All you can drink packages?

cruzmaven

I'd like to disagree on this point.

There are a number of options for saving money on drinks on Oceania.

1) Unlike most lines, you can bring alcohol on board to consume in cabins [or for the special bottle (with $20 corkage) to enjoy in one of the restaurants.]

2) Happy Hour - very generous with their terms. We usually only like the one drink before dinner, so I was very pleasantly surprised that we were charged 1/2 price for my 1 glass of bubbly ($3.47) and 1/2 price for DH's 1 beer ($2.50 Heineken Draft)

3) Happy Hour - not only includes 2 for 1 drinks but don't forget there are at least 3 cocktails of the day at around $4.25 - choices change daily. Where else can you get a cocktail for $4.25?

4) First time cruisers with Oceania don't qualify for Captain's cocktail party to welcome returning guests but there were at least 4 other occasions where Oceania supplied free drinks. (on 18 night cruise)

5) At least 2 opportunities to buy discounted wine to be stored in your "account" for restaurants - with some very good deals.

If I have left anything out, I'm sure someone who has travelled more than me will add to this list.

I must admit I went on my first cruise expecting shocking prices after reading similar threads but I was pleasantly surprised. You can save quite a lot without going to any effort.

Trina2 - We are going on Oceania for the first time in June and I think your information is pretty fair. We are not wall flowers but since we are on the ship for 14 days on a Trasnsatlantic the math does not add up for us to take the package -- 14 x $50 x 2 =$ 1,400 (2/3 as much as one persons fare) . We drink a couple of drinks a day and usually get a couple of bottles of wine over the course of the trip. We can supplement with our own liquor. Also, we are spoiled being Celebrity Elite passengers with their two hour FREE Happy Hour everyday with free drinks and hot and cold hors d'oeuvres.

I laughed when everyone wrote about carrying drinks with them around the ship -- I usually take my Bahama Mama or Mudslide into the Sauna with me to keep my strength up and stay hydrated...:D

Happy Sailing!!!

We are responsible adults who would appreciate some vin ordinaire with dinner and sometimes lunch when we're on board (we try to have lunch ashore when we're in port)...a few beers during a sea day or when we return after a day in a steamy location. It would be nice if O offered something similar to AZ.

We might try AZ next year after the fiasco with our CPT to SNG cruise this year. If we do, we'll post our experiences, including the quality of the gratis wine.

Hi

O seem to have it right as they appear to be selling the packages by the day so that you are able to mix and match. So on sea days we will have a drink through the day so buy a package for that day and shore days just a drink with our evening meal.

We also enjoy a nightcap in our stateroom,do you think I would be allowed to take a bottle of martell onboard?

regards

Josie

Are you sure about that?

My impression was that you have to take the package for the entire cruise and also that both people have to take it. This wouldn't work for us since while I like my cocktail before dinner and wine with, my husband rarely has alcohol ... maybe half a glass of wine at dinner.

If we could opt for a day here or a day there of the package I would be more inclined to take it. But not for the entire cruise, the cost just isn't justified for us.

I'd love it if you are correct!

According to this information from the O Site, one may purchase the packages onboard, but they don't specify anything about "both people in a cabin" or purchasing "by the day".

Designed to enhance your onboard culinary and overall social experience, these beverage packages offer additional convenience and value. Oceania Cruises guests always enjoy unlimited complimentary soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees, teas and juices on every sailing.

HOUSE SELECT $29.95

House Wine & Beer

Meals Only

Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included)

This package includes beer and a selection of house wines during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or room service.

PRESTIGE SELECT $49.95

Premium Wine, Beer & Spirits

Open Bar

Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included)

This package includes beer, an exclusive selection of premium and vintage wines, and most top-shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any time at any onboard venue as well as through room service.

Beverage packages may be purchased prior to your cruise by contacting Reservations at 800-531-5619.

Beverage packages may also be purchased onboard during your cruise.

Hi

O seem to have it right as they appear to be selling the packages by the day so that you are able to mix and match. So on sea days we will have a drink through the day so buy a package for that day and shore days just a drink with our evening meal.

Josie

Are you sure about that?

My impression was that you have to take the package for the entire cruise and also that both people have to take it.

