Charge for maine dining room food????

I was reading the compasses from a "live" poster and came across this tidbit...if I am understanding this correctly I am not even close to impressed. I expect the main dining room to be included in the cost of the cruise....NOT a nickle and dime you for this "special" option. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME I HAVE READ THIS INCORRECTLY!

DINING ROOM-MAINE LOBSTER

Enjoy the fine art of dining with the premium selection of Maine Lobster, grilled, broiled, or steamed to your choice with either mashed or backed(I think they mean baked) potato, drawn butter or garlic and herb $24.95 each. To learn about our Signature choice menu selections. Ask your waiter in the dining room.

The food in the MDR is included in your cruise price. However, each evening on the mdr menus they have a "signature" selection that you can order (usually from Chops Grille) that you can pay extra for.

RCI never served whole lobster in the MDR. So this is an upgrade, not neccessary to purchase if you don't chose to. There is still the Fisherman's platter with shrimp and lobster tail that is at no charge. I am glad to see some options myself. If I want a great steak, but don't want to pay for Chops, I can now purchase a Chops steak in the MDR for $14.95, half the price of going to Chops. I probably will try the whole lobster next cruise.

I was reading the compasses from a "live" poster and came across this tidbit...if I am understanding this correctly I am not even close to impressed. I expect the main dining room to be included in the cost of the cruise....NOT a nickle and dime you for this "special" option. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME I HAVE READ THIS INCORRECTLY!

DINING ROOM-MAINE LOBSTER

Enjoy the fine art of dining with the premium selection of Maine Lobster, grilled, broiled, or steamed to your choice with either mashed or backed(I think they mean baked) potato, drawn butter or garlic and herb $24.95 each. To learn about our Signature choice menu selections. Ask your waiter in the dining room.

It is an unfortunate truth in modern cruising that they nickel and dime you for everything everywhere.

The food in the MDR is included in your cruise price. However, each evening on the mdr menus they have a "signature" selection that you can order (usually from Chops Grille) that you can pay extra for.

The daily "Signature" selection in the MDR dinner menu, AFAIK, does NOT have an extra charge - rather, it's RCCL's showcase of one of the best set. There is also the Vitality (read "healthy" lighter choice set) selection - presented on its own mini menu holder. In the past week, we've ordered items from both at no extra charge whatsoever.

The lobster, available as daily special, is between 1 1/8 and 1 1/2 lbs. (asked our waiter & he said - it's averaged about 1 1/4 lb pre-cooked) but it's not fresh & alive out of the tank (delivered frozen) and at $24.95 as add-on, for those of us with easy access to New England lobsters - not exactly something we would pull out our SeaPass for - unless, you are already charging for premium bottled water, wine & beer, and premium coffee (expresso & cappuccino) anyway ...

On the Explorer of the Seas - there is also a daily "surf & turf" combo at a higher price ($34.95 but I'm 100% sure) printed in smaller prints on the right side of the menu along with everyday selection of (no-extra charge) chicken, beef & salmon, etc. - the only other specialty restaurant is Portofino as it does not have Chops, and, if someone wanted to celebrate a special occassion & order something special - it is available (minus the candlelight or background piano music)

lobster used to be offered at no charge on the second formal night of 7 night cruises or longer (Had it on Vision 2005, Grandeur 2006). Not any more, other than the fisherman's platter (where it was hard to tell if it was a small lobster or a prawn on steroids :rolleyes:). Now if you want to enhance your dining experience you can buy a Chops steak or a lobster. The attach pic is the one I took of Monarch's menu on my 3 night April 20, 2012 cruise.

1220139424_Lobsteravailableforafee.jpg.4e9dc25bec92394a2e70cd8796d0a085.jpg

The lobster being served today is the same size as has been for years. Maine lobster has not been served during the ten years in the MDR that I have been cruising with Royal Caribbean.

I wish that the cruise lines would add a couple hundred bucks per cruise and serve the Chops steak and Maine lobster. Of course then all of you would have to find something else to complain about like the price of the cruise is too high.

The daily "Signature" selection in the MDR dinner menu, AFAIK, does NOT have an extra charge - rather, it's RCCL's showcase of one of the best set.

