All you can drink packages?

cruzmaven

Hi Patnlcc & Glenda,

Glad the info was useful, I learned so much from reading this forum before our cruise that I felt I had to pass on my experiences ! I could not find any way of booking the package before we sailed so as soon as we boarded the ship we enquired at the restaurant booking table. They directed us to the concierge who directed us to the Terrace cafe ! In the Terrace cafe we asked again & were told that we had to book it at reception ! I was a bit fed up by then & asked the man telling us if he was sure & also who he was as he did not have a name badge on. He replied that he was certain & that he was Damien Lacroix the General Manager of the ship ! He suggested we sit down & have some lunch & a drink before going to reception to sort it out but I thought it was silly to order & pay for drinks & then go & purchase the package. He assured me it would not be a problem & that when you purchased a package any drinks you had already bought on that day would be automatically be recredited to your account & that was in fact what happened.

When we did go to reception after lunch the man who dealt with us had no idea how to process it & had to ask a colleague to help. I think we were the only ones to purchase it for the 1st few days because we didn't see anyone else using it until we had told them about it.

They take your sea pass from you & give you another one with BIB on. you then hand it over whenever you order but you don't sign a chit. In the restaurants at dinner we had to explain to the sommeliers that we were "on a package" & order our wine by the glass from the wine list of wines that were available by the glass.

You can arrange the drink packages before your cruise by contacting reservations at:

800-531-5619

If you go to the already booked section on the Oceania website and select onboard options it gives some details on the House Select ($29.95 per day) and Premium Select ($49.95 per day) beverage packages.

HOUSE SELECT $29.95

Select Wine & Beer

Meals Only

Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included)

This package includes beer and a selection of wines during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

PRESTIGE SELECT $49.95

Select Wine, Beer & Spirits

plus Open Bar

This package includes beer, a selection of wines, most top shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any time at any onboard venue as well as through room service* during regular operating hours.

You can arrange the drink packages before your cruise by contacting reservations at:

800-531-5619

If you go to the already booked section on the Oceania website and select onboard options it gives some details on the House Select ($29.95 per day) and Premium Select ($49.95 per day) beverage packages.

HOUSE SELECT $29.95

Select Wine & Beer

Meals Only

This package includes beer and a selection of wines during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

PRESTIGE SELECT $49.95

Select Wine, Beer & Spirits

plus Open Bar

This package includes beer, a selection of wines, most top shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any time at any onboard venue as well as through room service* during regular operating hours.

I know that you answered here in good faith, Ron, but as no good deed goes unpunished, I feel honor bound to inform you that:

1) Most 800 numbers can't be dialed from Overseas

2) People seem to be aware of the general terms of the packages. Their questions revolve around specifics such as brand names on offer and how the process for ordering wine, beer and liquor may have changed.

Hi Patnlcc & Glenda,

Glad the info was useful, I learned so much from reading this forum before our cruise that I felt I had to pass on my experiences ! I could not find any way of booking the package before we sailed so as soon as we boarded the ship we enquired at the restaurant booking table. They directed us to the concierge who directed us to the Terrace cafe ! In the Terrace cafe we asked again & were told that we had to book it at reception ! I was a bit fed up by then & asked the man telling us if he was sure & also who he was as he did not have a name badge on. He replied that he was certain & that he was Damien Lacroix the General Manager of the ship ! He suggested we sit down & have some lunch & a drink before going to reception to sort it out but I thought it was silly to order & pay for drinks & then go & purchase the package. He assured me it would not be a problem & that when you purchased a package any drinks you had already bought on that day would be automatically be recredited to your account & that was in fact what happened.

When we did go to reception after lunch the man who dealt with us had no idea how to process it & had to ask a colleague to help. I think we were the only ones to purchase it for the 1st few days because we didn't see anyone else using it until we had told them about it.

They take your sea pass from you & give you another one with BIB on. you then hand it over whenever you order but you don't sign a chit. In the restaurants at dinner we had to explain to the sommeliers that we were "on a package" & order our wine by the glass from the wine list of wines that were available by the glass.

Thanks again Jorich, great info, it will save lots of hassles when we board. I'm looking forward to just being able to order and not have to sign each time! I should have liked to book and pay up front now but this doesn't seem possible to do from the UK so I guess we'll wait until Athens.

