Dinner Table

We have only once on our second cruise they just thought they were above anyone else and dont think they could handle us being a gay couple so we eat in chops and portofinos for the next 11 nights which was nice, every other time though we have had fantastic tables always asked for a table of eight its one of the things we look forward to on a cruise meeting new people.

And if you dont like your table ask to be seated somewhere else the next night

Yes....on our Alaska cruise with traditional dining. There were two older ladies sailing together and they would always show up for dinner late and totally wasted drunk - I mean absolutely hammered. They were very loud and obnoxious, and just generally disrupted the dining experience every evening.

I think like all walks of life we have had dinner mates that were very enjoyable and those less likeable. With the exception of one cruise we have been very fotunate and enjoyed our dinner companions. We always ask for a large table and that generally insures that we get a variety of personalities. When we have not enjoyed our companions it was at a table for 6.

As others have said you can always request a change if you are not happy.

Enjoy your cruise.

Not his fault, he was very pleasant and nice when we could hear him, but we were seated with a 20's deaf man with cochlear implants. He just asked that we speak loudly , which we did, but since he could not hear very well he could not tell how loud his surroundings were and would whisper the entire dinner, so we could never hear what he was saying in reply, and we felt awkward telling him we could not hear what he was saying so we just leaned in as far as we could and tried to make out what he was saying. Not an unpleasant experience per say, like I said he was very nice, just made for an awkward dinner especially since it was just my husband and I and him.

Our first cruise was a jumble of couples. It was a table for 10 with a newlywed couple, both 18 and from a SMALL town who didn't end up showing up after the first night, a couple in their mid-40s who got married late (3-4 years prior), another newlywed couple in their mid 20s (probably had the most in common with them and they were super nice), a lawyer and his wife (mid-30s probably) who was extremely obnoxious, and us (early 30s and married for 10 years). Everyone got along fine, we just didn't have much to talk about because we were so different.

Last month, we had a table for 8. 4 people never showed up. One single guy was there for the first night. Second night he showed up eleven sheets to the wind. After that, he just stopped coming. The other single guy showed up for nights 2-7, but habitually late. Once he figured out we weren't obnoxious Americans (he was British living in Spain), he let his guard down and was rather pleasant, but again, not much to talk about. He wanted to discuss politics and other controversial subjects, not my "cup of tea".

Next year, we'll be going with my parents and my in-laws so we'll make up our own table for 8.

I like meeting other people, and my in-laws have met friends they still hang out with at the dining table, but we haven't been that lucky.

We always have our family with us these days, so that takes care of that problem, there are six of us. ;) Plus my mom usually is along to help with the kids, so we always get our own table. No room for anyone else, LOL!

But before kids, we sat with some nice couples, I can't remember having a bad time with anyone.

On my second Carnival cruise we were at a big table and it was just me, DW and another couple. We chatted a little but for the most part they sat on their end of the table and we sat on the other side. For some reason we just didn't seem to hit it off with them.

Besides that we have always had wonderful table mates, many of whom we still keep in contact with.

When we first started cruising on Royal Caribbean, I wanted to get a table for two but my wife insisted on a big table. I have to say, we would have missed out on a lot of fun had I gotten my way.

Our first TA we were seated at a table for 10 and the other eight were all traveling together (lifelong friends) and convered in Spanish amongst themselves, They spoke English great and we did talk with them some and they were really nice young people with a darling little girl - but it was still awkward. In the end we felt it was really worth staying at that table and we learned a lot about Cuban refugees but at first it was odd.

Next cruise we are MTD and asking for table for two - EXCEPT when we may want to go with others from our huge Roll Call who are also doing MTD and request a larger table.

My thought on the bad dinner table mates is if it is not good the first night but not horrible I wonder how many people bail only after the second or later night. I think easier to switch right away but some may want to give it a chance and if then wanting to switch worry so much that it looks rude they end up not.

We have always had an interesting time sitting with large groups of people at dinner. Never a bad time, but our last cruise was a little different. We were seated at a table for 8 and one couple was from Austria. There was a slight language barrier and they were very reserved/quiet the first night. The remaining two couples were American - Upper Class, lots of money. My husband and I are just the average middle-income Joe. After the first night, the Austrians warmed up to us and came out of their shell; we had a great time with them. The remaining two couples turned out to be rich snobs. The wives didn't work, never had to, and they both had children in exclusive private schools which dominated the table conversation. I suppose they were grateful for each other, so they could look down on the rest of the world together. One of the men actually made fun of my wine choice because it didn't go with my dinner selection. BTW, this was on Celebrity. It was fine, not a big deal... just noteworthy since I saw this discussion tag line.

Never had a bad dinner table, and now we have a 4 year old its going to be even better. I love big tables of 10 you meet so many people, we still keep in touch with people we met years ago on our table,and they arent in Australia either.

