Celebrity denies any Upper Elite.

WELSH WIZARDS

A few days I started an innocent little thread with the question " How many points do you need to be " Upper Elite ? " .

It evocted some strong opinions and reactions, as this sort of topic always does.

Several people said they had used the Upper Elite facilities in Michaels Club, and I myself was told by a Celebrity Staff member that even though I was Elite , that facility at that time was for UPPER ELITE only, and could not get the coke I wanted to .

I mentioned in my first post that I had emailed Captains Club a while before asking on Cruise Critic , but started the thread because I had recieved no reply.

I was a little dumfounded to recieve this email this morning. !

RE: Tier Levels

Dear Ms. Davies:

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for any delay in our response. At this time we do not offer an Upper Elite status. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our office directly at 800- ..........

Ms. Davies, we look forward to seeing you, our valued Elite Captain's Club member, onboard soon.

Sincerely,

....................[ I removed this persons name ]

Captains Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am really confused. ...and a bit miffed. If it does not exist why were we turned away. ? :rolleyes:

Jennie, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. As was mentioned in the other thread you started there were so many Elites on our TA that logistically they had to split the group and did this by offering another venue to those with more than 25 credits to have more control over numbers. In terms of allowing you a coke there they do have to draw the line at some point and that makes sense to me.

There is no official Celebrity Upper Elite level, just it seems this division of the group for Cocktail time when the numbers are so large. I think that makes perfect sense also. We were all together again in the Sky Obs Lounge for the following cruise. Michael's has been used for this purpose on other cruises I have been on when the numbers are smaller.

Phil

There is no upper elite category. On some cruises, there are so many elites that the captain's club representative on board breaks the group up into two venues....based on points. It's not a formal program and it doesn't happen very often.

Jennie, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. As was mentioned in the other thread you started there were so many Elites on our TA that logistically they had to split the group and did this by offering another venue to those with more than 25 credits to have more control over numbers. In terms of allowing you a coke there they do have to draw the line at some point and that makes sense to me.

There is no official Celebrity Upper Elite level, just it seems this division of the group for Cocktail time when the numbers are so large. I think that makes perfect sense also. We were all together again in the Sky Obs Lounge for the following cruise. Michael's has been used for this purpose on other cruises I have been on when the numbers are smaller.

Phil

I could not agree with you more Phil, so why don't Celebrity just say exactly that. I understand what they are doing, and understand the reasons why.

Why say it does not exist. ?

....and doesn't every molehill want to be a mountain.;):D

perspective_make_a_mountain_out_of_a_molehill_mousepad-p144775733080881539envq7_400.jpg

I could not agree with you more Phil, so why don't Celebrity just say exactly that.

Because it is not an official Captain's Club policy, but one made by the ship most probably on the day of sailing having due regard for the final number of Elites and whether the staffing in both venues can be made to work.

Phil

There are now so many Elites due to the success of the X brand,

with many choosing Celebrity as there 1st choice. The impact of the Solstice class has also encouraged more people to jump from RCL, and with that many have become Elite and so entitled to the perks because of their status with RCL.

Maybe the answer is to raise the thresholds so that you need to be Emerald level to achieve Elite status.

As for myself I think the perks are great, the free drink in the Sky lounge

Would never influence my decision as to or not to cruise with X, there are far more reasons why we choose to sail with Celebrity.

I have now been on 2 cruises where there are so many elites they had to split the group for logistical purposes. However I doubt that any one who answers the Captains Club

phone or emails is not really aware of what done on on the ship on a daily basis.

I have been a member for 15 plus years and have never seen anything in writing about upper elite.

Welsh Wizards, after 60+ posts on your original thread asking about Upper Elite, I thought it was made very clear it wasn't an offical status, just a demarkation of points to split the very large Elite group up between the Sky Lounge and Michaeles and that specific cruise and apparently a few others, so it should be obvious it isn't Upper Elite, but upper Elite. So why the surprise over Celebrity saying it doesnt exist?

There were many, many posts describing this and many, many posts then discussing what an additional level might be when, and I'll say again When and If, it is initiated, Then followed be many jokes, and then a few edgy posts bemoaning how those Elites lord it over others and preclude them from walkng into a venue they wish to be in at that moment.

Yup, happens when there is a group using a venue. Would we like it if we were having a private wedding party you paid extra for in a venue and people came in to sit and watch? Would those that paid extra for some special-interest group apprecaite any of us stepping in free and listening to the speakers they paid to hear?

There will always be those that resent others who get what they perceive as special treatment...kind of like getting upset everytime you are lined up at the airport gate and they call away the 1st class and then the elite members and so on.

Those that resent Elite, why not get out the torches and pitchforks and stand outside BLU where most passengers cant use and yell about those 'elite' snobs and leave us True Elites alone! I can hardly wait for the new level called 'We Are Better Than You' Capt Club level....

