rccl in calif please

We took the Mariner 7 day to the Mexican Rivera out of Long Beach in June of 2010. Honestly, this was not one of my favorite cruises--the end of our trip was two sea days, and at about noon on the first sea day, the temperature started rapidly dropping from 80's and ended up in the low 60's. On the last sea day, the temps were in the low 50's with gusty winds. The pool deck was empty, the sole bartender was wearing a parka. Many of the staff said this was typical weather on this itinerary, and that RCCL wasn't making money. Guess this is one of the reasons you won't see a Mexican Riviera cruise from them again--or at least anytime soon. While some may not mind brisk weather on a cruise, I am from the midwest, and don't relish spending any more time in cold weather that I have to!

That's probably not the best reason unless you're saying west coast passengers are more finicky cruisers. They run ships to the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda out of Boston, New Jersey, and Baltimore. I'm sure they occasionally run into the same weather but they don't seem to be having trouble filling those ships.

Since I live in Southern California I would LOVE IT if RCI would bring a ship back out here, but seriously, how many times can you go to the Mexican Riviera anyway? The Caribbean has so much more to offer! I know that if they had a ship doing the MR run I'd do it occasionally just because it's close, but there are so many more places I want to go in the Caribbean, I think I'd end up flying out there to go on those cruises anyway.

Well.......let me tell you all about a man by the name of Stan McDonald. Most of you have never heard of him........but he started Princess Cruises, and without going in to details that I know, because he was a friend of our family (we all lived in Seattle) and I know, but will not share here, how the "Love Boat" series was created.......at a piano bar, where the concept was layed out, but that series put Stan and Princess Cruises in a very lucrative market. And where did the ship sail every week.........yep, the Mexican Riviera.

The Pacific Princess made that run famous, and people flocked to enjoy a week aboard the Love Boat.

Now, it's a dead market! Princess will continue to fill their ships for 4 months a year doing this market. They created it!

Royal Caribbean........well........the upper management just sort of blows with the wind......where ever they feel will make money......head that way. Unfortunately, there is no loyalty back toward many loyal members of the C&A, and so, for those of us that live on or near the West Coast......book what sails out of the ports close to you, and me.:)

Rick

I think the West Coast may be seeing a ship there when the new ships are in service. But it may take a while. I think they could do a great business just sailing up the California coast to Van Couver and back and then maybe some day soon Mexico will get its act together. Hope so for your sakes.:D

Princess is no longer doing Puerto Vallarta - basically it is NOT safe.

(June 2011 - 4:15 p.m. EDT) -- Citing safety and security concerns in Mexico, Princess Cruises has dropped calls in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta for the remainder 2011.

This is not accurate. They still go to Puerto Vallarta - go look at their website.

Well.......let me tell you all about a man by the name of Stan McDonald. Most of you have never heard of him........but he started Princess Cruises, and without going in to details that I know, because he was a friend of our family (we all lived in Seattle) and I know, but will not share here, how the "Love Boat" series was created.......at a piano bar, where the concept was layed out, but that series put Stan and Princess Cruises in a very lucrative market. And where did the ship sail every week.........yep, the Mexican Riviera.

The Pacific Princess made that run famous, and people flocked to enjoy a week aboard the Love Boat.

Now, it's a dead market! Princess will continue to fill their ships for 4 months a year doing this market. They created it!

Royal Caribbean........well........the upper management just sort of blows with the wind......where ever they feel will make money......head that way. Unfortunately, there is no loyalty back toward many loyal members of the C&A, and so, for those of us that live on or near the West Coast......book what sails out of the ports close to you, and me.:)

Rick

Spot On !!!!!!

I think RC should do an alternate cruise from San Pedro, one week to the MR and the next north, as they did when the dreaded swine flu changed itineraries for 6 weeks. It seemed like folks really enjoyed that itinerary, even though it was forced on them at the time.

I, for one, loved seeing those ships pass under the Golden Gate!:)

We are Diamond with RCI and were looking at a Princess Coastal. It is more money than a Mexican with Carnival, but we are getting tired of Cabo and PV. If you figure in the air, hotels, meals etc, to get to the other coast it is affordable. I would like RCI to figure how many people would be willing to pay a premium not to bother with flying.

