Poll - Rollcall attendance?

OceanDreaming2

Do you let fellow cruisers know if your plans change?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let fellow cruisers know if your plans change?

• Yes - it's only common courtesy
    • No -
    • Who cares - I don't know them and they don't know me

I've never had to do this, but I most certainly would let the roll call know if I had agreed to attend a meet and greet or any other roll call function.

Someone has taken the time to volunarily organize these events and IMO that is just common courtesy. Some organizers put a great deal of effort and work when they take on this task. The sweet young girl from our cruise in 2009. Brought beads from home for everyone, made cute little name tags for all to wear. Put together some party type games (I'm not into that type of thing, but I appreciated her effort).

If we would cancel the cruise, I would let the rollcall know. On one cruise, the morning of the M&G I was very seasick and still went just to meet everyone since there is no "seasick" raindate.

Why hide the results of this poll? I wouldn't have bothered voting if I knew the results do not show......

I think you need to make a distinction between a "Roll Call" and a "Meet & Greet."

A Roll Call is simple a thread on CC for people on that cruise to communicate.

The Meet & Greet is a formal event, with a head-count and list of attendees for NCL.

Certainly, one should inform the organizer if you had committed to the M&G, and then backed out.

Often, Roll Call threads can be tedious and hard to follow, so I am sure some people neglect posting continuity and feel no affiliation there.

I think you need to make a distinction between a "Roll Call" and a "Meet & Greet."

A Roll Call is simple a thread on CC for people on that cruise to communicate.

The Meet & Greet is a formal event, with a head-count and list of attendees for NCL.

Certainly, one should inform the organizer if you had committed to the M&G, and then backed out.

Often, Roll Call threads can be tedious and hard to follow, so I am sure some people neglect posting continuity and feel no affiliation there.

This is very true.

I was once a participant in a Roll call where everyone on the Roll call was automatically added to the M&G. The M&G was planned for early one morning. I suspect that many did not show. We certainly never planned on attending but felt no obligation to provide any notice because we never asked to be added to the list.

i'd like to say we would notify someone, but on our Epic cruise we got so caught up in other things that we forgot all about it

Same thing here Mike...Said I would probably attend. Enjoying a drink at Posh that morning, looked at my watch and uh oh......12:15...missed it. This year I am committed and will make sure I attend. I think..I hope..I mean I'll really try...

I don't think everyone posting on the roll call "needs to" or probably wants to go to the Meet and Greet but I think IF you say you are going to the M & G - you should try to let the organizer know if you are not attending after all.

Why - because NCL usually provides light refreshments and a few ship's officers to speak at the M & G and the organizer would feel pretty embarassed (after say letting NCL know that 40 people were going to be there and then no-one showed up). I have organized one M&G and I must admit I felt relieved that most people who said they would be there did indeed turn up.

Why are the results hidden?:confused:

THE RESULTS ARE HIDDEN is clearly stated when I "View Poll Results" ... no % are listed. It also notes that there have been 52 voters and that I've already voted.

Maybe it's just a passing thing and will be back to normal later. :confused:

This just happen to us. We had the Epic booked and was on our roll call and also their roll call on facebook (a special page they have going for their roll call only). They are a TERRIFIC bunch of people and we talk nightly. What a hoot! We've all gotten to know each other quite good and I would consider a lot of them "friends".

We changed our booking to the Dawn and of course I informed them. (I actually informed them prior to changing while they were supportive, they didn't want me to leave). However, they ask me to stay as part of their "group" on facebook. I <3 them. :D

It's just courtesy IMO.

Now if you are referring to the meet and greet. That's a different story. If it's still before the sailing and you know you are not going to show, then yes, I think you should try to inform someone (the group). If you have already boarded the ship, well, there's really no way to let anyone know. This also happened on my last roll call on the Pearl. 1 hour prior to the M&G both my girls were sick with the 3 year old vomiting. So, obviously I missed our M&G while she recooperated. Things like that can't be helped. :(

For the roll call I would just post one more time telling everyone to enjoy their cruise. As for the meet and greet that is slightly different. Many people on our last cruise were very upfront when participating in the roll call saying they weren't interested in attending the meet and greet. In my opinion however if you do say you are going to go you should at least show up for a few minutes (unless you are sick).

On my first cruise I organized the M&G and there were over 70 people who said they would come and 12 actually showed up. I understand that things come up but when NCL goes to the bother of setting things up and having the crew and many times the captain there I believe the polite thing to do is go if you said you would.

If you aren't interested say that up front. I certainly wouldn't question someone who was on the roll call but either didn't respond to queries on counts for the M&G or flat out said they weren't interested.

my very first cruise 3 years ago on the Med nearly everyone turned up to the meet and greet who said they were going to with the exception of the person who initiated the roll call-this was commented on by several people!

there will always be people who forget or are ill but yes if you can it is courtesy to inform that you wont be attending if you went to the trouble of adding your name to the meet and greet list.

I speak from personal experience as I organised a meet and greet last year and was asked for numbers for catering purposes.It was embarrassing that only a third of those expected turned up-a lot of the refreshments went to waste and when the crew members out numbered the passengers I felt personally responsible!

As I posted earlier, I didn't quite set up the poll correctly. I'm trying to do a cut and paste of the results thus far, maybe the mods can click the right boxes on the original post?

View Poll Results: Do you let fellow cruisers know if your plans change? This poll will close on May 1st, 2012 at 08:25 AM

The results are hidden for everyone but Administrators, Moderators and thread starter.

Yes - it's only common courtesy clear.gif61 88.41%

No - clear.gif3 34.41%

Who cares - I don't know them and they don't know me 5 57.35%

Voters: 69. You have already voted on this poll

As I posted earlier, I didn't quite set up the poll correctly. I'm trying to do a cut and paste of the results thus far, maybe the mods can click the right boxes on the original post?

View Poll Results: Do you let fellow cruisers know if your plans change? This poll will close on May 1st, 2012 at 08:25 AM

The results are hidden for everyone but Administrators, Moderators and thread starter.

Yes - it's only common courtesy clear.gif61 88.41%

No - clear.gif3 34.41%

Who cares - I don't know them and they don't know me 5 57.35%

Voters: 69. You have already voted on this poll

Thank you for posting the results thus far.

It's very uplifting to see that unless someone falls sick or forgets (which we all forget things now and then). That 61 percent would consider the fact that someone put time and effort into preparing for a certain number of people at the meet and greet.

When I set up a m&g, I always ask those on the roll call to confirm if they intend on coming and those that simply might attend. Once I have the time and place, I attempt to get a final confirmation # to send into NCL. We still seem to come out short at the m&g, but not tremendously so.

Archived