All you can drink packages?

cruzmaven

We just returned from a Marina cruise in June and I can't for the life of me recall the cost of a glass of Johnnie Walker scotch on the rocks. Does anyone know? I remember the house red/wind wine was $6.95 plus 18% gratuity since the price went up a dollar from 2010.

As of February of this year, Cutty Sark, Johnnie Walker Red, J&B Rare, Dewars White Label & Ballentine's were all $7.00

So you basically have to drink 7 drinks a day to make it cost effective. We figured out that we will be on the Transatlantic in June for 14 days.

Let's check the math --

14 Days x $50PP x 2 = $1,400 for the two of us to take this package. We both like approx. 2 to 4 drinks a day, but it is basically not cost effective. We had the same issues on Celebrity which I think was more expensive. Also, you can bring a bottle on Oceania which may cut our onboard purchases a bit...

One program that was really good was on HAL with drink cards that came in 10 or 20 sizes (Beer and Wine or Alcohol) -- and they were punched when used. If you wanted, you could buy additional cards along the way. The demographics of HAL are older and that category does not necessarily drink as much. It was perfect.

We also had a good laugh, as I had read on Cruise Critic that sometimes people would put the cards with unused punches in the Bible in the stateroom -- so as soon as we went into the room, we immediately checked the Bible -- alas, no punch card...:( I have to say that was the best system for us.. We kept our punch cards as souvenirs -- with a few punches left -- We will see if we can use them on our next HAL cruise...:p

IMHO, this would probably be a better system or somehting similar to this for the general demographic on Oceania.

I wonder who thinks up the new programs

I would probably buy the punch card idea more so than a package as we are light drinkers

Unless O stops allowing people to bring alcohol on board I wonder how many people will opt in to the packages

On port intensives cruises you would have to sup up many drinks at the end of the day to break even ;)

JMO

LYN

I wonder who thinks up the new programs

I would probably buy the punch card idea more so than a package as we are light drinkers

Unless O stops allowing people to bring alcohol on board I wonder how many people will opt in to the packages

On port intensives cruises you would have to sup up many drinks at the end of the day to break even ;)

JMO

LYN

Hi LHT,

More people than you think are interested in buying the package..I have many friends that this is really a good deal for them..

Jancruz1

Hi LHT,

More people than you think are interested in buying the package..I have many friends that this is really a good deal for them..

Jancruz1

Yes Jan it will work for many people I am not one of them

DH may have 1 drink a day & I maybe will have 1 every few days

It is an option thank goodness ;)

Say Hi to STU

Lyn

So you basically have to drink 7 drinks a day to make it cost effective. We figured out that we will be on the Transatlantic in June for 14 days.

Yes, if you drink any combination of 7 standard cocktails at $7.00/drink or glasses of house wine at $7.00/glass, you are ahead with the package. $7/drink + $1.26 gratuity = $8.26/drink. $8.26 X 7 = $57.82 for 7 standard cocktails or house wine vs. $49.95 for the premium beverage package.

The above scenario uses house drinks. What if you wanted a more expensive glass of wine or cocktail? Below is a partial list of Oceania's house wines and prices:

Red Wines

$6.95 House Selection Red Wine

$9.95 Antinori Villa Antinori Toscana, Tuscany, Italy

$6.95 Waterbrook Merlot-Cabernet, Columbia Valley, Washington State

$9.95 La Crema Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, California

$9.50 Murrieta’s Well Cabernet Sauvignon, California

$9.95 Château Saint Dominique Regatta Puisseguin St. Émilion, Bordeaux, France

$11.50 Cecchi Chianti Classico Riserva di Famiglia DOCG, Tuscany, Italy

$11.50 Peter Lehmann Barossa Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia

Late-Harvest and Fortified Noble Wines

$9.00 Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

$9.50 Antinori Vin Santo del Chianti Classico DOC, Tuscany, Italy

$19.00 Dow’s Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

If one has 2 standard cocktails and 3 glasses of Murrieta's Cab during a day, the cost is $50.15. = 2 X 8.26 + 3 X (9.50 + 1.71 gratuity)

You have broken even with the package. IMHO this person is not a lush.

