can we leave the ship once checked in?

meripour

If we want to get check in and on the ship to drop all our stuff off, can we leave and get a cab from Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale to go to the grocery store for misc items and wine prior to departure? Are there plenty of cabs?

Or should we have the cab driver stop on the way from the airport to the ship before we check in?

If we want to get check in and on the ship to drop all our stuff off, can we leave and get a cab from Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale to go to the grocery store for misc items and wine prior to departure? Are there plenty of cabs?

Or should we have the cab driver stop on the way from the airport to the ship before we check in?

You can leave the ship after embarking but i would probably have a cab stop on the way to the port. I think it would be easier for you :)

Reader

Seems that stopping on the cab ride from the airport and running the meter while you shop, would be the same as running the meter on the second cab ride......unless you plan to call for a third cab from the grocery store.

And getting the third cab may be difficult if 7 ships are in port.

So....how long do you need to shop and how many ships are in port....

Are you on a ship docked at Pier #2. If so, you can walk to 17th St to do your shopping. You most likely are, since you're boarding on a Tuesday.

Seems that stopping on the cab ride from the airport and running the meter while you shop, would be the same as running the meter on the second cab ride......unless you plan to call for a third cab from the grocery store.

And getting the third cab may be difficult if 7 ships are in port.

So....how long do you need to shop and how many ships are in port....

Actually we recently grabbed a cab at the airport and he gave us a $20 flat rate and we stopped at Total Wine and shopped while he waited. :)

Hi There

The answer is yes however once at FT L we were stopped by a guard within the terminal who would not let us pass, can not recall what deptarment he was from but even Princess could not get this guy to let us pass.

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Would one of you know about San Pedro (LA)? Would getting off to shop be OK there or is everything far apart? We are flying in from Boston and don't want to try to pack a bottle of Asti for our celebration. Don't like the champagne on Princess.

Thanks, Laura

There is a grocery store (7-11 type) a short walk from the pier, but have never been in there so don't know whether or not they carry what you want. Otherwise, your major stores would be several blocks uphill to Gaffey.

Once in Vancouver we had the idea to drop off our luggage at the pier and then get a cab to a restaurant and come back later to check in. The cab driver from the hotel to the ship said he would do that, but when we got to the pier there was a line to check in luggage, so he couldn't (wouldn't) wait for us. He told us there would be plenty of cabs. However, once we checked in our luggage and went to get one of those plenty of cabs, there was a really long cab line of people who had disembarked and were still waiting for cabs. So the presence of lots of cabs doesn't necessarily mean that you wouldn't have to wait for a long time for one of them. It would depend on whether all of the leaving passengers had gotten away. I would definitely do what others have suggested and pick up anything you want to get on the way to the pier.

Hi There

The answer is yes however once at FT L we were stopped by a guard within the terminal who would not let us pass, can not recall what deptarment he was from but even Princess could not get this guy to let us pass.

yours Shogun

A couple of yrs ago I observed security in the terminal refusing to allow a couple to go downstairs to leave. It was one of the Fort Lauderdale terminals but I don't remember which one.

We took your advice, ordered what we need from Total Wine, prepaid & requested it be boxed. Printed tags from Princess site on sticky sheet labels for the side & top of box. Will ask driver to swing in on way to ship, we will run in, grab the boxes, and on to the ship.

Not worth the potential hassel when trying to start vacation.

I don't understand security not letting people leave the ship in ft Lauderdale (unless there not US citizens maybe?) We've left the ship many times during a B2B from terminal #2 & even #29 without any problems. If you have your cruise card with you when returning that all that's required & if walking into the terminal on the first leg you'll have your boarding pass also with ID.

Lets see I think the answer might be YES! How many people have to post with the same answer?Jezz after about 2 or3 people with the same answer wouldnt you think enough is enough? OH and buy the way I think the answer might just be YES;)

And just be warned. Fort Lauderdale cab drivers are not known for their honesty. They will try to take you for a ride,literally. Just be aware.

And sometimes they are NOT happy about a request to stop even with the meter running. Had that happen at least twice, with the most cranky type of cab driver, because he grumbled he was missing extra fare pick ups from the airport to the hotels/ships....It's worth asking though, if you are flying in on the day of sailing as it will be easier than coming back out after check-in.

Lets see I think the answer might be YES! How many people have to post with the same answer?Jezz after about 2 or3 people with the same answer wouldnt you think enough is enough? OH and buy the way I think the answer might just be YES;)

Is this somehow causing you so much physical pain, that it required rudeness?

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

Would one of you know about San Pedro (LA)? Would getting off to shop be OK there or is everything far apart? We are flying in from Boston and don't want to try to pack a bottle of Asti for our celebration. Don't like the champagne on Princess.

Thanks, Laura

It's very easy packing a bottle of whatever in your checked luggage from home; I do it frequently flying from the Left Coast. I simply wrap a bottle In a pair of jeans or a beach towel and place it in the middle of my luggage. Between my jeans and the clothes all around the bottle(s) are well cutchioned.

And just be warned. Fort Lauderdale cab drivers are not known for their honesty. They will try to take you for a ride,literally. Just be aware.

That's odd. I've never experienced that from any of the cab drivers in FLL.

Nor have we.

We always board early and then disembark (lots of taxis have always been available) and go to Publix and Total Wine to pick up snacks and booze.

Never had a problem and the fare has always been in the $6.50-$8 range.

We don't ask the driver to wait but rather just hail another taxi when we are done with our shopping.

Mike:)

We have. When we disembarked we had a taxi driver put us with another couple that we did not know and proceeded to drive us to the airport. We were picked up right at pier 2. They went to a different terminal after we got out. His cab was is licensed, and he didn't turn on the meter. He charged each of us $10. My wife and I looked at each other and though it wasn't worth the argument as all we wanted to do was check in. However, if this ever happened again a quick pic on my blackberry of the car number and his license and I will call his dispatch number, after we check in for the flight home.

We have travelled numerous times in taxis in FLL and this was our only problem to date. As a matter of fact on our last taxi ride they got us a van and we were only charged $12 for 5 people and 5 large pieces of luggage and many carry on bags.

I guess you always have to watch carefully.

Andrew

Same here, off Ruby and couple of days in FL to board Coral we a took a cab from pier to Holiday Inn, $7, gave him $10 told him to keep change, he was happy to get a tip from an AUSSIE ! Very polite, took our bags right into the hotel.

No doubt you would get the odd cabbie who does not like the short fares. Just like in Sydney.

PS, Total wine and Publix at FL off 17th St near Terminal are fantastic, what a choice.

Archived