but we had no issues with our balcony cabin.

I will say that we spent a lot more time in the common areas (mainly Vintages) than we normally do, so we gave back some of the savings by spending more on refreshments.:D

Archived