Do not fall for the signature dish upcharge. Not worth it.

Confused...??? Is there both a "signature dish" and a "signature selection"?

I wish that the cruise lines would add a couple hundred bucks per cruise and serve the Chops steak and Maine lobster. Of course then all of you would have to find something else to complain about like the price of the cruise is too high.

Speak for yourself! I do not eat lobster and am quite happy with the steak that is included on the dining room menu. I think that having these two special options for people who want them is the right way to go. No need to increase the overall cruise cost for them.

Since I live in Maine, no way would I pay that much when I can get it for around 4-5 $ a pound here! Lol!!!

Lobster prices aren't cheap right now ANYWHERE. Maybe you're getting that in a supermarket, but not in any restaurant.

RCI never served whole lobster in the MDR. So this is an upgrade, not neccessary to purchase if you don't chose to. There is still the Fisherman's platter with shrimp and lobster tail that is at no charge. I am glad to see some options myself. If I want a great steak, but don't want to pay for Chops, I can now purchase a Chops steak in the MDR for $14.95, half the price of going to Chops. I probably will try the whole lobster next cruise.

I had the Chops filet in the MDR the last night of the cruise on Freedom and it was the most disappointing meal of the week :( it was cooked ok but certainly not the quality cut of beef it was back in 2010 when i had it on Monarch.

The funny thing is I got brave ordered the black angus sirloin a few nights before that was like shoe leather on my previous cruise and it was actually "decent" this time.

The Prime Rib, Lamb shank and duck were all EXCELLENT!

Lobster prices aren't cheap right now ANYWHERE. Maybe you're getting that in a supermarket, but not in any restaurant.

Well yeah, Mainers don't go to a restaurant to have lobster. We throw them in the pot ourselves. Lol. We even know how to open the shells ourselves too. :-)

The lobster being served today is the same size as has been for years. Maine lobster has not been served during the ten years in the MDR that I have been cruising with Royal Caribbean.

I disagree, I don´t care for lobster and in all my cruises I´ve opted once for the chops steak (thought it was worth the money). Increasing the fare a couple hundreds would not be economical for me. I rather pay as I go.

You're with the wrong cruise line.

Royal needs to reach out to as large a market as possible.

Pay-as-you-go is a much more sensible way to do it, from the economics viewpoint. It allows the main cruise price to be kept as low as possible and that is incredibly important given the number of berths Royal has to fill on every ship.

I don't care very much for maine lobster either, hence I wouldn't want it as part of the cruise fare.

I do like Portofino a lot, so I'll pay to eat there.

Haven't tried Chops, yet.

Well yeah, Mainers don't go to a restaurant to have lobster. We throw them in the pot ourselves. Lol. We even know how to open the shells ourselves too. :-)

Lol. We're from cape cod and never understood wrestling with a lobster while dressed in formal clothes. Besides, it's just not right without steamers and corn on the cob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. We're from cape cod and never understood wrestling with a lobster while dressed in formal clothes. Besides, it's just not right without steamers and corn on the cob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing!! Damn, you grabbed it first! Don't forget the butter!!! Can't have a messy meal without that butter!!!

Eventually the MDR will be, order off the menu and pay for what you order, just like restaurants ashore. They will claim better quality.

Your meal will cost about $40 and a 20% tip will be on the slip that you sign.

And eventually the quality of the food in the MDR will return to what it is now.

The WJ will be even lower quality than it is now and that will be your alternative if you don’t go to the MDR and pay.

They did(add $$ per cruise), but instead of offering more, they realized you can take away stuff and the masses will still flock...

Maine lobster prices are wholesaling at $4 to $6 per pound right now. Unless you're buying bulk from lobstermen right now, you're paying a lot more than that at any seafood market or supermarket (Maine or Boston).

When it gets in season, prices may drop. But I am hearing that prices are going to be high this year. Last summer, we were paying $12 for a twin lobster dinner at our local place (a lot more convenient than boiling our own ;)). We'll see what happens this summer. I am not a big fan of lobster on cruise ships because they are basically serving up frozen lobster. To get any taste, I am guessing that they are broiling it with a lot of butter. It's a good reason to hit a specialty restaurant on a formal night.

Archived