Whatever happened to a classless ship?

wombie

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

I don't have any issues with it. If you don't purchase business class or first class on a plane you can't use their facilities either. Or use the Business clubs unless you paid for membership

What do others think?

On all RCI ships, if a concierge lounge exists, then it is for use by suite guests and those from the Crown and Anchor Society program with status of Diamond plus and Pinnacle.

On those ships with a dedicated Diamond Lounge, this is for Diamond status members from the Crown and Anchor society.

It's a similar principle to airline frequent flyer lounges, some are for first and business class passengers, some are for those who have attained a particular status due to their frequent flyer activity.

It is not new to RCI, so don't worry about it.

I am intrigued as to why you are dismayed by it though, it won't detract from the great time you'll have onboard.

What do others think?

The Concierge Lounge can only hold so many people. It has always been for suites, now for suites and top level cruisers.

If you are Diamond level in the C&A Society (70 cruise points), you will have access to the Diamond Lounge, a separate but equal facility on Deck 6.

I'm an egalitarian Yank, and I don't have a problem with RCI giving people who pay more something for their money.

I'm an egalitarian Yank, and I don't have a problem with RCI giving people who pay more something for their money.

I agree and I consider myself an egalitarian Aussie. Egalitarianism has nothing to do with this, it is about receiving benefits for the $ you pay. Inequity only exists if only a certain group of people received such benefits where everyone had paid the same, or if you were prevented by eg Race, gender etc from purchasing the higher fare if you could afford it.

My only problem with it is that im jealous ;)

I cant afford to book suites but am slowly working my way up the C&A ranks to take my seat in the DL. Im only a lowly Platinum at the moment but when I reach that Diamond status, I feel that I have paid my way for such a privelige :D

What do others think?

I wish it was just for suite guests but Diamond + and Pinnacle can currently get in. The rooms are just not big enough for all these extra people. If they were then it would not be a great issue.

Although rumours from the ships are saying that Diamond + will soon be excluded in another revamp of C&A but we will have to wait and see if there is any substance to those rumours.

Having been here for a while, (forgot my other name and password) the whole debate has been the opposite. Those who like to preserve the romance and formality of cruising, and those who simply think it's a vacation where one can do anything they want with no regard to others.

I have no problem with someone who pays/cruises more and receives the benifits from RCCL. We are traveling now and spent a few hours in the private Delta lounge because we hold certain credit cards that allow this for us. It was so nice to get away from the hussle and bussle of the masses, but we pay for it.

It's funny we are coupon people and I will get a bargain when I can, but then we just splurge and enjoy ourselves. It was a great day in Key West even though it rained all day. We bought panchos, went shopping and heard some great music. Hubby even bought me a ring. I LOVE IT!

Now let me ask this...is there a ship or line that claims to be classless? You know what I mean.

I'm not in the least bit bothered. I hear lots of shouts about the DL or CL but haven't quite worked out what's in it for me anyway? I'm accruing points with a view to eventually finding out but I'm happy to receive a robe without asking now and a few little gestures along the way.

I wish it was just for suite guests but Diamond + and Pinnacle can currently get in. The rooms are just not big enough for all these extra people. If they were then it would not be a great issue.

Although rumours from the ships are saying that Diamond + will soon be excluded in another revamp of C&A but we will have to wait and see if there is any substance to those rumours.

I have a question? When the CL was introduced was if for suite guests only? I would hardly call Dimond and Pinicle members, "all these extra people" LOL And I'm just a lowly Gold.

I have a question? When the CL was introduced was if for suite guests only? I would hardly call Dimond and Pinicle members, "all these extra people" LOL And I'm just a lowly Gold.

To be honest I am not sure - but these C&A groups can amount to a very large number on some cruises.

Add in the children in the evenings (which might not even be actually in a suite) then it can become very crowded.

I have seen multiple threads with this very same issue. I don't cruise suites, probably never will unless I hit the lottery or get upgraded. As long as they don't take away the sea, the sun and the wonderful time we always have on our cruises, I will never complain or care about perks suite guests and upper tier C&A categories receive. Now, if the MDR would bring back escargot and rack of lamb, cruising would be perfection for us :rolleyes:

Why do people have such a problem with the suite perks? I thoroughly enjoy them when I pay for a suite and have access, but I've also had a fantastic time on my cruises when I had no perks at all.

What do others think?

I´d really like the ships and passengers to get more class;) Guess that´s not what you are talking about though:rolleyes:.

I think it´s completely ok to have certain perks limited to certain groups.

Just a word of warning to you. As you already don´t like the thought of a CL reserved for suite, D+ and P members, you won´t be pleased to see reserved seating in the theatre and around the pool for suite guests.

Why do people have such a problem with the suite perks? I thoroughly enjoy them when I pay for a suite and have access, but I've also had a fantastic time on my cruises when I had no perks at all.

Only very few will admit but it´s jealousy.

Yes in the very beginning it was for suite guests only. It later opened up for D and D+, then D´s were booted off again and it was for D+ and then when Pinncale was introduced they were included as well. Latest group to gain access have been kids.

Originally, it was also for Diamond members, and there was no D+ or Pinnacle category. They had two problems that made this unsustainable.

They started making it easier to get extra cruise credits (2 for a suite, 2 for a longer cruise, etc.) which made it easier to get to Diamond. And there is no expiration of your level like with airlines, so more and more people are reaching it and only death removes them from the roles.

Others are probably right that eventually, these two things will make it unsustainable for D+, just like it did for D.

What do others think?

Hasn't it always been like that? Concierge Lounge for suite passengers and Diamond Lounge for Diamond and Diamond Plus passengers. As others have mentioned, it's the same on a first class ticket and AA Admiral Club (for example). If you don't have the right ticket you are not allowed in...

What do others think?

I think people need to get over it already:rolleyes:

This is what capitalism looks like. The ball parks have box seats and reserved parking. Some people have granite kitchens in their 15,000 square foot vacation home. Some have Formica in their apartments.

Life just plain isn't fair. If we all had the same things, where would we get the motivation to work hard and do better?

Some day I'd like to scrape up enough to stay in a suite. I want it to be something special. If not, why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do others think?

Carnival is the only mainstream cruise line I'm aware of that doesn't have a variety of perks and reserved areas for suite passengers.

Yes in the very beginning it was for suite guests only. It later opened up for D and D+, then D´s were booted off again and it was for D+ and then when Pinncale was introduced they were included as well. Latest group to gain access have been kids.

Pinnacle members were already included, since all Pinnacles are/were D+ before they were Pinnacle. So the inclusion of Pinnacles in the CL did not increase the numbers of pax who had access.

Hasn't it always been like that? Concierge Lounge for suite passengers and Diamond Lounge for Diamond and Diamond Plus passengers. As others have mentioned, it's the same on a first class ticket and AA Admiral Club (for example). If you don't have the right ticket you are not allowed in...

Concierge Lounge is for Suite Guests, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Members. A Diamond Lounge is for Diamond Plus, Pinnacle Club Members and Suite Guests if they are DP or PC.

Archived