Voyager Class to Test Key West

We live in Texas and used to enjoy the run from Galveston to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. We fly to Florida once a year to cruise with family who live there. I suggested a cruise for April 2013 out of Tampa on the Jewel. They said "Key West???" and nixed that real quick. Wouldn't the locals in Florida rather go to Costa Maya? (We're so upset that both Princess and RCI has dropped this fabulous port.) I'm not knocking Key West as we've always had such a good time and love the cat man and the entertainment at sunset in Mallory Square.

From an a person that lived most of his life in Florida, I would take the Keys over Costa Maya any day. We are spending a week down in the Keys in June. Did it last year and loved it. Costa Maya is okay but I would not want to spend a week down there.:)

mariner3.jpg

Thank you very much for posting these. MOS came in earlier than I was told yesterday. It went off without a hitch. It looks like a success! :D

That's the CCL Imagination in port. That is the dock at which MOS would moor, if and when she starts coming here.

Thank you very much for posting these. MOS came in earlier than I was told yesterday. It went off without a hitch. It looks like a success! :D

If was fun getting those images off the web cam. :D

Now all we have to do is wait on RCI to release the results and a Key West itinerary for these larger sized ships on an 'all new schedule'....which may take forever and then be postponed a half dozen times. :rolleyes::D

Now all we have to do is wait on RCI to release the results and a Key West itinerary for these larger sized ships on an 'all new schedule'....which may take forever and then be postponed a half dozen times. :rolleyes::D

Yea, no kidding! It seems to be a little hush, hush for now. Just remember, you heard it here first! :D;)

Maybe we can get CC to give their PR department a call for the scoop.

If was fun getting those images off the web cam. :D

Thanks for posting the pictures, I missed her coming in.

Nice to turn on my computer, pull up CC to check on whether the Mariner was on schedule, only to find that she had come and gone.

The pictures make it appear that there are no problems (thanks Dave for being there pulling them off of the web cam), so now we wait to see what Royal Caribbean will do, if anything about having a larger ship dock in Key West.

Rick

The pictures make it appear that there are no problems...

Ain't that the truth. What those pixelated pictures don't show are the green buoys just off her stern.

Actually, the turning basin was the least of their concern. The main shipping channel approaching Key West has 2 bends. Cut Alpha heads NW, then turns north in to Cut Bravo. At that turn, the channel goes from wide to narrow. It's the narrow channel they are most concerned with.

The wide and narrow channel can be seen by looking at this chart:

http://nauticalcharts.com/images/products/noaa/11447.jpg

Nice to turn on my computer, pull up CC to check on whether the Mariner was on schedule, only to find that she had come and gone.

The pictures make it appear that there are no problems (thanks Dave for being there pulling them off of the web cam), so now we wait to see what Royal Caribbean will do, if anything about having a larger ship dock in Key West.

Rick

Hey Rick..........Lost your email......can you email me at KK4275 (I'm on AOL)

Thanks

Ain't that the truth. What those pixelated pictures don't show are the green buoys just off her stern.

Actually, the turning basin was the least of their concern. The main shipping channel approaching Key West has 2 bends. Cut Alpha heads NW, then turns north in to Cut Bravo. At that turn, the channel goes from wide to narrow. It's the narrow channel they are most concerned with.

The wide and narrow channel can be seen by looking at this chart:

http://nauticalcharts.com/images/products/noaa/11447.jpg

Thanks for posting the chart Paul! That looks tight coming in.

From an a person that lived most of his life in Florida, I would take the Keys over Costa Maya any day. We are spending a week down in the Keys in June. Did it last year and loved it. Costa Maya is okay but I would not want to spend a week down there.:)

I found one day enough for me. Given the choice, Key West!

That's the CCL Imagination in port. That is the dock at which MOS would moor, if and when she starts coming here.

Could be a good caption contest here. "Oh, Carnival's here, I'll come back when you clear out the riff raff"

I found one day enough for me. Given the choice, Key West!

I agree! We visited Key West twice on port days and followed that up with a week long stay 2 years ago. We had such a great time that week and look forward to it again. Paul gave me some great tips as well for our stay. :)

Archived