Whatever happened to a classless ship?

wombie

I cant afford to book suites but am slowly working my way up the C&A ranks to take my seat in the DL. Im only a lowly Platinum at the moment but when I reach that Diamond status, I feel that I have paid my way for such a privelige :D

Trust me-I get what you are doing ;).....but.........

Here lies-with some-and I'm not directing this at you anymore....;)

that you chase something that by the time you get there-it's not what you started out chasing.

I've watched the levels change so much in the short period of time I have been cruising. If it is an actual seat in the DL, it may not be that.

I think the next swing will put a huge distinction between D and D+. I think even with the larger DL's being added-no way, if D+ are possibly invited to the DL only, that both levels of passengers will fit in one lounge. Something tells me the future holds a new enhanced diamond event for all D's and D+ will get the new diamond lounges.

What people forget is it is a marketing strategy to get you to stay loyal. There has to be a fairly big distinction to keep you chasing another level one would think.

I have a question? When the CL was introduced was if for suite guests only? I would hardly call Dimond and Pinicle members, "all these extra people" LOL And I'm just a lowly Gold.

Actually Junior Suites at one time were allowed into the CL. It was written in one brochure and when we got onboard, they said JS were not allowed. Our friends fought and we got keys to the CL. It was so crowded that you could not even get into the room. It may have been a misprint but it was in writting which is why we won the argument even if we could not get our big toe into the room.

After that cruise we turned D and had the priviledge of the CL. It was a nice perk but, again, the numbers got to be too many so they changed the policy.

We are on the verge of becoming D+ so I can definitely see another policy change in the near future. Possibly in the near future the CL will return to Suite passengers only since the newer ships now have dedicated DL.

I agree that giving double points for cruises makes the numbers go up quickly but under the old system, if you took 10 weekend cruises in the least expensive category you made the diamond level. The double points is a way to recognize the $$$ that people spend on the JS and longer cruises. No matter what system they put into place, someone will complain that it is unfair instead of just being thankful for whatever they are getting.

Trust me-I get what you are doing ;).....but.........

Here lies-with some-and I'm not directing this at you anymore....;)

that you chase something that by the time you get there-it's not what you started out chasing.

I've watched the levels change so much in the short period of time I have been cruising. If it is an actual seat in the DL, it may not be that.

I think the next swing will put a huge distinction between D and D+. I think even with the larger DL's being added-no way, if D+ are possibly invited to the DL only, that both levels of passengers will fit in one lounge. Something tells me the future holds a new enhanced diamond event for all D's and D+ will get the new diamond lounges.

What people forget is it is a marketing strategy to get you to stay loyal. There has to be a fairly big distinction to keep you chasing another level one would think.

I totally agree with that. There have been times when we could have booked a Princess cruise instead of a Royal Caribbean cruise and went with Royal Caribbean because of the perks of being D+ (as well a the ship designs and crew).

I am not an egalitarian...as an American I believe that "all people are CREATED equal" and have equal rights.....where they go after that is totally up to them.

There was a time when there was first class, second class and steerage on cruise ships. Each group had their own areas (think Titanic).

Then for a while cruising was touted as being classless, in other words everyone was entitled to the same amenities onboard regardless of the type of stateroom that they had booked.

AS a result of marketing to the masses, mass market cruise lines are more affordable, but less exclusive, than before.

Today, there seems to be a resurgence of some aspects of class divisions with suite guests becoming the new First Class..

Something tells me the future holds a new enhanced diamond event for all D's and D+ will get the new diamond lounges.

I feel this will also happen once all ships have a true Diamond Lounge added. If it comes to where D+ Members are moved over to a Dedicated Diamond Lounge, I see no reason why they should be upset. The newly added Diamond Lounges are beautiful and offer the same great amenities that are offered in a CL.

I mean it's only a room where you meet folks and can enjoy a glass of whatever quenches your thirst and it is still keeping you loyal.:D

I get the sense that the word "Concierge" before Lounge is much more significant/prestigious to some rather than when it says Diamond Club.

There was a time when there was first class, second class and steerage on cruise ships. Each group had their own areas (think Titanic).

I don´t think there was ever a time cruise ships had first class, second class and steerage class. The Titanic comparison is inaccurate as well. The class system was used onboard ocean liners and the Titanic was an ocean liner as well. These were not cruise ships!

An ocean liner was designated to transport people from A to B just like planes do today. They were not designated for vacations or pleasure trips.

Then for a while cruising was touted as being classless, in other words everyone was entitled to the same amenities onboard regardless of the type of stateroom that they had booked.

AS a result of marketing to the masses, mass market cruise lines are more affordable, but less exclusive, than before.

Today, there seems to be a resurgence of some aspects of class divisions with suite guests becoming the new First Class..

There was a time when ocean liners weren´t needed anymore, as traffic went up in the air (pun intended;)).

At that point more and more ships were designated to pleasure travel (cruises) and in the begining and for quite a while after that it was indeed for the rich people.

When cruising went mass market there was a separation between luxury lines and mass market lines and this holds still true. But we are now at a point where ships get more and more features onboard and this will only work on the big mass market ships. Some of the wealthy people like those features as well, but they still want the luxury of first class and the mass market lines need the money of the wealthy folks - Consequence the mass market lines need to create perks for those that are willing to pay for it.

