Repositioning Cruises

In April, 2008, we took a 12 night repositioning cruise from Miami to Southampton on Brilliance of the Seas. There were stops along the way in Bermuda, Cobh, Ireland, Plymouth, England and Le Havre (where we took a bus to Paris).

After that we stayed four days in London and then flew home. It was one of the best trips of our lives and we enjoyed every minute. We loved the sea days where we could read, relax, watch movies, play Trivia, walk the deck, and just enjoy life. Highly recommend!!

We are thinking about booking a repositioning cruise from Florida to Europe in 2013. Wondering if anyone has experiece on any of these cruises?

My wife and I love repositioning cruises. Last year we did three and we have one scheduled so far for this year and two for next year.

Last April/May, we took HAL's Noordam from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome; in October/November we were on RCL's Voyager OTS from Barcelona to New Orleans; and then 10 days after we got home we flew to Rome to board Celebrity's Equinox for a trip from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. This coming April we will be sailing out of Miami on RCL's Grandeur and going to Malaga, Spain.

The next repositioning cruise(s) that we have scheduled after Grandeur are to South America rather than Europe. Next February we are taking CCL's Splendor for a B2B 30-day voyage from Long Beach to Valparaiso, Chile, and then from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

I have read that the airfare is much less expensive if you book a roundtrip flight and hope to use the other leg on ANOTHER repostitioning!

Barb

Try Royal's Choice Air. They have had very good prices on one-way flights to Europe.

On eastbound TA's, there are some 23 hour days; on the westbound TA's, there are some 25 hour days.

TnT

Oops you're right.. I had it mixed up. We were on a westbound. (even though we ended up on the East Coast) Geographically challenged here. :p Anyway...we really like the longer days instead of losing hours.We will have April 10th twice! Coming back from Australia. That will be eastbound. I will probably be horribly confused with time changes.

Oops you're right.. I had it mixed up. We were on a westbound. (even though we ended up on the East Coast) Geographically challenged here. :p Anyway...we really like the longer days instead of losing hours.We will have April 10th twice! Coming back from Australia. That will be eastbound. I will probably be horribly confused with time changes.

On my last TA, the Voyager out of Barcelona to New Orleans, we got a lot of laughs because all of the time changes were done very early in the trip and although we had several 25 hours days, it was getting dark at about 4pm 3 days before we arrived in New Orleans.

We have taken two westbound TAs in Nov from Europe to Florida. Both times we flew to Europe on Aer Lingus one way tickets one stop thru Dublin on to our city of choice in Europe. Aer Lingus has a generous luggage allowance on the long run from JFK (NY) to Dublin and a less generous allowance on the short cattle car run from Dublin down to mainland Europe As connecting passengers we were allowed the larger luggage rules on the short haul continuing flight out of Dublin.

The flights were around $350 pp one way ticket back then so you might want to look into it. This was 2008 and 2009.

We did a westbound transatlantic last October/November. It was great, no complaints at all.

Picked westbound as it meant the flying was first (and overnight), then a leisurely trip home rather than a long daytime flight home if we'd gone the other way. Added bonus was big fare drop on the cruise preceding the TA so we (and many others) found ourselves doing a back-to-back:)

One way fares can be very high but there are sites that quote decent rates, in fact we used RCL's ChoiceAir in the end. Also be aware that some airline flyer miles redemptions allow one way flights (AA does for one).

If you like sea days go for it :)

In April, 2008, we took a 12 night repositioning cruise from Miami to Southampton on Brilliance of the Seas. There were stops along the way in Bermuda, Cobh, Ireland, Plymouth, England and Le Havre (where we took a bus to Paris).

After that we stayed four days in London and then flew home. It was one of the best trips of our lives and we enjoyed every minute. We loved the sea days where we could read, relax, watch movies, play Trivia, walk the deck, and just enjoy life. Highly recommend!!

Hi, can I just ask, was the Paris trip through RCI? if not was it easy to arrange, we are sailing on Vision later this year and a port is Le Havre, would love to go to Paris for the day.

One way fares can be very high but there are sites that quote decent rates, in fact we used RCL's ChoiceAir in the end. Also be aware that some airline flyer miles redemptions allow one way flights (AA does for one).

If you have the time and the inclination, a good way to handle the airfare situation is to book two TAs and then use 1/2 of the r/t ticket for each cruise. Last October I flew from Las Vegas to Barcelona and took Voyager's TA to New Orleans. This April I will take Grandeur from Miami to Malaga and then fly back home from Madrid. The total cost of the r/t airline ticket was $881, making each segment less than $450.

Consider this before you attempt an Eastbound T/A. You will encounter a period where you set the clock ahead one hour each day for five days. This means that you will be eating dinner at 1pm body time. We prefer Westbound, especially since you get the flight over at the beginning. Either way, enjoy your trip.

Hi, can I just ask, was the Paris trip through RCI? if not was it easy to arrange, we are sailing on Vision later this year and a port is Le Havre, would love to go to Paris for the day.

Yes, it was an excursion booked through RCL, I think it was called "Paris On Your Own". It was not a guided tour. A bus picked us up at the port and took us to a stop right beside the Eiffel Tower. Then the lady on the bus told us to come back to that spot to catch the bus back to the port.

I think we were there four hours (or so). We tried to go up the Eiffel Tower, but the lines were too long, so we took lots of pictures. Then we crossed the Seine, and walked to the Arc d'Triomphe, took the pedestrian tunnel under the street to be at the base of it and saw the tomb of the unknown soldier.

We also ate lunch in a typical Paris bistro. After that we walked back to the Eiffel Tower, spent some time watching the boats on the Seine, spent some time sitting in the park, and got back on the bus. It was by no means a leisurely day, but was a lot of fun. We chose to do it this way because we knew if it was booked through the cruiseline we wouldn't run the risk of missing the boat.