If you also have a glass of Dow's Port during the evening show, you are $22.42 ahead (gratuity is included in the $22.42).

Many similar scenarios exist. True, the beverage package is not cost effective for many. For others, it is cost effective. However, Oceania is not forcing anybody to buy it.

Yes, if you drink any combination of 7 standard cocktails at $7.00/drink or glasses of house wine at $7.00/glass, you are ahead with the package. $7/drink + $1.26 gratuity = $8.26/drink. $8.26 X 7 = $57.82 for 7 standard cocktails or house wine vs. $49.95 for the premium beverage package.

The above scenario uses house drinks. What if you wanted a more expensive glass of wine or cocktail? Below is a partial list of Oceania's house wines and prices:

Red Wines

$6.95 House Selection Red Wine

$9.95 Antinori Villa Antinori Toscana, Tuscany, Italy

$6.95 Waterbrook Merlot-Cabernet, Columbia Valley, Washington State

$9.95 La Crema Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, California

$9.50 Murrieta’s Well Cabernet Sauvignon, California

$9.95 Château Saint Dominique Regatta Puisseguin St. Émilion, Bordeaux, France

$11.50 Cecchi Chianti Classico Riserva di Famiglia DOCG, Tuscany, Italy

$11.50 Peter Lehmann Barossa Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia

Late-Harvest and Fortified Noble Wines

$9.00 Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

$9.50 Antinori Vin Santo del Chianti Classico DOC, Tuscany, Italy

$19.00 Dow’s Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

If one has 2 standard cocktails and 3 glasses of Murrieta's Cab during a day, the cost is $50.15. = 2 X 8.26 + 3 X (9.50 + 1.71 gratuity)

You have broken even with the package. IMHO this person is not a lush.

If you also have a glass of Dow's Port during the evening show, you are $22.42 ahead (gratuity is included in the $22.42).

Many similar scenarios exist. True, the beverage package is not cost effective for many. For others, it is cost effective. However, Oceania is not forcing anybody to buy it.

Excellent post. I like single malt, they are generally priced on the higher side. I don't know which ones O has or what they charge for them, but it might be a good deal.

Excellent post. I like single malt, they are generally priced on the higher side. I don't know which ones O has or what they charge for them, but it might be a good deal.

Macallan Elegancia (12 years old) is $14, Macallan Fine oak (18 years old) is $16, and High Land Park (25 years old) is $20

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I would definitely come out ahead, but it's doubtful I would buy 3 or 4 of those a day if I didn't have a package deal. On the other hand I would probably have a bottle or two in the room.

On our upcoming 21 day trip for the two of us it would add $2100. We might consider it for part of the trip.

WOW, $60 for us as a couple? I don't think so. In fact we booked an Asian trip while recently onboard, but it looks like after I got home, we are getting prices from a couple of other lines. AND, would you believe they are charging over $6,500 per person for Business Class when the other lines are charging around $3,500????

Going to Asia is around 24 hours, and that is a long time for us in economy, thus we are going to cancel and go with another line. Makes me sad, but I am soooo disappointed in O over this.

How about anyone else? Then this offer on wine at around $30 per person. We buy our wine, and it is the upper end of wine (at least we think so) and our wine usually lasts each of us about 2-3 days. On this program, we would be really paying outrageous prices.

Who in the world is making these changes with "O" and discouraging us to sail with them. Makes me very, very sad as I love the ship and the crew.

Yes Jan it will work for many people I am not one of them

DH may have 1 drink a day & I maybe will have 1 every few days

It is an option thank goodness ;)

Say Hi to STU

Lyn

I am not one of them either Lynn..I had two glasses of champagne for dinner Thanksgiving and let a stranger , to me, at the dinner I was at cut my hair..I cant imagine what I might do after seven...(Actually I love my hair cut)..LOL,

Jancruz1

P.S. Stu says hi back!

sorry - I am very confused - we are considering our first O cruise in September

It looks like the first package is just for dinner and lunch - who can drink that much at dinner and lunch? am I right on this?

