Charge for maine dining room food????

Since I live in Maine, no way would I pay that much when I can get it for around 4-5 $ a pound here! Lol!!!
Stop,stop,stop,you are mean to torture me with those prices.:( Any lobster I have ever seen on RCI is a name only and doesn't resemble a Maine lobster.I have to stop typing,I am drooling all over the keyboard.

Eventually the MDR will be, order off the menu and pay for what you order, just like restaurants ashore. They will claim better quality.

Your meal will cost about $40 and a 20% tip will be on the slip that you sign.

And eventually the quality of the food in the MDR will return to what it is now.

The WJ will be even lower quality than it is now and that will be your alternative if you don’t go to the MDR and pay.

I see it slightly different. I think eventually there will be a charge just to eat in the MDR, say $10/night. I don't think the food will be any better, but there will be a perception that it's better, so people will just pay it. Remember, who ever thought airlines would get away with charging for transporting suitcases!

Stop,stop,stop,you are mean to torture me with those prices.:( Any lobster I have ever seen on RCI is a name only and doesn't resemble a Maine lobster.I have to stop typing,I am drooling all over the keyboard.

Just to rub it in more - drool some more, pix from 2 years ago - lobster prices hitting rock bottom - a popular family restaurant off I-95 doing it at $7.95 & it's served with butter & corn, $4.95/lb. for takeout only and the waterfront place steamed 2.5 lbs soft shell for us for $6.95/lb - now, if RCCL is serving up something as big and as similar to ones shown here, we will be glad to pay the extra asking price & without questions for it - and they say a pix is worth a thousand words

It's lobster night at home later this evening, live (swimming in holding tank) Canadian lobster are $7.95 a lb. locally - yummy !! (my "bad" for torturing ...)

BTW, the fisherman's platter mentioned in earlier post said lobster, there was NONE served on our ship when we cruised last week - only shrimp, scallops & pieces of fish in chunks with a warm sauce over it. We did order the tiger shrimps another evening (don't recall exactly if it was the Signature Disk or Selection, whatever "exact" wordings or terms they used, no extra charge) - wasn't exactly big or large, just average & definitely not the jumbo ones in seafood restaurants. For real jumbo shrimps, tiger or not, cruise down to Cabo/Mexico - the ones they catch & sell in the local markets are HUGE !

Maine-SDC72.jpg.c9a1838f207db48cd8401ddc7276cdc7.jpg

SDC10035.jpg.a037d75fad24352dae427fa9437873b6.jpg

SDC10036.jpg.85de963d8897dccf61bf6f3772ab7323.jpg

SDC10060.jpg.577d8106b9662a938f98b6e2b11c7fb1.jpg

Just to rub it in more - drool some more, pix from 2 years ago - lobster prices hitting rock bottom - a popular family restaurant off I-95 doing it at $7.95 & it's served with butter & corn, $4.95/lb. for takeout only and the waterfront place steamed 2.5 lbs soft shell for us for $6.95/lb - now, if RCCL is serving up something as big and as similar to ones shown here, we will be glad to pay the extra asking price & without questions for it - and they say a pix is worth a thousand words

It's lobster night at home later this evening, live (swimming in holding tank) Canadian lobster are $7.95 a lb. locally - yummy !! (my "bad" for torturing ...)

BTW, the fisherman's platter mentioned in earlier post said lobster, there was NONE served on our ship when we cruised last week - only shrimp, scallops & pieces of fish in chunks with a warm sauce over it. We did order the tiger shrimps another evening (don't recall exactly if it was the Signature Disk or Selection, whatever "exact" wordings or terms they used, no extra charge) - wasn't exactly big or large, just average & definitely not the jumbo ones in seafood restaurants. For real jumbo shrimps, tiger or not, cruise down to Cabo/Mexico - the ones they catch & sell in the local markets are HUGE !

God may forgive you,I never will.:rolleyes:

Hi to all the Mainiacs! Hubby is from Thomaston and worked around Rockland. I love Camden! We have a cottage in Union.

Mainers, know how to eat "lobsta" in nice clothes and not get yucky! lol

Another side, my Grandparents lived on and Island. We would dig a pit on the rocky beach, line it with hot rocks, (from a bon fire), lay rock seaweed, and layer, (forgot the order), potatos, corn, flounder in paper bags, little necks, clams, mussels, chorice, saugys hot dogs, and I remember on the very top, Lobsta! It took several hours. When the lobster was fully red and the pounds of butter that were set on top in a pan was melted, it was done.

Then we all sat on the beach looking like the cast from Lost, piggin out!

Miss those days. Still and all, I wouldn't mind an upcharge for lobster, if it's the real deal, not frozen.

PS If you live in an area that hosts a clam bake, take advantage. Yes, it's somewhat pricey but you will never forget it. Although, it may change your taste buds forever.

