Celebrity denies any Upper Elite.

WELSH WIZARDS

=====================================================================================

I did not attempt to go into Michael's club for a free coke, as I don't think they will give you free coke, I know you can't get a coffee , I intended to go in just to get a soda on my soda card while passing .

If Michael's was holding a private event, why didn't you just get your free coke with your soda card at the Ensemble Lounge, which you have to go thru to get to Michael's. And if you were just passing, where were you going? There's nothing back aft except Dining (Blu, Tuscan, Qsine or Harvest). If you were going to dine, you could have gotten your free coke there. Just wondering. :confused:

If Michael's was holding a private event, why didn't you just get your free coke with your soda card at the Ensemble Lounge, which you have to go thru to get to Michael's. And if you were just passing, where were you going? There's nothing back aft except Dining (Blu, Tuscan, Qsine or Harvest). If you were going to dine, you could have gotten your free coke there. Just wondering. :confused:

Mike...What a strange thing for you to be wondering about. ;)

Firstly it was not a private event as far as we were aware until we were stopped, as we believed it was an Elite members meeting, and we are Elite.

There had just been a quiz in Ensemble and we were there for that , and no bar staff were around at that time .

I just wanted to get a coke , on my card, at the nearest place I was entitled to.

I made no fuss, I was not annoyed, nor slighted in any way.

I posted my original post merely to find out how many points you need to be upper elite , as I was told by the staff member who I spoke to that the room was for upper elite only.

Anyone you ask who knows me will testify to my curiosity , and hopefully my humour, and that' s the only reason I wanted to know.

I asked the Captain's club first ..they said there was no such thing, so I asked here.

When we joined Captain's Club (back in the days when Noah's Ark touted itself as the largest cruise ship afloat!), Celebrity charged $35 for the "privilege." Granted, there were fewer benefits - two-category upgrade, priority embarkation/disembarkation/tendering, some coupons, a Captain's Club reception - but there were also fewer CC members on every cruise because most people wouldn't pay to join a loyalty program. When you were one of perhaps thirty CC members onboard, you actually received special treatment and priority meant just that. I remember one cruise when the cruise director announced there were actually fifty(!) Captain's Club members onboard! In time X nixed the charge to join, benefits improved/expanded and membership exploded. Now there are literally hundreds of CC members onboard every cruise, with members sometimes compromising half or more of the entire pax load. We've been Elite for what seems like forever, we appreciate and enjoy the benefits we take advantage of but despite X's protestations to the contrary, when everyone (or close to it) onboard is considered special, no one really is. I'm not complaining, just voicing MHO.

I think it would work out better in situations like this if they had just opened any overflow venue and allow everone to decide for them selves which place they wanted to be. If one was too crowded, they could just go to the other.

[quote name='lysolqn'][B]When we joined Captain's Club (back in the days when Noah's Ark touted itself as the largest cruise ship afloat!), Celebrity charged $35 for the "privilege."[/B] Granted, there were fewer benefits - two-category upgrade, priority embarkation/disembarkation/tendering, some coupons, a Captain's Club reception - but there were also fewer CC members on every cruise because most people wouldn't pay to join a loyalty program. When you were one of perhaps thirty CC members onboard, you actually received special treatment and priority meant just that. I remember one cruise when the cruise director announced there were actually fifty(!) Captain's Club members onboard! In time X nixed the charge to join, benefits improved/expanded and membership exploded. [B]Now there are literally hundreds of CC members onboard every cruise, with members sometimes compromising half or more of the entire pax load. We've been Elite for what seems like forever, we appreciate and enjoy the benefits we take advantage of but despite X's protestations to the contrary, when everyone (or close to it) onboard is considered special, no one really is. [/B] I'm not complaining, just voicing MHO.[/QUOTE]

We also joined "back in the day" and agree. We believe that Celebrity ruined the program by doing away with the fee and making it reciprocal with RCCL.

1) eliminating the fee to join - it was a nominal fee - but I'm sure there is a percentage of people that would not have taken the time to fill out the application and mail in their check or put it on their credit card to join the Captain's Club.

2) make it reciprocal with the Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor. I'm sure they did this from a marketing standpoint, but it still has not gotten us to try RCCL. I think it's worked more in getting RCCL customers to try Celebrity.

