Weird or Crazy things you have found in a stateroom

luv2cruiserccl

Icing (or something similar) on a lampshade next to the bed. How the cabin steward missed seeing it or why he didn't clean it if he did is beyond me :rolleyes:.

Ug this made me think of the morning we entered Glacier Bay. We were in a balcony on the back corner of the ship, so right under the Sea View Pool and Bar area. The night before was the Dessert Extravaganza. So that morning, we walked out on our balcony, all excited to see the glaciers, and there was a big glob of soggy chocolate cake stuck on our railing. Not sure if someone tossed it over or left it on a table and it blew over. Either way, it was gross. I ended up grabbing a towel to wipe it off because we were both so enthralled with the scenery, I knew it was only a matter of time before one of us stuck our elbows in it while snapping pics. Yuck.

It also provides the finder the information that the house may be vacant! A simple phone call by the finder might spell disaster for some people, far worse than a lost camera.

john

I don't worry about that. When I cruise, my house is never vacant and the people who are there are heavily armed. I pity the fool who tries that.:cool:

Once, when my husband and I left a Princess ship in Copenhagen, we were checking into our hotel and Richard started panicing in the lobby. It seemes that he forgot his Movie camera charger in our room still plugged into the wall:eek:The ship was going to go on to The Baltics and we were trying to figure out if we could get back to the ship etc. when another couple overheard his distress:oand said that they were on the same ship but doing a B2B into The Baltics and they would go to our cabin stewart and look for our charger..but we would have to wait until they got home to California to send it to us. They e-mailed us and said that they had it and about 2 weeks later we received it in the mail. They just happened to come to our hotel because they wanted to check it out since they would be staying there after their cruise. That is called being a good fellow cruiser....on the other hand, while on a Celbrity12 day wine cruise last Fall we asked our cabin steward to please exchange our bottle of champagne for a bottle of red wine...no rush as to we were going to spend the night in Paris.....the next day we had a BOX of red wine on our desk. It was equal to about 3 bottles and was actually a good box of wine. We brought it to our table for dinner so that we could share with the others at our table. The wine steward was very insulted and refused to open the box without a $15 fee...and actually told me I was lying because it wasn't left in my room as an exchange....the ship doesn't do "boxed wine" I got very upset and my husband wanted to "say something" I stopped him and went to the front desk and complained as to how the wine steward was talking to me. The desk apologized and called my room steward to "Check my story"..it seemes that the room steward was given 2 new boxes of wine from the past voyage and was told to pass them on to someone else. So he exchanged my champage for one box...but never mentioned it to us with a note or anything. So the wine steward was correct but did not handle the situtation right...the room steward was told how to handle the situtation for future times...an apology was extended to us from the front desk and everyone else involved....We drank the boxed wine on our balcony with friends...and I never knew where the bottle of Champagne ended up LOL

I found a roll of bills, about $50, once in Wal-Mart. I really debated about turning it in, not because I wanted to keep it, but because I feared it would 'disappear' somehow in customer service. I finally went to them and they assured me that unclaimed money was given to a specific charity, which they named. I'm still hoping either the person got it back or it actually was given to a good cause. I would not be able to just keep it, morally.

So thankful for honest people. I have had a camera returned to me on cruise ships that I left on the MDR table, more than once. Yes, I am forgetful.

While working at WalMart in '93, I was helping round up shopping carts in the parking lot and found an envelope with around $2600.00 cash in it. Took it to the manager who locked it in the store's safe. He told me that if no one claimed it in 30 days, it was mine!:eek: A few hours later, an elderly woman came in and checked with customer service to see if anyone had turned in an envelope with money in it. They called the manager and she explained to him that it was her and her husband's social security checks and told him the amount to the penny. He got the money for her and she wanted to know who had turned it in. He called me to the front of the store and introduced me. The woman had tears in her eyes as she thanked me over and over and told me that the money was all they had to live on for the month. She tried to give me a reward, but I told her I was raised to "do the right thing" and I was just happy that I could help her get her money back. I'm certain that if one of the other guys that was rounding up carts had found it that she would never have seen it again.

While working at WalMart in '93, I was helping round up shopping carts in the parking lot and found an envelope with around $2600.00 cash in it. Took it to the manager who locked it in the store's safe. He told me that if no one claimed it in 30 days, it was mine!:eek: A few hours later, an elderly woman came in and checked with customer service to see if anyone had turned in an envelope with money in it. They called the manager and she explained to him that it was her and her husband's social security checks and told him the amount to the penny. He got the money for her and she wanted to know who had turned it in. He called me to the front of the store and introduced me. The woman had tears in her eyes as she thanked me over and over and told me that the money was all they had to live on for the month. She tried to give me a reward, but I told her I was raised to "do the right thing" and I was just happy that I could help her get her money back. I'm certain that if one of the other guys that was rounding up carts had found it that she would never have seen it again.

