The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

My wife and I always use the 7 day pill boxes. Most if not all prescription and non-prescription pills can be identified by color, shape, and code.

Not something one has time for if trying to catch a flight, trust me. We always use the original bottles and then take a few minutes and transfer to the pill boxes once we arrive at our destination, be it cruise ship or otherwise.

I'm also wondering the same.

If my husband thinks I quit smoking so I get creative and hide a pack and Royal finds it-are we getting thrown off because I hid them???

Personally, I would rather face my husband and tell him I still smoked than run the risk of "hiding" the ciggies and getting thrown off the ship, thus losing $3,000. But that's just me:D

Becci, you don't have a thing to worry about. I'll write to you personally later, but what people need to know about you.........firstly, I know you and have cruised with you, and find you to be forthrightly honest! How do I know that......welll, it's because you held my feet to the fire, when I said that I would buy you the first drink........and I did!!:D

With that drink, and some great conversation, I found you to be open on every subject.

So, folks, if Becci seems to be, to some of you, sharing things about a phone call..........it's because of her unbiased honesty, and nothing more.

Becci, the next time you get a call from corporate............don't share it!!;)

Rick

WOW! You make me blush. Thank you kindly....

love-085.gif

I thought about it in the same way. I didn't know people had to prove that what they brought on board was legal. I figured it was up to the cruise line or the port security to prove something was illegal if they felt there was a problem.

Only if it is hidden in a fake can of hairspray and looks like weed :rolleyes:

Well people who drink do some pretty crazy things and often fall asleep while tobacco is involved and end up setting fires. Unfortunately sometimes people even die. Given this, maybe alcohol comsumption should be banned on ships as well.

Also bringing alcohol aboard is against the rules, yet when people are caught they are not removed from the ship and told they will not be allowed back on board. RCI should enforce the rules they have for eveyone and leave those not breaking them alone.

No, I don't do drugs and rarely ever have a drink but I do believe in equitable treatment for people.

I just don't understand why given the way you feel about RCI why you would even cruise on one of their ships and give them your money???

When it comes to my money, it goes to too many stupid things to mention.

Washington D.C. would be an excellent example.

But, I do like cruising on RCI. That does not require that I agree with the lunacy of their management. They continually prove themselves to be blithering idiots. And I certainly will not defend their actions.

Not something one has time for if trying to catch a flight, trust me. We always use the original bottles and then take a few minutes and transfer to the pill boxes once we arrive at our destination, be it cruise ship or otherwise.

I have over 2+ million air miles .. and rarely ever have the original bottle .. unless I have a sinus infection and just got antibiotics. Have never had an issue.

Thanks Bigeagle - that is a good example. I have no knowledge of spice or some of the other drugs that could be laced into what ever. But if it produces an extreme high, well I've seen people high on pot that do some pretty stupid stuff that endangers themselves and others.

I would assert that the effects of alcohol are significantly worse than just about any other substance.

But alcohol is legal and a money maker.

If marijuana, thc, peyote, acid, cocaine, etc were legal, RCI and every other cruise line would be selling them for the profits they would generate.

Well people who drink do some pretty crazy things and often fall asleep while tobacco is involved and end up setting fires. Unfortunately sometimes people even die. Given this, maybe alcohol comsumption should be banned on ships as well.

Also bringing alcohol aboard is against the rules, yet when people are caught they are not removed from the ship and told they will not be allowed back on board. RCI should enforce the rules they have for eveyone and leave those not breaking them alone.

No, I don't do drugs and rarely ever have a drink but I do believe in equitable treatment for people.

But alcohol is legal .. what they had could not be proven either way .. if he hadn't hidden it .. he probably would have gotten away with it :rolleyes:

If marijuana, thc, peyote, acid, cocaine, etc were legal, RCI and every other cruise line would be selling them for the profits they would generate.

LOL! So true! I can see it now. A 1/4 ounce of weed that can be bought on land for 50 bucks would cost 3 - 4 times that on the ship! :eek:

I have over 2+ million air miles .. and rarely ever have the original bottle .. unless I have a sinus infection and just got antibiotics. Have never had an issue.

Well, you are at one end of the spectrum and my husband is at the other because he has been stopped multiple times at TSA checkpoints and had his med bag examined. One TSA agent even told him it was a good thing they were in their original bottles.:rolleyes: Not sure where he was going with that since TSA only "suggests" medication be in its original bottles, it is not a requirement.

LOL! So true! I can see it now. A 1/4 ounce of weed that can be bought on land for 50 bucks would cost 3 - 4 times that on the ship! :eek:

Weedrunners, cocainerunners, peyoterunners, acidrunners .... hmmmm ...... whole new lines of business.

