Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

What's funny is that just weeks before a cruise we had booked around final payment time' date=' I was looking at the receipt and saw that we were charged for the Princess transfer. Not only did I not ask for the transfer or was not asked if we wanted to buy the transfer, but we did not NEED a transfer as we lived within driving distance of the port. And the booking agent knew it as we even talked about how cool it was that we were only 50 miles away from the port (and the booking agent knew where my community is located as it's not that far from Princess HQs).

I had to call Princess and get it cancelled and the charge refunded. I asked why was this added to our bill and the person said it's automatic. Believe me, I mentioned this on the Princess FB page and said it's ridiculous.[/quote']

Maybe the agent thought you might want to fly from Van Nuys or Burbank to LAX then take the transfer to the ship instead of parking at the port.:rolleyes::D

If the flight is delayed (and we all know that can happen), or there's a problem with luggage, that doesn't sound like plenty of time at all!

Too late to edit my post, but I meant to add:

We also booked a flight to arrive on the morning of our cruise. Due to problems at the airport, about 30 Princess passengers missed that flight (we didn't know each other beforehand, just coincidence!).

We were able to get on the next flight with another carrier but we got the last two seats so the others must've had to go on later flights. We rang Princess to advise them of our new flight time - then had to ring them again, twice, as our take-off was delayed.

When we arrived we were very glad to see the Princess staffer waiting for us. We still had some time to spare but it was a load off our minds to feel we were already "on board", as it were.

Only two other passengers made it - all the others had to make their own way to the next port and join the cruise there.

Hi All

Princess Transfers,

Once in UK our flight time was moved from early in the morning to very very early in the morning, result was we could not fly down same day, Princess rebooked flights, when we got to the airport a taxi to take us to the hotel in the morning another taxi to take us back to the airport all costs met by Princess,

those folks who had flights only had to find there own accommodation and transport,

then another flight was delayed we were last flight into airport there

was Princess rep waiting for us, and a Greyhound bus all to ourselves,

could on and on, been last to board ship but again Princess transfer so knew ship would wait,

yours Shogun

when it works for us...we did the Princess tour with transfer to the airport in Barcelona..we also did the tour with transport to airport built in to kill time in Ft. Lauderdale due to a late flight...

We will do for Heathrow to Southampton soon...and at the end of our cruise do a tour with airport drop off.....

We did a transfer from San Francisco airport last year...and we flew in the night before...stayed at a hotel local to the airport and went back to the airport to meet the shuttle....so flying in the day before does not mean the shuttle is not an option...

:)

Bernadette

We will do for Heathrow to Southampton soon

Just check to make sure the transfer actually picks up at Heathrow.

On another thread, I was surprised to find that someone who'd booked the Princess transfer had to make their own way to Victoria Coach Station to get their transfer. That's about 20 miles in the wrong direction!

If there isn't a direct Heathrow to Southampton transfer then a good alternative is the National Express Coach which picks up at Heathrow and goes straight to the coach station at So'ton which is a short cab ride to the cruise terminal.

TRANSFER: LHR/LGW AIRPORT TO SHIP

Motorcoach transfer from London Gatwick (LGW) or London Heathrow (LHR) International airports to the ship, berthed in Southampton. Transfer is valid on embarkation day only. **Unused transfers are non-refundable** Travel time from Gatwick to ship is 2.5 hours Travel time from Heathrow to ship is 2 hours. Passengers making own air arrangements should plan for a flight arrival time no later than: LGW - 5.5 Hours (From ship's ETD) LHR - 5 Hours (From ship's ETD)

Upon arrival at London Gatwick (LGW) or London Heathrow (LHR) Airports, please collect your luggage and clear Customs. Princess Representatives will meet you as you exit Customs in the arrivals hall. Please ensure all your luggage are clearly tagged with your name and stateroom number. If you will be in Heathrow prior to embarkation day and are planning to return to LHR airport for your transfer, please meet at Terminal 3 International arrivals hall between 930 am to 10 am. If you will be in Gatwick prior to embarkation day and are planning to return to LGW airport for your transfer, please contact Intercruises at +44(0)207 467 7690 to confirm your transfer. Meeting location at LGW airport will be at North Terminal, Information Desk between 930 am to 10 am *If you encounter unforeseen flight or weather-related delays on sailing day, please contact Princess at 1-800-545-0008 or 1-661-753-0000(outside US/Canada) M-F 530am-8pm PST/Sat-Sun 5am-5pm PST with your new flight schedule.

