How many vacations (cruises) in a year to avoid burnout

lrn2cruise

I am burned out right now. Just from the day to day living and life.

We have one school aged son, so we are on a school schedule. It is hard to get away on that schedule. Our last vacation get-away was FOS in August. We did nothing Christmas or Spring Break. We are leaving this coming Friday to the beach here in Texas for a whole week in a beachfront condo. No Windjammer:( but a kitchen to prepare meals:( but I am excited to finally get away.

So, I think August to May is way to long to go without a break from the daily day to day. Those of you that have broken your cycle of burn out, how many cruises, vacations do you take in a years time? any other thoughts ideas are welcomed!

We are planning on skiing this Christmas (to tough to skip from last year) and I a hoping to get another vacation in this summer before school starts up. Oasis is already booked solid for August 5th:eek:

We have one school aged son, so we are on a school schedule. It is hard to get away on that schedule. Our last vacation get-away was FOS in August. We did nothing Christmas or Spring Break. We are leaving this coming Friday to the beach here in Texas for a whole week in a beachfront condo. No Windjammer:( but a kitchen to prepare meals:( but I am excited to finally get away.

So, I think August to May is way to long to go without a break from the daily day to day. Those of you that have broken your cycle of burn out, how many cruises, vacations do you take in a years time? any other thoughts ideas are welcomed!

We are planning on skiing this Christmas (to tough to skip from last year) and I a hoping to get another vacation in this summer before school starts up. Oasis is already booked solid for August 5th:eek:

Last year we took 4 cruises plus a couple of long weekend trips - that burned me out and I won't do it again. We just returned from a 14 night TA I don't have any more cruises planned for this year, but I might take a fall cruise on the spur of the moment or a land vacation?????? We boat in the summer, so we rarely take summer vacations. For me the perfect mix is a winter cruise and another in the fall with a few long weekend trips during the year. Flying is such a hassle anymore, I'd rather take two longer cruises and fly less.

The limiting factor is only having 6 weeks of vacation time from the job. I try to combine it with holidays to get somewhere around 7-8 weeks off out of it.

This will result in 2 cruises usually 12-nights or more and some shorter land trips. Sometimes a couple days off at home are welcome too.

Yes, I mean burn out from life and routine. I am "she" by the way. I guess it is hard to tell on just a post. No harm taken:)

Agree! On burn out of bank account and finances with a cruise! I think that is why there is burn out with life, because the hard works are the ones with cash to vacation. Our land condo is a fraction of a cruise, but like I said before-we cook unless we go eat out. No Windjammer

Agree! Flying is a pain and hassel now a days. DH just wants to drive to Galveston and get on a cruise (we live in Texas )

I have 6 weeks off a year also, we try to take some type of vacation every quarter of the year. We try to cruise once a year, fly somewhere else once or twice a year and drive somewhere atleast once/twice. Usually the cruise and fly vacations are more than 1 week. We get more bang for our money that way. Some of these include staying with friends/relatives.

My problem is not having sufficient vacation time and funds to handle the desired cruise schedule. I would love to sail once a quarter.

Our last cruise was in November, and I can honestly say I am going thru "withrdrawl" wanting a cruise. With our upcoming cruise again in November, I'm not sure I will make it.

Started yesterday exploring a cruise in August / September, even a quick 3-day weekend would do the trick. So, if I can find a good deal, off we will saile - otherwise, I will have to wait until November.

We use to do at least two real vacations a year with at least one or two weekends away. We have a baby now so things have changed. Now we will plan on doing one "big" vacation a year (not necessarily expensive, just a full week) and a few shorter or weekend trips away.

Even though we both are retired, we were doing 1 cruise every couple years if we were lucky, otherwise going out with our RV. However I can handle 2 weeks in our RV, then need to be home so a full time RVer I am not. We like to get away at least once a year and our local club, it enables us to take off in our RV for get aways.

Last year we did 42 nights on a cruise ship - I get 26 days vacation!

I build around national holidays and weekends to make it work

This year alas only 26 nights on a ship

For the last 3 years we have taken ever vacation from work as a booked trip - I work excessively long hours with my time off interrupted by emails and phone calls and its the guaranteed way to leave the blackberry etc at home and say -catch me if you can

Those trips maybe hiring an apartment, taking away the RV or cruise but my motto is

I work to live, not live to work and I work to pay for vacations

I 'virtual vacation' all year long -- keeps me sane :D. We really only have funds/time for 1 good vacation per year and then maybe a weekend or a few day trips. Our last vacation was April 2011 we sailed on the Disney Dream and we are waaaayyy overdue. We only cruise every other year but I would love to cruise more often, it's my favorite kind of vacation. Next month we're going to Williamsburg, VA but next April we'll finally be sailing on FOS!!!! I am soooo excited for that trip, we're celebrating my parents' 60th anniversary and Dad's 80th b-day with the whole family. This is my 4th booked cruise with Royal, unfortunately haven't sailed yet :(.