During my Majesty cruise, I was seated with a couple on their 10th anniversary and a mother/daughter pair. It was so awkward and the wife was so controlling. Since I was traveling solo, I just didn't go back.

On our last cruise on the Oasis when we boarded the first day the put my family in the section with all Spanish speaking people. Not speaking Spanish we asked to move and we found we were with one of the nicest families from Liverpool, UK. Great conversation and we have stayed in touch with them ever since.

On our last cruise, a few months ago, we requested a table for 2, and were very surprised the first evening in the dining room when we were shown to a table for 8. We were even more surprised when the other 6 -- a Chinese family -- came in. There was a mom & a dad, two small daughters (age 4 & 2) and the grandparents.

The mom & dad and the two daughters lived in the U.S. -- the dad was an engineer and he spoke very good English, and the mom spoke pretty good English, but she was usually pretty occupied with the kids. The grandparents were visiting from China and spoke no English at all.

After our first dinner together, my husband wanted to switch tables, or see if we could get a table for 2, but I prevailed on him to stay with the Chinese family. We ended up having a wonderful time with them during the 7-night cruise. I learned a few words of Chinese, we learned a lot about life in China, and since they were on their first cruise ever, we were able to help them figure out things like tipping, etc. They had signed up for excursions in every port we stopped at, and they were very enthusiastic about everything they did. It turned out to be lots of fun.

One thing that amazed me was the sophisticated palates of the two little girls. The parents didn't want to order the kids' meals from the regular kids' menus -- instead, the litte ones chowed down on escargots, lobster bisque, vegetables ... It was really interesting to watch them eat.

Nope...maybe we've been lucky, or maybe we just can "get along" with almost anyone...so far, all of our tablemates have been nice, and fun!

Give folks a chance! You don't have to agree with everything they think or say...but do realize that everyone on the ship is there for a good time....cut some folks a bit of slack!

If you find that you don't "get along" with a lot of people, maybe it's YOU, and not them!

Only once and it was (fortunately) a 5 day to Bermuda a couple of years ago, so a short cruise. They were a bit rude and talked about their political leanings making sure we knew they wouldn't hear of anything but praise for their particular favorite politician. Not that we had any plans to even discuss politics, but they were condescending and elitist. If they want to talk politics, they have to be willing to let others talk about theirs too. In the other 10 out of 11 cruises we have had nothing but wonderful tablemates. We keep in touch with several and have cruised again with one couple. They recently invited us to cruise with them again in 2013, but I don't think we'll be able to go on that trip.

I don't hear well. If I'm at a big table, there is no way I can carry on a conversation with anyone more than 2 seats away.

My wife and I always get a table for 2 unless we are cruising with another couple we know.

I always ask for a table for 2 and I never get what I ask for. I always have to go to the MDR and talk to the headwaiter and I'm always told nothing can be done.

Then I tell them about my hearing, and a table for 2 always becomes available.

We always have lunch and breakfast in the MDR with whoever is seated with us at whatever size table they seat us. I always have to go through the explanation. It works out but I’d rather have a table for two

On the very first night on our very first cruise we sat at a table of 8. All were nice except one woman. She never stopped talking the entire dinner. She talked all about herself, no one else could get a word in. I felt sorry for her husband. Thank goodness we had anytime dining and never ate with her again. Every meal since that one, on both cruises has been pleasant. We dined with lots of interesting people.

Has anyone ever been seated with somebody in the main dining room that they didn't like or get along with? Been lucky so far, but concerned that it could happen.......

We have been really lucky...

On most of the cruises I am amazed how well we all got along

I think like all walks of life we have had dinner mates that were very enjoyable and those less likeable. With the exception of one cruise we have been very fotunate and enjoyed our dinner companions. We always ask for a large table and that generally insures that we get a variety of personalities. When we have not enjoyed our companions it was at a table for 6.

As others have said you can always request a change if you are not happy.

Enjoy your cruise.

As you, we've only experience unpleasant dinner companions on one cruise, and since then always ask for a large table for dinner.

never any "major" problems....One cruise...table for 8, only 4 of us all week, on the last evening...the other couple (who we have very pleasant chats with all week) let loose a tirade towards us. I tend to be nice, but when someone takes a shot, I tend to unload all barrels...they shut up, balance of meal was quiet and serene.

Other time, table of 8....one couple and their two kids were at the table...he was a bully, the first two evenings, towards his kids...two gentlemen at the table did not confront him in front of his kids....but "spoke" with him on the third evening as we were all departing the dining room....he kinda got the point and made an effort to actually be nice! I sincerely believe he thought he had to "control" this kids so as not to offend the rest of us.

But...with 70+ cruises...we have met twenty times more interesting people than negative folks...still ask for the big tables.

We always ask for a large table, but Royal Caribbean rarely puts more than one other couple at the table and this can be awkward if you don't have much in common. Our most recent Celebrity cruise was the same too. We only asked to move once, on our first cruise, because no one at the table spoke English.

Archived