We are Diamond with RCI and were looking at a Princess Coastal. It is more money than a Mexican with Carnival, but we are getting tired of Cabo and PV. If you figure in the air, hotels, meals etc, to get to the other coast it is affordable. I would like RCI to figure how many people would be willing to pay a premium not to bother with flying.

They did, and sent you the Mariner. Turns out that it WASN'T profitable............or she would still be there!!!!!!!!!!

They did, and sent you the Mariner. Turns out that it WASN'T profitable............or she would still be there!!!!!!!!!!

The Mariner did the Mexico run, I was on it twice, loved the ship. I see after re-reading my post that I was not clear. I was trying to say I would pay more for a RCI cruise doing a Coastal (NOT MEXICO) than I would for a Mexico cruise. We actually did this during the swine flu scare. I know at that time the fare was low because it was a last minute change and people were hopping off because it was not Mexico. I do not believe RCI has tried to do a Coastal (Calif, Oregon, Vancouver, San Diego, Santa Barbara etc.) since that time. Princess seems to be able to sell out these cruises and at a substantially higher rate than Carnival has for the Mexico runs comparing the same weeks.

The Mariner was pulled out of Mexico, not off of West Costal Cruises, and I heard it was more because of the preceived risks in taking passengers to Mexico.

The Mariner did the Mexico run, I was on it twice, loved the ship. I see after re-reading my post that I was not clear. I was trying to say I would pay more for a RCI cruise doing a Coastal (NOT MEXICO) than I would for a Mexico cruise. We actually did this during the swine flu scare. I know at that time the fare was low because it was a last minute change and people were hopping off because it was not Mexico. I do not believe RCI has tried to do a Coastal (Calif, Oregon, Vancouver, San Diego, Santa Barbara etc.) since that time. Princess seems to be able to sell out these cruises and at a substantially higher rate than Carnival has for the Mexico runs comparing the same weeks.

The Mariner was pulled out of Mexico, not off of West Costal Cruises, and I heard it was more because of the preceived risks in taking passengers to Mexico.

Correct you are...Princess coastal cruises are booking up quickly...Get back onboard with the west coast RCI...We have $$'s and are willing to spend them !!!

I think the West Coast may be seeing a ship there when the new ships are in service. But it may take a while. I think they could do a great business just sailing up the California coast to Van Couver and back and then maybe some day soon Mexico will get its act together. Hope so for your sakes.:D

It rains too much in Vancouver.......it's where I grew up but it's too rainy even for me.;):D Personally I am one West Coaster that is happy to fly to Florida or Europe..etc.. for the weather and the itineraries. Even when the ships were here I still preferred to travel for my cruises. Don't get me wrong.....I enjoyed many cruises from the West Coast but still prefer other ports for my cruises.:) I imagine that there are many other West Coasters that feel the way I do so it doesn't help the West Coast market when even we don't want to cruise from here. However.........I will always LOVE Alaska!:cool::D

We used to have the RCI Monarch doing 3 and 4 day cruises from Los Angeles. We enjoyed several cruises on the Monarch and would like to see that ship(or another) return for 3-4 days cruises.

Galveston is our closest RCI homeport and we are flying to New Orleans for a Voyager cruise in Feb. When we fly back east anywhere, we try to B2B a couple of cruises to take advantage of the flight.

Rick

Yes, our next RCI this year will be out of Galveston, the closest port to us except RCI doesn't have anything year round there.

Kerrie :)

I think RC should do an alternate cruise from San Pedro, one week to the MR and the next north, as they did when the dreaded swine flu changed itineraries for 6 weeks. It seemed like folks really enjoyed that itinerary, even though it was forced on them at the time.

I, for one, loved seeing those ships pass under the Golden Gate!:)

I enjoyed the coastal itinerary, but, many passengers found it to be too cold. The week that I sailed the weather was absolutely beautiful in all of the ports, but, it was very cold at sea in the month of June. I agree with you, and hope for creative itineraries that include San Francisco.

