Tonight: Why Ships Sink?

richsea

PBS is airing a NOVA documentary tonight exploring why ships sink, which looks interesting. It explores the technical & well as human factors.

Rich:

Thanks, I have it set to record. I noticed in a preview that they are studying the Oceanos. If anyone has seen previous reports of this sinking and the cowardly actions of the crew you will be shocked. Almost all of the ship was evacuated by helicopters with the band doing the coordinating while the CAptain and most of the crew sat on a beach and watched.

I saw the report on Oceanos. I remember wondering how they (capt and crew) could live with themselves after something like that.

And then there was the Concordia, wondered that same thought once again.

Ships sink when they weigh more than the amount of water they displace!

I know thats about as helpful as why do planes crash?

Because they failed to maintain altitude - duh!

If only it were so simple....

Thanks for the heads-up I'll be sure to watch, I just hope I can still walk on my cruise ship this weekend afterwards! :eek:

Rich:

Thanks, I have it set to record. I noticed in a preview that they are studying the Oceanos. If anyone has seen previous reports of this sinking and the cowardly actions of the crew you will be shocked. Almost all of the ship was evacuated by helicopters with the band doing the coordinating while the CAptain and most of the crew sat on a beach and watched.

Is that the Louis cruise line ship that sunk some yrs. ago?

Ships sink when they weigh more than the amount of water they displace!

I know thats about as helpful as why do planes crash?

Because they failed to maintain altitude - duh!

If only it were so simple....

Thanks for the heads-up I'll be sure to watch, I just hope I can still walk on my cruise ship this weekend afterwards! :eek:

According to my son who is a pilot, about 99% of the time the crash is attributed to pilot error. My guess would be it would run about the same on ships.

Captain Yiannis Avranas was accused by the passengers of leaving hundreds behind with no one other than the ship's onboard entertainers to help them evacuate. Avranas claimed that he left the ship first in order to arrange for a rescue effort, and then supervised the rescue effort from a helicopter. Avranas stated, "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay.

From wikipedia -- my kind of captain :eek:

My pleasure --- it's a hell of a story. There is a lot of video of it around. The band member that took control was a hero in every sense of the word.

The hero in that story, Moss Hills was the guy I referred to in my above post who was also on the Achille Lauro when it caught fire and sunk. Talk about bad luck!

Phil

THANKS! Will tune in at 9 pm EDT to see. It will have more on the now famous Costa Concordia. Here's a picture and memory I have of this ship when it was looking very nice sitting next to us in Barcelona. Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,501 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we were getting ready for our Solstice sail-away from Barcelona on June 7, 2011, here’s a picture of our next-door neighbor in their scenic harbor. It’s the Costa Concordia that has become, sadly, one of the most infamous cruise ships in history. You can see the unique shape/design of the W Hotel in the distant background as it overlooks the Barcelona beach area.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

The Achille Lauro also has another dark detail in its history. When it was hijacked by terrorists in 1985 in the Mediterranean, a wheelchair bound passenger, Leon Klinghoffer, was shot, and his body thrown overboard.

The Achille Lauro also has another dark detail in its history. When it was hijacked by terrorists in 1985 in the Mediterranean, a wheelchair bound passenger, Leon Klinghoffer, was shot, and his body thrown overboard.

That was the incident where the Egyptians released the hijackers and they got on a commerical air liner. Ronald Reagan sent the military out of Italy to intercept the plane, forced it to land in Italy and arrested the hijackers.

Mr. and Mrs. Klinghoffer are buried near where I worked in NJ.

That was the incident where the Egyptians released the hijackers and they got on a commerical air liner. Ronald Reagan sent the military out of Italy to intercept the plane, forced it to land in Italy and arrested the hijackers.

Mr. and Mrs. Klinghoffer are buried near where I worked in NJ.

That was great.. but didn't Italians wind up letting them go?

Archived