Den

I thought it a very decent attempt to help alleviate the crowding,

I'm sure that there could have been some other way of trying to separate the group--maybe alphabetically by height and weight?

It is really too bad that all of us old, mostly retired, folks have found out about the good points of transAtlantic travel. And these same folks seem to hang out mostly on Celebrity, causing them to get Elite status (which of course should only be limited to those of us who have as many credits as I do). And large numbers of Royal Caribbean Diamonds are coming to Celebrity and filling the seats--what next? In the good old days, when we first qualified as Elite, there probably weren't more than 300 of us on a TA.

Oh well, back to trying to select the next TA--probably based on dates, then ports, then availability, then airfare, and, finally, estimated number of Elites on board.

I thought it a very decent attempt to help alleviate the crowding,

I'm sure that there could have been some other way of trying to separate the group--maybe alphabetically by height and weight?

It is really too bad that all of us old, mostly retired, folks have found out about the good points of transAtlantic travel. And these same folks seem to hang out mostly on Celebrity, causing them to get Elite status (which of course should only be limited to those of us who have as many credits as I do). And large numbers of Royal Caribbean Diamonds are coming to Celebrity and filling the seats--what next? In the good old days, when we first qualified as Elite, there probably weren't more than 300 of us on a TA.

Oh well, back to trying to select the next TA--probably based on dates, then ports, then availability, then airfare, and, finally, estimated number of Elites on board.

OMG, why not limit the X TA cruises to ole folks only? Get serious, I am a senior and I don't want to be floating on a retirement/nursing home cruise. Regardless of how anyone made their Elite, it is still Elite and X made the rules and we should accept them. JMHO!

By the way, how many X cruises do you have? Regardless, there are others who have less and others who have more than you or me. LOL

I thought it a very decent attempt to help alleviate the crowding......

I'm sure that there could have been some other way of trying to separate the group--maybe alphabetically by height and weight?......

Love the idea! Can you see some poor Capt Club Host standing there next to a scale asking each of us to weigh in, and then giving us a slip saying we need to go to Michaels if we hit the magic number!! Boy, I would just Love to read the posts on that.....by the way, I would truely resent it if Height, being 5'7", was used as a criteria....Ive worked hard on not wasting enery on vertical growth!

Den

I vote for creating a separate group based on medical condition. At least that would give folks a common ground for talking.

Those with Diabetes, stay here. Those of you who have a pacemaker, please come with me.

Alternatively, all those taking Lipitor we will be serving goose liver crudites with your drinks in Murano :)

Being short and portly, I am not quite sure where I would be sent.

I can see it now, having been granted entrance based on my portliness by the hostess, I am refused service by the staff because of my stature.

Welsh Wizards, after 60+ posts on your original thread ..., I thought it was made very clear ....... it should be obvious ..... So why the surprise ........?

There were many, many posts describing this ... and I'll say again ..... Den

wor048_ouch_plasters_comic_strips_300main.jpg.....

We knew some people on our Eclipse TA that were asked to go to Michael's. I guess it's on a case-by-case basis, like getting invited to sit at the Captain's table. Anyway, they said it was very sedate and boring. You can't get a lot of people in there comfortably.

Love the idea! Can you see some poor Capt Club Host standing there next to a scale asking each of us to weigh in, and then giving us a slip saying we need to go to Michaels if we hit the magic number!! Boy, I would just Love to read the posts on that.....by the way, I would truely resent it if Height, being 5'7", was used as a criteria....Ive worked hard on not wasting enery on vertical growth!

Den

Unless they took the shorter people (like my girlfriend and me) first!

Phil

I agree Phil. There is no such thing as "Upper Elite". What others are reporting (they did not do this on our Eclipse sailing last month) is more a matter of crowd management. I think Celebrity is handling the situation very well... but the bottom line is, at least 1 or more new levels for Captains Club are (IMO) overdue. Let's hope Celebrity is considering it.

It is interesting though that when needed, the split is based upon # of Captain Club's credits vs:

booking date

last name

deck/cabin #

It would be interesting to know if there were any differences in the amenities provided the two groups when there has been the need to split Elites into 2 groups.

We are just off Constellation last week and there was no split on our sailing, but I read somewhere on CC thread that the next sailing, a TA, would have so many Elites that there likely would be a split into 2 groups. I think there will be a trend of more splits as more reach Elite and more Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor members sail Celebrity.

I agree Phil. There is no such thing as "Upper Elite". What others are reporting (they did not do this on our Eclipse sailing last month) is more a matter of crowd management. I think Celebrity is handling the situation very well... but the bottom line is, at least 1 or more new levels for Captains Club are (IMO) overdue. Let's hope Celebrity is considering it.

I am curious - why is another Elite level needed? Do frequent cruisers need even more benefits to be enticed to cruise with Celebrity? I would think what is currently available would be good enough since it seems that the main reason people repeat with Celebrity is because of the overall product, not the benefits? Do people really need to be rewarded to want to cruise with the same line again? :confused:

I am curious - why is another Elite level needed? Do frequent cruisers need even more benefits to be enticed to cruise with Celebrity? .............
For all the same reasons that multiple levels are created in any loyalty program, to provide additional goals with additional perks as further expressions of appreciation to reward repeat customers.