JMO

What a tempest in a teapot. No loyalty program is perfect and it seems Celebrity has tried to improve the program and will probably continue to do so. It's only a little frosting on the cake and nothing to have any green eyed envy over.

There are a lot of things in this old world that we are not "all" entitled to. For those who have qualified in some way to enjoy those benefits, good for them, for those who don't, there are many other ways to enjoy oneself and if it's important to be one of those who "belong", pay our dues...whatever they may be.

Personally, I don't spend one minute worrying about whether someone has something I don't. I just try to make my own reality the best it can be. That usually means spending as much time as possible with those I love, whether they be family or friends.

[quote name='LLCMan']This whole thing sounds like the titanic and the way they treated the separate classes..[/quote]

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Well, yes, there are nicer perks for those who are repeat customers, just like those in suites get butler service. It's meant to be a reward for parting with larger amounts of our hard-earned cash, and in the case of Elites, parting with our cash on a regular basis. However, on Celebrity, you can be assured that those sailing in the lowest inside cabin category or sailing for the first time will get the same friendly, professional service that someone sailing in the penthouse receives when it comes to things like the waitstaff in the MDR, assistance from the concierge, or (should the need ever arise) getting to the lifeboats. Oh, sure, it's possible they might go the extra mile for someone in the PH, and there is often special recognition for cruisers that have the most cruise credits. But for the most part, it's impossible to tell who's traveling in what class or how often they've sailed with Celebrity before unless you were to ask, see them coming out of their cabin, or see them going into the Elite party between 5 and 7.

As a matter of fact, it's been noted that newcomers to X often get better treatment than old hands-- it seems as though they're more likely to receive complimentary cabin upgrades, and sometimes they're offered Elite status for their first cruise as a marketing tool to attempt to gain their repeat business. I can't say for sure, having sailed with X just twice, but both times we received an upgrade, so it's possible there's something to the upgrade theory-- I doubt it's really true, though. And apparently you need to fit a certain demographic to be offered the temporary Elite status.

It's really kind of simple....you have to earn some things. That applies to many aspects of life, but in this case and with airline frequent flyer programs, you have to actually qualify. There is no mystery how to qualify....either cruise more on the same line or fly more on the same airline.

Once again, there is no elite + program. The captain's club host(ess) decides how to handle the group on board and makes a decision on how to split, when necessary. If you don't like split by number of cruises or captain's club points, then suggest to the person charged with making the decision (the captain's club host/hostess) that the split be made on number of desserts eaten or vodka drinkers or middle initials...or maybe send all males to one venue and all females to another. It doesn't matter...the only difference is the room...they get the same canapes, drinks and so on....

However, I do realize that everyone really wants everything (of course without working for it)....heck, look at our country and the health/unemployment/welfare systems, but I digress......

[quote name='Ma Bell']What a tempest in a teapot. No loyalty program is perfect and it seems Celebrity has tried to improve the program and will probably continue to do so. It's only a little frosting on the cake and nothing to have any green eyed envy over.

There are a lot of things in this old world that we are not "all" entitled to. For those who have qualified in some way to enjoy those benefits, good for them, for those who don't, there are many other ways to enjoy oneself and if it's important to be one of those who "belong", pay our dues...whatever they may be.

Personally, I don't spend one minute worrying about whether someone has something I don't. I just try to make my own reality the best it can be. That usually means spending as much time as possible with those I love, whether they be family or friends.[/QUOTE]
Very nicely put. My thoughts exactly.

Phil

[quote name='LLCMan']This whole thing sounds like the titanic and the way they treated the separate classes..[/QUOTE]

Not at all. It's a loyalty program no different from any other loyalty program. Accumulate enough miles and you'll get a free first-class seat on your favorite airline; take enough cruises and your favorite cruise line will reward you with the appropriate perks.

However let s be honest there will have to be some sort of revamp soon since the lounge is getting very crowded and I can see X shelling out lots of money for this. I bet with RCCL "testing" the new ways coutning days (suites getting double) and being very sucessful with it something of the sort has got to be down the pipeline somewhere sooner rather than later.

