Oosterdam Pronunciation, please....

edmusic

Here's a site which gives it - http://www.forvo.com/word/zuiderdam/

It seems to sound like "zow der dam", which I suppose makes sense since it refers to the "south". That said, everyone I've heard refer to the ship calls it "z eye der dam".

They did use Cider damn and nothing has ever gotten under my skin as much as this. It's like LOUD - zoud-er-dam.

Again - these are Dutch names. Please honor the origins of the cruise line and pronounce the names correctly

I always thought it was "Zwee" like "Sweden." Thank you for setting me straight. :)

What about the Ryndam?

Rin like RinTin Tin, or Rhine, like the river?

The latter is correct. ryn dam is dutch ( roughly) for Rhine River.

Pronounced properly as'' Rhynedam''.

oosterdam , likewise, rimes with ''toaster'', thus pronounced rughtly as

''oasterdam''

Cheers

Hi,

shucks....I always thought Zuiderdam was pronounced '' zuuderdam" ( riming with ''zoo '' )...as the dutch word is ''Zuid'' ( South in English).

Some of its afficionadoes refer to her as the Zuidy...pronounced as

''Zoodee ".

And yet, every CD while docked in Vancouver, refer to her as the

''Ziderdam'' ( riming with ''cider'' as other posters stated ).

Who knows....

Zuiderdam is somewhere between Zoo and Cider, but I cant get the correct sound pronounciation. Does not translate from Dutch. I can do Amsterdam, which correctly has an AAAH sound, or Statendam which also has the AAH sound and then Veendam has sort of an A sound. Think we have rund this thread into the ground. Oh, I forgot Maasdam, same AAAH. :confused:

Many years ago , on RCCL Song of America , the captain made an announcement :

"We may have some rough weather this evening , maybe even a T U N D E R S T O R M "

I think the pronunciation of the "Big O" depends on your country of origin and your accent.

How close is "rain"-dam?

Where I am from (Den Haag) this the correct way of saying Rijndam: the only way to pronounce is to say: Rrhiijne..dam!!

And the Zuiderdam is: Zuiuiui..derdam

Dat moet je goed onthou...den!!

Where I am from (Den Haag) this the correct way of saying Rijndam: the only way to pronounce is to say: Rrhiijne..dam!!

Ja, but I heard some things about Den Haag... 'n koue k** stad. LOL

We live in an area heavily concentrated with people of Dutch descent, many first or second generation in the U.S.A.

It's fun to talk to the Dutch crew about the area we live in and the names of the residents (some of whom have the same "ui" vowel combination in their names as the Zuiderdam, names such as: Zuidema, Zuiderveen, Huizenga, Huisman, Huizen, Bruinsma, Buist, Heethuis, Grotenhuis, Berghuis, Dykhuis, Landhuis... There are several "oo" names as well, such as Oosterhouse, Oostdyk, Oosting, Oostema, Oosterbaan...)

The 'ui' in Zuiderdam is one of those really hard to pronounce Dutch sounds, I know, because my maiden name had a 'uy' (pronounced the same way). OK, enough with the Dutch phonics, the closest approximation is an 'i' sound, so Zi-der-dam. Oh, and Ryndam has an 'i' sound as well. Maasdam and Zaandam have a dentist's 'aaahh' sound.

Thank goodness the Noordam and Westerdam are straightforward!

Good explanation, as from one Dutch-born to another. My last name is Oostewegel, think I've had to explain?

In 2 weeks Oostewegel will be on the Oosterdam.

We live in an area heavily concentrated with people of Dutch descent, many first or second generation in the U.S.A.

It's fun to talk to the Dutch crew about the area we live in and the names of the residents (some of whom have the same "ui" vowel combination in their names as the Zuiderdam, names such as: Zuidema, Zuiderveen, Huizenga, Huisman, Huizen, Bruinsma, Buist, Heethuis, Grotenhuis, Berghuis, Dykhuis, Landhuis... There are several "oo" names as well, such as Oosterhouse, Oostdyk, Oosting, Oostema, Oosterbaan...)

You would probably get good Dutch pronunciations from these people unless there are several regional accents in Holland.

Archived