prepaid tipping vs cash tipping

bonniboo1

Have 2 cabins on next weeks FOS cruise. Not sure which way to go. If I do the prepaid, does the money get spread out to everyone such as buffet staff. I want to be fair. When I do prepay I generally leave extra for cabin steward and waiters. I like to be geneerous, but since I am paying for everything for the 6 of us, I want to make sure that the tips are going to the right people.

The staff rotes in/out of the WJ ... your servers in the MDR may be in there for breakfast/lunch, and the next week, they may be in there for dinner. It is done in such a way that the automatic tips cover your main servers (head waiter, waiter, assistant waiter) for their help with you and their stints in the other venues.

With that being said, when you prepay (or add to your account onboard), you receive slips of paper in your room the last day that you can put into the envelopes. You can always add more money if you feel service deserved it.

If you tip the folks they tell you to tip (cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter, head waiter), and everyone does the same, EVERYONE gets the tips.....there's no need to tip in the WJ, because your dining room waiters take shifts in the WJ....so if every passenger tips as they're supposed to, all of the staff is covered.

This is how it's done...no worries for you!

So who do you tip at the dining venues if you go on a cruise and do not eat in the MDR, or any other venues during the cruise.

Serious question, and not looking to stir up a debate. (TPN)

I would only tip the people who actually serve me such as the cabin steward. If I didn't eat in the main dining room I would not tip there. There are others more generous then myself who tip everyone and they'll chime in soon. You need to decide what you're comfortable with because there is no right or wrong, only what you feel is right for your situation.

So who do you tip at the dining venues if you go on a cruise and do not eat in the MDR, or any other venues during the cruise.

You quote MDR or ANY OTHER VENUES. So where would you eat?

I am so sorry to hear that, but what a wonderful, positive attitude to dealing with cancer. You are both a shining example to all those moaning minnies who find fault with every little thing. I hope you continue to cruise for many more years.

I just saw your explanation for your wife .. but you are still eating right?

I tip as they direct, and know that by tipping my wait staff, who also works in other venues, I am tipping them for where ever I eat.

I am fine with how its set up and leave it the way it is, even if I eat elsewhere .. but I eat in some venue?? I dont skip meals.

As long as you cancel your wife's seat in the MDR, then I would be ok not tipping the waiters. Up to you how you feel about it.

Mrs E. can't eat any more. All food is from IVs we would provide. (TPN) :(

Dining is only part of the cruise. She still wants to go on more,:D:D:D just can't take food by mouth.

wow Im so sorry to hear that. Do you also cancel your seating in the MDR? Otherwise the staff would not know your wife is not eating at all.

If you cancel your seat for her, I would be ok not tipping the wait staff since they then can get someone else to eat in her seat perhaps.

We would have to do a three day cruise first. Just to make sure things are doable.

Probably just sign up for MTD and not sweat the small stuff. I checked the handicapped boards, and didn't see but 1 thread on how another did it.

I figured I would just do room service and then tip them when they showed up.

........With that being said, when you prepay (or add to your account onboard), you receive slips of paper in your room the last day that you can put into the envelopes. You can always add more money if you feel service deserved it.

By slips do you mean receipts showing that you paid via your Sea Pass?

On our last cruise I chose to apply the gratuity to my Sea Pass using a form in our cabin on the second last day of sailing. We never received any slips in our stateroom after that though?

The funds were debited to my credit card so I hope the tips were dristributed to the appropriate crew members.

By slips do you mean receipts showing that you paid via your Sea Pass?

On our last cruise I chose to apply the gratuity to my Sea Pass using a form in our cabin on the second last day of sailing. We never received any slips in our stateroom after that though?

The funds were debited to my credit card so I hope the tips were dristributed to the appropriate crew members.

In most cases, those who have had their tips added to their accounts or who have prepaid their tips, receive vouchers indicating such which they can put into envelopes, along with any cash that may be appropriate, to hand out on the final night of the cruise. If you didn't receive any such vouchers that would seem to be the exception rather than the rule. If you are in MY TIME DINING, your servers will receive their share whether or not you give them the vouchers.

In most cases, those who have had their tips added to their accounts or who have prepaid their tips, receive vouchers indicating such which they can put into envelopes, along with any cash that may be appropriate, to hand out on the final night of the cruise. If you didn't receive any such vouchers that would seem to be the exception rather than the rule. If you are in MY TIME DINING, your servers will receive their share whether or not you give them the vouchers.

Same goes for the regular Dining Room doesn't it?

Jimbo:)

TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.

That being said, I have no idea whether or not the servers know before the end of the cruise, if you prepaid tips. However, I have 2 reasons for not prepaying tips, and for paying them in cash.

1) I use the tip as a reflection of the service provided me during my trip.

Great service gets a tip reflective of that, better than suggested

ammounts. Not so good service gets less than suggested.

2) I pay in cash because, quite frankly, I don't trust the cruise lines to

get 100% of my tip to the server.

I still like to do the envelopes with cash. That way, if someone went over and beyond my expectations I will leave them extra.

You can prepay and still give more money at the end in the envelopes. You get a slip to put in the envelope, if you prepay, saying it is prepaid, so they don't think you forgot to tip....we just added cash for "extra" tip, along with the prepaid slip, and then handed it out. Don't confuse "prepaying" gratuities with tipping extra for excellent service....you can do both!

If you cancel your seat for her, I would be ok not tipping the wait staff since they then can get someone else to eat in her seat perhaps.

There are only so many people on the ship, so I'm not sure where they would find somebody to take Mrs. Evaluator's place. I'm one who prefers to tip where I eat, but since we now normally book MTD, it's been taken out of my hands.

Evaluator, I am so sorry to hear that your wife can't eat now. I hope that she has a miracle visit her.

I like the pre paid it is one less thing to worry about. With that said I ALWAYS give "gift" cash to anyone that has done above the line service. It could be the cabin steward or someone in the dining room. It has always also been the folks that keep the children happy in OA, they do a fantastic job!

TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.

That being said, I have no idea whether or not the servers know before the end of the cruise, if you prepaid tips. However, I have 2 reasons for not prepaying tips, and for paying them in cash.

1) I use the tip as a reflection of the service provided me during my trip.

Great service gets a tip reflective of that, better than suggested

ammounts. Not so good service gets less than suggested.

2) I pay in cash because, quite frankly, I don't trust the cruise lines to

get 100% of my tip to the server.

The employees absolutely know who prepays... our room steward once showed us the list that is given to the staff of who has prepaid. We were paying her extra and she was showing us that we had already paid our tips - she thought we forgot. We had to assure her that we wanted to give her extra money. I don't know if they update it every day. We saw the list the 3rd day out of a 7 day cruise.

Archived