extra cost for more than one entree in MDR?

meab

a friend just returned from the Liberty of the Seas and told me that there was an extra fee if you wanted to order more than one main dish in the MDR. i hadn't heard of this, nor did i experience it on the allure a few months ago.

i didn't want to argue with her, because she was the one on the ship and not me (!), but i think maybe she got it confused with the extra-fee steak or lobster that appears on the menu...

anyone heard of extra fees for extra entrees?

just got off the Liberty Dec. 10-15 and no such thing

we often ordered an extra entree to share.. our waiter never mentioned there was a charge and never knew it was to share..just thought the person was ordering 2 entrees for themselves...we ordered it to share amongst the table but he had no idea that was what we were doing.. at least the first nite he didn't know :).. after that he even brought us something to try without us asking.. there was a couple of items you could order from chops for an extra fee but that had nothing to do with the main menu...

It is NOT just a tail.........it is a whole Maine lobster.........and they split it in half so its easy to eat the whole thing:)

So $30.00 for the tail and two claws. I guess some people might consider that worth the cost. I'm just not one of them.

So $30.00 for the tail and two claws. I guess some people might consider that worth the cost. I'm just not one of them.

Well most people are not fortunate enough to live close enough to "cheap" Maine lobster as you are and may find it a rather decent deal. You are gonna pay at least 30 bucks for a Maine lobster of any size here in the south in a land based place.

I wont pay it either but to each their own :)

Can't remember ever seeing one on any of our 40 cruises.:cool:

Sail on an RCI New England/Canada cruise in the Fall (especially on Jewel and perhaps next Fall on the Brilliance) and you should see it on the menu in the main dining room and in the specialty restaurants as well. In 2010, there were still some offered on the first several nights of the Jewel repositioning cruise.:)

We hardly can finish one.

Aren't the portions big enough for you?

Anyway, except for the upsell items, it wouldn't make any logical sense to charge for more food in the MDR, knowing full well that one can eat a complete dinner in the MDR and go right to the Windjammer and continue eating all night long if you so desire.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Anyway, except for the upsell items, it wouldn't make any logical sense to charge for more food in the MDR, knowing full well that one can eat a complete dinner in the MDR and go right to the Windjammer and continue eating all night long if you so desire.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Why do you concern yourself with how much someone else eats? I rank that question up there with people concerning themselves with how much others tip.:rolleyes:

Why do people order two entrees?... We hardly can finish one. Aren't the portions big enough for you?

Aww, that's not fair. Some people, ourselves included, order more than one entrée so we can share/taste. DH gets one, I get one, perhaps we share one more. I don't think it's excessive.

On our Liberty cruise in 2008, we took our children. Our son was 17 at the time and each and every night of our cruise, he ordered one entrée and the sirloin steak. He ate every bite and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our lovely wait staff, all women, enjoyed watching him enjoy his food. :) Nothing was wasted and he has a story to tell ("I went on a cruise and every single night, I ate a steak for dinner!").

It's a personal decision and I'm sure as long as passengers are permitted to do so without charge, manyt will order more than one entrée.

While I can definitely understand your confusion on this since they are standard portion sizes.... there are other factors to consider.

a) American's tend to eat more. The restaurants have destroyed portion sizing in the US. (That's part of why we have such a high obesety rate).

b) We want to try several things and order two for the variety. This means usually only eating the protein portions of the entrees and not doubleing up on the starches in my case... or that I am sharing it with someone else.

Typically the husband and I order 3 appetizers (1 to share) and 3 dinners (1 to share). But we have been known to order 4 of each as well (2 each).

While I can definitely understand your confusion on this since they are standard portion sizes.... there are other factors to consider.

a) American's tend to eat more. The restaurants have destroyed portion sizing in the US. (That's part of why we have such a high obesety rate).

b) We want to try several things and order two for the variety. This means usually only eating the protein portions of the entrees and not doubleing up on the starches in my case... or that I am sharing it with someone else.

Typically the husband and I order 3 appetizers (1 to share) and 3 dinners (1 to share). But we have been known to order 4 of each as well (2 each).

We are an Asian family and we do the same.

Yes, good idea not to eat the starches.

Enjoy the protein!!

When i was on the Explorer few years back , there was no charges for extra meals even on lobsters. My friends and I tip the waiter little extra for bringing more lobster to the table to show appreciation of getting extra expensive seafood.

[quote name='CruisinGerman']We hardly can finish one.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta[/quote]

There are some entrees that are quite small, the ravioli comes to mind. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the taste something that I don't usually have the opportunity try. Last year I discovered that I like Duck! Sometimes I just can't choose between two items that I know I'll love. It's not my routine all through the year, but Cruise time is indulgence time, and while I may not finish both sets of side dishes, and may leave a few peas on my plate, I usually eat all of the main item.

[quote name='CruisinGerman']We just came off the Explorer and the menu was exactly the same as the Explorer a year before, Adventure in January 2011, Grandeur in April 2011, Liberty in May 2011 ........

When was the "change"?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta[/quote]
We were on the Jewel three times since November 12th 2011 and the menus have changed!

Archived