Accademia or Uffizi?

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

My family and I are doing a tour with RomeInLimo and have to choose between the Accademia and Uffizi museums while in Florence. Which should we choose? I'm leaning towards Accademia (mainly because of David, and more things seem familiar to me there), but would love opinions. We range in age from 9-65 but the young ones are good travelers and usually enjoy every part of a vacation, even if many kids would find it boring. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

My family and I are doing a tour with RomeInLimo and have to choose between the Accademia and Uffizi museums while in Florence. Which should we choose? I'm leaning towards Accademia (mainly because of David, and more things seem familiar to me there), but would love opinions. We range in age from 9-65 but the young ones are good travelers and usually enjoy every part of a vacation, even if many kids would find it boring. Thanks in advance!

Are you going to Pisa as well before Florence? If you are on a standard Pisa/Florence RIL trip (with a stop in the countryside at a olive oil factory) you are not going to have much time for musuems in Florence, an hour at best. You could never do Uffizi justice in that short of time. We had that same problem when we used them. In hindsight I would have skipped the stop at the olive oil factory to free up a little time. Driver would have missed out on his cut there but oh well.:rolleyes:

Go to Accademia. At least you will see David.

Are you going to Pisa as well before Florence? If you are on a standard Pisa/Florence RIL trip (with a stop in the countryside at a olive oil factory) you are not going to have much time for musuems in Florence, an hour at best. You could never do Uffizi justice in that short of time. We had that same problem when we used them. In hindsight I would have skipped the stop at the olive oil factory to free up a little time. Driver would have missed out on his cut there but oh well.:rolleyes:

Go to Accademia. At least you will see David.

Yes, we are doing Pisa as well. The tour includes a stop at an olive oil factory? That sounds really undesirable to me (and probably everyone I'll be traveling with). Maybe I'll have to give a respectful "no thank you" to that stop, thanks for the heads up.

Well here's the deal. The Accademia has the magnificent David--but not much else. It takes about 45 minutes or so. The Uffizi is a full museum with all kinds of treasures and takes about three hours +/- depending on your looking speed. So factor that into your decision on how to spend your day.

It really is apples and oranges as previous poster replied. We did both on our three day stay in Venice. If you only have a short time I would do Accademia - David is outstanding - you could not do Uffizi justice and more chance of boredom for youngsters.

I agree with the other posters - if time is limited, you just won't be able to do justice to the Uffizi, and you don't want to miss David.

If the olive oil stop includes a gorgeous farmhouse lunch with copious amounts of delicious wine :p it could be useful, but if not, then I might request to skip it, in your shoes. It's difficult to carry/expensive to ship olive oil to the US, and by summer, the oil is past the delicious "new" stage. It will still be nice, but tasting it won't be the eye-opening experience it is in November or December.

As much as I love the Uffizi (and I do love it), it doesn't lend itself well to being on a tight schedule on a port visit day. Far better to enjoy it when you aren't watching the minutes and can just wander and enjoy. So I'd vote for the Accademia.

And I'd also skip any visit to an olive oil factory or farmhouse lunch; I'd prefer to enjoy Florence to the fullest and have lunch there -- many options ranging from fresh market stalls with delicious food to great sit-down restaurants.

It really is apples and oranges as previous poster replied. We did both on our three day stay in Venice. If you only have a short time I would do Accademia - David is outstanding - you could not do Uffizi justice and more chance of boredom for youngsters.

?? Venice ??

Academia and David, you can get in and out in 45', the Uffizzi simply can't be done justice even with half day.

We rolled off the ship, first folks almost, got to Pisa and found tickets still available and did the climb and than on to Florence, busy day.. you'll have a blast with RIL.

Hi everyone,

Definitely don't miss the "David" I spent about half an hour just walking round and round it. I could almost see the blood flowing in his veins. Then just take in the rest of Florence.

Hi Cruisemom42! I hope all is well with you!!

Can I borrow this thread to ask you for a suggestion for a good restaurant or two in Florence.We will be with or college aged kids. Nothing too fancy,just good!!

You know I love your recommendations!-Kade

We will ruffle a few feathers with this post, but have had a few Margaritas so thinking its OK to express ourselves. On our first few visits to Florence we did the usual stuff visiting the Ufizzi and the Academia. DW did really love seeing David (although you can see a very good replica without leaving the center of Florence) and we paid two visits to the Ufizzi. The dreary dark renaissance art is not our favorite art (we perfer more modern art such as the Impressionists) but we did spend time walking through the Ufizzi and Academia because everyone says its what one should do in Florence. After those first two visits DW and I found we did not like Florence and avoided returning to the city for several years. Then one day, while driving through Italy on an extended driving trip, we decided to return to Florence for a couple of days (and nights). We avoided the Ufizzi and Academia and instead did a lot of walking and just enjoying the city. We suddenly realized we love this city as long as we avoid spending lots of time in the musuems (and we have been to almost every museum in town). So are we telling folks not to visit the Ufizzi and Academia? Nope. But we are suggeting that this is much more to Florence then the inside of those famous museums....and the city itself is truly a great museum in its own right!

