Luggage tags being withdrawn fleetwide

LeeGrant

[quote name='RevSmith'][SIZE="3"]I seem to remember them doing this before for a little while and then the tags were back again. I don't care one way or the other as long as Royal keeps sailing and I keep cruising that is all that matters in my cruising world.
rev[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Seriously, as long as Royal keeps sailing that is all that matters? The product that they deliver is doesn't play into this? Just keep sailing.....

[quote name='Host Elizanessie']This has not been confirmed as yet..they are still doing trials on the Independence with using paper tags rather than the usual tags.[/quote]

I'm going on the independence in March - ordered my luggage tags & they arrived fine:) I know on other Independence Roll Calls that they are receiving theirs so may be RCI has had a rethink

[quote name='lydnsyd']I'm going on the independence in March - ordered my luggage tags & they arrived fine:) I know on other Independence Roll Calls that they are receiving theirs so may be RCI has had a rethink[/quote]

Last I heard was, it would be sometime in March on the Indy for the next trial with the paper tags...but as you say..maybe they have had a rethink.

I am going on Indy March31st and I can't order tags! not sure what to do:confused: In my ticket booklet there is a black and White picture of what could be a luggage tag. is that it? how will I stick that on? seems crazy to me.

I like the looks of this [URL="http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C_ZxSLdU-T-PIGYOE2gWAnKGvB9fekucBt4qB2hPFwLSuBAgAEAEgtlQoA1C3l9S_BWDJhsWLxKT8D6ABpZ63_gPIAQGqBBxP0ISyRO9kcX1UoZKfUx6vxjrPc1hXWUyzVmmtgAWQTroFEwjEmaiCiKauAhVttLYKHRF5QYPKBQA&rct=j&q=luggage%20tags%20protectors%20for%20cruises&ei=LNU-T8TTLe3o2gWR8oWaCA&sig=AOD64_0VS0kenmyAyFmTwQvteW-UutQaHw&sqi=2&ved=0CAsQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html&cad=rja"]Cruise Luggage Tag Holder [/URL]

Not sure I see what the big deal is here. On my cruises only the most recent (Navigator - January/12) did I receive tags. Never had them before. All always went well.

This time I got two sets, as I ordered them not knowing my TA had done it for me.

In any event, they aren't all that great, durable or anything anyway. First one I put on my big bag pretty much tore off as I wrestled the bag off the bed. Had to put another one on. So that pretty much says they can go missing at any time. That's why I have my own tag on there as well, as I am sure most of us have. At least that way they can check to see if that bag matches somebody boarding the ship & trace it you. Hopefully.

Since most of us print our own e-docs, what's the problem printing off a luggage tag? If that isn't an option I am sure it can be worked out at the pier before boarding.

We are 52 days from our cruise and I just printed off our set sail. Luggage tags were not an option on the check in page like they usually are. I will check again next week but they may have already started this. I really like the tags they mailed out as it was easy to slip them on right before getting on the ship since we fly. Guess I'll adapt but I don't want to have to add clear packing tape to my already too full suitcases. You can buy luggage tags at Target that you peel and create your own laminated tags so guess that's what I would do.

[quote name='LeeGrant']RCCL have been told me that luggage tags are being withdrawn from all sailings soon.

An email will be sent 4 weeks before the cruise and you will need to print your own.

Goodness knows what will happen if it is raining when you unload your suitcases as the ink will run on the printed paper.

Either that or the poor porters are going to be overrun with requests for them to add tags.

Lee[/quote]

Guess you'll have to hope it isn't raining when you embark

I've used clear plastic luggage tag holders (is it permitted to mention the website?) - print the tags, fold them, slide them into the holders, attach with the plastic loop, and no worries about the tags tearing, or the ink running.

Much easier, in my opinion, than the wrapping tape or laminating. Reusable, quite affordable, and very convenient.

[quote name='tactic']We are on the Independence in March and have our tags. Maybe I am missing the point here.... bags without tags will no doubt end up being lost, misplaced etc. This can't possibly be a cost saver because it is going to cost far more in the long run, extra staff at ports, longer to delivery luggage on board etc, surely someone needs to do a time and motion study! I dont understand how as paying customers, to enable RCCL to save a few dollars/pounds we are all expected to not only pay for a cruise, with reductions in services/facilities year on year, but we are now expected to work for them free gratis becoming printing houses and tag manufacturers!

If you are not net savvy and dont own a printer etc how to you manage? My MIL would stress and not bother booking a cruise.

