First Day Routine....

fischymom

What is your routine when you first get onto the ship? Do you like to do something specific or do you like to wonder around? Do you follow step A, B,C or ???:D

When we went last August we went to explore first (our first cruise too) and then went to windjammer. We then went and found our cabin. Our suitcases were in the hall so I caught a steward and asked if it was ok if we just went ahead and got our bags so they did not have to worry about them. Next we went to explore outside on all the decks.

We usually board early (11:30 or noon). Our first stop is our cabin to drop off out carryons. We sail Princess, and they have the cabins ready when boarding starts. Our next stop is usually the library to get some books for our cruise. By then we are start to get hungry, so we head up to the buffet for lunch.

We, too board early, and I wear a bathing suit under my clothes so I can hit the pool 1st thing. We've eaten a late breakfast, so we don't need to partake of the feeding frenzy....

Hit the pool, get a drink and relax and enjoy!

We get on around 11:30 am, drop the carryons off (except on Carnival), go out on the balcony, open the champagne that my TA gives me, and begin our vacation. In March, I'll make a quick trip to the spa to get the thalossotherapy pool pass and then get lunch. Then, back to the balcony.

We board late b/c we prefer to be behind the lines / crowds & those who have to get there 1st.

By the time we board the cabins are ready so we drop our stuff. One heads to the bar to order drinks; the other ducks into the buffet to get cheese & crackers.

We board early and check out table in diningroom, tour the ship and hit the buffet. Then to cabin when kids are at the pool with dad, I will put stuff away if luggage is there. Then head to muster drill and the sail away!!!!

we like to get on early also. we hit the pool deck and try to get a table outside on the deck, get lunch from the wj, and get the first cocktail. it is also wise to wear ur swimsuit under ur clothes but if not be sure the kids do. this is the most exciting time of the cruise so i try to soak it in.

but vacay doesn t officially start until the bags r unpacked and under the bed.

We try to get to the pier by 11 -- check in -- boarding usually starts around 11:30. We usually go to our cabin right away (HAL) to drop off our carry-ons if the cabin is ready. Then we stop by the Neptune Lounge and introduce ourselves to the concierges. We also re-confirm all dinner reservations that we made online. From there we go to the dining room for lunch.

Board whenever we arrive.....sometimes early and sometimes later. Once on board drop carryons in the room then explore the ship. Lunch is in the MDR if HAL, otherwise, the buffet. Get a drink and find a quiet spot for the sailaway. I start unpacking as we get ready for dinner and finish it that night.

• 4 months later...

In the past we've always chosen to go to the room first and then tend to just stay there on the balcony for sail away. That's not to say we didn't do a little touring of the ship on the way to find our rooms, because we do. Usually the time leading up to the cruise has been very stressful for me since we've always cruised with our kids and I go over and above to make sure everyone else in the family is happy with the vacation, putting myself last. For our upcoming one, all bets are off. My understanding is that Haven passengers have their own bon voyage thing in Posh, but even if we decide not to partake (which I SERIOUSLY doubt) we still have a bow solarium stateroom in which to enjoy our sail off on.

We have a little tradition and usually follow this pattern ...

Head for cabin to drop off carry-on/ find the first bar and grab a cocktail/go to the spa to make reservations if we didnt already online/stop by the dining room to find our table (for 2 reasons, if we requested a table for 2 we want to ensure it was arranged or request the change. And once you know where it is you don't have to wait on a potentially long line to be seated the first evening) / familiarize ourselves w the ship if we haven't sailed it before / go back to cabin to unpack/ head to the deck for muster and then of course hit the sail away party!!

What ever you plan to do take your time and capture the memories. It all goes by so quickly. We have been on 17 cruises and have 3 planned. You will be hooked! :).

Hope this helps you

What is your routine when you first get onto the ship?

First stop, the pool. I get my yellow police tape out and reserve my seats for the week. Then off to the theater, same there.

Then the buffet, find some empty tables, and plop all of our carry on luggage there. Then off to the line. We do not eat anything, but we like to inspect the food, feel the rolls, check for freshness, put them back, smell the meats. You would be amazed at how rude some of those people in the lines can be, as if they were the only hungry ones on the ship.

Then we sit at a couple of tables, and tell the staff to bring us some beers. Every stinkin' time they tell us they can only bring us water and juices from the WJ, not anything from the bars. Well, we then berate the staff for their poor service. Obviously, they have no idea we are in a suite.

At dinner, we get a large table, and fill in everyone about how awful this cruise has been for us, and when we find out that someone has an inside cabin we laugh hysterically, then reprimand the Maitre D for seating us with the steerage passengers and demand a better table.

First stop, the pool. I get my yellow police tape out and reserve my seats for the week. Then off to the theater, same there. ETC

quote]

This post should have a spew alert. :) Now have coke all over the keyboard! Didn't want to take up space with whole quote.

We board early and check out table in diningroom, tour the ship and hit the buffet.

That's pretty much our standard routine as well. I've found that checking out in advance where your dining table is, is especially helpful for the first night when many folks are lost. :)

First stop, the pool. I get my yellow police tape out and reserve my seats for the week. Then off to the theater, same there.

Then the buffet, find some empty tables, and plop all of our carry on luggage there. Then off to the line. We do not eat anything, but we like to inspect the food, feel the rolls, check for freshness, put them back, smell the meats. You would be amazed at how rude some of those people in the lines can be, as if they were the only hungry ones on the ship.

Then we sit at a couple of tables, and tell the staff to bring us some beers. Every stinkin' time they tell us they can only bring us water and juices from the WJ, not anything from the bars. Well, we then berate the staff for their poor service. Obviously, they have no idea we are in a suite.

At dinner, we get a large table, and fill in everyone about how awful this cruise has been for us, and when we find out that someone has an inside cabin we laugh hysterically, then reprimand the Maitre D for seating us with the steerage passengers and demand a better table.

LOL!! Too funny!

Drop off carryons in stateroom. Head to the buffet. Get my soda mug if it wasn't in my stateroom. Fill my soda mug. Then I know I'm on a cruise! Go back to the cabin and have a nap. Getting 3 kids to a cruiseship by myself is tiring. There's always at least one flight involved.

After the nap, start unpacking. Go to muster drill. More unpacking. Nag the kids to put away their clothes and help me unpack. Go to dinner. Take littlest child to the kids club so he can check it out. Register him. Make note of when kids club will open for dropoff as littlest one will want to be first one there. The kids club is his favourite thing about a cruise.

As soon as we board, we head up to the dining area to eat. Then we head out to the pool area to check it out and then start to wander around, checking out the ship. It's usually not too long before they say that the rooms are ready and we go check out our rooms, put our things away and back out to see more of the ship and take pictures. :)

Arrive around 12:30 or 1:00 so we can go right to our cabins and drop stuff off. Then go to have lunch. Go check out where our table is in MDR and then muster. Then sail away with DOD in hand.

Archived