The second more expensive one looks like it is for anytime? am I right?

don't laugh - just trying to figure this out - thanks everyone

It looks like the first package is just for dinner and lunch - who can drink that much at dinner and lunch? am I right on this? YES... a couple of beers or wine with lunch & dinner you could break even

Sound like you have it right

It looks like the first package is just for dinner and lunch - who can drink that much at dinner and lunch? am I right on this?

don't laugh - just trying to figure this out - thanks everyone

Yes, you're correct.

From CC Cruise News 12/1/2013:

"Oceania will offer two different options. The first, at a charge of $29.95 per person, per day, includes house wine and beer with dinner and lunch. (Interestingly, it's available when ordering room service, but it does not cover mini-bar drinks.) The second package is pricier -- $49.95 per person, per day -- and includes beer and premium house wine (from a selection of red and white vintages that change daily), all beverages on the bar menu (except Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac) and room service beverages (but not mini-bar selections). "

I am not one of them either Lynn..I had two glasses of champagne for dinner Thanksgiving and let a stranger , to me, at the dinner I was at cut my hair..I cant imagine what I might do after seven...(Actually I love my hair cut)..LOL,

Jancruz1

LOL

I cannot imagine how that conversation would come up at dinner :D

Good thing you like the new hair cut

Yes, you're correct.

From CC Cruise News 12/1/2013:

"Oceania will offer two different options. The first, at a charge of $29.95 per person, per day, includes house wine and beer with dinner and lunch. (Interestingly, it's available when ordering room service, but it does not cover mini-bar drinks.) The second package is pricier -- $49.95 per person, per day -- and includes beer and premium house wine (from a selection of red and white vintages that change daily), all beverages on the bar menu (except Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac) and room service beverages (but not mini-bar selections). "

thanks so much.

I don't see what the big deal is, a drink package sounds good to me. You take it or you don't. However Purplecow, I not sure about all the demographic on Oceania. A lot of the people that don't want the package deal--you'll see them bring in a glass of wine from their rooms,than half way thur dinner getting up and going back to their room for another glass to bring back. You see that a lot and it's sad they think anything is wrong in doing it.

So good for Oceania!

You may have seen that a lot. I have not.

But I agree, it isn't right and can lead to O's banning our bringing our own on board.

I hope what you have seen is not as prevalent as you think. But then, sometimes I'm a pollyanna.

Not usually ... just sometimes.

Mura

I don't see what the big deal is, a drink package sounds good to me. You take it or you don't. However Purplecow, I not sure about all the demographic on Oceania. A lot of the people that don't want the package deal--you'll see them bring in a glass of wine from their rooms,than half way thur dinner getting up and going back to their room for another glass to bring back. You see that a lot and it's sad they think anything is wrong in doing it.

So good for Oceania!

I'd have to side with Purplecow on this one. If anyone ever did anything that tacky in the dining room of an Oceania ship, I'd like to think that the disapproval of the passengers sitting around them would outweigh the savings on their bar bill.

So good for Oceania!

Not being much of a drinker myself, especially wine, maybe I just haven't noticed this. But I can't believe that "a lot of . . . people" do it. Maybe one or two, but still I can't remember seeing anyone getting up and leaving during dinner, then returning with a full glass of wine. Once in a while someone may duck out for a smoke or a potty break.

We take advantage of the two for one specials during happy hour.

Since we are not big drinkers we order wine and take the second glass to the dining room to enjoy with the meal.

That may be happening with others also. I have also had friends take their second drink from Martinis to the dining room.

I do think going to the cabin for a second glass is a bit crass and also more work than it is worth. (It can be a long walk, especially on Marina!) since Oceania will store your bottle, pay the $20 and enjoy the meal!

Archived