Hank

There is far more to see in the Ufizzi Gallery than Academia overall .

The Ufizzi is basically paintings and one of the world's greatest depositeries of Art .

Academia is basically sculptures, and its fame hangs mainly on Michaelangelos breathtaking sculpture of an oversized David .

Avoid the queues at either by pre-booking admissions via Tickitaly website .

I have to agree with Hanks opinion.

We also did not go to any museums on our visit to Florence. But rather walked, shopped, ate and visited the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio as well as the Santa Croce square and church.

I loved Florence. It had a nice warm "favorite sweater" feel to me. I guess that sounds kind of weird but I tend to "feel" places and Florence "felt" great.

The city is easily walked even if some of the streets are crazy...... but if you get lost you can always ask a local as we found them to be very friendly and helpful.

We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time in Florence - hope to get back again for at least a few days - but what time we did have we truly enjoyed by just "soaking it all in"

So consider taking a "less is more" approach here. Or not - its your vacation :D

Hi Cruisemom42! I hope all is well with you!!

Can I borrow this thread to ask you for a suggestion for a good restaurant or two in Florence.We will be with or college aged kids. Nothing too fancy,just good!!

You know I love your recommendations!-Kade

Hi Kade!

You know, it's been a while since I was in Florence, but I'll look up my notes from my last visit when I get home. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to post this as a new topic. There are frequent questions about restaurants in Rome, but fewer about restaurants in Florence....

There was one really good restaurant I recall (family style, inexpensive) just a couple of blocks from the Ponte Vecchio but in a less touristy area. I ate there for dinner, but I'm pretty sure they are open for lunch. It's one of those places you have to experience in Italy -- family style shared seating, daily specials, opinionated (and rightly so) staff will advise you (no, TELL you) what to order. I'm sure I have the name but not at my fingertips.

The only problem with your statement is what if you only have about 4-5 hours in Florence, do you choose to spend it running thru the Ufizzi or just skip for a landtour someday in the future?

There is far more to see in the Ufizzi Gallery than Academia overall .

The Ufizzi is basically paintings and one of the world's greatest depositeries of Art .

Academia is basically sculptures, and its fame hangs mainly on Michaelangelos breathtaking sculpture of an oversized David .

Avoid the queues at either by pre-booking admissions via Tickitaly website .

I can not speak to the Uffizi as we have not been there. But, I can tell you that the L'Accademia was amazing. I could not tear myself away from the David for at least 30 min. and was absolutely fascinated by the prisoners. To see sculptures that are not finished gave a window into the process. I am not artistically inclined and art always seems like magic to me. To see the unfinished works helped me to get an understanding of the process of the creation of a sculpture. I will be returning on a future visit. As far as Pisa is concerned, I must say that 5 minutes was sufficient. It is beautiful but looks as it does in photos. It is largely a tourist trap. Now, that being said, we were not able to climb the tower, nor did we have tickets to enter the Baptistry (the tour did not provide them). If I had to choose spending more time in Florence and perhaps seeing L'Accademia and Uffizi and missing Pisa, I would.

This is just my two cents. I do not profess to be an expert and will graciously accept a differing opinion from someone more knowledgeable.

Another must visit sight in Firenze is the Street Leather Market sandwiched in the area between the SMN Rail station and the Duomo .

Hundreds of stalls and shops crammed with leather clothes and goods at incredible prices. A local put me onto this, as this where they buy their leather, not in the overhyped brand name fashion houses with their stratospheric prices.

Well here's the deal. The Accademia has the magnificent David--but not much else. It takes about 45 minutes or so. The Uffizi is a full museum with all kinds of treasures and takes about three hours +/- depending on your looking speed. So factor that into your decision on how to spend your day.

I agree, after David the rest of Accademia is rather plain. Uffizi on the other hand is full of wonderful works, we spent 3 hours there and could not get our teenage DD to leave.

Cathy makes a good point regarding Accademia having David, but the not much else is not quite right. Accademia is a wonderful museum with quite a lot to see. David is a must see in my view. Uffizi is great and more than a one act play, but frankly, David is the must. I would go with Accademia.

I liked David but as I am a cultural heathen I just looked at it for a few minutes and then went outside for an ice cream! It is massive though, an amazing work! He is very precious about not having his picture taken - saw loads of people getting told off trying to sneak a snap! The only thing I vividly remember was standing in the queue because it was a "free" week in pretty much all of Italy for museums etc so everywhere was busy. We tried to buy tickets but we could only get ones for too late in the day. There is another version of David hanging around a square, he will let you take his picture as well!

My ambition in life is to go to see the picture of the birth of venus. One day maybe, who knows!

I've been to Florence twice and have never been to the Uffizi. Their art is not my favorite as I would rather spend time outdoors. However, I have seen David twice (traveling with different people both times) and may see it a 3rd as I am headed back for a day in November.

With a group, I would go online and make the reservation. Check with the tour company on what time you should make your reservation. If you don't see the time you want, you can call the number on their website. I did that and got a better time to what the tour company had recommended.

Archived