LIVE from the Grand Princess - 14 days - February 4 - 18, 2012

Pia1913

Pia

I am also curious about the Captain's Cricle party. In November on the Emerald it was the absolute worst ever and we've been to many.

The drinks were watered down and the minimal food was cold.

My husband will never attend another party, but the rest of us are hoping the Grand will be better .

enjoying yours posts

I don't get it...we were on the Emerald in Nov. and it was one of the best parties. Our drinks were not watered down...we had to turn down food offerings..they came around so often, and on top of all that an officer came around and noticed our drinks were empty and signaled a waiter to get us a refill. Maybe we were just lucky?

I don't get it...we were on the Emerald in Nov. and it was one of the best parties. Our drinks were not watered down...we had to turn down food offerings..they came around so often, and on top of all that an officer came around and noticed our drinks were empty and signaled a waiter to get us a refill. Maybe we were just lucky?

I was on the Emerald November 8th and I had the same experience you did. Best food and drinks EVER at the party. They had chicken on skewers, stuffed mushrooms etc.

Sali

And a happy Thursday morning to all of you on a sunny and calm sea day. Nothing new to report about last night, unless you want to hear about Mike eating two bags of popcorn at bedtime. We got our official notice as to what we have to do on turnaround day, be off the ship no later than 9:45 and expect to be off until at least 10:30. We are hoping to be one of the last off. There are 860 staying aboard and I thought perhaps they would bring immigration on to do the clearance on board. I thought incorrectly.

Today at noon will be the most traveled luncheon, which is something we always enjoy. For those who know me, yes, my entrée will be chicken breast and broccoli. Also, they usually serve a wonderful seafood appetizer, but this time it will be foie gras. YUK! We’re having a fruit plate.

As always it’s either feast or famine. During the day nothing of consequence other than a culinary demo with a galley tour in the AM and an ice carving demo at noon. The old 75% (hahaha) off three hour sale at 10:00 and Puss in Boots on MUTS in the afternoon.

Night time has it all. At the same time: British Invasion in the theater and the comedian (one of few whom we really like) Al Katz, in Vista. And if you see either show, it will be very difficult to attend the Marriage Game in Explorer’s, since there’s a definite overlap. Tonight is also formal night with the Captain’s Circle Cocktail Party. There will be three of them; we go to the one at 6:15. Somewhere along the way people are supposed to have dinner. Like I said; feast or famine. Almost forgot. Evening movie on MUTS is Real Steel with Hugh Jackman. So many choices; so little time. Good thing we sail again next week. I think we had better see the comedian, since we know British Invasion will be presented again.

Amelia: Those rolls are not here

John: Adult pool is closest to buffet

Yes, we liked Ides of March.

Breakfast time.

Pia;

Thanks for your report. Sounds like you had a great day. Hope you enjoyed the luncheon.....:):):)

Bob

Do you think they will have you get off, go through immigration and then turn around and get back on the ship? That's what we got to do when we arrived in FFL on our way to Galveston and 2/3 of the pax got off in FFL.

Yes, that is what they do in Fort Lauderdale.

Do you think they will have you get off, go through immigration and then turn around and get back on the ship? That's what we got to do when we arrived in FFL on our way to Galveston and 2/3 of the pax got off in FFL.

Yes, that is what they do in Fort Lauderdale.

Popping in for a short visit, because you needed to know we actually won trivia this morning without a tie. This one was a biggie; 25 questions, which you needed to read and/or see to identify on a screen. They held it in Vista instead of Explorer’s. Hooray for us with 23 out of 25. :D

Captains luncheon was lovely, as usual. It’s amazing what they can do to a fruit plate. Drank too much wine, so went back to cabin for a short snooze. Went to afternoon trivia all dressed and ready for formal night. Shouldn’t have bothered; we lost by one. Captain’s Circle party good; Mike had his margarita, I had my pinot grigio and our guests had their preferences too. Note to Caryn: no champagne won this time. :(

Doug: how many days does your friend have? What's my competition?

Folks, I will answer your questions tomorrow morning. Goodnite.

The US requires that everyone go through immigration when first reaching the USA.

Thus, a ship that stops in FLL on the way to Texas is that first USA stop.

Compare it to a plane flight. If you are taking a flight from Australia to California with a stop for refueling in Hawaii at 2 AM, then everybody must get off the plane at 2 AM and go through immigration, then reboard the plane and go on to the mainland.

Good Morning all. Friday February 10th, with weather forecast of high 70’s. We are due to anchor shortly in Princess Cays where the majority of passengers will be doing their day at the beach. You who know us also know “ we don’t do beach.” Hey…….we have beach if we want it 24/7 x 365.

Post party last night our group of seven didn’t get into dinner until 7:45 making it impossible to attend any show. No worries; there’s always next week with six of us staying on. Yes, we finally went to the diningroom and I happily had lobster and asparagus. Almost as good as chicken and broccoli. :p

On board today is a George Michael concert on MUTS and an afternoon movie in the theater “Toast.” Tonight’s showtime is a classical concert in Vista with Moonlight String Quartet, the International Crew Show in the theater and “The Help” on MUTS.

Now then, some of the answers from last night’s questions.

1. Yes, we will have to get off and go through immigration in FLL. I specifically inquired at our lunch why they didn’t bring on the authorities for such a large group of back to backers. The Captain said that they sometimes do it at pier #2, but never at #21. Doesn’t make sense, but since when do all things make sense? :confused:

2. Yes, they had canapés at the cocktail party, but I can’t tell you exactly what was served (I only saw pigs in blankets), because I didn’t partake and paid no attention to the platter.