"Live Maine lobster" was advertised at Chops last week on Enchantment. I made the mistake of ordering it. Now I am from Maine (although now living in Maryland) and know what Maine lobster tastes like and how it should look when you crack open the shell. I sent the first one back--over cooked. The second one arrived and it had a slight chemical smell and it too seemed overcooked or too long in the tank. The chef said they had purchased them the week before in Boston (OK, so not even a Maine lobster) and agreed that they had been held too long. He took them off the Chops menu. But lobster was still being offered in the MDR as Chops. Didn't see any of them come out but hey, it's a large dining room! The lobster on the fisherman's plate was a frozen tail and I saw people at the next table really struggling to cut it--also not a good sign. No thanks. I'll eat the real thing at home.

"Live Maine lobster" was advertised at Chops last week on Enchantment. I made the mistake of ordering it. Now I am from Maine (although now living in Maryland) and know what Maine lobster tastes like and how it should look when you crack open the shell. I sent the first one back--over cooked. The second one arrived and it had a slight chemical smell and it too seemed overcooked or too long in the tank. The chef said they had purchased them the week before in Boston (OK, so not even a Maine lobster) and agreed that they had been held too long. He took them off the Chops menu. But lobster was still being offered in the MDR as Chops. Didn't see any of them come out but hey, it's a large dining room! The lobster on the fisherman's plate was a frozen tail and I saw people at the next table really struggling to cut it--also not a good sign. No thanks. I'll eat the real thing at home.

Yeah, they use amonia to kill the "fishy" smell. Yuck! It's sad that some folks don't know that fish doesn't smell or taste "fishy" when it's fresh. Even frozen fresh, (though not as good).

On our Canada/New England cruise and the subsequent repositioning cruise on Jewel of the Seas, they actually served fresh Maine lobster both in the specialty restaurants and in the main dining room. This was a delight for my wife but since I am not a fan of lobster, either of the fresh or frozen variety, it mattered very little to me.

As far as the main dining room eventually becoming a la carte, I have been reading this prediction for several years now but with the exception of isolated items such as the Chops steak, there has seemed to be no movement in that direction. Tastes are very individualized and opinions about food are totally subjective so claims that the quality has somehow dramatically diminished is contrary to my and many others experience. I think that our memories sometimes play tricks on us and make the past seem much better than it actually was.:)

I see it slightly different. I think eventually there will be a charge just to eat in the MDR, say $10/night. I don't think the food will be any better, but there will be a perception that it's better, so people will just pay it. Remember, who ever thought airlines would get away with charging for transporting suitcases!

Yes, that's more likely.

Yes, that's more likely.

You have a point. I still have a problem picturing the meeting where someone suggested that people would pay outrageous amounts for bottles of water, even when the tap water was first rate.:)

(quote) Item No.: 08

Site: Potable Water-Cross-Connection Control Program

Violation: On the list of cross connections, the number of devices in the photo lab was incorrect (7 vs. 5) and the type of device in the crew launderettes was listed as ORAS, but Watts 9D devices were installed.

Recommendation: Update the cross-connection control program list.

Item No.: 08

Site: Food Service General-Chilled Water and Brine Lines

Violation: The chilled water and brine lines for ice machines, undercounter refrigerators, and frozen yogurt machines were not uniquely identified.

Recommendation: Uniquely identify all refrigerant brine lines in all galleys, pantries, and cold rooms to prevent cross-connections. (unquote)

These don't sound like really dangerous matters. In fact it sounds like Royal is trying it's best to keep us safe. But, like a report on CC says:

(quote) From our research, it seems that there is a low probability that any tainted water -- if there was any at all -- contained enough chemicals to cause serious harm to travelers. Still, people can and do get sick on cruise ships with everything from Norovirus to Legionnaires' disease, so it's up to you to decide whether the risk to your health is great enough to take precautionary measures -- just as you would when deciding whether to eat in a restaurant that might give you food poisoning or sleep in a hotel that might have bed bugs. If you want to see how your cruise ship fared during its latest CDC inspection or want to read what standards ships are supposed to adhere to, visit the CDC's Web site.

--by Erica Silverstein, Features Editor (unquote)

I choose bottled or at least more filtered water. In my case I actually have to.

Lol. We're from cape cod and never understood wrestling with a lobster while dressed in formal clothes. Besides, it's just not right without steamers and corn on the cob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....and don't forget a cup of clam chowder and strawberry shortcake for dessert !!!! :):D;)

Not singling out anyone in particular but............

Why is it everytime the subect of Lobster is brought up on this board, the people from the extreme Northeast, Maine in particular, have to jump in and tell us how cheap they get lobster "back home" and how terrible the lobster is that is served on the ship? :confused::D:cool:

Are they trying to rub it in our faces and make us jealous?