From re reading this thread and the initial press release I don't think either of these is correct. The way I understand it is:

You don't have to take it for the whole cruise but once you do take it you must take it for the remaining days. You can not pick and choose the days you want. Would be great if you could for us though.

I think only 1 person in a cabin can get it, but they can't share it.

• 2 weeks later...
From re reading this thread and the initial press release I don't think either of these is correct. The way I understand it is:

You don't have to take it for the whole cruise but once you do take it you must take it for the remaining days. You can not pick and choose the days you want. Would be great if you could for us though.

I think only 1 person in a cabin can get it, but they can't share it.

Just returned from Insignia's Rio to Valparaiso. When I tried to purchase the premium beverage package for myself, I was told that I had to purchase it for both myself and DW. Oceania's policy is that both people in the cabin had to purchase the package. I had told them that DW could only have 1 glass of wine at dinner because of her meds, and that I wasn't going to purchase the package for both of us. It would be a waste of money. The customer service rep agreed, but would not allow me to purchase the package for just myself.

Just returned from Insignia's Rio to Valparaiso. When I tried to purchase the premium beverage package for myself, I was told that I had to purchase it for both myself and DW. Oceania's policy is that both people in the cabin had to purchase the package.

That is too bad :(

It does not make sense ..sometimes only 1 person in the cabin will drink

I may have a glass of wine every few nights while DH has his nightcap daily

We probably would not buy the package anyway

We just got back from the 1/3 Marina Miami sailing, and I took the full BIB (their term for Full Bar) package. My wife did not have to, and we paid separately for her 16 drinks over the ten days. Our friends both got the full package for all ten days, and mine was for nine. Only about 10 to 20 max people got the package, and most people did not know about it even at the end of the cruise. It took several days for the bartenders and servers to get the system down, and it really looked like "an experiment" by Oceania to see how it will work for them. They issued new cruise cards to the three of us by the way with BIB on them. The bartenders still logged in the drinks, but you don't sign a chit if you are on the package. They were working on internal issues like how to track gratutiies for servers, and while we did not order drinks for others not on the package, it would be possible if you could live with the embarrassment of being caught scamming. Oceania would not want to cause any scenes, and this is another reason I think they may drop it. I do not think they want to push this issue to the point where they become All-Inclusive.

The breakeven point is about 4 to 8 drinks a day, as Drinks of the Day are usually $6 wirh gratuity, while wine can be $9 to $15. It was a good deal for our friends, but I would not get it again as I cannot drink that much after about the fourth day. I found myself ordering drinks I did not drink just because I had "paid" for them. The whole way it was handled makes me believe they will drop the idea. By the way, the package covered everything except the highest $ items like Louie XIII, although it seemed they were confused, even at the Reception desk, as to room service and drinks from your room fridge.

We just got back from the 1/3 Marina Miami sailing, and I took the full BIB (their term for Full Bar) package. My wife did not have to, and we paid separately for her 16 drinks over the ten days. Our friends both got the full package for all ten days, and mine was for nine. Only about 10 to 20 max people got the package, and most people did not know about it even at the end of the cruise. It took several days for the bartenders and servers to get the system down, and it really looked like "an experiment" by Oceania to see how it will work for them. .

Sounds like another case of mixed messages for the crew

Another work in progress

We were on a cruise with celebrity in the summer and had the prem pkg..

With us , it was worth it for me , but my wife would have been fine with the reg pkg..

You also have to consider the extra costs for the bottled waters , sodas , specialty coffees throughout the day .. It was worth it for us in that regard..

I would do it again at $60 /day no question..

My wife I would get the $45 ish day reg pkg though..

You also have to consider the extra costs for the bottled waters , sodas , specialty coffees throughout the day .. It was worth it for us in that regard..

Unlike Celebrity.. Oceania includes bottled water, sodas & coffee NO CHARGE

Only coffee with alcohol are fee based

• 3 weeks later...
We just got back from the 1/3 Marina Miami sailing, and I took the full BIB (their term for Full Bar) package. My wife did not have to, and we paid separately for her 16 drinks over the ten days. Our friends both got the full package for all ten days, and mine was for nine. Only about 10 to 20 max people got the package, and most people did not know about it even at the end of the cruise. It took several days for the bartenders and servers to get the system down, and it really looked like "an experiment" by Oceania to see how it will work for them. They issued new cruise cards to the three of us by the way with BIB on them. The bartenders still logged in the drinks, but you don't sign a chit if you are on the package. They were working on internal issues like how to track gratutiies for servers, and while we did not order drinks for others not on the package, it would be possible if you could live with the embarrassment of being caught scamming. Oceania would not want to cause any scenes, and this is another reason I think they may drop it. I do not think they want to push this issue to the point where they become All-Inclusive.

