Oceania versus Regent Seven Seas: Best bang for Buck?

cruisingsuze

We are planning a Mediterranean Cruise in September or October. Originally booked with Oceania (no $ yet) and as we begin to cost out the airfare, and particularly shore excursions and hotel, I am amazed by the cost escalation.

RSSC has "all inclusive" and my questions are:

1. if I want to deviate from RSSC air itinerary, is there a deviation fee like OC?

2. When RSSC says that it includes shore excursions, is that every shore excursion or just select ones?

3. Are all ground transfers included?.

4. Cuisine? It seems OC targets FOODIES-how does RSSC compare?

5. Who do folks like better and why?

Back from Regent Voyager last month and off on Oceania Marina next month, so only have half (?) the answers. [1] My understanding is that there is an air deviation fee but don't know how much that is. [2] On Regent many good shore excursions are included, but not all. Some you need to pay for. On the Voyager Dubai to Athens cruise in April we took both types and couldn't tell the difference. [3] Our ground transfers were included with Regent, but we had taken the "free" air. [4] I am hoping that Oceania cuisine is better than Regent's, which was good but not exceptional. [5] This I am not yet in a position to answer.

air deviation fee. I am not sure if that is for one or two. It is worth it, because each cruise line will book you for "free air" on planes that are not always the most convenient, i.e. extra stops, etc. My friend uses Regent deviation all the time and it seems to work for her.

Regent's tours are not all included free, and if you read on the Regent board, it "seems" like less and less are free.

My friend who uses Regent Air always gets a transfer, but sometimes has to wait until another one or two guests arrive. We personally like to do our own thing and get from A to B in the quickest way and not wait for a transfer.

I have been on both Regent and Oceania. It was the Regatta and I felt that the food was better than Regent. I hear that they are really focusing on food now and we will be on the Riviera next year. We do not like the main diningroom situation on any ship, so the new Oceania ships offer us more of what we do like.

The last time we were on Oceania they did not have shuttles to town, but it is my understanding that they do now.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Great answers from Balloon Man (and Caroldoll, too, who posted while I was compsing). I've only sailed Regent twice, but I may be able to add a little.

The air departments at Regent and Oceania are almost identical. The deviation fee (adminstrative fee for arranging cu=stom flights) is the same -- $125 per person (non-refundable), but absolutely worth it. They pride themselves in getting the bnest possible flights, and knowing your flight details early makes the rest of your planning easy. While the credit for NOT taking the cruise line air is a little more generous at Regent than at Oceania, it still is not enough to comfortably book your own, unless you have FF miles to spend.

There are "free" (nothing is really free, just included in the fare) excursions at every port, but many ports also have "premium" excursions that do incur a cost. Generally, the free excursions cover typical ship's excursions under $150, while the premium excursions discount the price by a comparable amount. In other words, that flight-seeing tour that costs $300 on Oceania might be $149 to $199 on Regent (I'm making up these examples).

While Oceania goes out of their way to provide comfortable transportation where available, Regent goes a little further and puts a slightly smaller number of people on a typical bus.

Remember, too, that on Regent, you will have paid for excursions in the fare, and if you decide it would be better to arrange a private excursion, you will have paid twice.

I can't answer about ground transfers because my Regent voyages were out of my home port in Miami, where I drive to the port, but I'm pretty sure they're included if you use their included hotel the night before the cruise -- at least from the hotel to the ship. That's a question you should ask on the Regent forum.

Cuisine -- food is the most subjective matter on any cruise line; one person's bland is another's too spicy. However, in my opinion, I have to give the tip of my hat to Oceania. They're close, because both report to the same chairman of the board, who is a dedicated foodie. I believe Oceania has alwasy had the better food, while Regent has been benefitting since their takeover by the same management. But, the emphsasis at Regent is luxury and the emphasis at Oceania is cuisine (so much so that Riviera's Godmother is famous chef Cat Cora). Mr. Del Rio (founder of Oceania and chairman of both cruise lines) once said that his single-word description of Oceania would be "taste".

I like both, but like Oceania slightly better, for almost intangible reasons. First of all, while I've made friends on Regent sailings, I think the folks on Oceania are more "comfortable" to be around, if that gives some sense of how well one seems to fit in. The older ships (Regatta and Nautica) have been favorites since they were launched, and the new ships are simply fabulous. On Regent, I like Voyager best. Remember that Regent is "all suite" and nearly "all balcony" (Navigator has a few Ocean View cabins). On Navigator and Voyager, the smallest suites are 301 square feet; Mariner's are a little smaller. If cabin space is important to you, Regent has the edge. We travel a lot in a small Class B RV with only 84 sq ft of living space, so I think Oceania's smallest cabins are palatial.