Business opportunity here for someone to start their own printing of tags and charge... or maybe we can let RCCL into a few ideas for save a few more bucks.... bring your own bedding and towels, empty the swimming pool to save someone checking the chemicals, limit the luggage to 20Kg per passenger and charge for extra and oversized bags (therefore reducing fuel costs), weigh passengers at the begining of the cruise and charge for every pound they have gained by the end of the cruise for example! Someone quoted Easycruise, but then look what happened with Stelios! Maybe it will become the norm, but will they reduce the cruises in price accordingly in line with their supposed savings, how about not likely!

Rant over, it really annoys me when companies believe that by penny pinching it still achieves 100% customer satisfaction.[/QUOTE]

Not to worry. ALL you need to do is tell the porter who takes your luggage at the embarkation center you need luggage tags. He will fill them out with your info and put the tags on your luggage. Next time you see your luggage will be in the hall in front of your cabin or in your cabin if your cabin attendant gets to them first. I agree it sucks but not worth stressing over.

The last 2 times I cruised Princess we printed our tags followed the instructions folding and stapling worked just fine. Bought a small stapler to take with. You can print as many as you want put 2 or3 on each bag if it makes you feel better.

Maybe if they wouldn't double the luggage tags...they sent more than one page of tags:(...on our last cruise we recieved three envelopes full of luggage tags...seriously? I know I can overpack...but each envelope had like 10 tags in them! :p Oh, well, I guess I can purchase a roll of clear packing tape, just in case the I'll need them for the next cruise...

I will miss them as I like getting the luggage tags. But I will get used to it. Will probably take the luggage tag they have now and put it into my computer so I can make custom tags moving forward. Just take strapping tape to secure them with the luggage

Next they'll add staplers and packing tape next to alcohol on the forbidden list, but offer them for rent in the check-in lines.

It's not a big deal if they stop issuing the tags, but it amazes me how many people accept these changes with a smile and say "no problem, I'll bring packing tape or a stapler on my vacation to accomodate their penny-pinching!!!"

I bought a laminator for around 28.00. I will print out the tags at home, laminate them and cut them into strips and attach to my bags, should work just as well.

I also found a place that sells luggage tag holders that come in 9 inch length for print at home tags.

at favorsby_serendipity_com

[quote name='believer33323']I bought a laminator for around 28.00. I will print out the tags at home, laminate them and cut them into strips and attach to my bags, should work just as well.

I also found a place that sells luggage tag holders that come in 9 inch length for print at home tags.
[URL="http://*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html"]*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

You could go into business and do the job that Royal should be doing , making and sending the tags out instead of us doing our own ,after all they already have the equipment to do this ,you could have a good little business going there by the sounds of it .

[quote name='OceanCruise']What will they do for tags for debarkation?[/QUOTE]

These will also go away. You will be notified 24-48 hours before the ship returns to port of your Disembarkation Group and will need to go online using the ships internet to a 'special website' (at a 'special access rate' of .95 cents a minute) to print them out, using of course their printers at 2.50$ per copy. They will also have a small counter set up in the atrium with, lamination stations, tape gun rentals (hourly charges) and small staplers for purchase charged to your Sail and sign cards.

Upon disembarkation you are more than welcome to carry off all of your own luggage but will now be charged a $20 'early disembarkation privilege' fee paid in advance. Cash only.

[quote name='dmwnc1959']These will also go away. You will be notified 24-48 hours before the ship returns to port of your Disembarkation Group and will need to go online using the ships internet to a 'special website' (at a 'special access rate' of .95 cents a minute) to print them out, using of course their printers at 2.50$ per copy. They will also have a small counter set up in the atrium with, lamination stations, tape gun rentals (hourly charges) and small staplers for purchase charged to your Sail and sign cards.

Upon disembarkation you are more than welcome to carry off all of your own luggage but will now be charged a $20 'early disembarkation privilege' fee paid in advance. Cash only.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the $1 per luggage tag recycling fee if you decide to remove the tag while still at the port and place it into a trash can!

[quote name='bouhunter']Next they'll add staplers and packing tape next to alcohol on the forbidden list, but offer them for rent in the check-in lines.

It's not a big deal if they stop issuing the tags, but it amazes me how many people accept these changes with a smile and say "no problem, I'll bring packing tape or a stapler on my vacation to accomodate their penny-pinching!!!"[/QUOTE]

Well it certainly beats getting to the pier with a group of 30 and then still having to fill in all those tags......

Other lines have had these paper tags for years now and they really are not as bad as it sounds

So far we've only sailed on Princess and we have been using the reusable Luggage Tag Holders we bought online ever since they've gone to print your own luggage tags. You can find them by searching Google and they also sell them on Amazon. They're great! I wonder what size the printed luggage tags for Royal Caribbean will be. If they fit in the ones we've been using, I highly recommend them. Lots of reviews on the website too. It's the site the poster mentioned above.

Archived