The breakeven point is about 4 to 8 drinks a day, as Drinks of the Day are usually $6 wirh gratuity, while wine can be $9 to $15. It was a good deal for our friends, but I would not get it again as I cannot drink that much after about the fourth day. I found myself ordering drinks I did not drink just because I had "paid" for them. The whole way it was handled makes me believe they will drop the idea. By the way, the package covered everything except the highest $ items like Louie XIII, although it seemed they were confused, even at the Reception desk, as to room service and drinks from your room fridge.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us. Both my husband and I enjoy single malt and in the past have brought a bottle on board with us for consumption in the cabin in addition to paying for a drink at the bar in the evening. If the single malts are included at $18/each then it might be worth it for us. In terms of the wine selection, can you advise whether wine by the bottle is also included at dinner when both people have the package? At the risk of sounding like wine snobs, we tend to prefer higher end wines and generally order by the bottle than have the wine by the glass. I know the premium package refers to "premium" wine, but is it only by the glass and limited to a couple of choices each day?

As 1st time Oceania cruisers I will post a full review of our cruise (Caribbean Pearls 4th - 16 th Feb) in a few days but having watched this thread before we went I thought I would report back on our experience of the drinks package.

We decided to take the BIB, premium package, at $49.95 per day including 18% gratuity. Let me say at the outset that we are not mega drinkers but for anyone who likes cocktails, martinis & good wine this offer was a no-brainer. If you have even one or two beers or cocktails by the pool, a martini before dinner & a glass or two of good wine with dinner you have already saved a lot of money & if you have a nightcap as well you are quids in.

We were delighted to find that it included champagne & not just the house one but Perrier Jouet at $15 per glass as well as good 25 year old malt whisky $18 per glass, vintage port, dessert wines etc etc etc. With dinner we generally drank Pouilly Fuisse & La Crema Pinot Noir, both very good wines & $15 + gratuity by the glass.

The only drinks we identified that weren't included were Louis x111 brandy, Pommery champagne & Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

The packages were not advertised at all & it was only because I had read this thread that we knew to ask for it. However on day 3 there was a note on the daily info sheet that packages were available & again later in the cruise.

The staff did not seem overly familiar with the package at the start & one bartender told us it was very bad because the staff only shared 18% of $49.95 for the whole package. However we were later told that this was not true & in fact each drink is charged individually with its 18% service charge but it is simply written off the client account if on the package & our final bill certainly seemed to confirm this. In any event, as always, we tipped extra to those who gave us good service but because we were not signing chits we couldn't just add it on & my husband took to carrrying a wad of small $ bills around which wasn't ideal but not a major problem.

In short, we would probably have paid twice as much if we had not had the package & no we are not alcoholics, just people who like a few drinks on holiday & love good wine !!

Sorry, forgot to say that whilst you can't order wine by the bottle you can order as many glasses as you like. The choice does not change every day as the info implies, it is the same every day from a list which includes a reasonable choice - as I mentioned we drank mostly Pouilly Fuisse & La Crema which are pretty good but there were at least half a dozen other reds & half a dozen other whites + a couple of roses as well as the port, dessert wines & champagnes.

The cheaper package only included house wine ,no choice, & beer & only at lunch & dinner.

Our package was any time, any place , anywhere including room service.

Hi jorich, thank you for clearing this up. Can I ask you, did you pre-book the drinks package or did you do it on board? We'd like to buy it, but the only way to do so before boarding according to the website is to phone a US number. Not happy make a transatlantic call just for that. Would we be better to wait till we board?

We were delighted to find that it included champagne & not just the house one but Perrier Jouet at $15 per glass as well as good 25 year old malt whisky $18 per glass, vintage port, dessert wines etc etc etc. With dinner we generally drank Pouilly Fuisse & La Crema Pinot Noir, both very good wines & $15 + gratuity by the glass.

I am surprised the higher end Scotch & Champagne was included

Archived