Voyager Class to Test Key West

Sell CRUD.:rolleyes: That is NOT what I wanted to hear. If the Mariner starts that crummy run to Key West, yet another reason to stay off of her. In the winter it is often COLD and rainy across the Gulf. I have been to K.W. 4 times and that was enough. I hope the don't revive the old Rhapsody run from Galveston to KW, GC and Cozumel. Sorry, but that is not a good run at all. JMHO

Up until now, Radiance Class was the largest RCI ship to visit Key West due to a narrow portion of the channel. But Carnival Magic began porting here, which motivated RCI to aim bigger. Mariner of the Seas, which is sailing empty right now on its way to drydock, will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin, you can expect to see Key West added to Voyager Class itineraries.

Thanks Paul, great news.

Yes, and they still are. However, it's a small bunch....not really the voice of the majority. Only 2 of the 3 piers can handle the large ships, but one of them, the Mole Pier, requires shuttling in to town, so I don't see them ever using it for the larger ships. So, with only 1 feasible pier, only one large ship should be able to visit at a time.

Currently, Carnival Magic ports here. While Voyager Class may be slightly larger, they have less passengers than Magic.

Plus, and this isn't a knock on Carnival, the shop owners would much rather see a large RCI ship over a large CCL ship. I have a few friends who own local stores. From what they tell me, CCL passengers don't tend to spend $$$ like RCI passengers do. They loved when the Radiance came here and look forward to the Jewel.

Paul, do you ever hear grumblings of a new pier being built to house the larger ships? I've heard the same thing as others, that a lot of the residents of KW are opposed to it, but I just wondered if you'd heard anything.

Up until now, Radiance Class was the largest RCI ship to visit Key West due to a narrow portion of the channel. But Carnival Magic began porting here, which motivated RCI to aim bigger. Mariner of the Seas, which is sailing empty right now on its way to drydock, will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin, you can expect to see Key West added to Voyager Class itineraries.

That would be great news!! Love Key West! One of my favorite places. Sailing on the Majesty in September with the main reason, the stop at Key West. It would be great if another RC ship would sail there also.

Thanks for the info

Sharon

Paul, do you ever hear grumblings of a new pier being built to house the larger ships? I've heard the same thing as others, that a lot of the residents of KW are opposed to it, but I just wondered if you'd heard anything.

A larger pier? No. However, the current Outer Mole Pier can handle the largest of ships. It's the shuttling that restricts the number of passengers, and the pier is still owned by the Navy. In time, I expect to see some sort of walkway connecting that pier to the area of Pier B (the Westin Pier), but that won't be anytime soon.

A larger pier? No. However, the current Outer Mole Pier can handle the largest of ships. It's the shuttling that restricts the number of passengers, and the pier is still owned by the Navy. In time, I expect to see some sort of walkway connecting that pier to the area of Pier B (the Westin Pier), but that won't be anytime soon.

Good to know, thanks.

Gosh! If the Mariner would go to Key West, that would be great!

You are right about the CCL magic. I live in Texas and have looked at the various ports that the Magic does.

I also looked into doing a land based vacation for The Keys too.

DH is a HUGE fisherman-HUGE!!!! We love snorkling too. If we did the cruise to KW, I think we would book at fishing excursion for DH.

My head is spinning with looking at the Land Base. We would snorkle in Key Largo, Fish in Marathon and I guess just tour KW.

Gosh! If the Mariner would go to Key West, that would be great!

I'm really not sure what RCI's future plans are. If they pull this off without a hitch, there's no telling which Voyager Class ship(s) will be included in future Key West itineraries. I don't know MOS's schedule, but if she is cruising out of the Gulf next summer, KW may very well be added to her cruises.

I'm really not sure what RCI's future plans are. If they pull this off without a hitch, there's no telling which Voyager Class ship(s) will be included in future Key West itineraries. I don't know MOS's schedule, but if she is cruising out of the Gulf next summer, KW may very well be added to her cruises.

I hope they keep her in the Gulf for the summer. Galveston needs a year round RCI ship! We're booked March '13 and we're still doing Jamaica, GC and CZ.

We have always enjoyed our times in Key West. In the early 90's, we did a land trip and stayed a couple days in Key West. Had a fabulous time. Our next 3 or 4 visits were from cruise ship. Just not enough time, and we missed going to Mallory Square to watch the sun set. We did a pre-cruise trip to Key West and stayed a couple days at a B&B. That was really a great way. Flew into FLL, rented a car and drove down the keys, stayed a couple days, and drove back to FLL, then boarded a ship for our cruise. A very nice addition!

Good thing they will only allow one BIG ship into KW at a time......Doesn't Carnival have a history of Running in to ( Hitting ) RCL ships? AKA Puerto Vallarta...And I beleive one other port.....anybody? :p Like many of you...Love Key West....but not what it use to be when my partner and i started going there in the Early 80's...but i guess nothing is now! Boo Hoo!

Mike b

.....Doesn't Carnival have a history of Running in to ( Hitting ) RCL ships? AKA Puerto Vallarta...And I beleive one other port.....anybody? :p

Oh, yes they do. In fact, just last year, a CCL Fantasy Class ship ran into another Fantasy Class ship here in Key West.

By the way, that other port was Cozumel. ;)

We live in Texas and used to enjoy the run from Galveston to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. We fly to Florida once a year to cruise with family who live there. I suggested a cruise for April 2013 out of Tampa on the Jewel. They said "Key West???" and nixed that real quick. Wouldn't the locals in Florida rather go to Costa Maya? (We're so upset that both Princess and RCI has dropped this fabulous port.) I'm not knocking Key West as we've always had such a good time and love the cat man and the entertainment at sunset in Mallory Square.

Another form of free entertainment on Carnival. Bumper ships!

Too funny. Wasn't the CCL/RCI incident mentioned on the PBS Why Ships Sink special from the other day? Can't remember where I saw the video footage of that incident.

I really think Key West is a better evening destination than it is in the daytime. Don't get me wrong- I enjoyed the day I spent in Key West on my first cruise, visiting the Pirate Museum and wandering my way down to Southernmost Point on a gorgeous morning (plus, that was the first morning I ever woke up on a cruise ship, so it's a happy memory!) but when I return, I want to be able to be at Mallory Square for sunset and then drink the night away! A land trip to the Keys is in my future- probably diving in Key Largo before continuing down for a few nights in Key West, If I ever stop there on a cruise again that'd be fine, but it's not something that would make or break a trip.

Too funny. Wasn't the CCL/RCI incident mentioned on the PBS Why Ships Sink special from the other day?

Yes it was. I don't remember which Carnival ship was involved, but the unlucky RCI vessel on the receiving end was the Enchantment.

Wouldn't the locals in Florida rather go to Costa Maya? (We're so upset that both Princess and RCI has dropped this fabulous port.)

I don't get this either. I really love Costa Maya. Why aren't more ships stopping there?

Archived