But, wouldn't RCI be responsible for coming back and saying...OK, we took it and started to destroy it and then we didn't and we gave it back to them.

Well, it looks like RCI is, at least for now, not saying anything further. Which is probably wise since it appears that the couple have contacted a lawyer.

I don't see anywhere where RCI started to destroy it and then changed their minds. All I see is the quotation about law enforcement taking it to destroy it.

As for controlled substances and narcotics...all controlled substances are not narcotics, but so far as I know all narcotics are controlled substances. In the U.S., anyway, I have no knowledge of how other countries classify things.

Generally, controlled substances are drugs with potential for abuse/addiction, while narcotics are drugs which are primarily used for pain relief, but can also cause sedation, respiratory and/or central nervous system depression, and addiction. Opium is the "original" narcotic. Morphine is a narcotic which is also a controlled substance. Marijuana is a controlled substance which is not a narcotic.

It's illegal to possess a controlled substance unless you have a DEA license, which usually requires some kind of medical degree...MD, DVM, etc....OR if you have a prescription from someone who legitimately possesses such a license, OR if you are a hospital/pharmacy/clinic dispensing legitimate prescriptions.

Some controlled substances, like LSD, marijuana, and heroin, have high potential for abuse and, according to the feds, no accepted medical use, and so it is illegal to possess most of them no matter what. Those are Schedule I drugs. There are five Schedules in descending order of abuse potential.

States can have drugs on their controlled substances list that are not federally controlled. Tramadol, a commonly-used analgesic, is controlled in some states, but is not yet federally-controlled. Euthanasia solution (usually pentobarbital) is a controlled substance; veterinarians can of course order it but I'm not sure if physicians can since, while pentobarbital at low doses can be used to control seizures, there's no legal human use for a medication labelled as "euthanasia solution".

BTW, don't bother with the Wikipedia entry on narcotics (or anything, really). It says that legally a narcotic is a drug that is totally prohibited, which is not true. :D

Anyone with a controlled substance prescription, like for Xanax (alprazolam), should absolutely transport that medication in its original container, with appropriate label. I would also take at least one copy of the prescription.

If "spice" is illegal, but you can't test something to prove it is spice, how do you convict someone of having the substance?

There are lab tests but there is no field test. The police would have to seize the substance and release the suspect pending lab results. It happens in other cases where the officer has no field test kit but suspects the substance to be illegal.

Husband's actions were a clear case of intent to decieve the port and ship security personel. This in and of itself is enough to deny passage.

Wife's actions (at least by ommission) were, in my opinion, a clear intent to decieve the people who read and post on this board. This leads me to distrust in my own mind anything else she said in the other thread and is a good reason for her to not post anything further, lawyer's advice and such not withstanding.

I will admit to being a "Lurker" on both threads! But this in a nut shell says it all to me.... The intent to deceive on both their parts! Stupid stupid stupid

So maybe the guy was misguided in his paranoia and made an awkward decision to put his legal tobacco in a hidden compartment of a faux hairspray can.

So what?!?!?

This is America – last time I checked, individuality and poor judgment wasn’t outlawed.

Maybe in your world, he made a stupid decision. Maybe in his world, he did what he thought was the most prudent thing to do at the time ---- whether you like it or not that is his right.

The bottom line is that regardless of whether you agree or disagree with his thought process or whether you question his future intentions, as far as we know he didn’t do anything illegal.

Unless they can prove otherwise, RCI needs to give this family their money back.

This is a genuine question, so could those that are just being hateful please lay off just for a minute and let those that actually want to answer do so?

I keep seeing people say it hasn't been proven to not be illegal, it was just proven to NOT have THC in it. OK...let's say I agree (I'm not positive that I do because that isn't what the article claims the PA said, but let's work from here, OK?).

What other illegal substances, besides pot, looks like green tobacco? (please know that's a real question because I don't know of any) :confused:

The new designer drugs are laced with various chemicals. The ingredients added to them may not change their outward appearance.

I will admit to being a "Lurker" on both threads! But this in a nut shell says it all to me.... The intent to deceive on both their parts! Stupid stupid stupid

Which I think is more the crux of the issue. Plus the fact we still don't know the whole story - as some surmised last time there was more to it, being the fact that the tobacco was hidden, there could still be more like other evasiveness, deception or lying.

As for the posters saying the only issue is that it's legal so RCL are in the wrong, plastic handguns are also legal, but you can't wave one around in a bank without consequences as well. The way it was being carried on board also has a bearing on the situation.

Archived