Whatever happened to a classless ship?

wombie

I don´t think there was ever a time cruise ships had first class, second class and steerage class. The Titanic comparison is inaccurate as well. The class system was used onboard ocean liners and the Titanic was an ocean liner as well. These were not cruise ships!

An ocean liner was designated to transport people from A to B just like planes do today. They were not designated for vacations or pleasure trips.

Sorry, but I believe that this is incorrect. I know because I've been on a number of ships in the 60's that had three separate classes, Yes, some were using the ship as a conveyance from one point to another, but many were cruising for the pleasure experience of ocean travel. These were luxury, ocean-going vessels, not freighters. How do you think cruising developed its traditions of dining, attire, social standing? Transatlantic crossings in the early part of the 20th century, for example, were not meant just to get from "point A to point B" for people of means who were not immigrating from one country to another. Many traveled by sea for the same reasons I do today--for a unique experience, an element of pampering, and enjoyment of the ocean. And because they could afford it.

There is really no difference between "ocean liners" and "cruise ships". I would definitely classify every ship in the RCI fleet as an "ocean liner". Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Teddie

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

I have no problem with it at all. I am getting something that I earned.

Sorry, but I believe that this is incorrect. I know because I've been on a number of ships in the 60's that had three separate classes, Yes, some were using the ship as a conveyance from one point to another, but many were cruising for the pleasure experience of ocean travel. These were luxury, ocean-going vessels, not freighters. How do you think cruising developed its traditions of dining, attire, social standing? Transatlantic crossings in the early part of the 20th century, for example, were not meant just to get from "point A to point B" for people of means who were not immigrating from one country to another. Many traveled by sea for the same reasons I do today--for a unique experience, an element of pampering, and enjoyment of the ocean. And because they could afford it.

There is really no difference between "ocean liners" and "cruise ships". I would definitely classify every ship in the RCI fleet as an "ocean liner". Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Teddie

That´s where we differ, I´m sure you didn´t understand.;)

Why do people have such a problem with the suite perks? I thoroughly enjoy them when I pay for a suite and have access, but I've also had a fantastic time on my cruises when I had no perks at all.

Only very few will admit but it´s jealousy.

I think people need to get over it already:rolleyes:

Agree on all comments above.

Well, not really. It was semantics. A poorly written brochure that showed the different room categories had JSs listed under the suites. In a separate footnote, it said suites had concierge service. It was all on how one wanted to read it, but most people knew JSs didn't have access, and RCI confirmed that.

JS cabins did have access to the CL way back when. In October of 2003, we cruised in our first JS on Radiance and we had access to the CL. Willie Salay was the Concierge back then if I remember correctly.

In the summer/fall of 2006 RCI said that JS did not qualify and it was supposed to be stated as such in the newly printed brochures. Unfortunately, whoever does their proofreading didn't catch it and the brochure went to print with the wrong info in it. Needless to say, people with brochures in hand boarded ships ready to push the issue. Some were successful and some were not.

Guess I'm not most people.

I buy a cruise, it said I had access, I believed it. Now that I'm CC informed I get it. Lighten up for folks that don't have all of your knowledge as angry as some folks get.

There wasn't one bit of anger in my post. I was only explaining a past debacle. So in your own words, lighten up.

I don't get angry that first class passengers on airplanes get full meals and fully flat seats. They paid for it! Now, when I did fly first class, I took full advantage of everything I was offered. I will do the same on our upcoming cruise in an Owner's Suite.

Gee, as a diamond+ I just hate being called extra people and unwanted in the CL. Glad it is not your decision to make.See you in the CL,:rolleyes:

A lot of suite people do not like Diamond + people being there. I am divided if I am honest.

A lot of suite people do not like Diamond + people being there. I am divided if I am honest.

and vise versa sometimes one could say but it seems most think Royal will soon solve this problem and each will have their own and peace and serenity will once again live on. :p

JS cabins did have access to the CL way back when. In October of 2003, we cruised in our first JS on Radiance and we had access to the CL. Willie Salay was the Concierge back then if I remember correctly.

In the summer/fall of 2006 RCI said that JS did not qualify and it was supposed to be stated as such in the newly printed brochures. Unfortunately, whoever does their proofreading didn't catch it and the brochure went to print with the wrong info in it. Needless to say, people with brochures in hand boarded ships ready to push the issue. Some were successful and some were not.

