Voyager Class to Test Key West

Up until now, Radiance Class was the largest RCI ship to visit Key West due to a narrow portion of the channel. But Carnival Magic began porting here, which motivated RCI to aim bigger. Mariner of the Seas, which is sailing empty right now on its way to drydock, will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin, you can expect to see Key West added to Voyager Class itineraries.

Up until now, Radiance Class was the largest RCI ship to visit Key West due to a narrow portion of the channel. But Carnival Magic began porting here, which motivated RCI to aim bigger. Mariner of the Seas, which is sailing empty right now on its way to drydock, will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin, you can expect to see Key West added to Voyager Class itineraries.

Or a Voyager Class replace the Majesty and keep going to Key West.:cool:

Only the Turtle knows.:D

Do you have any idea when she is supposed to be coming in? I only know of this one webcam, would we be able to see her on this cam?

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/portcams/us/key_west.php

Mariner of the Seas, which is sailing empty right now on its way to drydock, will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin, you can expect to see Key West added to Voyager Class itineraries.

And if they DO have any problems . . . well, it's a good thing she'll be heading straight for the dry dock! :D

will pull in to Key West, turn around, and leave. If they don't see any problems with the width of the channel and turning basin,

Please, please please RCI be careful and don't get her stuck in the channel!!! :eek: We are very much expecting to board her a week from tomorrow. Already departure has been delayed for three hours. Hmmmm... maybe thsis side trip is what pushed the whole schedule back those three hours. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up Paul! I hope that you will be watching tomorrow and let us know how everything went. You would be the guy "in the know"!!:D;)

Rick

We would love, love, love to have Key West as a port again! It was always one of our favorites!! I would be very happy to see this port back on RCI schedules!

It has always been a stop for RCI....Majesty stops there once a week, Enchantment stops there now and then, Jewel will be stopping there all next winter, etc. However, the larger ships have never had Key West scheduled......yet!

At one time weren't the people of Key West trying to limit the number of cruise line passengers in town.:eek:

Yes, and they still are. However, it's a small bunch....not really the voice of the majority. Only 2 of the 3 piers can handle the large ships, but one of them, the Mole Pier, requires shuttling in to town, so I don't see them ever using it for the larger ships. So, with only 1 feasible pier, only one large ship should be able to visit at a time.

Currently, Carnival Magic ports here. While Voyager Class may be slightly larger, they have less passengers than Magic.

Plus, and this isn't a knock on Carnival, the shop owners would much rather see a large RCI ship over a large CCL ship. I have a few friends who own local stores. From what they tell me, CCL passengers don't tend to spend $$$ like RCI passengers do. They loved when the Radiance came here and look forward to the Jewel.

Great news. I'm just off jewel, which completed its last run to Costa Maya while we were there. (for the scheduled future) and it is headed to runs to Keywest. I'll be looking for a reason to return to Key West again, so I'll be watching. Any chance you will be taking photos when Mariner arrives. I assume you will update us.

Thanks.

That would be great. Love your little town. We stopped there on the Jewel of the Seas years ago and have been on two land vacations there including fantasy fest once.

And where you do you have those pictures on the web ;)

Very interesting! Galveston (current US home of the Mariner) is our closest home port, and while we LOVE visiting the usual suspects on our cruises...we are DYING for new port cities. This idea thrills me for the Voyager class. :D

HOWEVER...Please don't take away our Mariner and use her as a replacement for Majesty! :eek:

Archived