Took transfer from Houston to port - $24 - a cab was $100 - had to wait two hours but it was wait two hours in the airport or port so what is the difference - at least at the airport I had wifi - each situation is unique...

I can see both sides of the argument.

We booked RCCL transfers for our Alaska cruise and there was a long wait and line for the bus for a short trip. We ended taking a cab back to the airport after the cruise was done which was WAY faster and cheaper.

But we chose to buy the Princess transfer for our upcoming British Isles cruise. Sure, we get in at 8am and will probably have to wait till 9:30am for the first bus out. But whoa nelly I do not trust myself to drive on the left hand side all the way down to Southampton. And the private car fares were more expensive than the cruise line transfers. And taking the Tube and rail was an option but not thrilling with luggage.

So I suppose it depends on your airport and departure port. Sometimes it's a ripoff, and sometimes it pays for the peace of mind. :rolleyes:

*Edit* Just re-read the OP's post and saw that the trip back was deemed too early and that refund was denied. I will admit, that's pretty crappy on Princess' part. :(

You may not have to wait too long for your transfer, as it can take an hour or so to get through customs and immigration if it's busy.

Just got off the Grand in San Fran 2 days ago. We took the Princess transfer to and from SFO. We could have gotten on the first bus from the airport and waited n the cruise terminal, but my Mom needed to use the bathroom and her transport chair took awhile to get brought up. The rep did a great job with the bus driver. He didn't want to take anymore bags on his bus, but we got ours and the chair on. There were about 10-15 open seats. We came in on United, so we were last pick-up.Transfer back was no problem.

We used the transfers from IAH to bay port, they were ALOT cheaper than anything else.

In FLL we used the transfers, and would not do so again. Would have been cheaper and little more convenient to take taxi.

Conveniently, Princess Cruises was unable to allow me to give my survey at the end of this disturbing phone conversation.

Sorry to learn of your anguish. I do not doubt your experience, so sorry that occurred. All I can attest to is that we only use three lines, Princess (going on 300 days of sailing with Princess), Regent and HAL and we have always used their transfers. Guess we have been very fortunate over our 26 years on the high seas, since we never experienced a transfer problem. But we certainly have witnessed others who were in high states of anxiety at the airport, ultimately cruising on the same ship we were about to, who did not have cruise line transfers but were engaged in terrible stressful baggage and other unintended developments. Every time, our agent, though not required, took the time to bend over backward to help them out of their unintended dilemma.

Sorry to learn of your anguish. I do not doubt your experience, so sorry that occurred. All I can attest to is that we only use three lines, Princess (going on 300 days of sailing with Princess), Regent and HAL and we have always used their transfers. Guess we have been very fortunate over our 26 years on the high seas, since we never experienced a transfer problem. But we certainly have witnessed others who were in high states of anxiety at the airport, ultimately cruising on the same ship we were about to, who did not have cruise line transfers but were engaged in terrible stressful baggage and other unintended developments. Every time, our agent, though not required, took the time to bend over backward to help them out of their unintended dilemma.

This thread is 4 years old.

Transfers are not all bad if you use them wisely.

For example last December we flew into SFO for a cruise starting a week later in San Pedro and drove down the PCH arriving in the LA area the afternoon before the cruise.

We took a LAX hotel and transfer package from Princess and, when one took account of the cost of getting from a rental car drop off to port on morning of cruise, it was a real no brainer.