Service and ambiance are almost identical, in my opinion. I do what you have done -- compare the two (usually on a spreadsheet) and choose the one that gives me the biggest bang for the buck. Since cabin space is not really important to me, and I don't mind having to sign a chit for a drink, and I often join in or private excursion arrangements, that usually turns out to be Oceania.

Since both Regent and Oceania are excellent cruise lines the value of one compared to the other comes down to one thing...what kind of cabin you choose to sail in. To get anywhere near the kind of cabin on Oceania that even the lowest category on Regent provides you have to book a PH. And remember that on Regent not only some shore excursions are included (which to me is a waste of money since I rarely use them) but also all alcohol and gratuities. Therefore to compare apples to apples Oceania will cost the same if not more. However, where you can do well with Oceania is if you are willing to sail in a lower category cabin. Then there are definite savings available on Oceania and you still get a great cruising experience.

Since both Regent and Oceania are excellent cruise lines the value of one compared to the other comes down to one thing...what kind of cabin you choose to sail in. To get anywhere near the kind of cabin on Oceania that even the lowest category on Regent provides you have to book a PH. And remember that on Regent not only some shore excursions are included (which to me is a waste of money since I rarely use them) but also all alcohol and gratuities. Therefore to compare apples to apples Oceania will cost the same if not more. However, where you can do well with Oceania is if you are willing to sail in a lower category cabin. Then there are definite savings available on Oceania and you still get a great cruising experience.

+1

Also, if you drink little (or not at all) why pay for Regent's included alcohol costs. This also applies if you prefer to organize your own excursions.

I much preferred Oceania's food, especially on the Marina - however, this is subjective.

+1

Also, if you drink little (or not at all) why pay for Regent's included alcohol costs. This also applies if you prefer to organize your own excursions.

I much preferred Oceania's food, especially on the Marina - however, this is subjective.

I agree with Paulchili on the free alcohol issue. My wife doesn't drink much and due to a health issue, I can't drink much. So we just wind up underwriting other people's drinks on Regent! We just got off the Marina and the food was excellent - esp in Jacques and Red Ginger! Going on the Navigator in October (it's been a few years since we've been on Regent), so will be able to make a direct comparison. Also, bus excursions are not our preferred way of touring.

You might also consider Azamara. Same R ships as Oceania uses. And they include wine at lunch and dinner; and gratuities are included. Very good food, great service. Definitely a viable alternative to Oceania for the R ships.

+1

This is exactly what stops me from sailing Regent. We do not drink and we never do ship-sponsored shore excursions. Those two items affect pricing greatly.

If you add in the cost of O excursions if you would use them and factor in your bar bill if you drink a bit, it could be almost a wash.

You might also consider Azamara. Same R ships as Oceania uses. And they include wine at lunch and dinner; and gratuities are included. Very good food, great service. Definitely a viable alternative to Oceania for the R ships.

We won't do our first OCL sailing until August, but we have cruised on Azamara and I'd encourage you to look at it. While you pay $25 pp for the special dining options, the included wines at lunch and dinner were nice (not always to our taste, but fun to try different things and they were very generous with the pours). And on Azamara the excursions are 50% off if booked in advance which makes them a much better deal than what we've found on OCL so far (and it is probably just us, but we think there were more interesting excursion options on Azamara with the exception that OCL has the edge on the food excursions). Overall, we thought the foodon Azamara was very good but we are expecting better on OCL given what we've heard.

Just what I ended up doing. Since I prefer the R ships to the larger O ships, that limits the O itineraries that might interest me (just Nautica and Regatta -- I am hoping Insignia comes back!). If I add the two Azamara ships to the two Oceania R ships it gives me more options. I am trying out Azamara for the Black Sea next year.

Azamara Journey is our favourite ship. But we are trying Marina and Nautica this year so that could change. Came off Regent Voyager last month and that is a terrific ship with good free excursions, but a little let down by the food.

Regent's prices are higher than other luxury lines because they include some shore excursions. This inclusion differs from all other luxury lines, however they all include alcohol and gratuities which is a norm for lux lines. Therefore those who refuse to sail them because they don't drink or drink little and think they are subsidizing those who do are a bit off the mark imo. I never go to any of the shows which certainly costs the cruise line a lot of money which is passed on to passengers. But I don't think that I am subsidizing those passengers who do attend the shows. I have seen people eat enough food for a whole battalion of famished soldiers but I don't think I am subsidizing their gluttony. I don't play bridge and on cruises where they provide a bridge instructor I don't think I am subsidizing those who take lessons. I think you get my point. Traveling on a luxury line is not about getting free drinks. It's about a quality of service, atmosphere and freedom from having to sign for anything which makes me feel like a guest rather than a customer. Having said all that, Oceania certainly provides a more than acceptable alternative.