Good for you.

Some people would say Karma will pay you back. For me knowing I've done the right thing means I can sleep at night.

That's wonderful--it's so worth it to do the right thing. And this way you know that the right person got it.

Awesome!

A few years ago at a hotel, word got around that a woman lost her diamond engagement ring -- possibly in the indoor pool area. I few dives to the bottom later and I found it. I didn't want a reward, I just knew that if it had been my wife's ring that I would hope someone would have done the same.

A set of orthodontic retainers :eek:

Ha! Reminds me of the time one of the bussers in my restaurant brought up a set of upper (or maybe lower) teeth:eek:

They were left hanging on the back of a chair.

OK- - - back to cruising stories.

Charlie

Edited by 98Charlie

On the NCL Dawn this past april. Early in the cruise, maybe second or third night, the steward had taken the cushions off the balcony loungers to keep they from getting wet if it rained overnight. I was trying to find out where he'd stored those cushions. (( we were in one of the new suites where the lounge used to be located, with the floor to ceiling windows))

I found them, behind the curtians, and when I pulled the first one out 2 pair of decent sunglass came along with the cushion. Came in really handy ;)

Oh wow this brought tears to my eyes. Good for you. I could not imagine how that lady felt when she found out that their money was still there and more kudos for not accepting a reward!!!

We have found a few things. Some money, jewelry and a camera all on separate cruises. All returned. My ex Dh lost his wallet in a taxi in the Bahamas while we were on a AI vacation. The hotel did have it returned minus the cash so we had to wire cash to them to mail us back the wallet. No big deal because it was more important getting everything else, mainly the pictures. Thus, the reason why it is important to me to return stuff.

Edited by cristinasails

This past February on the Jewel OTS, they had not cleaned out the fridge in the cabin before we boarded. There were items missing and some old fruit in a bowl. Of course, when they got around to servicing the fridge a couple days into the cruise, they tried to charge us for the missing items AND LEFT THE MOLDY FRUIT:eek::eek:! (even though we had informed our cabin steward of the situation). I learned that on RCI the fridge guy is not the room steward and that a call to the desk can solve many problems. Otherwise it was a lovely cruise.

On my very first cruise (RCCL), I was just sooooo excited! Got to our room and it was amazing...put everything away. Went to use the bathroom and the shower curtain had been pulled back....hanging on the little clothes line thingie was this enormous pair of ladies, bloomer like panties! We called the room steward (there are no "stewarts") - his name was Pink - he was so embarassed and wrapped his hand in a towel and removed them. He tried to fold the towel back up and hang it on the rack - I said "No way are we using that towel" - he blushed and removed it. (And so odd - every since that same first cruise, DH and I refer to all our stewards as "Pink" - not to their face of course, just to each other) Also found a purple stoned ring in a safe under the carpet piece - turned that into the front desk and hope the person who lost it got it returned to them. Like most on here, I believe karma is karma - on that same first cruise, I hit a jackpot on the nickel slots - do you know how many nickels there are in $500? Many many buckets full! Any time I win money no matter how I won it, I give it away to a charity or something like that. That particular windfall went to help flood victims in the midwest who really needed help at that time (Back in '93) - in the Azores, I found a rolled up wad of euros on the street - there was no one in site. I debated what to do but finally put it in my pocket and when back on the ship I donated it to that charity they collect your spare change for - there was the equivalent of over $100 in euros in that wad but at least it didn't go into my pocket. (Now if I could only win one of those mega lotteries! We would keep some but we don't need it and we talk about how wonderful it would be to give it all away to those we know that truly need it - anytime now karma, anytime! ;) )

Not what we found, but this story is cruise related. Drove off recently with my camera on top of the car. Was certain it had to fall off when I left my driveway. So I put signs around the neighborhood. No response. I started looking for a new camera after a few days. On Sunday afternoon (I lost the camera on Wednesday) we got a call from a man who asked for my husband. The man had found my camera. It was over a mile from my house. He was a driving instructor and saw it in its bright green case in the street. He told his driving student to NOT run over it. So he picked it up and took it home. I had no name or address in the case. But his super-sleuth daughter started looking thru our pictures for a clue. The only clue was a picture of my husbands sign and sail card. For some reason I took a picture of it. Go figure. He took my husbands name from that card and looked in the phone book for his name. He called us and the rest is history. Had it not been for that sign and sail card we would have never gotten the camera back.

In the past I have always taken a picture of a piece of paper with our name and phone # on it or a picture of my business card as my first picture. No idea why I didn't do it this time. But all turned out well. The man wanted nothing but for us to "pay it forward".

So remember that tip of taking a picture of your name & phone number.

• 1 month later...