Mosquitoes in June

wailea4me

We are on a cruisetour with Holland arriving in Fairbanks on May 27. Cruise portion is June 3 - 10. I just read some posts about how horrible the mosquitoes are in June in Alaska. We actually thought the opposite, that they would not be a problem earlier in the season because it is still cool. S how bad will they be? Also if the temps are cooler we will likely have on long pants and long sleeves. Will they bite through clothes?

No one can say ahead of time how bad they will be. They can be anywhere from non-existent to severly annoying. They can (and will) bite through lightweight knits (especially if they are stretched tight)-- other things, no. I can't say I've ever had one bite through cotton socks, but they do through nylon socks (or whatever the stretchy non-cotton socks are made of).

It will not be too cool for mosquitos in June. Believe me.

How bad they will be has a lot to do with how wet it is in the spring. THis year we have had a ton of snow, so it will be very wet this spring (although I am not sure how bad the snow is in Fairbanks).

So, as a rule of thumb, I would expect them to be worse than normal this spring. THat said, one never really knows how bad they will be. Best to ready for them and then be glad if they don;t show up.

We are on a cruisetour with Holland arriving in Fairbanks on May 27. Cruise portion is June 3 - 10. I just read some posts about how horrible the mosquitoes are in June in Alaska. We actually thought the opposite, that they would not be a problem earlier in the season because it is still cool. S how bad will they be? Also if the temps are cooler we will likely have on long pants and long sleeves. Will they bite through clothes?

The thing with Alaska , south - eastern Alaska warms up a lot earlier .

We cruise to Alaska in May and Juneau & Ketchican had mosquitoes

like a black cloud. Skagway on the hand no mosquitoes one week and

the stop a week later had tons . The temperature is the main factor

in mosquito breeding . The mosquito larva will hatch as soon as the water

pools are ice clear and warm enough. Don't forget all the other

flying insects:mad: that come out as well besides mosquitoes.

It will not be too cool for mosquitos in June. Believe me.

How bad they will be has a lot to do with how wet it is in the spring. THis year we have had a ton of snow, so it will be very wet this spring (although I am not sure how bad the snow is in Fairbanks).

So, as a rule of thumb, I would expect them to be worse than normal this spring. THat said, one never really knows how bad they will be. Best to ready for them and then be glad if they don;t show up.

AKMan is so correct. We will definitely have mosquitos in June.

The Interior of Alaska had a bad mosquito season last summer. While the Interior is relatively dry during the summer, last summer we had a rather cool, damp summer. Fairbanks was so cool last summer that I don't think that we officially hit 90F, although we did officially hit 89F. And for everyone who is wondering, yes, Fairbanks does usually have some 90F weather in the summer.

While we don't have the snow amounts this winter that Southcentral is experiencing, we do have more snow than we have had the last several winters, with more forecast for tomorrow. Given the snow pack, I would not be surprised to have another bad mosquito summer.

It is important for visitors to remember that while Alaska does have mosquitos, our mosquitos do not carry any diseases. Be prepared with insect repellant, and enjoy yourself in the outdoors.

I'm planning to dose myself in insect repellant for two weeks while cruising/travelling. Mosquitos love me.

Has anyone had any success with those personal repellants that clip onto clothes?

Our son is allergic to DEET, so he has tried those, along with everything else. Although they work to a degree, it's not like wearing DEET repellent.

Unless you are really are hiking in the woods, mosquitos probably won't be much of a problem. Sometimes first time visitors to Alaska become a little too concerned about them.

I have absolutely no idea as to whether the product described by treinka works or not. When we have been out in the woods I have sprayed a bandana with repellant and tied it around my neck with moderate success.

Unless you are really are hiking in the woods, mosquitos probably won't be much of a problem. Sometimes first time visitors to Alaska become a little too concerned about them.

quote]

Or trying to birdwatch at Creamer's Field, like we did last July!

=quote]

That was our experience. Our weather was great in all ports around 70 degrees in late May. We were at Totem Bight (sp?) park and that was the only time we were bothered with mosquitos. We saw the path down through the woods to take you to see the totems and all we saw was bugs. We had two little ones with us and figured the two totems we saw near the parking lot was good enough!!

Actually, by August they are on the way out. One can never say for sure, but by then, they won;t be a big problem.

Mid August is the usual cut off, with prior having the bugs, after, likely gone.

Oh, that's great! We're there in mid-August, and mosquitos in particular LOVE me! I'll bring the repellant anyway, but nice to know that I may need much less of it.

Keep in mind that Alaska has other flying insects besides mosquitoes.

There are horse fly's , no-seem's , wasps and a number of others that it can't recall . All of them don't response to any kind insect repellant.:mad:

Groan.... Terrific!@!! Not.

I'm going on Alaska cruise as a good sport for my DH who has wanted to go for years. Now I read this and I'm becoming less and less of a good sport. I HATE horse flies and mosquitoes.

I'm locking myelf in the cabin and not coming out until we're out to sea. :D :eek:

I'm planning to dose myself in insect repellant for two weeks while cruising/travelling. Mosquitos love me.

Has anyone had any success with those personal repellants that clip onto clothes?

I tired one and I think it worked, but with only one try, can't say it worked 100%. I didn't get bit anyhow. Needs some batteries.

I tired one and I think it worked, but with only one try, can't say it worked 100%. I didn't get bit anyhow. Needs some batteries.

Thanks. I'll have to try it here in May. Of course if we stay in a drought I doubt we'll have many mosquitos but even if there is one, it will find me.

Sail7Sea...

I'm with you. Never had a desire to go to Alaska but my best friend has wanted to go for years so I finally gave in. We are going in June.

To hear there are blankets of mosquitos is NOT appealing to me, they love me. I'm already starting to itch reading this damn thread! :(

You have to remember that the state bird of Alaska is the mosquito. You need to buy 100% Deet bug repellent. Also, if they really bother you, get one of those bug nets that you wear over your head. We needed ours occasionally.

Another technique for handling mosquitoes is to travel with someone who attracts them. My wife is such a person. When she is around, every mosquito from a 10 mile radius flies in to bite her. That makes it better for me. LOL.

DON

Keep in mind that, while there are plenty of mosquitos around, they are mostly concentrated in the woods. Out in the open, if there is any kind of a breeze, there will be no mosquitos they really don't like wind). If there is drizzle, there will be no mosquitos (they don't like rain) except under the cover of trees-then watch out! As for the other bugs, unless you tromp around out in the bush -into thick woods, you will not have much problem with bugs.

It is possible to have clouds of gnats in the woods, however, in the evenings (especially later in the summer), but they are not too bad.

As for me, I never use bug spray here in town. I do use it when I play golf, occaisionally and when I hike in wooded areas.

Other than that I just don't need it. So don't panic......

"Another technique for handling mosquitoes is to travel with someone who attracts them. My wife is such a person. When she is around, every mosquito from a 10 mile radius flies in to bite her. That makes it better for me. LOL."

Your poor wife. That above statement really made me laugh. I am one of those people like your wife. It is awful. I have been to Alaska 3 times in June and not had a problem though. In 2007 we were mostly on the Kenai Peninsula. Maybe they aren't so bad over there cause of the dampness from the ocean.

We were inland in Denali area in early September, 2009 and didn't have any problem either. I was prepared with my bug repellant but thankfully didn't need it.

So it must be hit and miss.

I'm like your wife too! I'm going armed with Deet, insect repellent shirt, convertible pants, hat,and socks! No way I will let the critters get me down! Of course I hope I don't need any of it-- all have multiple uses and were obtained at amazingly low prices in a sale.

Archived