Constant Complaining - Why?

sail7seas

You can always use my favorite line: "Obviously you confuse me with someone who gives a hoot." OK - I cleaned it up by using the word "hoot".

One of my SIL's favorites. She doesn't say "hoot," either.

I've never had it happen, but I guess I'd do a version of that--"I know I post about HAL a lot, but I don't work for them and I can't help. But maybe the front desk could help." Although, as Sail said, that suggestion didn't help.

:D They said they 'didn't want to be complainers". :D :eek:

I'm sorry you had to deal with such whiners, but this last statement is the perfect punchline for your story. All it needs is a classic sound effect:

http://instantrimshot.com/

They're probably reading this now,if they recognize you.

Hey you!!!!!!!! if you're reading this, we don't want to hear your boring drivel and complaints,we're on vacation go bore someone else!

I'd be inclined to tell them just that in person, on the ship. It doesn't matter if you offend them - all you need to do is keep them away from you - after all, you will probably never see them again after the cruise.

What a annoyance on your cruise Sails. Although we have run into our share of complainers the worst was a lady who followed us around for 2 weeks trying to get on some private tours our roll call had arranged. Every tour was full but she just couldn't seem to understand. Very wearing.

Glad to hear you had your usual good time on the Maasdam.

Why in the world would someone who 'recognizes' a Cruise Critic poster while on a ship who is a frequent cruiser immediately begin to recite every complaint they have and everything they think should be improved?

Yes, happened to us.

We met 'a few people' who recognized us as frequent HAL cruisers and suddenly turned me to the defensive to be answerable in some way for every little thing they didn't like.

We saw them at least daily and without exception, each time we saw them, I got blasted with their latest round of complaints.

I don't work for HAL, never did and highly unlikely every will.....

We were enjoying our cruise and I got to dread running into them.

Has that happened to you if you are recognized as a CC poster by some odd chance?

Not nice and certainly unpleasant. IMO

A reason to avoid Meet and Greets.......... this is not the first time it has happened to me.

How did the recognize you as a CC poster?

Never mind: M&G

Sail, I have to admit it has happened to me. Never by anyone who is a frequent person on the boards. They have all basically been lurkers.

The last time it happened I just said "Oh that is really too bad, I am having a great time and everything is perfect" Then I walk away ;) That has usually stopped it before it gets going.

Sail

If your luck is like mine you and hubby will run into these whiners several times per day no matter where you try and hide. You`ll be looking over your shoulder for the duration of the cruise.

Yes, the cruisers' dilemma. Do you sign up for the roll call and meet and greet hoping you'll meet interesting people whose company you will enjoy for the duration of the cruise, or do you not do so for fear that you will meet someone unpleasant that you will be trying to avoid until you disembark, then they spot you in the airport as you wait to fly home?

At the Mariners' lunch on our last cruise, DW leaned over and whispered in my ear about the woman that was seated on my other side, "Pour your water in her glass. Hers is apparently half empty." ;) It reminded us how blessed we have been to have had pleasant and enjoyable tablemates for dinner on all of our cruises.

Last year on our TA from Venice, I posted a CC door sign. Towards the end of the trip, I received a note under the door asking to meet with me to discuss "problems". I guess they thought I was some kind of special critic. I showed it to some of my friends from the M&G and we all agreed that it was funny.

I never contacted this person. I've better things to do on my vacation.:D

On my recent trip on the W-dam, I had a similar sign but never posted it on the door. Didn't want to invite the wrong types.:eek:

I just can't imagine letting someone else and their attitude have a continuing negative effect on my vacation. After one unpleasant encounter I would just explain to them that I'm not responsible for their issues and do not want to hear about them. That may sound rude but if these people are not family or close friends I would not feel any compulsion to tolerate their behavior. People cannot affect your life unless you allow them to.

We have been fortunate to meet so many interesting, fun people that I would never consider passing up the opportunity to meet new people. But I have also learned that there is a very small minority of people that are unpleasant and are not worth a second thought.

How did the recognize you as a CC poster?

Never mind: M&G

Has that been established? That wasn't clear to me in the OP. I just don't understand why someone from CC wouldn't know better and why they would bother complaining to someone else on CC:confused:.

My mother used to say: "It takes all kinds to make a world."

I think that holds true with cruise ships, too.

We've met some of the kindest and most interesting people on cruises.

We've also met some incredibly insensitive, self-absorbed individuals on cruises.

It doesn't take long to separate the wheat from the chaff.:):)

Last year on our TA from Venice' date=' I posted a CC door sign. Towards the end of the trip, I received a note under the door asking to meet with me to discuss "problems". I guess they thought I was some kind of special critic. I showed it to some of my friends from the M&G and we all agreed that it was funny.

I never contacted this person. I've better things to do on my vacation.:D

On my recent trip on the W-dam, I had a similar sign but never posted it on the door. Didn't want to invite the wrong types.:eek:[/quote']

Sounds familiar...only with me, this couple saw my CC sign as I was leaving the cabin and told me they had some concerns that should be brought to my attention. I just laughed it off and told them I was off duty for the rest of the cruise:D...with that, I tore down my sign in front of them. That was the last time I will put up a CC sign. The majority of passengers never heard of Cruise Critic.

Why in the world would someone who 'recognizes' a Cruise Critic poster while on a ship who is a frequent cruiser immediately begin to recite every complaint they have and everything they think should be improved?

Yes, happened to us.

We met 'a few people' who recognized us as frequent HAL cruisers and suddenly turned me to the defensive to be answerable in some way for every little thing they didn't like.

We saw them at least daily and without exception, each time we saw them, I got blasted with their latest round of complaints.

Has that happened to you if you are recognized as a CC poster by some odd chance?

A reason to avoid Meet and Greets.......... this is not the first time it has happened to me.

And that experience, Ma'am, now qualifies you for working the Front Office

Yes, happened to us.

Some people like to hear themselves talk. Some people walk through a field of fertiizer and say: "But think of the beautiful flowers that will grow on this field." Others walk through a beautiful field of flowers and complain about the manour used to fertilize the field to bring the bloom.

Yes, the cruisers' dilemma. Do you sign up for the roll call and meet and greet hoping you'll meet interesting people whose company you will enjoy for the duration of the cruise, or do you not do so for fear that you will meet someone unpleasant that you will be trying to avoid until you disembark, then they spot you in the airport as you wait to fly home?

At the Mariners' lunch on our last cruise, DW leaned over and whispered in my ear about the woman that was seated on my other side, "Pour your water in her glass. Hers is apparently half empty." ;) It reminded us how blessed we have been to have had pleasant and enjoyable tablemates for dinner on all of our cruises.

That's a good one! never heard that before! On our last cruise, we sat with an obnoxious cranky couple at breakfast. After we escaped, DH and I agreed that if we'd been stuck with them at dinner, we'd have gone to the maitre d' and begged for a new table assignment! That night, we told our tablemates about our experience and thanked them being such pleasant company.

And that experience, Ma'am, now qualifies you for working the Front Office

That thought did occur to me.

I can't imagine day after day of having to hear complaint after complaint. :eek:

Well, you may have done a service to a future CC cruiser. I imagine those people now recognise themselves from your post, and hopefully will think twice before complaining to a fellow CC'er again.

Hold onto that thought.......... I really like it. :)

Well, you may have done a service to a future CC cruiser. I imagine those people now recognise themselves from your post, and hopefully will think twice before complaining to a fellow CC'er again.

I doubt it. I bet they'll read this and think, gosh that nice woman we talked to had to put up with those awful people!!!!

Archived