Glenda

Hi LHT28

No I haven't but I'll give him a call and ask if he can. This will be our first Oceania cruise so all is new to us. I guess we don't use our TA's to the full here in the UK, just for the initial booking and payments.

I have gained lots of valuable information about Oceania from regular posters here on the Cruise Critic boards so grateful thanks to everyone. Very excited - I have booked my Speciality Restaurants!:)

Glenda

I am surprised the higher end Scotch & Champagne was included

I thought that was what had been advertised and reported all along. From the original link posted.

"The second package is pricier -- $49.95 per person, per day -- and includes beer and premium house wine (from a selection of red and white vintages that change daily), all beverages on the bar menu (except Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac) and room service beverages (but not mini-bar selections). "

I thought that was what had been advertised and reported all along. From the original link posted.

"The second package is pricier -- $49.95 per person, per day -- and includes beer and premium house wine (from a selection of red and white vintages that change daily), all beverages on the bar menu (except Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac) and room service beverages (but not mini-bar selections). "

Agreed

Sometimes what is reported is not always the truth ;)

Some other lines with drink packages cap the inclusive drinks at up to $12

I was thinking of premium as in the higher priced gins, whiskeys etc

EG: if DH has a G &T with Bombay it is a higher price that with tangueray

Obviously my thinking was flawed :D

Lyn

Oceiana is pretty much a luxury cruise line that charges 40 to 50% below the others like Regent, Silver Sea..

I see the liquor package as a cheap add on to enhance the total cruiseexperience and make it run smoother.

Heck, I am savings thousands upon thousands on the cruise, I am not going to quibble for $50 a day.... penny wise here is pound foolish in the big picture. :eek:

Your already getting an incredible bargin to begin with, you have a significant margin to play with!!!!

Sorry but Oceania is not a luxury line. Just ask them and they'll tell you. If it were a luxury line they wouldn't be charging $50 a day pp for what luxury lines include. Or gratuities. And you only pay less if you are in a smaller cabin. To get one similar in size to thee luxury lines (Crystal excepted) you will pay the exact same amount. That said, for those who are happy in smaller cabins Oceania is near luxury and offers great value and a great experience.

• 1 month later...

Two minor data points I was given today by an Oceania representative, who had to go find the answer to my first question. I asked if port wine by the glass was included in the House Select (cheaper) package and I was told it was. The representative also mentioned that neither the House nor Prestige packages were in effect on embarkation or disembarkation days, and of course there is no charge for those days. That makes a lot of sense for disembarkation days, but I could use a drink when I embark and will probably pay for that.

I wonder why the packages are not in effect on Embarkation day. Too many bon voyage drinks????

I thought JORICH had recently written in a previous post (in this thread)that they were. She said that they were asked to be seated and relax with a drink and that they would pay up front but that the charges would be taken off because they had signed up for the package on day one. And they were! Perhaps things have changed since then!

Glenda

• 2 weeks later...
I thought JORICH had recently written in a previous post (in this thread)that they were. She said that they were asked to be seated and relax with a drink and that they would pay up front but that the charges would be taken off because they had signed up for the package on day one. And they were! Perhaps things have changed since then!

Glenda

Glenda, you are quite right, we definitely had our package from day 1.

I too ask about the drink packages and was taken back by $30/day pp. Can anyone attest to the typical price for a cocktail, beer or wine by the glass?

It's $50 a day, $30 only gets you the beer & wine package during lunch and dinner.

If you're not spending $50 a day on drinks then the package is not a good deal for you. Drinks range from around $6 to $12 on average. Wines can be more, beer is probably around $5-$7 a bottle. These aren't exact, someone else may have more exact prices.

Taken from my invoice last September, which includes gratuities. Pretty sure of items, but invoice does not give drink description.

Bud Light Beer $5.61 House Wine Glass $8.19

P.J. Champagne Glass $11.21

As long as Oceania continues to have the 2 for 1 Happy Hour and allows passengers to bring liquor on board, I can't see much advantage for folks like me who are not heavy drinkers.

~Doris~

I don't believe that you have to be a heavy drinker to make the Packages practical.

To begin with, there are many who will be very happy to know EXACTLY what their bar bill will be BEFORE they board the ship. Budgeting is key to some peoples' enjoyment of the trip.

Then, there is the social aspect. If you're lingering at lunch at want to have a second glass of wine, or even a sherry at teatime, you won't have to give it a second thought.

Archived