[quote name='WELSH WIZARDS'].....I just wanted to get a coke , on my card, at the nearest place I was entitled to. I made no fuss, I was not annoyed, nor slighted in any way. I posted my original post merely to find out how many points you need to be upper elite , as I was told by the staff member who I spoke to that the room was for upper elite only.
Anyone you ask who knows me will testify to my curiosity , and hopefully my humour, and that' s the only reason I wanted to know.
I asked the Captain's club first ..they said there was no such thing, so I asked here.[/QUOTE]

Welsh Wizard, I'm afraid you got caught up in being recognized as one of the 'why can't I use any venue I want' back-and-forth.

You are right, you asked a question about what you thought was a new Elite tier. The original thread was quite informative, but then, as usual, it turned edgy when a poster started complaining about not getting into a lounge they wanted to be in, and then dropping putdown references and 'elitist' comments other posters reacted to.

Since you'd mentioned how you couldnt get into Michaels, even though you were Elite and it was an Elite event because they told you is as for upper Elites, it resulted in it appearing you were complaining about not getting in. You in fact were just asking about whether this was a new tier.

Funny how it works when we aren't talking face-face.

Sorry about my earlier blast. Enjoy your cruise, and hopefully, we'll meet up onboard....I'll buy you a drink at an Elite event....snicker, snicker.

Den

:D[quote name='Denny01']Welsh Wizard, I'm afraid you got caught up in being recognized as one of the 'why can't I use any venue I want' back-and-forth.
You are right, you asked a question about what you thought was a new Elite tier. The original thread was quite informative, but then, as usual, it turned edgy when a poster started complaining about not getting into a lounge they wanted to be in, and then dropping putdown references and 'elitist' comments other posters reacted to.
Since you'd mentioned how you couldnt get into Michaels, even though you were Elite and it was an Elite event because they told you is as for upper Elites, it resulted in it appearing you were complaining about not getting in. You in fact were just asking about whether this was a new tier.

Funny how it works when we aren't talking face-face.

Sorry about my earlier blast. Enjoy your cruise, and hopefully, we'll meet up onboard....I'll buy you a drink at an Elite event....snicker, snicker.
Den[/quote]
Well Denny01....it's a date. I would love to meet someone with the grace to say maybe they were a tad mistaken.

Make mine a diet coke. ...on your card not on mine. ;):D

Thank you for reading what I've actually said, and appreciating the spirit in which it was said.

[quote name='ghstudio']It's really kind of simple....you have to earn some things. That applies to many aspects of life, but in this case and with airline frequent flyer programs, you have to actually qualify. There is no mystery how to qualify....either cruise more on the same line or fly more on the same airline.

Once again, there is no elite + program. The captain's club host(ess) decides how to handle the group on board and makes a decision on how to split, when necessary. If you don't like split by number of cruises or captain's club points, then suggest to the person charged with making the decision (the captain's club host/hostess) that the split be made on number of desserts eaten or vodka drinkers or middle initials...or maybe send all males to one venue and all females to another. It doesn't matter...the only difference is the room...they get the same canapes, drinks and so on....

However, I do realize that everyone really wants everything (of course without working for it)....heck, look at our country and the health/unemployment/welfare systems, but I digress......[/quote]

You did digress. I won't make an issue of it. You are expressing your opinion.

While on a Millie Trans-Atlantic cruise, the ship had a poll to see how many passengers were Republican or Democrat. Of course, many didn't answer the poll, but it is interesting that the majority that did were overwhelmingly Republican.

Maris
Sailaway is every time you leave a port.

The elite perks are nice. I joined many years ago and paid the $10. Years ago, the only perks I used were no extra fee for air deviation and some upgrades within ov. Then as time passed, more perks were added. I have many credits beyond the 10. I enjoy the perks. The free laundry and internet are my favorites. If you are looking for an exclusive club, this isn't it. Captains Club warmly welcomes everyone who qualifies. It fosters loyalty...and it works. I have cruised other lines, but keep coming back to Celebrity. As time passes, there will be more Elite cruisers.......as long as Celebrity produces a good product. Although Celebrity isn't perfect, it does offer a good cruise for the money. Welcome all elites...and future elites. Maybe someday, there will be so many elites on board that drinks will be free throughout the ship.

