Fictitious Cruisers?

Sbilko

I really think that CC is a great site.:) I too, take some posts as fiction.:confused: It is amazing what some people do for fun, guess they do not have much of a life.:D

As you can see, DW and I are sailing on the Noordam this fall.:o We are first visiting Paris.:) Old friends from Rome will join us there,:D then we will return with them to Rome for a while prior to boarding the ship.

The harm that befalls you is potentially being stalked, hacked and have all sorts of personal stuff about you posted on the internet because one crack pot took a little offense to something you said, or disagreed with a review or something. It only takes one nut to ruin your experience on the internet.

I detest this movement toward using only real names on message boards and comment sections in news websites. If everyone were honest, and good hearted honesty would be the best policy.

But that only describes probably 80% of humanity. The rest of our species is mentally ill, resentful, angry, or outraged about something and just looking for someone to blame it on.

------------------------------------------

As a former AOL moderator, AMEN!! I had the misfortune to be stalked by a real crazy gal...who learned my real name. I would never want to use my real name here ( or any message board ) because she would re-stalk me in a heartbeat. She would also make everyone else's lives miserable here by lying and saying the most outlandish things. If you called her on it she would stalk you too!

I think you are asking a serious question? If so, people have been banned because the are acting like, if not really, TAs, some for being offensive for varying reasons. many just set up accounts under new names (and some get banned again!).

ML

NOT a serious question, believe me:(

And to the OP, the person you mentioned sent me a Face Book request shortly after I started the HAL Stateroom Photos site. I'd never heard of this person before she asked me to Friend her and in that Friend request she included some info on who she had been and who she was now (at the time she wanted to be my friend). Things just seemed strange to me to the point that I thought that I'd do best to email a CC member whom I greatly respect. He informed me of her and the specifics and I denied the request with no reason given.

I've gone through some of what I understand you went through, as have many of us here still today.

We refuse to let the idiots who are not here for helpful reasons get to us. We are survivors and we are strong:)

Welcome back home!!!

Joanie

NOT a serious question, believe me:(

And to the OP, the person you mentioned sent me a Face Book request shortly after I started the HAL Stateroom Photos site. I'd never heard of this person before she asked me to Friend her and in that Friend request she included some info on who she had been and who she was now (at the time she wanted to be my friend). Things just seemed strange to me to the point that I thought that I'd do best to email a CC member whom I greatly respect. He informed me of her and the specifics and I denied the request with no reason given.

I've gone through some of what I understand you went through, as have many of us here still today.

We refuse to let the idiots who are not here for helpful reasons get to us. We are survivors and we are strong:)

Welcome back home!!!

Joanie

Joanie-

I understand now! I was wondering if this was a facetious question or not. Now i know...

Ignore the people who have such crappy lives that they come on this site (and others) and just rock the boat (oops, there I go again with the nautical puns. Sorry)

ML

Well , English major that I was , and after 2 excrutiating years of Latin in high school I had to look up "fora". It's Latin. The English plural is "forums".

Fora is the original plural of forum but forums, through common usage, has become an accepted alternative. Just because it is in common usage does not make it correct.

Having said that maybe it is forums in American. Did you major in English or American?

By the way it is excruciating not excrutiating. I would have thought an English major would have known that.

I'm a member of a number of different forums, or fora to be more correct, from photography to general travel to ancient history to cruising to clinical psychology and none of them escape the occasional "troll" or disruptive poster. Actually this forum is really quite calm and civil compared to some others. Part of it is the nature of the subject, part the participants, and part the work of the hosts/moderators who do a great job here. You can't totally stop the occasional disruptive poster no matter how strict or even exclusive the forum. One of my psychology forums is for registered, licensed practioners who must provide and prove their status before becoming an active member and still there is the occasional issue. It happens but luckily it doesn't happen often there or here. Enjoy this forum folks, in the world of the Internet it's a darn good one. :)

Don't know if anyone will consider this relevant, but here is my Cruise Critic story. I joined back in 2002 or so. At that time, we were cruising on several different lines. I posted a comment on a different board about service on a particular ship. For some reason, this comment seemed to irritate a particular member of that board. For the next six months or so, no matter what I posted, I was told that I was wrong. I asked to have my User Name changed. It was. I tend to be wordy, so am easily recognized. It started again. I left that particular board and re-registerd on Cruise Critic. After about a year or so, Cruise Critic changed my screen name. I never found out why. I could never remember what name they assigned so, re-registered for a third time. Believe me, the HAL board is one of the most friendly and polite boards on Cruise Critic.:)

Fora is the original plural of forum but forums, through common usage, has become an accepted alternative. Just because it is in common usage does not make it correct.