We were on the same cruise. Agree 100%. Best trip we've ever taken so we are doing it again - this time to Rome in May. Seven sea days then Canary Is. then two sea days before Mallorca, Barcelona, Villefranche (Nice), Livorno (Florence) and Civitivechia (Rome). One of the best ways to see a number of cities in Europe because the ship is the hotel and hotels are expensive there.

We LOVE sea days and may try westbound in future. Might be nice to put all the ports up front then relax our way home. One downside is those are all in or near hurricane season. Altlantic tends (usually but not always) to be calmer in Spring.

Another repo I saw that looked interesting was China to Alaska via Japan. But that one would definitely be a "don't forget the Meclazine" cruise. :eek:

I have read that the airfare is much less expensive if you book a roundtrip flight and hope to use the other leg on ANOTHER repostitioning!

Barb

My husband and I checked into several repositioning cruises, the cost of the airfare is what kept us from going. It was mentioned to us that you book a roundtrip flight and basically don't use the other half. You can HOPE to use it for another repositioning cruise but fact it, you probably wouldn't. I believe that it has to be used within something like 6 months, maybe more but it was within a year. Someone posted a copy of their airline ticket (can't remember the airline) which stated that if you're caught doing this that you can be made to pay the entire cost of the ticket. How would they REALLY catch you....I don't know. Would you be willing to give it a try......maybe, don't think that I would. Anyway, just an FYI!

My husband and I checked into several repositioning cruises, the cost of the airfare is what kept us from going. It was mentioned to us that you book a roundtrip flight and basically don't use the other half. You can HOPE to use it for another repositioning cruise but fact it, you probably wouldn't. I believe that it has to be used within something like 6 months, maybe more but it was within a year. Someone posted a copy of their airline ticket (can't remember the airline) which stated that if you're caught doing this that you can be made to pay the entire cost of the ticket. How would they REALLY catch you....I don't know. Would you be willing to give it a try......maybe, don't think that I would. Anyway, just an FYI!
I have done multiple TransAtlantics. The last one a few months ago we did with ChoiceAir - less than $500 one-way from Washington DC to Rome, so not too bad. We have a TA scheduled for this May and are returning via IcelandAir, again less than $500 one way buying directly from the airline. We have done the round-trip with two TAs - ticket is good for a year and reservations are available 330 days [~11 months] out - we had the two TAs booked prior to buying the air ticket.

I have talked with people who claim that the airline has never done anything to them for throwing away the return ticket. BUT " How would they REALLY catch you"? - try to buy an international ticket [indeed any ticket] with cash and no ID - they have your credit card number, your passport number, and could probably get your entire life history if they so choose.

Thom

Only one way air use Choice Air(RCCL)

Otherwise round trip it and use second leg another time.

Or use your miles one way if you have any?

We have done all three! All work will work at reasonable prices!

Repositioning is good way to go for European travel and destinations.

Cruising is definitely cheaper than combo fly/land trip!

We have been to places we never thought we would go to on cruise!

Buy them first thing, early, way out or last minute for best pricing.

If they get booked up, and look like they are full, fare will go way up.

Last minute will be only chance for low fare!

Our 11/12 Rome to Galveston fare

is presently way way up,

from what we are paying from booking early.

WE LOVE THEM

We are on our 6th RepoTA!

On our first TA in 2007, we used ff miles and had to book round trip as Continental didn't have one-way option. We fully intended to pitch the second half. When requesting a seat assignment (this was when international flights using ff miles had to be done with a live body), the fellow must have figured what was up when I declined getting a seat assignment for the "return" flight. I had picked a date out of the air as far out as I could for the "return" when I booked it.

He then told me that if we canceled prior to when the "return" flight was leaving because of an "emergency" and tell them we weren't sure when we would be returning to England, the ticket was good for a year with a fare change fee. That's when I started thinking about doing a return TA back across the pond. We ended up doing a TA from Barcelona to Galveston in the fall. Our ff ticket was to London but it was an easy matter to find a one-way flight from London to Barcelona. I think it was $65 each, total.

American Airlines does offer one-way ff miles and, I think, Continental/United is doing so, too, since the merger.

Tucker in Texas

On my last TA, the Voyager out of Barcelona to New Orleans, we got a lot of laughs because all of the time changes were done very early in the trip and although we had several 25 hours days, it was getting dark at about 4pm 3 days before we arrived in New Orleans.

Wonder if they do that on the Rome to Galveston TA?

Yes, it was an excursion booked through RCL, I think it was called "Paris On Your Own". It was not a guided tour. A bus picked us up at the port and took us to a stop right beside the Eiffel Tower. Then the lady on the bus told us to come back to that spot to catch the bus back to the port.

I think we were there four hours (or so). We tried to go up the Eiffel Tower, but the lines were too long, so we took lots of pictures. Then we crossed the Seine, and walked to the Arc d'Triomphe, took the pedestrian tunnel under the street to be at the base of it and saw the tomb of the unknown soldier.

We also ate lunch in a typical Paris bistro. After that we walked back to the Eiffel Tower, spent some time watching the boats on the Seine, spent some time sitting in the park, and got back on the bus. It was by no means a leisurely day, but was a lot of fun. We chose to do it this way because we knew if it was booked through the cruiseline we wouldn't run the risk of missing the boat.

We did the same "transportation tour" through RCCL.

If you go across the plaza under the Eiffel Tower to the street running along the Seine, the Hop on/off bus picks up there. Wonderful way to see the sights! Loved it in April. Gorgeous day!!

Archived