Otherwise one could ask why more than one level is needed at all.

After all, as you state, most of us would cruise with Celebrity even without the loyalty perks.

But yet another good reason for creating a higher level in this particular case is to provide Celebrity passengers the opportunity to receive reciprocity with RCI's Diamond Plus level when they cruise with RCI.

Currently there is no equivalent level on Celebrity.

Den

It looks to me that soon enough, the TRUE elite will be first time cruisers. When that group is smaller than the group of previous cruisers then it follows by definition. I can't wait to see all the new profiles popping up here on CC with "taking my first cruise with X... I am so entitled to this extra service and that upgrade!":p

For all the same reasons that multiple levels are created in any loyalty program, to provide additional goals with additional perks as further expressions of appreciation to reward repeat customers.

Otherwise one could ask why more than one level is needed at all.

After all, as you state, most of us would cruise with Celebrity even without the loyalty perks.

But yet another good reason for creating a higher level in this particular case is to provide Celebrity passengers the opportunity to receive reciprocity with RCI's Diamond Plus level when they cruise with RCI.

Currently there is no equivalent level on Celebrity.

Perhaps! But speaking from someone who has enough points on most major cruise lines to be at top tier levels in each, I find the clamoring for even more benefits to be a bit in the 'entitlement' realm. These are freebies, folk. Instead of complaining about not being recognized enough by being given even more free stuff, people should just be grateful that they are given some recognition at all and be satisfied that they are on a cruise.

Besides, I find the manner in which Elite points are earned to be a bit unbalanced. A person can sail the cheapest stateroom on several 3-day cruises and earn points faster than a person taking 12-day cruises in the highest price suite costing many thousands of dollars more. Ten 3-day cruises (30 days) to earn Elite status vs four 12-day cruises in suites (48 days) to earn Elite status. This favors people who live close to a port, which makes it much easier for them to earn the points than someone who must endure the added cost and time of flying across country to board the ship. A person who spends the absolute minimum can earn benefits faster than a person who spends many, many thousand dollars more on their cruises. Seems odd to me that loyalty program isn't based on the income Celebrity makes, only on how many times a person is on their ships. That seems contrary to most other rewards programs.

Like I said, I qualify for top tier levels on most cruise lines. I just don't feel a need to complain that they should be improved. To me that feels like being greedy. I am satisfied with a sincere "Welcome back" when I board.

I am curious - why is another Elite level needed? Do frequent cruisers need even more benefits to be enticed to cruise with Celebrity? I would think what is currently available would be good enough since it seems that the main reason people repeat with Celebrity is because of the overall product, not the benefits? Do people really need to be rewarded to want to cruise with the same line again? :confused:

Hi Boogs,

There are several reasons why I feel 1 or more levels would be ideal. As mentioned by many past Guests (and from my observations), there are crowding issues. Many sailings have 1/4 (or more) Elite Guests. IMO, Celebrity needs additional solutions on how to divvy up the crowd a bit more. At some functions, notably the 5-7pm cocktail event - it's jammed packed. I certainly realize this may not be the case on all sailings, but it's happened on the last several sailings I've been on.

I feel that 11 credits is a bit low to attain Elite, as it's fairly easy to get there. I'm not suggesting the number be raised for current members. My suggestion is to raise Select to 7-14 credits, and Elite to 15-24 credits... for NEW Captains Club members. This could set the stage for an Elite Plus level at 25+ credits.

Another item to consider: If Celebrity continues to have Guests attain Elite level at the current pace, where are they going to put everyone for the functions ? They are going to need a bigger boat :). It's not working well as is on some sailings, and is almost certain to get worse over time. That's another reason to consider at least 1 additional level.

As for loyalty, I agree that most folks stay loyal to Celebrity for their outstanding product, but many Guests enjoy feeling appreciated for loyalty to their brand. You would be surprised at the number of Guests I've spoken with over the years, who've stated how important it is for them to feel appreciated for their loyalty. While you or others may not feel as strongly about this... many others do. It's a personal choice, and everyone has varying opinions on this. Shouldn't a Guest with 50-100 credits be offered some additional benefits and courtesies than a Guest with 11 credits ? I feel that's reasonable.

Final item: Let's put aside about loyalty & levels for a moment. At the end of the day, isn't it all about marketing, increasing sales, and keeping your Guests engaged and passionate about everything Celebrity ? If new level(s) are added, and **with the right benefits**, I strongly feel that every penny spent, would return big revenues and profits to Celebrity. That's a wise business decision.

While the current benefits are excellent, I wish to make it very clear that I sincerely appreciate Celebrity's offerings. I feel that Celebrity has one of the best Loyalty program amongst their competition.

Archived