Regent Vs Oceania: Both are wonderful products and I would choose them hands down over Celebrity, Princess and Royal Carribbean with whom we have sailed several times. We have sailed 8 Oceania and 57 days Regent.

Food: Oceania is the best of all hands down, and you eat three times a day

Lecturers: Regent is better, but both lines need to keep a high quality to attract our attention.

Excursions: Regent has 2/3 bus loads and Oceania is 3/4 to full.. We book the cruise ship excursions because we think even though it costs more, the content is superior to the local cab driver for sure and the stress of the unknown local tour company arrangements. We have seen so many people loose money on canceled ports!

Rooms: Rooms are bigger on Regent so if you like a larger room, compare PH Oceania rooms to Regent.

Drinks: I think it breaks about even if you have wine with dinner, go to happy hour on Oceania. If you have wine, beer or cocktails during the day or drink later at night, Regent might save you money. We are on excursions much of the day so onboard free drinks during the mid day are not a plus.

The perks on Regent are better: free internet after 21 days and an hour free telephone. Oceania's internet is outrageously expensive and low quality.

Insurance: Because Regent is all inclusive the cost of insurance is higher for Regent. I am frankly getting annoyed about the costs. Oceania costs less because less included and less that has to be covered. We don't book with the cruise companies but book with travel insurance companies.

The people on both Regent and Oceania are wonderful. They are well seasoned cruisers and educated.

Basically, we decide where we want to sail at what time. Both are great experiences.

Sorry, we have sailed on 8 Oceania cruises, not days. Oceania and Regent count frequent cruisers in different units. As you can now see, we have experience on both cruise lines.

We are certainly not veteran cruisers like many on this board, but will offer feedback from our experience re excursions (2 Regent cruises and 1 Oceania cruise coming up this week). With the all inclusive pricing, we thought Regent would be so fantastic, however, we found we were able to take advantage of only 1 excursion per day. I thought perhaps we could take 2 per day (in the morning and another in the afternoon) but the schedules are designed so that you won't be able to make both...at least that was how it was on our particular sailing. And since Regent's excursions are priced so much higher than ones you can arrange privately, they are truly not 'free' as was mentioned before.

Re alcohol, we are not huge drinkers either but will enjoy a glass or two of wine w/dinner. I have to admit it's nice not to even think of cost on Regent, so if you tend to have a lot of drinks, it may end up costing about the same at the end of the day.

We also found that the food was excellent onboard the first time we were on Regent, and just 'very good' the 2nd time. When I say 'very good', I'm saying that in context to a 6* cruise line....I was expecting 'excellent' all around.

That said, we really enjoyed Regent and would sail w/them again if the prices were lower. That's why we're giving Oceania a try. Hope this helps!

I haven't been on Regent, so I can't really comment on which is better. However, I will likely stick to Oceania because: 1) My husband and I don't drink 2) We like to do things on our own rather than buy the shore excursions, and 3) We don't mind the cheaper, inside, slightly smaller cabins. For us, it's a no-brainer!

Really when it comes right down to it ....It is a personal choice

Not everyone will like all the same things each line provides for their own reasons

Only YOU can decide what works best for your budget, lifestyle, likes & dislikes when cruising

Both lines & others offer something for everyone but not all on the same cruise line

Compare the itineraries, prices, amenities, cabin sizes (if important to you) closet sizes etc...

Then decide what suits YOU best

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

Just heard from truly outstanding Regent dance instructors (Ilse and Dieter Gerlach) who have sailed exclusively on Regent for ten years (we were just on board with them two weeks ago in the middle east) Ilse and Dieter join the Oceania for the first time May 14th, when they board the Nautica in Athens. For Nautica Dancers (from experienced to beginners)--they are outstanding instructors, wonderful people--Oceania is in for a real treat.

Regent has Formal Optional nights (we had two on our seventeen day voyage last night and we dressed in formal finery along with 25% of the passengers), however you may wear elegant casual every night too. Taken from RSSC website:

Q: What is the dress code onboard the ships?

A: Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual resort wear. Formal and semi-formal attire is optional on sailings of 16 nights or more. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

Just heard from truly outstanding Regent dance instructors (Ilse and Dieter Gerlach) who have sailed exclusively on Regent for ten years (we were just on board with them two weeks ago in the middle east) Ilse and Dieter join the Oceania for the first time May 14th, when they board the Nautica in Athens. For Nautica Dancers (from experienced to beginners)--they are outstanding instructors, wonderful people--Oceania is in for a real treat.

OMG - i board Nautica on 5/24 and we love ballroom dancing. SO excited!!

And hello Wes -- hoping we get to sail together some day

Archived