Sad but true, Till this day I cannot believe they sent that ship around South America to LA just to do the Mexican Riviera and had no other plans for different destinations out of LA to maybe like the Pacific Northwest or maybe HAWAII or repositioning her Seattle in the summer to do Alaska runs.:confused:

Any of you west coasters been on the 3/4 Carnival cruise on the Inspiration? I did not like the Paradise at all. DH is getting tired of flying so I am considering Carnival from Long Beach since the prices seem to be pretty good.

Any of you west coasters been on the 3/4 Carnival cruise on the Inspiration? I did not like the Paradise at all. DH is getting tired of flying so I am considering Carnival from Long Beach since the prices seem to be pretty good.

They are sister ships with basically the same deck plans. Only difference would be decoration.

We liked the Paradise when it was non-smoking.

Rick

They are sister ships with basically the same deck plans. Only difference would be decoration.

We liked the Paradise when it was non-smoking.

Rick

Another difference is the Inspiration went through major month long drydock which they pretty much renovated every space on the ship (public space, cabins plus bathrooms, outdoor areas, etc.) The Paradise has not went through this renovation yet. So the Inspiration is probably in better condition than the Paradise.

Gee, what a novel concept! Move the ship(s) to ports where they will actually...you know....make money!

Enough with the whining about RCL already!

Your complaint should be directed at your fellow west coast residents who didn't book RCL cruises in sufficient numbers to enable RCL to keep running cruises from there. I, as a stockholder, am glad that they left the west coast for more profitable locations.

Gee, what a novel concept! Move the ship(s) to ports where they will actually...you know....make money!

Your complaint should be directed at your fellow west coast residents who didn't book RCL cruises in sufficient numbers to enable RCL to keep running cruises from there. I, as a stockholder, am glad that they left the west coast for more profitable locations.

Ouch! That must have hurt.:D

What would we have to do on these boards, then?:D

So you, as a stockholder, were glad when they moved the Mariner to do the eastern Med/Egypt itineraries and that went up in flames? That must of shaved the company's bottom line a bit....

Now that they have had to retreat to Galveston do you think that they are making that much more money than when they were in LA?

I do agree with your larger point, however, in that RCI can move its ships where they think they will make the most money. However, those decisions are typically made over a year in advance and things can change. That gives them a large opportunity to end up being wrong and for armchair CEOs on these boards to chime in with pontifications on which routes make money and which don't. And the truth is, no one knows how much money they make and how much they don't. Even your cabin steward/waiter....

The Mariner wasn't moved here to LA on a whim. RCI (and other lines) had been here for years and I'm sure their research indicated this area would support the Mariner and make it worth it to sail around the horn. Then the recession hit and they scrambled to Europe, which is now experiencing its own problems. So now the ships are coming back to the Caribbean.

RCI is chasing the money, as it should. But for some on these boards to scoff and say that RCI shouln't come back to LA because we didn't do enough to "support" it during the Great Recession and that the Mexican Riviera route is a money-loser is a little much.

We are TRUE RCCL guys but last year we tried the Paradise and liked it for the Weekend...so in 3 weeks....were going again...this time on the Inspiration....and looking forward to it. I am sad that this money we are spending is not going to RCCL...But if we fly to Florida to do a 3 day cruise...the price would not be worth it...Crossing our fingers RCCL will come back one day...I trully believe it will be when the NEW Panama Canel is opened....so maybe a ship will be here in So Cal at least several months a year...Crossing fingers! :)

Mike

Ya ok, it was odd that the Mariner set sail for Europe soon after Allure showed up in Florida:confused:

We are TRUE RCCL guys but last year we tried the Paradise and liked it for the Weekend...so in 3 weeks....were going again...this time on the Inspiration....and looking forward to it. I am sad that this money we are spending is not going to RCCL...But if we fly to Florida to do a 3 day cruise...the price would not be worth it...Crossing our fingers RCCL will come back one day...I trully believe it will be when the NEW Panama Canel is opened....so maybe a ship will be here in So Cal at least several months a year...Crossing fingers! :)

Mike

RCCL has a # of ships which will fit the current canal configuration. The Radiance has been through the Canal, but will only pass near this year on its way to Alaska from Australia.

Rick

Archived