[quote name='CruisingChick']I would if I had the time and the money!!! So it's really not "simple" as you put it.[/QUOTE]

You just never know when good things might happen :) I was very surprised to find that I was 2nd top cruiser on the Equinox TA with just 56 points. DW and I were top cruisers at 53 points. I was on a cruise last year where the top cruiser was in the mid 30's. Wonder what the lowest number has been?

[quote name='Orator']You just never know when good things might happen :) I was very surprised to find that I was 2nd top cruiser on the Equinox TA with just 56 points. DW and I were top cruisers at 53 points. I was on a cruise last year where the top cruiser was in the mid 30's. Wonder what the lowest number has been?[/QUOTE]

We have been cruising Celebrity exclusively since 2002 and we are just now at 25 credits. Hopefully by the end of 2012 we will be at 27, so we still have a ways to go.

I have been Elite since the inception of the program (prior to giving extra credit for suites, long trips, etc. - although most of my cruises were in suites and several were long). On my last cruise (royal suite) I wanted to have a drink in Michael's Club on the first night, but the room was closed for a private party. Being the curious type I inquired who the group was, and was told that they were VIPs. I asked what that meant, and was told that they were flagged by special treatment by HQ - perhaps they were vendors, or they knew someone, or they were in suites or had the most cruise credits. Hmmmm. I wasn't in the biggest suite, but I had a nice one, and I probably didn't have the most cruise credits on board (30 or so), so kidding around I said: that should be me! - and even though my name was not on the list, and despite my protest, the doors graciously parted and I was in. Along with many senior officers, handing out business cards and saying 'call me if you need anything'. The next morning I had a bottle of wine from one of the officers. People have heard of this party before - this is often held on the helicopter landing pad. Purpose of my story - I do think that those with very high points are treated better than other Elites. You just don't hear about it.

[quote name='MLevine']I have been Elite since the inception of the program (prior to giving extra credit for suites, long trips, etc. - although most of my cruises were in suites and several were long). On my last cruise (royal suite) I wanted to have a drink in Michael's Club on the first night, but the room was closed for a private party. Being the curious type I inquired who the group was, and was told that they were VIPs. I asked what that meant, and was told that they were flagged by special treatment by HQ - perhaps they were vendors, or they knew someone, or they were in suites or had the most cruise credits. Hmmmm. I wasn't in the biggest suite, but I had a nice one, and I probably didn't have the most cruise credits on board (30 or so), so kidding around I said: that should be me! - and even though my name was not on the list, and despite my protest, the doors graciously parted and I was in. Along with many senior officers, handing out business cards and saying 'call me if you need anything'. The next morning I had a bottle of wine from one of the officers. People have heard of this party before - this is often held on the helicopter landing pad. Purpose of my story - I do think that those with very high points are treated better than other Elites. You just don't hear about it.[/QUOTE]

The top cruiser generally receives the following perks:
1.Given a VIP tag at check in and escorted to a gathering spot for snacks and drinks, Usually Michael's Club

2. Meet and greet with Senior Staff who give cards as you mentioned

3. Escorted to cabin, usually by an Asst. Head Housekeeper

4. Invitation to a Captain's Table (Usually, but not always the Captain).

5. Female gets roses, male gets a bottle of room service wine at Recogntion gathering

6. Comp dinner with any wine up to $65 at Specialty Rest. of choice

7. I received 4 free wines througout the cruise from Senior Officers. This is not standard.We gave most of these to others.

As 2nd top cruiser on a TA we received the same perks except for Michael's Club event and all the extra wine.

[quote name='CruisingChick']We also joined "back in the day" and agree. We believe that Celebrity ruined the program by doing away with the fee and making it reciprocal with RCCL.

1) eliminating the fee to join - it was a nominal fee - but I'm sure there is a percentage of people that would not have taken the time to fill out the application and mail in their check or put it on their credit card to join the Captain's Club.

2) make it reciprocal with the Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor. I'm sure they did this from a marketing standpoint, but it still has not gotten us to try RCCL. I think it's worked more in getting RCCL customers to try Celebrity.

JMO[/quote]
I concur.

Archived