Last year we took 4 cruises plus a couple of long weekend trips - that burned me out and I won't do it again. We just returned from a 14 night TA I don't have any more cruises planned for this year, but I might take a fall cruise on the spur of the moment or a land vacation?????? We boat in the summer, so we rarely take summer vacations. For me the perfect mix is a winter cruise and another in the fall with a few long weekend trips during the year. Flying is such a hassle anymore, I'd rather take two longer cruises and fly less.

BBM

Absolutely, positively!!! Have also noticed that the price of airfare has risen to the point where on Mediterranean cruises, the cost to fly exceeds the cost to cruise (suites excluded).....

We try for two 10 to 12 nighters a year, usually in the colder weather. I feel that the lower utility/heat bills will at least pay for the tips. Anything to talk me into a cruise.

The last few years we have rented a 9 bedroom ocean front beach house in South Carolina with 8 other couples. We rent after Labor Day when the price drops in half. No Windjammer, but it all works out. We feel like Royality as each couple has their own bath, TV. The house has multiple decks, elevator, private heated pool, hot tub, outdoor kitchen, free wifi, and NO kids allowed, That is OUR rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: This year we have it booked for 2 weeks.

We haven't been anywhere fun, just funerals since Feb/Mar on Enchantment and already have the bug, but we NEED a new roof and one must put priorities in order:mad:

If only they had a cruise to places like Vegas I would cruise more then twice a year. But do vacation every month for a few days, puerto Rico,dc,Vegas,keys,etc...if I get really bored its a 5 minute trip to a tiki bar on the beach to eat crab legs or I can sit by my pool and boil.....while I work :) it's just like the lido deck minus kids in the hot tub or pool!

Four or five months of working straight will burn me out :( I went on a 12 night cruise (19 days total vacation) last Aug/Sept. I got home on Labor Day and didn't take another vacation day until mid-March and didn't have another two week vacation until last month. I was SO grumpy at work before my April trip. I returned much more relaxed and happy.

I don't have another cruise booked until next March :eek: but am planning to book something for January, I just don't know what yet.

That is WAY too long in between cruises though and I'm sure I'll be climbing the walls at work in a couple more months so I'm hoping to take a week off in September for a land vacation. It won't be as relaxing as a cruise because a lot of driving will be involved, but at least I won't be in the office :D

I live where you do, and haven't take a Galveston cruise yet. :p I finally booked my first one for November 2013. I guess the Western itineraries have never really appealed to me, and with only Carnival and RCI (part time) there wasn't much to choose from and RCI was SO expensive for a solo traveler. I ended up with better deals, even with airfare factored in, to travel from Florida or San Juan. Now I'm booked on Princess for my Galveston cruise because it's several hundred dollars less than the same cruise on RCI. I'm very happy Princess is coming to Texas.

5 since last May. Barbados, Med cruise, Penang, Christmas in Egypt and Gran Canaria. Still not enough in my book! I retired last August, so many more to come I hope, no kids to leave the money to, so I'm gonna spend it! :D

For the last few years, this has been my vacation routine: a major trip in the fall (cruise or land), Vermont in December, long weekend somewhere in the spring, and Boston in summer to go to a ballgame at Fenway. This can be intersperced with weekend jaunts on occasion.

I have a 16yo DS and a 12yo DS. The 16yo thinks he knows everything and as such doesn't have to do his homework or anything else assigned by the teachers and they will still pass him. At the end of every semester, we are biting nails and pulling hair trying to get his grades up - he is very smart, but he's never really had to work for his grades and the school he's in now is likened to going from 8th grade to college. The 12yo is also very smart, but it's not his grades that stresses me. He's a little jock! He played football in the fall, practiced with the cross country team all winter and spring, he's been playing baseball since March and he starts swim team on Tuesday (unless his baseball team wins it's playoff game tomorrow night). Does my life resemble yours? :)

We actually try to do one family vacation a year. This year we went to Disney World for Spring Break - summer will be taken up with college tours, basketball camp, baseball camp, football camp, Boy Scout camp, church camps and Boy Scout High Adventure trip. Most summers we rent a place in Hilton Head and while I have to cook, it's still very relaxing. Next summer will be 2 weeks in Alaska,

In addition to the family vacation, I get away either right before or right after Thanksgiving for a long (4 days usually) weekend to go Christmas shopping. My mom has gone with me the last 4 years and we get 95% or more of our shopping done in those 4 days! While it may not sound relaxing, just knowing that I don't have to watch out for kids or play chauffeur and that I'm getting my Christmas shopping done at a very leisurely pace is priceless! This year I may even take some wrapping paper and start wrapping gifts before I even get home - that way I don't have to worry about hiding everything!

Lately, my oldest son and I have been going on trips to tour colleges. It's exhausting, but fun at the same time.

While all my travels aren't necessarily relaxing, they do help to break up the monotony of the day to day and relieve some stress. I've already told my DH that when the youngest goes off to college, he and I will be cruising somewhere - our "Empty Nest" cruise as friends of ours called theirs!

Archived