I don´t think there was ever a time cruise ships had first class, second class and steerage class. The Titanic comparison is inaccurate as well. The class system was used onboard ocean liners and the Titanic was an ocean liner as well. These were not cruise ships!

An ocean liner was designated to transport people from A to B just like planes do today. They were not designated for vacations or pleasure trips.

There was a time when ocean liners weren´t needed anymore, as traffic went up in the air (pun intended;)).

At that point more and more ships were designated to pleasure travel (cruises) and in the begining and for quite a while after that it was indeed for the rich people.

When cruising went mass market there was a separation between luxury lines and mass market lines and this holds still true. But we are now at a point where ships get more and more features onboard and this will only work on the big mass market ships. Some of the wealthy people like those features as well, but they still want the luxury of first class and the mass market lines need the money of the wealthy folks - Consequence the mass market lines need to create perks for those that are willing to pay for it.

Thank you to you and others who have made this understandable. I enjoy the history as well. I was one of those (who caught the rath here on CC) that had a cruise booked during the big "MISPRINT" saga. We had a JS booked and were told that we would have access to the CL. People were really mad at me. They should have been mad at RCCL. I was only asking for what I was promised. We couldn't take that cruise and can't at this time afford even a JS. We will love our upcoming cruise I'm sure!

However, the politics! ;)

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

Sort of like renting cars in a way. You can rent a Smart Car or a Cadillac, both will get you to where you want to go. :)

If you pay for a suite you'll receive the perks. Earn your way by going on one cruise at a time you become D+ and Pinnacle and you'll receive the perks. ;)

No one should have a hosue bigger than yours, a car better than yours, a wife more beautiful than yours, etc, etc, etc.

You get what you pay for in life! Sorry if that offends, but that is the way it tends to work out.

I wish it was just for suite guests but Diamond + and Pinnacle can currently get in. The rooms are just not big enough for all these extra people. If they were then it would not be a great issue.

Although rumours from the ships are saying that Diamond + will soon be excluded in another revamp of C&A but we will have to wait and see if there is any substance to those rumours.

Gee, as a diamond+ I just hate being called extra people and unwanted in the CL. Glad it is not your decision to make.See you in the CL,:rolleyes:

Gee, as a diamond+ I just hate being called extra people and unwanted in the CL. Glad it is not your decision to make.See you in the CL,:rolleyes:

Now you know how some folks started to feel when kids were allowed in the CL and they were made to feel extra and unwanted by some of the posts/posters and those folks were glad those CC posters were not making the decisions!!;)

Now you know how some folks started to feel when kids were allowed in the CL and they were made to feel extra and unwanted by some of the posts/posters and those folks were glad those CC posters were not making the decisions!!;)
I was being sarcastic,see:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Not 100% sure but I think that the "luxury" ships such as Regent and Seabourn do not have any such special lounges. I have sailed both of these lines and do not recall seeing any such thing but I did not check the web sites to be sure.

I'm not sure there is a hotel or cruise ship out there where you don't get "more" for being a suite guest. You get what you pay for, and that goes with everything in life. You purchase a home in a gated community - you get the security guards at the gate as a perk. You purchase a membership at a golf club - you get the club perks. You stay in a suite on a ship - you get the suite perks. Now do I live in a gated community and have a membership in a club? Nope. Do I wish I did? Yep. Do I wish I could afford to stay in a suite? You betcha! And when I finally do, you can bet your sweet cheeks I'll enjoy each and every one of those perks.

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

They paid a lot of money for their suite so, in my opinion, they should get a few more perks.

I think people need to get over it already:rolleyes:

Agreed. Its one room on a big ship. Its existence does not equate to a class system.

Actually Junior Suites at one time were allowed into the CL.

Well, not really. It was semantics. A poorly written brochure that showed the different room categories had JSs listed under the suites. In a separate footnote, it said suites had concierge service. It was all on how one wanted to read it, but most people knew JSs didn't have access, and RCI confirmed that.

We've stayed in the smallest cabin on the smallest ship, inside, oceanview, balconies and on our next cruise we'll be in a JS. The best perk of the JS?...the coffee pot for my husband! :D

When we finally make it to a "real" suite, we'll enjoy every perk that cabin has as well...hopefully it will still have that pesky coffee pot.:rolleyes:

So if you can afford to pay for a suite, then enjoy every perk it gives you!

Agreed. Its one room on a big ship. Its existence does not equate to a class system.

Well, not really. It was semantics. A poorly written brochure that showed the different room categories had JSs listed under the suites. In a separate footnote, it said suites had concierge service. It was all on how one wanted to read it, but most people knew JSs didn't have access, and RCI confirmed that.

Guess I'm not most people.

I buy a cruise, it said I had access, I believed it. Now that I'm CC informed I get it. Lighten up for folks that don't have all of your knowledge as angry as some folks get.

I don't have any issues with it. If you don't purchase business class or first class on a plane you can't use their facilities either. Or use the Business clubs unless you paid for membership

I am not in favor of special reserved sections of pool decks and show seating.

On a cruise where the food is all inclusive anyway, the c.l. Is of minimal benefit. It is an awesome thing ar certain hotels, Disney for example - they serve a continental breakfast, evening snacks, etc thereby saving money and time to go out. On a ship, however, all it saves you is a short walk.

On various cruises we have had the privelege of using the lounge, and it was a worthless perk on a cruise.

I will take priority tender tix any day!

Archived