Whatever happened to a classless ship?

wombie

As a fellow Aussie I understand what Wombie is saying.It is a cultural thing probably a throwback from our convict heritage.

I cruised for the first time with RCL last September and was surprised to see areas and seats set aside for some passengers.Personally I don't care,good luck to them as it's none of my business.

I did realize how protective some people are of their status though when I made a harmless joke at the dinner table.I observed while on the treadmill there is a special area set aside under the bow of the ship for ?Diamand(not positive as I didn't have my glasses on)I saw people go in but never anyone exit so I joked that I thought there was a shute down there that flung the passengers out to sea as the perks were costing the cruise line too much money.A person at the table sternly informed me he was Diamond +.I felt awful.

My thoughts are that as long as I am not at work or doing housework I don't care where I sit on a cruiseship:)

Regards Elaine.

Regards Elaine

On a cruise where the food is all inclusive anyway, the c.l. Is of minimal benefit. It is an awesome thing ar certain hotels, Disney for example - they serve a continental breakfast, evening snacks, etc thereby saving money and time to go out. On a ship, however, all it saves you is a short walk.

On various cruises we have had the privelege of using the lounge, and it was a worthless perk on a cruise.

I will take priority tender tix any day!

Maybe Im reading out of context but the CL is a nice retreat and does save you some money as well in having a free cocktail or 2 per couple per night. So Im not really understanding.

Maybe Im reading out of context but the CL is a nice retreat and does save you some money as well in having a free cocktail or 2 per couple per night. So Im not really understanding.

No, you got it right. While the free cocktails and snacks ARE a nice perk, it's only a part of the suite package. Calling it worthless on a cruise ships is just clueless. It may just be worthless to them but apparently others don't share that opinion otherwise they wouldn't exist.

No, you got it right. While the free cocktails and snacks ARE a nice perk, it's only a part of the suite package. Calling it worthless on a cruise ships is just clueless. It may just be worthless to them but apparently others don't share that opinion otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Have to agree. Couldnt figure out why someone would say the perks were worthless? We sailed GS on our last 2 cruises and having a hard time going back. Im truly blessed to be able to do this. However, since we paid for the suite, we certainly take advantage of all the perks and certainly do not find them worthless at all.

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

I think that it is great..

I believe that Cunard still runs their cruiseships on "classes". Depending on what stateroom category you book dictates where you can and cannot dine.

This is all I could find:

"Cunard is all about tradition, and passengers on Cunard enjoy classic ocean liners with formal service and many amenities. Cunard is the only major cruise line that still maintains different "classes" on its ships. Passengers in the higher priced cabins and suites have separate restaurants than the rest of the passengers. The ships are designed as floating resorts to transport passengers in style across the Atlantic; therefore, there are plenty of activities and special features onboard."

Cunard does have different "classes" but again these are determined by price. Grills passengers eat in the grills restaurants while everyone else, by far the majority, eat in the Britannia restaurant. Which is stunning. :p Wish I was back again right now. I will do a transatlantic on the QM 2 eventually.

The use of the word class is subjective and it used to be based on your social standing. That is an objectionable thing. Where class is determined by how much you want to pay, then there is no issue with that at all. So again I don't see what Cunard does is in any way different to people in suites on rcl having access to other amenities. They pay for that.

I find it amusing that we are 72 posting into this thread and the OP never came back...

Perhaps OP realized that s/he was wrong in assuming this was something new for RCI and for being "dismayed"? Besides it's only been less than 48 hours; not an outrageous amount of time has passed. :)

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the brochure misprint that lit up these boards a few years ago. This was more like 2007.

Seems we all have to "Lighten up" sometimes. Your humility teaches me.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't think my comment re Concierge Lounge would attract so many replies. This will be my first time on RCL so was not aware of the concept behind the lounge. It is fair enough if you pay more. I am used to P&O where public areas of the ship are accessible to all. :rolleyes:

Perhaps OP realized that s/he was wrong in assuming this was something new for RCI and for being "dismayed"? Besides it's only been less than 48 hours; not an outrageous amount of time has passed. :)

I am new to this forum and have taken this long to find it again!

