MDR 1st night wearing short

I've done it....wouldn't like to do it again, but my bag didn't arrive until after 10 pm....a rarity, but it can happen. So sorry to any I offended....(hey, I've got decent legs!...no one complained!)

The 1st night is ULTRA CASUAL.

We wore shorts because our luggage had not arrived. Our waiter commented that we needed to wear long pants from now on. We were offended since it wasn't our fault......he said "no problem" but I don't think he should have made us feel bad........

The 1st night out of San Juan shorts are ok as everybody has not received their bags yet such as the case was with us and I had on shorts (see my review in signature below).

We WERE on AOS out of San Juan......read on cruise critic that it was ok to go to the MDR in shorts the first night if your luggage hadn't arrived so was very embarassed to be told by our waiter that we should not come to the main dining room in shorts.

I found that as I enter the mdr I tend to look straght ahead and not at the lower portion of peoples anatomy. Once I am seated, I cannot tell what my table guests are wearing at the lower part of their body. I can see the upper portion and if there is a nice shirt, top etc., that is fine with me. just sayin....:D

We wore shorts because our luggage had not arrived. Our waiter commented that we needed to wear long pants from now on. We were offended since it wasn't our fault......he said "no problem" but I don't think he should have made us feel bad........

You're absolutely right. This waiter obviously did not exercise common sense when making this statement.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other and it's certainly up to the cruise line/crew to determine whether to "enforce" the dress suggestions. If someone doesn't have slacks because luggage hasn't been delivered or they haven't had a chance to change and as long as they are presentable, there's no reason to deny them entry to the MDR or anywhere else.

Just a note that we pack a change of clothes in our carry on totes. It's nice to have something clean to change into after a busy and often sweaty boarding day. We put in a pair of casual pants/skirt and shirt/top, as well as a swimsuit and coverup, night clothes, and a couple of changes of undies just in case our luggage is delayed or lost. Of course we have our valuables and meds in their too, but we still manage with one small wheeled tote each plus our small day packs.

beachchick

shorts are fine any night, except maybe formal night - certainly any casual night

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I personally disagree that Shorts are fine 'Any' night.:mad: I'm sure they would be fine at the Windjammer but not in the MDR where people make a effort to dress up ...next thing it will turning up in the MDR in Pool gear! Most cruise lines have dress standards and I can't remember seeing shorts on the list

shorts are fine any night, except maybe formal night - certainly any casual night

I usually see some people wearing shorts on casual night. My kids usually wear shorts on the first night; lots of people do.

My husband and I showed up in shorts one night just to check the time of our "MyTime" reservation. We were early and said that we'd be back after we changed our clothes. They said "NO! we have a seat for you now, no worries".

This was a casual night, but not the first night. We didn't feel out of place at all. This was on Allure.

Wear short pants on the first night and any other night you choose!

Archived