3. Tony Herriott is the permanent Captain of the Grand. Roger Bilton is a relief captain, so you may see him many places. He was on the Ocean with us last fall. For those who are doing the biggie next year (49 days from FLL to SFO), Capt. Herriott is definitely going to be our guy.

4. Gloria: regards from the Ruby people and yes, One5 is where we have Happy Hour.

5. To the person who wants my life story, I think you are asking a bit much. We have traveled extensively and have been everywhere we desire (d); many many times both by land and sea. Suffice to say, when you’ve reached our plateau, you won’t have to ask.

Gotta’ go. See y’all later. Scents of waffles are drifting by. :)

Hi guys, it’s wine time here in our cabin as we wait until it’s time to meet our friends for more imbibing at One5. Last day on board for most of the passengers who are scurrying around tying up loose ends. Future cruise consultant is getting lots of last minute business. Busiest place in town as I passed thru a few minutes ago. As I said a few days ago, there are 860 staying on for the next cruise.

Nothing exciting happening today. We didn’t even go to trivia. Stayed out at the adult pool from after breakfast until 3:30. I expect a quiet evening inasmuch as nothing on the schedule has any interest for us. Gaining back the lost hour is a plus, but we can also sleep a bit later since the gym will be closed in the morning.

Thanks for sailing along and hope you continue to do so on the next leg. I’m not sure whether or not internet will be available in the AM, but I will continue just as soon as I can.

Doug: I have a feeling your friend is in for a bit of a disappointment. Shhhhhhhhhh............ don't tell him. ;)

Pia, thanks for taking us along with you again.

On a previous thread, someone asked about the card procedure for those going b2b and you were going to report.

It has to be a Brit thing (or someone not from US), because we always get a new card when a cruise is sold as 2 sevens; whether or not you booked as one cruise or two. And never, ever, do we check out with a new card until you get a new photo taken with the new one.

I'm boarding the Grand on Saturday for 14 days and will be doing a LIVE. If you think of it, ask me what procedure occurred on February 11th.

Pia, please let us know if you do muster again tomorrow, we do not want to miss it if we need to do it twice. Glad you have had an enjoyable week, too bad you cannot stay on with us. Congratulations on winning trivia, hopefully more wins next week. We look forward to following along again next week. Bon Voyage-again. Thank you for taking your time to do the live. Seadeck2

Doug I have a feeling your friend is in for a bit of a disappointment. Shhhhhhhhhh............ don't tell him.

LOL

It can get interesting when he is mad :)

Can't wait to board tomorrow

What is the long cruise from FLL to SF? An around SA repo?

Doug I have a feeling your friend is in for a bit of a disappointment. Shhhhhhhhhh............ don't tell him.

LOL

The long cruise is a b2b2b around Cape Horn departing next January.

LOL

No repositioning but a South American circuit very popular has been fully booked since last June and the wait list is also closed. BUT some lucky people have been getting the odd cancelled cabin by trying every day

Hi Pia, I was just off the Grand on 2/4 and booked it as one 14 day. I was surprised that we got a second bar set-up on week 2 as well as invites to the 2nd wine tasting and second Most Traveled Passenger Lunch. We had Roger Bilton who I found very adorable with a wonderful personality. A good name for him would be Captain McCutie! He came with his full staff to both weeks of M&G.

My only complaint, and not a huge one but worth mention, is that my cabin was in dire need of an update. The carpet was so warn that there were holes in it. Also, the balcony dividers were all cracked with concrete breaking all over. Not a great sight. Other than that, the ships upgrades were great.

Have a wonderful time and say hi to Franky and Jack and Denise and Brian for me. :p

Hi Lynda,

When we were on right after the drydock, our cabin balcony was a mess but the cabin inside was fine. We were on Caribe deck.

What deck or cabin were you in. We are scheduled to do South America next year (49 days) and will be in Baja510.

Also did you have any issues with the elevators getting stuck, or toilet flushing problems?

Got any cruises planned? Our next one is Diamond (asia to Vancouver) this year.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards,

Gloria:D

I have found you at last .I had not noticed you were here.:oThanks for dropping in on the April 15th Roll Call because I left you a question on the Roll Call and wondered why you didnot answer.

Question was -: What was the name of the game on Sapphire Princess were we all went around to the different bars and had a kind of Bingo Card ?

Glad you are keeping well and enjoying this cruise.:)

Our M&G in the Wheelhouse is very big indeed.I don't know how we will be able to introduce ourselves to everyone.:eek:.......Heather

Hi Pia, I was just off the Grand on 2/4 and booked it as one 14 day. I was surprised that we got a second bar set-up on week 2 as well as invites to the 2nd wine tasting and second Most Traveled Passenger Lunch. We had Roger Bilton who I found very adorable with a wonderful personality. A good name for him would be Captain McCutie! He came with his full staff to both weeks of M&G.

My only complaint, and not a huge one but worth mention, is that my cabin was in dire need of an update. The carpet was so warn that there were holes in it. Also, the balcony dividers were all cracked with concrete breaking all over. Not a great sight. Other than that, the ships upgrades were great.

Have a wonderful time and say hi to Franky and Jack and Denise and Brian for me. :p

Lynda,

Things like minibar, winetasting, most traveled function and internet are given based on the shortest cruises being sold, no matter how you book. Since your cruise was also sold as two 7 day cruises, that is the way the Platinum & Elite benefits are given.

You know I can't keep away. Just saying hi before saying goodnite. Lynda, we talked about you at dinner tonight. You too Gloria. Are your ears ringing?

Who asked about muster? No, we don't have to do it again. Unless we want to. Yeh, sure. ;)

Heather, that was something one of our roll call people put together. Have no clue as to name.

OK..............hasta manana.

Archived