Canon EF 24 – 105mm f/4L IS USM

Canon EF 70 – 200m f/2.8L IS II USM

Canon Extender EF 2x III

- Canon 50mm f/1.8

Tripod

Promaster XC525 Black

Flash

Canon Speedlite EX 580 II

Try a Cannon Ixus the most fantastic tactil piece of kit I have ever used. My other half was in the photographic industry for a lot of his working life and so have had the privalige of trying out many different cameras until digital really took over but thanks to his contacts still get to use good equipment. I admit to being a Cannon fan and now use a 500D with various lenses, newest toy a macro lens, not much use cruising but the tele grey lens is, I also carry an Ixus as a pocket camera, I love it.

CA

Edited by Canal archive

Can someone recommend an easy to use digital camera, small enough to fit in pocket or purse, between 200-300$?? Cruising to Alaska soon. Thanks

Most camera aficionados are brand loyal and tend to recommend the one they use, which for me is Canon.

Some years ago my daughter was in a similar predicament and I wanted her to have the ability to purchase what felt and worked best for her, so I took her down to our friendly local camera store.

They gave her a brief overview of the features of about 10 - 12 P&S cameras in her price range. She held them, played with controls and took some shots. She then short listed it to 3 and they reviewed them in more detail. After an in depth review, which included using the controls to get a really good feel for the camera, she selected the Canon G9.

Remember if the camera doesn't feel right, you won't use it much.

This process took about 3 hours.

Most camera aficionados are brand loyal and tend to recommend the one they use, which for me is Canon.

Some years ago my daughter was in a similar predicament and I wanted her to have the ability to purchase what felt and worked best for her, so I took her down to our friendly local camera store.

They gave her a brief overview of the features of about 10 - 12 P&S cameras in her price range. She held them, played with controls and took some shots. She then short listed it to 3 and they reviewed them in more detail. After an in depth review, which included using the controls to get a really good feel for the camera, she selected the Canon G9.

Remember if the camera doesn't feel right, you won't use it much.

This process took about 3 hours.

Did she get a G9 for $200-$300 though.

But I do agree go into a good Camera Store and try a lot.

Try a Cannon Ixus the most fantastic tactil piece of kit I have ever used. My other half was in the photographic industry for a lot of his working life and so have had the privalige of trying out many different cameras until digital really took over but thanks to his contacts still get to use good equipment. I admit to being a Cannon fan and now use a 500D with various lenses, newest toy a macro lens, not much use cruising but the tele grey lens is, I also carry an Ixus as a pocket camera, I love it.

CA

The Canon Powershot 50SX is a smick bit of kit. But so are a few similar cameras by other manufacturers I know the Fuji One is a good price and have seen some good results out of them.

Cameras:

Nikon D700, D300s, D90, D50 (primarily use D700)

Lenses:

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8

Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5

Nikon 70-300mm f/3.5

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5

Misc:

Nikon MB-10 battery grip

Manfrotto monopod

Need to buy some FX lenses, but haven't gotten around to it yet; probably start with a Nikon 24-70mm, but will also have a modified version of the holy trinity; after the 24-70 will make do with the 10-24mm & 80-200mm.

I had a Nikon D80, but it recently developed the dreaded aperture problem. I checked to see how much it would be to fix at Nikon and it made more sense to buy a new body.

Thursday, I should have a Nikon D7000 here. Wooohoo!!!

My Nikon D90 is still alive and kicking. I have the Nikon 24-70mm f 2.8 and just bought the Tamron 16-300 . Also have a Tamron macro and a Nikon 50mm f/ 1.8 that I don't use much anymore. I have had others but these have been the keepers.

A new Nikon D5300 that will get its trial run on the Freedom of the Seas next week.

This is a great camera. I've been a Canon user for two decades, but finally made the switch to Nikon. I just got tired of the bad metering and focus I had with the Canons. I got a D5300 and never regretted the change.

I use Micro Four Thirds (m43) after I sold all my Nikon gear:

Bodies:

Olympus PEN E-P5 with VF-4

Olympus PEN E-PM2 (as a backup)

Lenses:

Olympus 17/1.8

Olympus 25/1.8

Olympus 45/1.8

Olympus MACRO 60/2.8

Olympus PRO 12-40/2.8

Olympus 40-150/4-5.6

Panasonic 20/1.7

Rokinon FE 7.5/3.5

All of that can easily fit in a pretty small messenger bag -- no more heavy lenses!

I thought I was only one that used M43 cameras. Love my lightweight cameras and lenses.

So did I!! And also love the fact that I can carry multiple lenses with me. Which camera do you use?

Man there are some nice lists here...I am just getting started in the hobby. I was lucky enough to be gifted a Nikon D80 with a 55-200 lens. I purchased an 18-55 lens. I don't have any other gadgets except a filter kit and a backpack to keep it all in. I am looking at other lenses to possibly purchase in the future....

I had a Nikon D80, but it recently developed the dreaded aperture problem. I checked to see how much it would be to fix at Nikon and it made more sense to buy a new body.

Thursday, I should have a Nikon D7000 here. Wooohoo!!!

Curious about what the "dreaded aperture problem" is. Since I am new to the hobby, I haven't heard about that before...

Have to add one more camera to my stock

Sony HX90V, wanted a small pocket superzoom. Sometimes it's nice to carry a small pocket camera and leave the rest at home. Ride my bike a lot and will take it along just incase. Camera will be release next month, can't wait.

Tom :cool:

I've swapped systems a few times myself...but currently my setup is:

Cameras:

Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M10

Lenses:

Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5

Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO

Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 (used with Olympus MMF3 adapter)

My wife and I are planning a big vacation in 2017 (possibly the Galapagos or Baltic Sea Cruise) and I'm thinking of switching to full frame...possibly the Sony A7 series (I'm a big fan of mirrorless systems).