We were on the Brilliance in 2002 = Circle The Caribbean cruise and there was no mistake that JS and Above had CL privileges. But, due to overcrowding they tried to say that JS were not eligible. Yes, our friends had the brochure and we all got keys. They would not have given in to us had it just been a matter of semantics.

In 2003 we did the Panama Canal on the Brilliance and I believe the brochure had been rewritten and we did not get access to the CL. We were okay with that since walking by the CL you could see that it was packed. Our photo was from that cruise. They had a Titanic backdrop and did the photos in B & W.

Thanks for the clarification!

and vise versa sometimes one could say but it seems most think Royal will soon solve this problem and each will have their own and peace and serenity will once again live on. :p

Why would diamond + people be troubled by suite guests as they cannot use the diamond lounge

We were on the Brilliance in 2002 = Circle The Caribbean cruise and there was no mistake that JS and Above had CL privileges. But, due to overcrowding they tried to say that JS were not eligible. Yes, our friends had the brochure and we all got keys. They would not have given in to us had it just been a matter of semantics.

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the brochure misprint that lit up these boards a few years ago. This was more like 2007.

Thanks. I wasn't aware it happened back then. One question though....are you saying it was a JS perk all the way up until summer/fall 2006? :confused: Just asking because our first JS was on Adventure in 2004. We did not have the perk. Nor did we in 2005 on EOS and 2006 on FOS, both of which we were in a JS. My first CL experience was in 2007 on EOS as a D member.

Thanks. I wasn't aware it happened back then. One question though....are you saying it was a JS perk all the way up until summer/fall 2006? :confused: Just asking because our first JS was on Adventure in 2004. We did not have the perk. Nor did we in 2005 on EOS and 2006 on FOS, both of which we were in a JS. My first CL experience was in 2007 on EOS as a D member.

Yes, it is confusing because we only ran into this on the one cruise yet we have booked JS many times both before and after...so I am not sure how it all came about. One of those little quirks in the system I guess???

Why would diamond + people be troubled by suite guests as they cannot use the diamond lounge

Because suite children are allowed in the CL & the D+ people don't think kids should be allowed in because they "touch" the food (I see adults do that all the time!) & take up space that they believe should be reserved for adults. And.......... access to the CL is more prestigeous than the diamond lounge.

and vise versa sometimes one could say but it seems most think Royal will soon solve this problem and each will have their own and peace and serenity will once again live on.

Because suite children are allowed in the CL & the D+ people don't think kids should be allowed in because they "touch" the food (I see adults do that all the time!) & take up space that they believe should be reserved for adults. And.......... access to the CL is more prestigeous than the diamond lounge.

Wow! These lounges sound like great places to be / socialize. :rolleyes:

No thanks! :cool:

I agree and I consider myself an egalitarian Aussie. Egalitarianism has nothing to do with this, it is about receiving benefits for the $ you pay. Inequity only exists if only a certain group of people received such benefits where everyone had paid the same, or if you were prevented by eg Race, gender etc from purchasing the higher fare if you could afford it.

The passengers in suites are paying quite a bit more. And you only get this for Grand Suite and Above. Junior Suites do not get access.

A grand Suite will usually cost you at least twice the price of a Balcony. The suite passengers are not getting to eat in a different dining room (that is Cunard), or see different shows that you cant see.

Having sailed in a suite once, I can tell you that the concierge is a nice perk, but you are not really missing anything. You get a few free drinks in the evening, but you can save a whole lot of money by just getting a balcony and buying your own drinks at the bar.

Just checked a photo gallery of Rhapsody's recent upgrade.

Was dismayed to find that the renovated Concierge Lounge is restricted to passengers travelling in suites.

As an egalitarian Aussie, travelling on Rhapsody from Honolulu to Sydney in September, I am rather perturbed by this stand by RCL.

What do others think?

:confused:

Would you like to introduce yourself, and let us know how many cruises that you have, and what catagory of cabin presently booked?

Otherwise, why are you asking these questions???

Rick

PS.........you obviously have.........so my apologies!

It's really hard to keep up with some threads!!:)

I just can't remember that far back Paul, I wish I could.:o We were Diamond Members back in 2003 so that might have something to do with it.

I did a search here on CC and found the threads about the uprising that occurred in mid 2006 when JS cabins were not eligible for the CL and the brochures that were printed with erroneous information.

Archived