Is it too early to talk about.....toilet seats?

Miss Fig

How come none of you warned me about the terribly narrow, bizarrely shaped toilet seats on the Serenade? :confused:

They were so uncomfortable! It is a narrow ledge, more akin to the bare rim below it, then the flatter, wider expanse we are all used to here in the States.

I actually made a tour of public restrooms hoping to find the normal ones - to no avail.

Having cruised on Radiance 2 years ago, I am positive these were not present. I made note of it on my survey, it's uncomfortable and looks so cheap. It really sends a terrible message to new cruisers. I was very disapointed to see them. It is so cheap looking and tacky!

:D Funny thing to be reading about at 9:30AM. I haven't been on the Serenade so I haven't experienced those seats. But we were recently on the Jewel repo cruise out of Boston and on day 3 our toilet seat broke! Day 1 I noticed it was very "wobbly" and thought, "Uh-oh, this isn't going to be good" We went to breakfast and figured we'd notify maintenance when we got back. Well, our very efficient cabin steward did that for us when he was making up our room. He let us know he'd reported it. At 11:45PM maintenance showed up! Needless to say we asked them to come back the next day (a port day). We figured they'd be able to fix it while we were ashore. Nope. When we came back on board it was still broken. But a quick call to maintenance and 15 minutes later they were there. Ten minutes aftr that, it was fixed. But, let me tell you, it was very uncomfortable that one night, getting up in the middle of the night. I can't imagine a whole week of that!

Really?? I was on Serenade last year & don't remember seats like this? And my sister's are women of size so I'm sure they would have mentioned it...not doubting what you experienced...just finding it odd...are you sure the seat had not been left up from cleaning?

Edited by kc320

Of all the cruises I've been on the toilet seat seems very much like the same size and shape that I have in my own home.

So uncomfortable? It's a toilet seat, how comfortable should it really be?

You must have very strange toilets at home if they are like the vacuum toilets on cruise ships.

Really?? I was on Serenade last year & don't remember seats like this? And my sister's are women of size so I'm sure they would have mentioned it...not doubting what you experienced...just finding it odd...are you sure the seat had not been left up from cleaning?

I know, I was on Radiance 2 years ago & the seat was (blissfully) unremarkable.

And yes, it felt & looked exactly like the seat was up - but alas, it was not, that's the new seat. And trust me, I searched out all the public restrooms hoping for a normal seat and they are all like this now. Too bad my roll call was so slow, or I'd ask them for confirmation. LOL. My SO figured they are doing this to make it easier to clean. Lame, lame, lame.

Wide.or narrow is only comparative when measured against the item next to it. !!!

Well, there is a fairy common American Standard. People with sciatic issues can be put in considerable pain trying to use such a narrow seat.

Wide.or narrow is only comparative when measured against the item next to it. !!!

LOL very true:) I've sailed on both Radiance and Serenade & don't remember the toilets or seats being any different from any other ship (or each other). Maybe there is a difference & I never realized it.

LOL very true:) I've sailed on both Radiance and Serenade & don't remember the toilets or seats being any different from any other ship (or each other). Maybe there is a difference & I never realized it.

Recently? I was on the Radiance in 2009 and it was normal. Last week, on Serenade, it is DIFFERENT. Trust me, you'd notice it.

Recently? I was on the Radiance in 2009 and it was normal. Last week, on Serenade, it is DIFFERENT. Trust me, you'd notice it.

I was on Radiance last January, Serenade in late 2008. Don't remember any difference. I'm not doubting you, I just don't recall any difference. Perhaps they've replaced the seats on Serenade since I was onboard.

I know, I was on Radiance 2 years ago & the seat was (blissfully) unremarkable.

Wrona - the question was "have you been on Serenade recently and noticed a difference? (I was on it last week.) According to your sig, you haven't been on the Serenade since May 2009.

I mean no disrespect here but how long do you plan on "camping out" on the toilet? Is it really a topic that really even needs consideration? Sorry if that seems harsh because it isn't meant to be. I have been saving for months in order to cruise and an uncomfortable toilet seems sort of trivial.