Taking the hotel / transfer package enabled us to drop the car off the day before the cruise, at LAX, thereby saving one day car rental.

Adding this to the savings on getting from the car drop off to the ship, meant that effective cost of the hotel was far better than I could have obtained myself and what is more our bags were collected from our hotel room at 8am in the morning and were next seen in our cabin on board the ship.

We have used Princess transfers a few times, and they have been very convenient, except for one. We booked an overnight hotel/transfer package at LAX for our Panama Canal cruise from San Pedro. We had to go to a desk in the hotel lobby early in the morning for our bus assignment and were required to put our luggage out at 8am and vacate the room by noon. We sat in the lobby until 3:30pm for our transfer. We arrived at San Pedro just in time for muster. Only good part of this is that we met a very nice couple with whom we are still in contact (2009) and enjoyed their company throughout the cruise.

I still think I like the convenience of a cruise line transfer, if the port is a distance from the airport.

I always wonder about ancient threads that are revived. :)

I see on our itinerary that we have a Princess Transfer when we dock in Vancouver in a few weeks. Hmmm... We aren't flying out of Vancouver so have no need of the transfer. I guess it's part of the connoisseur cruise tour package so I sincerely doubt I can get any kind of a discount for not using the transfer. Poop. It's probably not inexpensive and we have absolutely no use for it.

We have found that seldom is a direct airport to ship transfer quicker, easier and cheaper then doing it ourselves. A cruise transfer may seem to be easier as in no planning required but not cheaper or quicker or it may be easier possibly cheaper but is likely not quicker. If it is cheaper it is likely not the easiest or quickest, how much tougher is it to take a bus, train, limo or taxi?

I find paying a premium to wait around and to then be herded and held a problem but others obviously don't as there is a feeling of safety in numbers.

We don't do ships tours for the same reason but we have used ship transfers at the end of a cruise when bundled with a tour to get to the airport for a late flight. Say from Valparaiso to Santiago Chile a 2 hour or so drive that can be turned into a 8 hour tour with a lunch stop and a shorter wait at the airport.

We tend to fly in at least a day early or even more if to an interesting city, and how challenging is it to catch a cab to a hotel from an airport? The same applies if we disembark at an interesting port we are in no rush to the airport we will plan a few days stay.

We travel light often with just carry on and and on trips of up to three months we have managed with a 22 inch bag each but I can appreciate the need and the convenience for those with mobility issues or who travel luggage heavy.

We have witnessed many couples struggle with more luggage then can be fitted in a standard cab in some countries.

We manage our travel dollars and prefer to spend them on extending our travels I just fail to see standard ships transfers as good value.

I agree with you there are a lot in transit who stress out, I just plan to avoid this ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQKh3JbEus and if I cannot I adjust my sails.

Cheers

This thread is 4 years old.

True, the thread was started four years ago but there has been 65 posts in the last 16 months and 29 in the last two days.

There is no reason to believe most of the posts older than these aren't still germane to the transfer subject as well.

For someone interested in the pros and cons of transfers this is an excellent thread to benefit from other's pertinent experience, no advantage in starting a new one.

Honestly, it depends...my adult daughter has a mobility issue. That means I intentionally travel light as I'll need to assist with her luggage as well depending on the care we receive from the airport personnel, transportation driver, porters, etc. Since we need a suitcase for her medical stuff, I TRY to get it down to 2 carry ons, 1 suitcase, and her rollator or wheelchair.

The Princess people are great in assisting with luggage...and the concept that we will be dropped as close as reasonably possible is great. Often the private transportation is required to drop us across a street or parking lot. While that wasn't a big deal before her illness, it is now.

True, the thread was started four years ago but there has been 65 posts in the last 16 months and 29 in the last two days.

There is no reason to believe most of the posts older than these aren't still germane to the transfer subject as well.

For someone interested in the pros and cons of transfers this is an excellent thread to benefit from other's pertinent experience, no advantage in starting a new one.