Thanks to others, I now understand RCL policy. This will be my first time on RCL. I have previously only cruised on P&O where public areas of the ship are accessible to all. Just hope that we will be able to find a lounge/bar area with a lovely view. :rolleyes:

I am new to this forum and have taken this long to find it again!

Thanks to others, I now understand RCL policy. This will be my first time on RCL. I have previously only cruised on P&O where public areas of the ship are accessible to all. Just hope that we will be able to find a lounge/bar area with a lovely view. :rolleyes:

You most definately can find what you're looking for. Try the Viking Crown Lounge.

You most definately can find what you're looking for. Try the Viking Crown Lounge.

Depending on what ship you are on. This was just posted on another thread about the new Royal Advantage stuff done to Radiance:

The Ship: The Radiance is a great ship with lots of windows overlooking the ocean. There are lots of great locations inside to sit and watch the ocean. The covered Solarium on the pool deck was very popular on the last couple of colder days as we neared Vancouver. The ship was in pretty good shape for a 10 year old ship but it could have been cleaner. Nothing horribly dirty, but i noticed some dust and dirt in the Solarium and some other areas. The only negative thing about the Radiance is RCCL has pretty much ruined the Viking Crown Lounge on the very top of the ship by dividing off part of it for the Diamond repeaters. They basically just through up a wall and it looks pretty tacky and low budget.

Also, for much of the cruise they had the remaining "non-diamond" part closed for exclusive use by Diamond repeaters or some other special group during the day. I don't fault giving the Diamond people something special, but do you have to destroy a very nice room in the process just to say "all the ships have this feature"? That aside, i loved the Radiance and would sail on her again.

"exclusivity" seems to be the new watchword in cruise line circles. The trend is not limited to Royal Caribbean. As it is, the Diamond Lounge takes up only a portion of the Viking Crown lounge, not the entire area and, now with a Diamond Lounge there should no longer be a nightly Diamond event in the rest of the Viking Crown lounge. Dependiing on the ship you will also have great views from throughout the ship. Radiance class ships are especially noted for their views.

However, if you are really dismayed by the trend towards separating cruise passengers into separate but not equal groups, check out the promotional material for the Havens on NCL's new Breakaway and Getaway ships. They have their own private access elevator, dining facility, pool and courtyard and countless other amenities which should enable those who book these rooms to enjoy the entire cruise without ever coming into contact with the "hoi polloi", except perhaps as they are checking in or disembarking.:)

I have not been on one of the newly renovated ships but this was also said about the VCL: note the poster says-the whole room.:(

Also, it was annoying that often during the day they took the whole room for the Diamond folks. Maybe there were a lot of them on this cruise and the sectioned off space wasn't big enough? I don't know, but it was an annoyance.

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

are you SURE that the CL on the Rhapsody is "restricted to only suite guests". i believe you are wrong. all the other ships with CLs also allow dia+ and pinnacle..

you must be confused...:confused:

I have not been on one of the newly renovated ships but this was also said about the VCL: note the poster says-the whole room.:(

Also, it was annoying that often during the day they took the whole room for the Diamond folks. Maybe there were a lot of them on this cruise and the sectioned off space wasn't big enough? I don't know, but it was an annoyance.

I'm not sure what they were doing during the day that would require closing off the entire lounge for Diamond guests. Ordinarily the only special event for Diamond and higher level guests is the cocktail hour (normally 5:30 to 8:30) which are in the early evening, certainly not all day. The Diamond lounge is usually more than large enough for those few members who might need to use it during the day. I think the poster needs to expand on his or her comment since it doesn't jibe with our experience on any of the ships that have either a Concierge lounge or both a CL and a DL.

excuse me for being thick but what on earth does egalitarian mean? I have googled it yet I am still confused?

CK x

It refers to a situation where everyone is treated equally regardless of their income, social status, etc.