How come none of you warned me about the terribly narrow, bizarrely shaped toilet seats on the Serenade? :confused:

They were so uncomfortable! It is a narrow ledge, more akin to the bare rim below it, then the flatter, wider expanse we are all used to here in the States.

I actually made a tour of public restrooms hoping to find the normal ones - to no avail.

Having cruised on Radiance 2 years ago, I am positive these were not present. I made note of it on my survey, it's uncomfortable and looks so cheap. It really sends a terrible message to new cruisers. I was very disapointed to see them. It is so cheap looking and tacky!

Are you a weight challenged person, just wondering.....K.O. near Philly;)

Did you take a photo of this seat. I'd love to see what you are talking about.

we were on Serenade 1 month ago and did not notice the seats being any different.

we were in Italy this past summer and those seats were much different...NO seats at all - they do not install the seat, just the bowl rim, very awkward! the only place we had toilet seats was in the hotels.

In my opinion, the seats on cruise ship toilets appear to be generally smaller than the ones we're used to at home. It's never bothered me any, but it's a good thing to know ahead of time for those who would be bothered by it.

I was on the Radiance a year ago and didn't notice those seats being any different than the seats on any other ship. Whether they've since redone them, and whether the seats on the Serenade are any different, I couldn't say.

Did you take a photo of this seat. I'd love to see what you are talking about.

Are you a weight challenged person, just wondering.....K.O. near Philly

I mean no disrespect here but how long do you plan on "camping out" on the toilet? Is it really a topic that really even needs consideration? Sorry if that seems harsh because it isn't meant to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No disrespect taken. I am just saying the seat is very uncomfortable, looks cheap and institutional. It's a very minor point, I agree; we had a wonderful vacation, it's just something I'm lightheartedly mentioning.

Now, I was on Radiance in July 2009 - just like many of you, I took no notice of the lav seat. Last week on Serenade, it was completely different and immediately noticeable. My SO commented on it. Yes, it's trivial, but trust me, it cheapens the brand. I've sat on more comfy lav seats on a plane. This is a narrow ledge, literally seems like the rim below it. They were installed in all the public restrooms on the ship. I've never seen anything like it in all my travels.

Now to answer your questions -

I'm not overweight.

I don't camp out on the seat, it's apparent even for a quick visit.

No, I didn't take a pic of it, although, how hilarious would that be? I wish I did! You all would say, she didn't put the seat down if you saw it. It's a narrow perch that closely conforms to the shape of the rim.

I just hope none of you encounter this seat on future cruises - it is truly awkward and a daily reminder of the bottom line focus of RCI. LOL!

I have been on every Radiance Class ship, including the Serenade just this past summer. The toilet seats were no different than every other ship I have been on. Unless they did a ship-wide toilet seat change out since September, they were the same old seats that fit the standard ship toilets.

Now you are giving people ideas for a different compensation claim, I can hear them now at the GR desk "I suffered considerable pain because my butt was too big for the narrow seat". Now does the guest services person have the nerve to ask if they are referring to a seat in the WJ or WC. :D

Well, there is a fairy common American Standard. People with sciatic issues can be put in considerable pain trying to use such a narrow seat.

IF anyone has a major issue with the seat, you can ask maintence to refit the toilet with a handicap seat. They are larger and a bit elevated too. I sailed with a family friend 2 yrs ago and they do this all the time for her DH, he is not weight challenged just as he says, "has a boney rear end". I have never found issue in the seats on any ship but I do agree with Europe and also Asia as having some very odd BR/WC items or lack there of.

Lol to those with the "women of size" and 'weight challenged' comments. You are definitely describing me. I'm fluffy like my cat. Lol

Anyway....I am on SR at this very moment and have NOT noticed any toilets any differently from the usual RCCL toilets. Most likely I am not in the same cabin as the OP but I have used many of the Ladies' public restrooms onboard and have not noticed anything different about the toilet seats. Not disputing OP's opinion....just stating that I have not seen any of the unusual ones.