Exactly! The same questions and issues can come up year after year and there's no reason for people to get bent out of shape when someone revives an old thread. Helps the new people too.

Honestly' date=' it depends...my adult daughter has a mobility issue. That means I intentionally travel light as I'll need to assist with her luggage as well depending on the care we receive from the airport personnel, transportation driver, porters, etc. Since we need a suitcase for her medical stuff, I TRY to get it down to 2 carry ons, 1 suitcase, and her rollator or wheelchair.

The Princess people are great in assisting with luggage...and the concept that we will be dropped as close as reasonably possible is great. Often the private transportation is required to drop us across a street or parking lot. While that wasn't a big deal before her illness, it is now.[/quote']

I agree as I said in a case like yours traveling with a mobility issue it is value added and eases the whole travel experience. We all have a personal comfort level and it is not worth pushing past it to save a few dollars or a few hours of time.

When I worked we would fly in the same day and try to get out on the earliest flight home but the cost was a lot of stress and worry for my wife which negated the point of the holiday. For me it was not about the cost I just had no time.

So we started flying in the night before and red eye flights home just to lighten her worries, she did not care if the ship would wait she would worry about missing a flight at that moment or would the cab make it to the airport in time.

We did an Azamara cruise that included air, transfers and such and we were delayed porting in Athens due to high seas. I realized we would miss the flight home but even on the bus staff assured the pax that it would be dealt with.

As be disembarked the bus I told my wife to get back from the crowd as soon as we got off. When the staff announced outside the airport the flight had been missed all hell broke loose even though Azamara were taking care of hotel accommodations, flight, arrangements and meals.

I asked a rep how to catch the bus downtown and we fled the scene, seven hours later when we returned back to check into the hotel people where still arguing.

It can be like insurance, a waste until you need it.

I always wonder about ancient threads that are revived. :)

I see on our itinerary that we have a Princess Transfer when we dock in Vancouver in a few weeks. Hmmm... We aren't flying out of Vancouver so have no need of the transfer. I guess it's part of the connoisseur cruise tour package so I sincerely doubt I can get any kind of a discount for not using the transfer. Poop. It's probably not inexpensive and we have absolutely no use for it.

I've learned through my travel experience to not let anyone like Princess or Carnival control me and my luggage. Once you've paid for it and get on the big bus, you no longer have control, they do. If you paid for a transfer you don't need, I'd call Princess or your TA and get your money back.

We purchased Princess Transfers at a cost of $48 each. I just found out that we will have to wait at the airport for over 2 1/2 hours for them to shuttle us to the ship and on the return transfer, they said our flight was too early so they couldnt accomodate us. (FYI - the flight no where near too early).

The transfers are NON-REFUNDABLE so now we are left with a very long wait for a ride to the ship and even worse having to pay for a cab on the transfer out.

Princess Cruises did not notify us that our flight home was "too early" and the only way I found this out is because I called them to find out where to print the transfers. They said they sent us an e-mail notifying us. I can assure you, they did not do this. I read every Princess e-mail.

I requested to be reinbursed via on board credit and was refused. Conveniently, Princess Cruises was unable to allow me to give my survey at the end of this disturbing phone conversation.

I find you need to have a flight after 12noon. If flying out of Ft Lauderdale, we'll just hire a cab for the incredibly far trip of about 2 miles to the airport from Port Everglades.

I don't know what the policy was four years ago, but last week I just helped my aunt cancel her transfers for her Sept. 2016 Panama cruise. She decided to spend the night in Fort Lauderdale, so she didn't need the over-priced transfers. Princess gave her a full refund.

Like most things, Princess transfers have their use.

There are ports that they make sense to use them in (IAH) and ports that it makes no sense to use them in (FLL). Then there are reasons they are good - like some mentioned above and also when cruising solo and it's more cost-effective to do cruiseline transfers - and reasons they are bad - like waiting for hours in YVR for the transfer bus to get it's last two people onboard.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that all transfers are bad.