It reminds me of those around here that have to mention their "Im D+" C&A rank before everything they say. :cool:

Lobster is actually my least favorite seafood...I will eat it but its certainly not my favorite....I would much rather have good Gulf shrimp over a live Maine lobster and have a connection that I can get it fresh and get it cheap........I dont bring that up everytime shrimp cocktail is brough up on this board and say how terrible the shrimp is on board though LOL

Im not flaming.........Im just real curious :confused: Maybe its not blatant or intentional but it sure seems that way sometimes.

Why is it everytime the subect of Lobster is brought up on this board, the people from the extreme Northeast, Maine in particular, have to jump in and tell us how cheap they get lobster "back home" and how terrible the lobster is that is served on the ship? :confused::D:cool:

Are you they trying to rub it in our faces and make us jealous?

It reminds me of those around here that have to mention their "Im D+" C&A rank before everything they say. :cool:

Lobster is actually my least favorite seafood...I will eat it but its certainly not my favorite....I would much rather have good Gulf shrimp over a live Maine lobster and have a connection that I can get it fresh and get it cheap........I dont bring that up everytime shrimp cocktail is brough up on this board and say how terrible the shrimp is on board though LOL

Im not flaming.........Im just real curious :confused: Maybe its not blatant or intentional but it sure seems that way sometimes.

But shrimp doesn't look at you while you are eating it;) Don't get me going on shrimp, Oh man, give me a platter of that topped with a Lobster, haddock and whatever else anyday. Honey pack the kids, going out to grab some seafood!!!

Are they trying to rub it in our faces and make us jealous?

They are just proud of this wonderful food.Ah lobster with butter and lemon,you can keep the veggies.:p

But shrimp doesn't look at you while you are eating it;) Don't get me going on shrimp, Oh man, give me a platter of that topped with a Lobster, haddock and whatever else anyday. Honey pack the kids, going out to grab some seafood!!!

Not necessarily true. Depends on where you get your shrimp, and how it's prepared. :D

The lobster experts in New England know what they are talking about, pointing out frozen isn’t the same as the real thing.

Well, I’m from Maryland and I can tell you that the thing that they are serving from time to time in the MDR, that they call a crab cake, is nothing of the kind.

pointing out frozen isn’t the same as the real thing.

Thats kind of well, DUH in my opinion and about as obvious as the sky is blue. Yes, we ALL know that tail they serve in the MDR is frozen and is not to be confused with a real Maine Lobster.

Im sure we could all play this game......Im from Georgia, where Vidalia onions are grown......maybe I should start picking on the Vidalia Onion Tart.....Nah, I wont do that. I like it pretty good but sure isnt what we here in Georgia know as Vidalia Onion Tart.

Good grief Joe. You seem to dislike everything about Royal Caribbean. Why, if you dont mind me asking, are you here exactly?

I found the little card in the MDR dinner menu advertising the Chops filet and the lobster for a surcharge to be pretty tacky....have never seen a surcharge on a mass market cruise Dinner menu except for alcoholic beverages, soda, specialty coffee...never for the food items...Hope more things arent changing in that direction...

I found the little card in the MDR dinner menu advertising the Chops filet and the lobster for a surcharge tacky....have never seen a surcharge on a mass market cruise line except for aloholic beverages, specialty coffee...never the food items...Hope more things arent changing in that direction...

It started with the filet 3 or 4 years ago I believe and there was almost a riot here on the board LOL! So much that Cruise Critic even wrote an article about it, posted it on the front page and quoted several members.

I personally dont care if they offer "upcharge" items in the MDR. They just need to be sure its quality goods and honestly, I will say it again, my filet was the most disappointing meal of the week this past cruise. I will not be ordering it again. It was excellent in 2010.

The lobster being served today is the same size as has been for years. Maine lobster has not been served during the ten years in the MDR that I have been cruising with Royal Caribbean.

I wish that the cruise lines would add a couple hundred bucks per cruise and serve the Chops steak and Maine lobster. Of course then all of you would have to find something else to complain about like the price of the cruise is too high.

Exactly. We don't even eat in the MDR any longer. Why should I pay a couple of hundred dollers more so others can eat an over priced lobster?

The lobster experts in New England know what they are talking about, pointing out frozen isn’t the same as the real thing.

Well, I’m from Maryland and I can tell you that the thing that they are serving from time to time in the MDR, that they call a crab cake, is nothing of the kind.

How does a lobster being frozen then render it not the real thing? No, it isn't how lobster is served around here but freezing a lobster doesn't make it into something else.

How does a lobster being frozen then render it not the real thing? No, it isn't how lobster is served around here but freezing a lobster doesn't make it into something else.

Lobster loses some taste when frozen. But it's still real. Same with most frozen foods.

Lobster loses some taste when frozen. But it's still real. Same with most frozen foods.

Exactly. Just like a Maine lobster is still a Maine lobster even if it happens to cross the border on the ocean floor into Massachusetts or Rhode Island.:D

Archived