Thinking of showing up to the port with bags packed.

packard89

I would imagine that this is not possible since TSA has started running our country.

DON

Yep..port security wont let you enter either the terminal or the checkin area without printout of your edocs or some other info that says your suppose to be on the ship

I've heard of people not having a cruise booked and being able to hop on a ship just paying port charges and tax.

Only if you are a Carnival employee. One of their job perks is to standby for an empty cabin on the day of departure. If one does become available, then yes, they can sail by paying just port charges.

However, if you're not a Carnival employee, you are wasting your time. You're not allowed to just show up at the port.

What you should do, to ensure a spot on the ship. Two days before the sail date, give carnival a call they should be able to give you a last min price. I remember reading a few users here that booked cruises on the morning of the cruise and had some problems with checkin

Pretty sure the PP are correct and you can't just show up. We were able to book a seven day to the Bahamas out of Baltimore 20 hours before the ship sailed and ran into a crap ton of problems at the port trying to get on the ship and then were called the wrong names the entire week by the steward. We also ended up paying way more than we normally would $800ish pp--we wanted out of Snowmageddon really badly.

Yep..port security wont let you enter either the terminal or the checkin area without printout of your edocs or some other info that says your suppose to be on the ship

Yup, in San Diego port security won't let you into the building without your edocs (or some other info that says your suppose to be on the ship.) Then if somehow you get past the outside security there's more port security right before you go through the scanners (and that's before the health questionnaire and check in).

I read on previous posts that the TSA or Port authoritys had to know 48 - 72 hours before the day of sailing. ???

with electronic information, they usually need info within 1hr before sail time. This is why carnival tells everyone to do an online checkin, to speed up both checkin and tsa/security/customs processing.

If you were in Europe you could. Anyone can walk right up to the check-in area and talk to the agents, this is true in Barcelona, Malaga, and Civitavecchia too.

In Naples I even walked right along the hull of the Liberty of the Seas to take photos. I thought it was outrageous to have such easy access to the ship and almost told the security guards that they weren't doing a very good job, but then kept my mouth shut, I was probably breaking some rule, but there was a fence with a HUGE GAP in it! My photos are great BTW ;-)

It is absolutely not true that the manifest must be turned in 72 or 48 or whatever hours prior to sailing. It is 1 hour. It is true that you cannot show up at the ship with your bags and board. It is also true that you can book the day of sailing. You must call Carnival which then must actually call the ship to find out if any cabins are available. We tried to do this several months ago and the price was higher than if we had just booked days before and it was higher than the next sailing so we didn't do it. There are other people on here that have booked the same day and went on the cruise.

What you should do, to ensure a spot on the ship. Two days before the sail date, give carnival a call they should be able to give you a last min price. I remember reading a few users here that booked cruises on the morning of the cruise and had some problems with checkin

I booked the morning of a cruise .. no problems with check in. Never heard of anyone who did have problems.

OP you have to call .. cant show up, but you can book last minute by calling on the telephone if there are open cabins.

Actually this is not true. Two weeks ago I sailed on the Liberty and we arrived at the terminal with just our luggage, no docs and we were able to enter and check in at the counter.

Actually this is not true. Two weeks ago I sailed on the Liberty and we arrived at the terminal with just our luggage, no docs and we were able to enter and check in at the counter.

What kind of fare did you have to pay?:confused:

What kind of fare did you have to pay?:confused:

She didnt say she booked then.. she just said they did not have edocs printed out to show.

Not everyone has a printer.

PS when I booked the day of a cruise, I too showed up with just my lugggage to check in. No edocs. It happens. No problem getting into the terminal to check in.

Lots of misinformation here

Yes, you could get into Port of Miami for Liberty without showing docs until you enter terminal but at Port Everglades (Lauderdale) everyone in vehicle must show id at the gate and someone must have boarding docs

The 48/72 hour "rule" is not a rule...yes they want the manifest but really that only closes an hour before

However, you should NOT go to the port.

You could : call Carnival (and other cruise lines) direct and keep calling and see what you can get the day before *2 days before/day before whatever

You can also check with some large agencies that have some "last minute deals"...Google is your friend. Sometimes group space will have a cancellation

I do know people who have gotten on the day before/day of a "sold out" cruise by being persistant. I have neighbors (retired) who keep their bags packed and jump on board...they went on Freedom to Panama, Costa Rica like this for an amazing "pittance"

Good luck :)

Archived