Having said that maybe it is forums in American. Did you major in English or American?

By the way it is excruciating not excrutiating. I would have thought an English major would have known that.

I blame the internet for poor spelling . We see so many words misspelled we forget the correct spellings. I still spell better than most recent college grads .

I majored in English , minored in Psychology , in America where I was born many years ago.

The accepted plural of forum in English is forums . I've never seen fora used before .

And I've completely forgotten what "plu perfect" means .

I don't understand why there is any need for "screen names". As long as you speak the truth, what are you afraid of? What harm can befall you from showing who you are and where you are from? People coming to burglarize you while you're cruising? I don't think that has happenned. Not to me, anyway.....

If people could not post anonymously, I believe there would be a lot more civility on the internet in general....

That's exactly what I'm afraid of... or at least try to prevent. Why post a sign saying I'm out of town? :confused:

There is a poster on CC who I cross paths with on an occasional basis.

We have never formally met and lives nearby. I recognize this person by their screen name, vehicle and thumbnail photos.

I also have figured out one CCer's full name and was able to figure out where he/she works. I won't tell you how because that will reveal more info about me.

I agree about keeping names/locations more anonymous and not advising when I'll be out of town. After reading some of these comments, I went and changed my CC profile a little bit to delete some info.

[quote name='FrankNJ']I blame the internet for poor spelling.[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]If you use Firefox as your browser you get automatic spell-checking on everything you type! That helps me a lot, though some errors still slip through because I'm not a touch typist and have to watch the keyboard more than the screen. [/SIZE][/FONT]:D

[quote name='Alberta Quilter'].
I agree about keeping names/locations more anonymous and not advising when I'll be out of town. After reading some of these comments, I went and changed my CC profile a little bit to delete some info.[/quote]
Yes, now I can see good reason not to list future cruises! :eek:

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]If you use Firefox as your browser you get automatic spell-checking on everything you type! That helps me a lot, though some errors still slip through because I'm not a touch typist and have to watch the keyboard more than the screen. [/SIZE][/FONT]:D[/QUOTE]

Same with Google Chrome - it's a great feature.

Bruce

[quote name='lordspain']Same with Google Chrome - it's a great feature.

Bruce[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Yes, I use Chrome a lot, and think it's faster than either FF or IE ... but many people are reluctant to even try the much more common FF, so I rarely suggest Chrome. :)
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bob brown']I don't understand why there is any need for "screen names". As long as you speak the truth, what are you afraid of? What harm can befall you from showing who you are and where you are from? People coming to burglarize you while you're cruising? I don't think that has happenned. Not to me, anyway.....
If people could not post anonymously, I believe there would be a lot more civility on the internet in general....[/QUOTE]

Guess who's feeling like a real idiot for his choice of screen names, right now...?

Sincerely,

The Kuhn Family

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Guess who's feeling like a real idiot for his choice of screen names, right now...?

Sincerely,

The Kuhn Family[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]I hope you have an unlisted phone so not everybody can find your exact address easily! :D:D There must be a lot of Kuhns in Chicago anyway. With my name, if I gave my exact town and name, my house address would be easy pickings.

Seriously, though, I think you should ask to have your screen name changed to something that's recognizable but not clearly your name and then post one "announcement" thread about the change.

edit: I just did a phone number look up using the first name that you have revealed in the past, and there's only three listed, two of which share one address. So unless you have an unlisted phone and you're neither of them, I now have a 50/50 shot of knowing where you live. :D
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]I hope you have an unlisted phone so not everybody can find your exact address easily! :D:D There must be a lot of Kuhns in Chicago anyway. With my name, if I gave my exact town, my house address would be easy pickings.

Seriously, though, I think you should ask to have your screen name changed to something that's recognizable but not clearly your name and then post one "announcement" thread about the change.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's a good idea... how do I do that?

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']That's a good idea... how do I do that?[/quote]

I think an email to the mods should do the trick:D They were very kind to us when we wanted to merge roll call threads and delete one - and very quick too:):)

[quote name='kazu']I think an email to the mods should do the trick:D They were very kind to us when we wanted to merge roll call threads and delete one - and very quick too:):)[/QUOTE]

I'm doing it now... I wonder if "258-38-3219" would work... it's my Social Security Number... I won't forget it.

(just kidding!)

Thanks, Jacqui!

Why post an announcement thread....... And create a trail?

Years ago I used a derivative of my name as a screen name on another forum where I was very active professionally. It was concerning when I google myself later for a security check up to see pages of posts come up under my real name. Maybe the general public would not make the connection, but someone within those circles would.

Archived