The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

The ships now have an iPad walking 'tour' of the art onboard. we got it at the Service Desk, checked it out for the day and it was very interesting. Gave you good info on the art and displays around the ship. They provde you an iPad not an App for your iPad. We wanted something to take with us and they have art books that present pretty much the same info, so we bought it. Love it.

Den

Is there any cost to the iPad Walking Tour of art on board? Is this available on Eclipse? Do you have to reserve for the day before? Very innovative idea from Celebrity!

DW and I did two cruises on S-Class ships in 2011 (Solstice and Eclipse). Here are a couple of pearls:

1. The Oceanview cafe (Lido-style buffet) tended to be packed around 9am for breakfast and 1pm for lunch each day on both ships. Not sure why, but watching where the crowd moves and when can help you avoid aggravation when heading up to Oceanview for meals.

2. You'll have an excellent opportunity to try new foods so be adventurous on X! Because Celebrity ships play host to folks from "both sides of the pond," the Oceanview had a much wider variety of foods at all meals than other cruise lines and gave us a chance to try some new things for free (i.e., bangers & mash at breakfast time) we normally wouldn't have tried.

3. Take care of your sommelier and he/she will take care of you. If you are an oenophile, engage them in conversation and take care of them. You may be fortunate enough to score a free tasting at your table in the MDR.

4. The wine tastings and Reidel glass tasting experiences are worth every penny. Again, if you like wine you owe it to yourself to go. Very reasonably priced and your sommelier can help with additional samples of wine you like. Just ask.

5. On the S-Class ships, we found that everyone congregated around the Martini Bar just outside the MDR before and after dinner. Get there early to get a seat at the bar where you can enjoy all the tricks the bartenders do while they make martinis and people-watch on Formal Nights to your heart's content.

6. If you frequent the Molecular Bar during your voyage, the mixologists may offer to make you special, "off-menu" drinks. If this happens, DO NOT pass up the opportunity! On my 40th birthday the mixologist made a special drink for me that's one of the best things to ever pass over this set of lips.

7. The best currency on these ships isn't American, it's in the form of prepaid international phone cards. Do yourself a favor and spend $50-$100 (or whatever) on a pack of them at Costco or Sam's Club. Dole them out as a reward for good service or to ensure good service. You have no idea how much this means to these people!

OK, so these aren't necessarily secrets but they were things that made our cruise more enjoyable. Again, just ask and you may be pleasantly surprised at what you receive.

Is the following about the Riedel comparative Wine Crystal Workshop offered as a beverage package? It is $82pp and doesn't indicate when this is offered?

4. The wine tastings and Reidel glass tasting experiences are worth every penny. Again, if you like wine you owe it to yourself to go. Very reasonably priced and your sommelier can help with additional samples of wine you like. Just ask.

We just returned from a much-too-short one week cruise to Alaska on Infinity with our two daughters. We booked a Royal Suite for us, and the adjoining Concierge for the girls.

Because of the layout of the ship and the large verandas for the Suites, the adjoining Concierge class cabins also have a much bigger veranda than the normal CC cabins. They're toward the back of the ship. They're usually quieter because there is less traffic in the halls due to fewer cabins (since the bigger suites take up more space.)

Our butler was great, and didn't discriminate against our "lower class" girls when it came to tea time or even ordering breakfast in the room.

• 4 weeks later...
Our family has 2 adjoining aqua class cabins on the Silhouette. Are the cabin stewards able to open the balcony partitions?

Unfortunately, at least on Infinity, there was no way to remove the barrier between the two balconies. We asked, and we examined the closures, and it was just impossible.

Unfortunately, at least on Infinity, there was no way to remove the barrier between the two balconies. We asked, and we examined the closures, and it was just impossible.

They are not removable on the "M" class ships, except a few suites. But, they are removable on the "S" class.

Our family has 2 adjoining aqua class cabins on the Silhouette. Are the cabin stewards able to open the balcony partitions?

They are not removable on the "M" class ships, except a few suites. But, they are removable on the "S" class.

Yes!

Mike

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere I read that people bring gift cards to "gift" for services the porter or servers and I thought they said they brought phone cards. Now that cell phones are everywhere, do people still use those long distance phone cards anywhere? I thought it was a great idea since usually the staff is from all over the world sending every penny home but now I'm wondering if there is a better gift card to gift?

Somewhere I read that people bring gift cards to "gift" for services the porter or servers and I thought they said they brought phone cards. Now that cell phones are everywhere, do people still use those long distance phone cards anywhere? I thought it was a great idea since usually the staff is from all over the world sending every penny home but now I'm wondering if there is a better gift card to gift?

YES - the green ones with the Presidents' pictures on them :D ;) :D

Phone cards are not a good idea because any crew members who want them can buy them at a discount, so if you give them the cash instead of a phone card, they can buy themselves more time for the same amount of money.

Besides, not all phone cards will work for all locations and these days many have no use for phone cards at all.

YES - the green ones with the Presidents' pictures on them :D ;) :D
Definitely the best kind to give. :)

I'm in my first suite for my next cruise an have a butler. Will he bring us cheese instead of canapes?

Ask nicely and you will be amazed at how hard they try to accomodate you. Tip well for good service. My first suite cruise experience was amazing. Our butler was wonderful, warm, funny, good with our children and couldn't do enough for us. Just ask for what you want and know what you are entitled to with the suite (like cappucino and full room service) :D

Archived