Nowadays, cruise lines are more reminiscent of the situation in Orwell 'Animal Farm' where "all animals are equal but some are animals are more equal than others".

I agree with the poster who noted that the CL is NOT restricted to suite guests but is also accessible for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members of Crown and Anchor. Now that Radiance also has a Diamond lounge, Diamond members can go there for the same perks that are provided in the CL.

It refers to a situation where everyone is treated equally regardless of their income, social status, etc.

Nowadays, cruise lines are more reminiscent of the situation in Orwell 'Animal Farm' where "all animals are equal but some are animals are more equal than others".

I agree with the poster who noted that the CL is NOT restricted to suite guests but is also accessible for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members of Crown and Anchor. Now that Radiance also has a Diamond lounge, Diamond members can go there for the same perks that are provided in the CL.

Oh right ok, I did Lord of the Flies at school but read Animal Farm in the mean time.

CK x

I have cruised and will continue to cruise in all types of cabins. Calling the "free perks" for suites "free" is a bit of a misnomer. Due to time constraints we only get to cruise once a year, and since we cruise with our kids who are too young to stay in their own cabin, we pay for the suite. An Owners Suite or Grand Suite can easily cost more than twice what a balcony or OV cabin would cost. We choose to pay more for the extra space and some of the suite benefits. Those benefits are hardly free though. I do not feel guilty enjoying a lounge chair in the reserved area or a seat in the theater, a cocktail in the CL or my buffet breakfast in Portofino. These are available to anyone that chooses to splurge on a suite. Everything else onboard is the same for everyone to enjoy.

I am confused by the bitterness some posters exhibit on this subject. If those "perks" mean that much to you and not having them diminishes your cruising experience, you may want to consider booking a suite or trying a different vacation. The perks cost the cruiseline little, but add some value to the experience. I would gladly take four cruises a year in an inside cabin if I and my family had the time. We usually can only cruise once a year, so we splurge. Why should our decision even cross other cruisers minds, let alone make them bitter. My wife and I work hard and save up for the suite, so we make sacrifices elsewhere. The overall cruise experience is the same for everyone, with only a few minor peripheral perks. Staying in a suite does not mean we are wealthy, or better than anyone else. It works for us to have the space for ourselves and our two daughters. As they get older, we'll probably go back to balcony cabins again.

Assumptions that suite guests are all stuck up snobs that only book suites for thousands more than balcony cabins just to get "free" booze for a couple of hours only perpetuate these types of threads. Jealousy and being judgmental are ugly traits...

Eric

I'm not sure what they were doing during the day that would require closing off the entire lounge for Diamond guests. Ordinarily the only special event for Diamond and higher level guests is the cocktail hour (normally 5:30 to 8:30) which are in the early evening, certainly not all day. The Diamond lounge is usually more than large enough for those few members who might need to use it during the day. I think the poster needs to expand on his or her comment since it doesn't jibe with our experience on any of the ships that have either a Concierge lounge or both a CL and a DL.

The only reason why I choose to comment on this is because someone advised another poster here that the VCL was a 'public facility-open to all that had great views.'

The poster I highlighted in red seems to not have had that experience. It is a newly renovated ship that may now make that area a completely different experience then one that has been had befor. it may not jibe with your experience other times but it was that posters experience that warrants further discussion. Another poster stated these things:

You should write C&A with your thoughts about the ruined Viking crown lounge. I agree. There have been a few tacky changes to Radiance and I hope to influence RCI into not making the same mistakes on Serenade in November. They have already cut back on some of the changes that were to occur.

People need to let RCI know their thoughts on that unappealing cubical like structure called the DL that has ruined the VCL.

So-it seems to me-things may change with ships that have the Royal advantage. One of the reasons I booked Brilliance befor all this stuff was added and changed because I enjoyed my sailing on Serenade and was glad to get one more in befor they all possibly change to a ship I don't care for. But I know I have to wait to form that opinion until I sail one.;)

Archived